#66: "I'm Clay Aiken, and I Approved This Message!"

merrieeee

fayobserver.com

2nd District candidate Clay Aiken makes campaign stop at Fayetteville Technical Community College

2nd District Candidate Clay Aiken Makes Campaign Stop at Fayetteville Technical Community College

Posted: Thursday, August 21, 2014 5:56 pm | Updated: 6:17 pm, Thu Aug 21, 2014.

By Paige Rentz Staff writer

Clay Aiken on Thursday continued his campaign for the 2nd Congressional District with a visit to Fayetteville Technical Community College.

Aiken joined FTCC President Larry Keen and veterans services coordinator Matt Thewes for a tour of the campus' All American Veterans Center. While there, Aiken emphasized the need for the federal government to do a better job helping members of the military transition from active duty to civilian life, saying there is a gap in services for many veterans.

"It's like jumping over a river from bank to bank," Aiken said, "and too many people have fallen in the water."

The Democrat looking to unseat Harnett County Republican Renee Ellmers said he wanted to see firsthand how FTCC is working to ease the transition with its new center.

Thewes said the transition gaps typically affect older veterans who may not have gone through more current military transition programs.

"They don't get the up-to-the-minute information and know everything," he said.

Other veterans can fall into the gap due to information overload during a major life transition, he said.

Thewes said many veterans face the issue that their training does not carry over into the civilian workforce. This is notable for veterans in the medical field.

"They're medics or combat medics in the military, and they do triage and blood pressures and blood draws ... but when they get out if they want to be a phlebotomist or X-ray tech, they have to go back to school to get that civilian license."

Aiken said that's something he saw when his brother, a former Marine, returned to civilian life.

"He struggled in some ways to make sure that what he was trained to do in the Marines translated into credit in college," Aiken said.

FTCC has implemented a database at its military website, faytechmil.com, that allows veterans and members of the military to search by their rank and see how their military training can fulfill requirements for an associate's degree.

Aiken said the program is a model for other community colleges across the country, particularly in military-heavy communities in the state.

"Fayetteville Tech is doing a lot of the work for the soldiers making that transition easier," he said.

Aiken was scheduled to remain in Fayetteville Thursday evening for a fundraiser at SkyView on Hay.

Ellmers announced Thursday that she will be at Fayetteville Tech next week, where she will host a roundtable discussion on mental health crises.

If you go to the link, there's video of Clay speaking.

From Facebook -- Chef Judy posted a selfie, as she catered the event last night:

10570378_10203061070511297_829222132292974164_n_zpsc12bbb24.jpg

Another media article about his visit to Fayetteville Technical Community College, with a video:

http://abc11.com/politics/aiken-tours-veterans-center-talks-military-transition/275629/

Full text in the news section later this morning.

Also from Facebook:

Vicki L Locklear shared a link.

FBFS, An evening with Clay Aiken Fayetteville, NC. www.clayaiken.com for information and contributions. He has a wonderful

Platform for children, senior citizens and veterans.

Vicki_Locklear_zps060f8b00.jpg

Vets_zps4264722a.jpg

https://www.facebook.com/armisteadmaupin?fref=nf

Armistead Maupin shared a link.

Thursday, August 21 at 8:35pm (10 hours ago) · Edited

This idiot, you will not be surprised to hear, was endorsed by Sarah Palin on the 90th anniversary of women's suffrage in the US. Ellmers' Democratic opponent in the upcoming North Carolina election is Clay Aiken -- yes that Clay Aiken -- and he's coming to California next week to raise campaign funds. He's already been accused of having "San Francisco values" so he might as well get some San Francisco bucks. To that end Chris and I andDavid Perry and Alfredo Casuso are throwing a fundraising cocktail party for Clay at Catch in the Castro this Tuesday the 26th. You can sign up for that right here: https://clayaiken.ngpvanhost.com/form/-3558827309440956672Clay is a genuinely nice guy with a great heart and some good ideas. As for those Kathy Griffin jokes Clay has been out for years, and Kathy has already thrown him a fundraiser in LA. I'd love to see him in Congress.

With a link to one of the articles about Renee's women talk...

Fear, I hope everything is OK for you....

image_zpsd1a93c48.jpg

Keitra Robinson shared Keitra Robinson's photo.

Yes the word is out!

Your favorite teacher and mine is running for Cumberland County NC School Board at large!! This is her yesterday getting the word out with NC Senatorial Candidate Clay Aiken. ANYBODY in Cumberland County can Vote for Judy Musgrave. To get involved, obtain a sign for your yard, and help ensure a dedicated and sincere advocate for your children and teachers is elected please feel free to message me and her committee will be sure to get you the information you need. Let’s stand up and get involved in this grassroots campaign for your favorite educator and mine, Judy Musgrave, At Large Candidate for Cumberland County School Board. Share this post and "like" here!!

#proudofMom

#Studentsneedhervoice

#Teachersneedhervoice

#Letsdothis! — with Dia Mac at SkyView on Hay.

Hee!

So Clay will be in Napa this week. Unless the winery itself sustained damage I'm sure it will go on. Sometimes when these quakes happens it appears the entire ctiy went down when you watch the news. Napa has definitely suffered damage but it's localized. A lot of it is property damage in the downtown area. City officials are really trying to make it clear out here that Napa is still open for business. One of the buyers is on vacation this week so definitely can not leave work early to get to Napa..it's about an hour away from me with normal traffic. Probably need 2 hours for weekday traffic.

I slept through the earthquake although my mom felt it. She woke me up to ask if I felt it LOL. Uh no, I was sleeping. But I call her "princess and the pea" anyway because she wakes up at the drop of a hat.

• Like 1

Clay email

I wanted to be sure you saw something our campaign released on Friday. There are so many issues that are important to our district, but one that I've highlighted in this campaign and will continue to bring awareness to as a Congressman is how we serve our military and veterans.

Over the past few months, I've carefully listened to the needs and concerns of the veterans and military families here in our community. With thousands of veterans making their homes around the Fort Bragg area following their service, it's essential that the representative serving this district be an advocate for their needs in Washington. Unfortunately, their voices are too often going unheard by our current representative and in the halls of Congress.

In my recent Huffington Post article, "5 Easy Things That Members of Congress Could Be Doing for Our Military and Veterans, But Aren't," I lay out a few easy ways Congress could better serve our military and veterans. The topics range from combating veteran homelessness to properly funding the schools attended by the children of our service men and women.

Very little gets done in Washington these days, even when congressional action and attention is desperately needed. It's time for Congress to stop being reactive and start being proactive -- especially when it comes to addressing the needs of our military and veteran community. They fought to serve us. We must serve them better.

I hope you'll read and share my latest Huffington Post piece. We've got to do more for our nation's heroes. Bringing attention to their needs is a good start.

Yours,

Clay

Paid for by Clay Aiken for North Carolina

Clay for North Carolina

PO Box 3809

Cary NC 27519-3809 United States

If you believe you received this message in error or wish to no longer receive email from us, please unsubscribe.

Gold circle winner email:

Good morning, CA4NC Gold Members!

It is time to reveal last week's raffle winner. Everyone, please join me in congratulating SHARON OBRECHT of Jeromesville, OH. Sharon, you are the recipient of personalized copies of a CA4NC campaign palm card and 9" x 9" placard.

CA4NC Gold Circle Weekly Raffle #9

This week’s raffle prize is:

• A personalized copy of the DVD live version of Clay's 2010 "Tried and True" album

The next raffle winner will be announced on Monday, September 1st.

Thank you and good luck!

Eric Cannon

Clay Aiken For North Carolina

usnewsuniversitydirectory.com

Clay Aiken Supports Efforts to Ease the Military-to-Civilian Transition

Clay Aiken Supports Efforts to Ease the Military-to-Civilian Transition

By Rebecca Strong

Posted August 25, 2014 11:00 AM

By now, most people are well aware that Clay Aiken has a voice. The former "American Idol" contestant isn't just using it to croon, though - he's also spreading the word about the challenges veterans face. Aiken, a Democrat, is facing Republican Renee Ellmers for North Carolina's Second Congressional District seat, and a core part of his campaign has focused on increasing support for those who have served in the military.

This subject is a personal one for Aiken.

The singer told WTVD-TV that his brother, a Marine, completed two tours in Iraq. When he returned, he struggled to secure a job, which Aiken attributes to the fact that his military training didn't translate easily to college curricula or the civilian workforce. Fortunately, Fayetteville Technical Community College (FTCC) in North Carolina has made a concerted effort to ease this transition for the soldiers coming out of Fort Bragg.

A Model for Making a Difference

Over the past two years, the school has enrolled 3,000 veterans or more - the highest rate of any state college or university, according to WTVD-TV. The institution also opened an All-American Veterans Center earlier this summer, which offers services such as counseling, coaching, assistance with job placement and certification of military experience for college credit. Veterans and servicemembers who are hoping to continue their education can search FTCC's new online database to determine how their training may meet the requirements for an associate's degree, the Fayetteville Observer reports.

While touring community colleges across North Carolina, the singer stopped at FTCC to see the school's new Veterans Center. Aiken applauded the center's efforts, commenting that it could serve as an example for what should be established across the country, particularly in areas with considerable military communities.

Still, Aiken says there is much work to be done to bring attention to available veteran resources and the accessibility of mental health referrals. He stressed that servicemembers should be better educated about the full scope of benefits that can be available to them.

"When you're done with active duty the DOD sort of hands you off to the VA and there are a lot of people who fall through cracks there," he said, as quoted by WTVD-TV. "I think the federal government has an obligation. I think all of us have an obligation to do a better job of supporting people."

Getting Vets Back in the Classroom

FTCC isn't the only institution that has made these matters a top priority. The famously military-friendly Middlesex Community College, for example, has a dedicated Veterans Resource Center that assists vets in achieving their aspirations, both educational and professional. Here, they can seek out information about particular programs, gain access to college resources and find out crucial information regarding their eligibility for services sponsored by the government, state and community, according to a school press release. Then, once service members have decided what kind of academic program they wish to pursue, they can select from a wide range of daytime, evening, weekend or online options.

Meanwhile, other schools are doing their best to ensure veterans' educational success. Starting this fall, Washtenaw Community College is offering a two-credit course to current students who are veterans or currently serving in the military, the Ann Arbor Journal reports. Students will learn how to choose and prepare themselves for a career, as well as identify what training will be necessary for success in that field.

"Through this course, veterans will have the opportunity to learn about resources at WCC and in the community, become more knowledgeable about employment trends, and build a professional network," said Cristina Buzas, a college student advisor at WCC, according to the Ann Arbor Journal. "We hope this class will benefit our veterans as they move forward in their career pursuits."

You know those personalized fundraising pages? Well, first of all I've set one up, and if anyone would love to donate, I'd appreciate it:

ldyjocelyn's fundraising page for Clay Aiken

playbiller at the CH has discovered that many of Clay's famous friends have them as well. Only two have publicized, Dee Snider (via Twitter) and Tyra Banks (via Facebook). Other celebrities who have pages include Ruben, Fantasia, Rosie O'Donnell, Lisa Lampanelli, Aubrey O'Day (heh), Kelly Clarkson, Penn Jillette, Arsenio Hall, and Kathy Griffin. Interesting list, that's for sure!