#66: "I'm Clay Aiken, and I Approved This Message!"

merrieeee

On the road again!

@MlbMohala: @clayaiken is scheduled 2 attend Grand Opening today of Randolph Co. Democratic Hdqrts 208 Sunset Ave Asheboro @RCDemParty @ClayForNC #nc02

Do you think he ever says "I just want to sleep?"

• Like 1

On the road again!

@MlbMohala: @clayaiken is scheduled 2 attend Grand Opening today of Randolph Co. Democratic Hdqrts 208 Sunset Ave Asheboro @RCDemParty @ClayForNC #nc02

Do you think he ever says "I just want to sleep?"

I thought that a few times myself! I guess maybe this change in focus though means that he needs less sleep.....hee.

Catching up from overnight:

From Facebook:

Rebekah Todd‎Randolph County Democratic Party

Clay Aiken and Tommy Davis

10288768_10204439755256399_581891928584801741_n_zps91b5d60c.jpg

Rebekah Todd ‎Randolph County Democratic Party

Clay Aiken and Alice Todd

10561809_10204439748536231_1740446584528838587_n_zpsa342f85f.jpg

10414909_10204431913180352_9158629223744303798_n_zpsa192349d.jpg

The comments on this one were cute:

Adrienne Grant I hope he wins!!!

August 1 at 5:43pm

Rebekah Todd Adrienne, from your lips...

August 1 at 5:46pm

Beverly Jan Wilson Meredith Love that picture, and I second Adrienne!

August 1 at 6:12pm

Elvira Ramirez Oh I love this guy! Go get em Clay!

August 1 at 7:38pm

RoseMary Beauchamp Delaney He is so cute, darn he's gay so no young guy to take care of me. Oh well love him anyway

August 1 at 7:40pm

Victoria Lee White I'm a clay mate

August 1 at 8:20pm

Melvin Williams Violet has met the star now. Wow!

6 hours ago

More from the Randolph County Democrats Facebook page:

2e110274d004b2e90830cd90eaddbe02_zps7eb0eafc.jpg

efe535fa38626f6903af4c8a5e4157be_zpse16b3d54.jpg

f038ff6fbf5cc040d2e81590e55b3684_zpsdb919792.jpg

2014-08-03_1131_001_zps3e5fd888.png

And this one is older...

2014-08-03_1131_zpsb2321ce1.png

Finally, also this from Facebook. Looks like Clay partied a little yesterday too. *sigh*

Taylor Phyfer Harper

7 hrs ·

Today I Had The Honor Of Hosting A Birthday Party For One Of The Sweetest Little Boys I've Ever Met. He Kept Giving Me Random Hugs & Of Course He Thought I Was The Coolest Person Ever Because I Work At DefyGravity! I Had An Awesome Time With Him & His Family Because They Made Me Feel Very Much A Part Of The Party As Opposed To Just A Hostess. I'm So Glad That Clay Aiken Decided To Have His Sons Birthday Party At The Coolest Place In Raleigh! So Many Laughs Plus A Good Time! Happy Birthday Parker!

Taylor Phyfer Harper It Was Wonderful Deirdre O'Connor Donadio. The Kid Is Definitely A Character. He Made Me Feel Like I Was Back In Our Classroom. I Haven't Had That Feeling In A While. Most Certainly Is A Good Feeling. Miss You Always

Western Wake Dems Candidate Potluck

Sunday, August 24, 2014 at 02:30 PM

Cary Senior Center in Cary, NC

In addition to hearing from Congressional candidates Clay Aiken (2nd District) and Brenda Cleary (13th District), other candidates planning on attending this meet and greet event currently include: Senator Josh Stein, Rep. Duane Hall (House District 11), Bryan Fulghum (Senate district 17), Gale Adcock (House District 41), county commissioner candidates Sig Hutchinson, Matt Calabria, John Burns, Jessica Holmes and Judge Louis Meyer. Please bring something to share (appetizers, salads, snacks, deserts). Plates, utensils, cups, drinks, and napkins provided.

Wonder what dish Clay will bring? Probably pineapple salad. Hee.

New email about the raffles, this one sent from Nick:

Hello, CA4NC Gold Members!

I hope you all had a wonderful weekend. It is time to reveal last week's raffle winner. Everyone, please join me in congratulating DEBORAH BRAND of Paoli, IN. Deborah, you are the recipient of a personalized copy of Clay's 2010 "Tried and True" album.

CA4NC Gold Circle Weekly Raffle #6

This week’s raffle prize is:

• A personalized copy of the book "Chicken Soup for the American Idol Soul".

The next raffle winner will be announced on Monday, August 11th.

Thank you and good luck!

Nick Leisey

Clay Aiken For North Carolina

image_zps201ee110.jpg

From this link: http://www.ncdp.org/sites/ncdems/files/GNAD-21.pdf

image1_zps224acb42.jpg

From this link: http://northcarolinamusichalloffame.org/2014-induction-ceremony/

And from Twitter:

Oonagh McQuarrie ‏@TheNog91

@clayaiken will visit the newsroom tomorrow for a tour. #itsonlyoneroom #shorttour #almostaceleb

Oonagh McQuarrie

@TheNog91

Reporter for The Daily Record, Dunn NC. Lover of coffee, craft beers and big dogs.

Dunn, NC · oonaghbmcquarrie.wordpress.com

Jamie Salmon ‏@heelsmama4

@clayaiken at church 2night supporting our Pray for Peace Rally! sadly our community has dealt with murders! pic.twitter.com/yOnWEFj7k0

BuPdbOwIgAAKao__zps1e6b1fa9.jpg

From Facebook:

Tom M. Woerner

42 mins ·

ok any of my politically minded friends. I am interviewing Clay Aiken tomorrow. any thoughts on what you would like to know from him? any help appreciated.

More about the upcoming Clay Aiken Day:

Clay will be in Harnett at Forward NC phone banking office. He has lunch in Dunn & a "Meet the Candidate " event in Western Harnett in the evening. -lots of people are inquiring-hope this helps.

Clay retweeted.

@ChrisRey4NC: At a defense trade show in Fayetteville. Great 2 see @clayaiken supporting the defense industry. Who is not here is his opponent.

@ChrisRey4NC: The 2nd Congressional District of NC has a strong active military and veterans presence. I'm a veteran and I support @clayaiken

@DrewBrooks: "@FtBraggNC is an $11B industry for NC" Chinn said. That's $33M a day. 2nd largest employer in state.

@DrewBrooks: "@FtBraggNC is the center of the universe. The E 9-1-1 for our nation... It's invaluable." Chinn said.

@DrewBrooks: "@FtBraggNC will continue to be the premier installation in our Army," Chinn said in closing.

From Facebook:

Tammy Jacona Murphy

42 mins ·

Hi FB look who I just met. Being next to the bakery definately has it's advantages.please vote for Clay Aiken in nov

Bessie Mclaughlin He have my family vote

Bessie Mclaughlin And am start tellin everone around here so they can tell the people at church and other church they go to we had already said we were voting for him

clay_zps12779e6c.jpg

Kim Clardy

8 mins ·

Never know who you will meet in little ol' Dunn! Clay Aiken came in for lunch today at Sherry's Bakery

Sue Mceneny love him!

clay1_zpsd7bd04a5.jpg

I'm on it! I had to leave work early today, as my husband and I picked up a new/used car for him! His car had 190,000 miles on it; the new one only has 56,000!

Anyway...

The picture from above:

BuTL0ZoCUAE5oKK_zps44a5d697.jpg

Miscellaneous pictures...and so damn cute!

clay1_zpsa81e710a.jpg

clay_zps71ba823d.jpg

clay2_zps55a9f72c.jpg

From Instagram:

clayforncThanks to @faytechcc and #NCMBC for letting me join in for today's NC Defense & Economic Development Trade Show. Great event to support the military community and NC business! #NCDTS #ncpol #nc02

2014-08-05_1758_zpsdd196a15.png

Tom M. Woerner

8 hrs ·

thanks to all submitted possible questions for Clay Aiken. I used many of them. was actually impressed with the man's knowledge of the issues. Daily Record tomorrow will feature my interview.

Jeanette Martinson at Fayetteville Technicial Community College

11 hrs · Edited ·

Breakfast w/ Clay Aiken, late lunch with my bestie. Overall I can say I've had a pretty good day

Samuel Ferguson @SamFerg96

So I made Clay Aiken's food today.... He ordered a Reuben.

And here's the article mentioned above, from The Daily Record. You have to register to see it, so jclay did so, and I'm going to post the article here. (Thanks jclay!)

Aiken Wants Debate With Ellmers

By TOM WOERNER

Of The Record The candidate seeking the District 2 U.S. House of Representatives seat was in Harnett County Tuesday — meeting voters and local members of the media, but he had another meeting in mind — with incumbent Renee Ellmers in a debate to discuss the issues.

Former “American Idol” runnerup Clay Aiken, who is now a candidate for Congress, was in the local area after he attended an event to discuss military issues at Fort Bragg. He made multiple stops in Harnett County including The Daily Record and Sherry’s Bakery.

Mr. Aiken said he would accept an offer from a Raleigh media outlet to debate Mrs. Ellmers, who lives in Dunn when not representing the area in Washington. The incumbent has not said publicly whether or not she will accept the invitation.

Mr. Aiken said the public deserves to hear from the candidates in the race.

“They need to see us stand up next to each other and answer the same questions,” Mr. Aiken said. “Voters have the right to hear us.”

Mr. Aiken said he is ready to discuss multiple issues with the people and with his opponent.

One of those issues is federal funding to help Harnett County and other areas facing overcrowding because of military expansion. Schools in several locations around the county will open later this month with more students than available seats. He said Washington has a responsibility to help.

“If the military brings troops to the area and it causes overcrowding in the schools there should be federal money to help pay for a solution to the problem,” Mr. Aiken said, adding that is just one issue where the area is not being properly represented.

“People are tired of a do nothing Congress and Mrs. Ellmers is a prime example of that,” Mr. Aiken said. “People want to be listened to and that is not happening in the district right now.”

He said the current Congress does not want to work together.

“There are 535 people up there who are getting nothing done. Both sides need to start working together so we can make some progress. People need to be willing to compromise,” said Mr. Aiken.

There are 435 members of the U.S. House of Representatives another 100 members of the U.S. Senate.

Mr. Aiken said he is learning the ropes of being a politician as he makes his way around the campaign trail in an attempt at his first elected office.

He said he is in it for one rea­son: to serve the people.

“I don’t need the notoriety, I got that on ‘American Idol.’ I wish I didn’t have it now,” he said. “It would be nice to go into a grocery store and not have someone recognize me immedi­ately. I am also not doing it for money, I don’t need it.”

He said he has people of all po­litical parties who are encourag­ing him.

“People of all parties are tired of the same old thing in Washing­ton,” he said. “People are fed up with nothing happening in Con­gress to make their life better.”

Mr. Aiken, a trained educator and musician, said he realizes he has a lot to learn but said he has definite opinions on the issues in­cluding the ongoing crisis on the Mexican border, and America’a role in the brutal war in Israel.

He said immigration needs to be addressed carefully, largely because of the significant role Hispanics play in the local econ­omy.

“We need to secure the bor­der and we need to provide the resources to do that,” Mr. Aiken said.

He said it is not feasible to send massive numbers of illegal aliens back to their native coun­try, which is often proposed by Republican lawmakers.

“Sending 11 million people back would cost millions of dol­lars, it is just not feasible” Mr. Aiken said “Those people pay sales taxes here and they pro­vide needed employment. We have to learn to deal with them here.”

He said the American role in Israel, where fighting the Hamas organization remains on­going, is a delicate issue. “We have a strong ally in Is­rael and we need to respect that relationship,” Mr. Aiken said. “We need to be there for our friend but our role should be limited. I would be hesitant to send American troops in there.”

Mr. Aiken earned the right to challenge Mrs. Ellmers with a narrow primary win over for­mer North Carolina Secretary of Commerce Keith Chrisco in May. Mr. Chrisco died in a fall shortly after the primary.

Mr. Aiken pointed out he is not a stranger to the local area. As a high school student, he performed several times at the Stewart Theatre with area sing­ers.

Team Clay tweet:

Clay Aiken ‏@ClayForNC · now

In Cumberland County today. Great to tour the courthouse with Sheriff Butler and meet with the staff! #ncpol #nc02

BuXVeoNCQAA1mAL_zps3e814790.jpg

From Facebook:

Clay Aiken took a selfie with mom haha Cindi Baker O'Malley — with Cindi Baker O'Malley.

image_zps12328577.jpg

From Instagram:

Just met Clay Aiken at work! #justanotherdayattheoffice #americanidol #clayaiken ����http://instagram.com/p/rXFU-6Pmwg/

Clay_Picture_zpsc6f9fc86.jpg

From Facebook:

A surprise visit for Clay Aiken today as we were packing book bags for homeless school children in Cumberland County. #clayniak

image_zps17c85a42.jpg