#66: "I'm Clay Aiken, and I Approved This Message!"

merrieeee

Bummer on the Napa cancellation. That could have brought in some big bucks...

The article? Well, first of all, I consider the source, which seems to be a conservative blogger. She's got some bias there, just as, of course, I have some bias toward accepting Clay, warts and all. Having said that, I think he probably did have some mess ups, simply because being a Democrat in a conservative arena like that would have to be nervewracking! I admire him like crazy for trying!

The pictures from the links posted above:

2014-08-26_2144_zps5367b753.png

BwAlYL0CYAAgMBZ_zps9c484d4b.jpg

BwAq2sSIEAESKdQ_zps13fe71dc.jpg

• Like 1

sfgate.com

Clay Aiken Campaigns in San Francisco

Clay Aiken campaigns in San Francisco

Posted on Tuesday, August 26 at 8:39pm | By Beth Spotswood

American Idol and Celebrity Apprentice runner-up Clay Aiken has grown accustomed to coming in second on reality television, but he hopes to come in first with voters of North Carolina’s 2nd Congressional District. The singer is running for Congress in his home state, and challenging Palin-endorsed incumbent Renee Ellmers for a seat in the United States House of Representatives.

Tuesday evening, San Francisco power-couples Armistead Maupin and Chris Turner, and David Perry and Alfredo Casudo, hosted a fundraising event for Aiken at Catch, a seafood restaurant in the Castro District. Having read a plug for this event in Leah Garchick’s column, I begged to attend. Thanks to Leah, and ultimately Maupin, I was allowed in. Thirty or so of us gathered at Catch, and Aiken dutifully made the rounds. Nearby, a friend asked for a photo with Clay. “I do selfies!” announced Aiken. “And we hashtag them #selfieswithclay.”

Come hell or high water, I was getting a selfie with Clay. But first, former political powerhouse Carole Migden interrupted, announced she had to leave 4 seconds after arriving, and had her photo taken with Clay. It was not a selfie.

Clay Aiken is the Democratic candidate for North Carolina’s 2nd Congressional District because he feels strongly his home turf is poorly represented by Ellmers, and because the other Democrat running died.

If Aiken is elected, he’ll be the first openly-gay Congressperson representing the Deep South.

His opponent Renee Ellmers is a Tea Party-backed Republican, endorsed by a collection of horrible people, and says dumb things like, ” male Republicans need to ‘bring it down to a woman’s level’ to get the women’s vote.”

Basically, North Carolina’s 2nd District is choosing between a pro-gun, anti-choice, anti-marraige equality, anti-Obamacare, anti-environment incumbent named Renee Ellders, or celebrity and gay dad Clay Aiken.

I asked Aiken if his campaign had a theme-song. “No, but if we did, it’d be ‘Walk Away Renee‘.”

Clay Aiken is, for lack of a better phrase, surprisingly normal. Aiken’s speech to the crowd at Catch lasted 15 minutes without missing a beat on education, interest-free student loans, veterans support, his pre-Idol past working with disabled children, and why he’s seeking a seat in Congress now. Disgusted with partisan politics, Clay Aiken made articulate, well-rounded points. I don’t mean to sound shocked, but this is the guy who got beat by Arsenio Hall on the Celebrity Apprentice.

Making a direct ask for San Francisco cash to help fun Aiken’s North Carolina campaign, Maupin put it bluntly. “He’s not running as a television personality. He’s not running as a gay man. He’s running as Clay Aiken with some good ideas.”

You can learn more about Aiken’s bid for Congress and donate to his campaign here on his website.

image_zpsff12c007.jpg

Semi-off topic: for those interested, Reed (Clay's former boyfriend) will be on Survivor this fall. The fact that they have also recruited the "twinnies," who appeared on The Amazing Race twice (and drove almost everyone nuts) are on as well makes me say "sorry, not interested, even for Reed."

http://insidetv.ew.com/2014/08/27/survivor-john-rocker-amazing-race-twins-spider-man/

My son is a Survivor fanatic. Every season, he creates a Survivor pool where you pay $10 and can pick 3 potential winners. Last year he had over 20 entries, and it was a lot of fun. If anyone wants in, let me know. I haven't decided yet who I'm going to pick, but I don't think Reed is going to be one of them (nor are the twins). I'm trying to be strategic about this and pick those with the most chance of winning (in my mind!)

I used to watch Survivor, but got tired of all the mind games (even though the show is really all about the mind games!). As much as watching Reed would be fun, I'm not going to watch. (Besides, the twinnies make me go "yuck!") I'll read the recaps at Entertainment Weekly though!

My husband just emailed me -- my shirt arrived!

Via CV, a new date for the Napa fundraiser:

Whetstone Wine Cellars

37 mins

We apologize for the late notice but after much consideration we have decided to postpone the Clay Aiken Fundraiser event at Whetstone Wine Cellars until Monday, September 29. Although Whetstone was fortunate to not sustain any structural damage to The Château many of our friends are recovering from much loss due to the #NapaQuake and felt it important to focus on our friends and community's needs at this time. We look forward to hosting you and supporting Clay and his campaign next month. More details will be provided soon.

• Like 1

ha ha. LadyJ knows I LOVE the twins. I may have to join that pool Luckiest. I've watched every season of Survivor but the first one. I've checked out of a few of them. People like the twins and John Rocker may be the first gone because the "regular" folks will want to vote them out. However, the twins will probably do great at challenges and one of them may survive awhile. I think they will be ok for the social game too.. they did have "partners" on TAR. Unfortunately they are including the exile island twist again which I hate. I don't know much about Reed - too bad he won't be able to do what I'm curious about most, dance. This is only the second time for this style of partners. I actually found it interesting. If I recall correctly, they don't start out on the same team so you're sorta playing a game within a game.I wish the show would get a little more diversity though. It's starting to bug.

sorry about the event being cancelled but yes it's understandable. The damage done is much worse than originally thought. They can't be out there schmoozing.

• Like 1

couchie, you are the ONLY person I know who likes the Twinnies. I think they could be a different type of player for Survivor, but on Amazing Race, their supposed "teamwork" was really annoying. (Also didn't work very well for them on the second go around, as they were the first team eliminated...thank goodness!)

Also couchie, did you see my post that the Napa event was rescheduled?

luckiest, I'll be contacting you later today about your package!

Two more pics from Facebook. The first is the photographer of Clay and Armistead, this time with the two of them:

10519709_10152710165279853_1880835786269200758_o_zpsde45dfff.jpg

10649890_10153124144038012_5176860429795841147_n_zpsa97a4385.jpg

• Like 1

geekette from the CH attended a fundraiser this evening. All below is posted with her permission. Here is her selfie:

10563015_10203018376483970_8787733258435610687_n_zps4142f779.jpg

And here is her brief recap:

Well, we did go to the gathering, and survived. Pro tip: If you're an introvert, skip the first hour... ProcFreq was there with her husband, and we chatted with a few of the 50 or so people and stood around munching cookies, but it didn't get interesting until they started with the speeches.

Our former congressman (before we were redistricted), David Price, got up, spoke a bit, and introduced Clay. As Clay said, Price actually came to Clay's 8th grade social studies class on Clay's request (for extra credit, which Clay joked he needed). Clay talked about the start of the National Inclusion Project - $50k in checks on his mother's coffee table, and his realization that the microphone he'd been given was much louder than he'd considered, his shock on election day that he'd been redistricted out of David Price's district, and his desire to serve the people. Very well done.

Then I got a selfie and booked it outta there. Whew!

From the News & Observer, a new fundraiser in Cary:

Aiken fundraiser in Cary

Posted by Lynn Bonner on August 28, 2014

Clay Aiken is having a fundraiser in Cary hosted by Mary Laurie Cece and Kristin Replogle.

Cece is the lawyer in the state Treasurer’s office.

Replogle is a member of the President’s Advisory Committee on the Arts for the Kennedy Center. Her husband, John Replogle, used to run Burt’s Bees and is CEO of Seventh Generation, a brand of “green” cleaning products.

The Sept. 9 fundraiser is a barbecue, and $50 will get you in.

Aiken, a recording artist and former reality-show contestant, is in his first political campaign.

He’s a Democrat running against Republican incumbent U.S. Rep. Renee Ellmers in the Republican-leaning 2nd Congressional District.

Email from Nick.

Your support this month has been huge. With fewer than 90 days left until the election, we cannot afford to slow down even for a minute.

You have already been very generous in your support of the campaign. Thank you!

But I want to remind you that your support will have been for nothing if we end up falling short of our goal.

August 31st might be our most important deadline yet. You might not realize it, but people across the country are watching us closely. They want to see hard numbers that prove beyond a doubt that Clay has the support he needs to win. Give again before the end of the day on August 31st to show that Clay can win.

You have already invested so much in this campaign. In fact, you just gave $?. Don't let that money go to waste! Contribute another $10, $20 or $50 before August 31st to strengthen your investment.

Nick Leisey

Finance Director

Paid for by Clay Aiken for North Carolina

Clay for North Carolina

PO Box 3809

Cary NC 27519-3809 United States

If you believe you received this message in error or wish to no longer receive email from us, please unsubscribe.

I am at a Blues festival almost all day today (Robert Cray was awesome last night), so I cannot post much. However, lots of pictures at CV because Clay is at a Labor Day parade! Will post pics later...

Back! Here's the pictures!

Lee Lambert

10 mins ·

Clay Aiken chilling at Taylor Town Day

clay_zps2275dc49.jpg

Miss North Carolina Junior High School America

4 hrs ·

CLAY AIKEN selfie

clay_zps392bf91a.jpg

MooreSportsRadio.com

4 hrs

Pinecrest principal Dr. Thomas Ferrell (left) and Patriot Athletics Director Ernie Purnsley (right) talk with congressional candidate Clay Aiken at the Taylortown parade this morning.

clay_zps77a8ba07.jpg

Randolph S. Voller

2 hrs

With Clay Aiken.

clay_zps722f4f20.jpg

Elizabeth O'Brien

Follow · 3 hrs

So excited to get a selfie with Clay Aiken!!

clay_zpsc9254222.jpg

Rick Tufts

5 hrs

Clay Aiken getting ready for the Labor Day Parade in Taylortown

clay_zps23183d8b.jpg

Bishop Ricky Smith

1 hr

Clay Aiken and Bishop Ricky Smith at Taylortowns Day

clay_zps1457e70a.jpg

The picture with the light blue shirt is from this, via Facebook:

It was wonderful to be guests last night of Rev. Anthony Davis and the presiding Elder Dr. L.A. Miller at Mitchell Chapel A.M.E Zion Church in Pittsboro for the 89th Session of the Durham District Conference for Central North Carolina.

Two more from the parade today:

image_zps37dd05ad.jpg

image1_zps0937fc74.jpg

And then, we know what Clay's done tonight:

Areon Mobasher ‏@areonmobasher 47m

Clay Aiken is on Theatre Raleigh's board of directors I knew there was a reason I feel so at home here

Areon Mobasher ‏@areonmobasher 18m

UPDATE: CLAY AIKEN IS IN THE AUDIENCE I AM SINGING SHOW TUNES FOR CLAY AIKEN THIS IS THE PARAMOUNT OF MY CAREER AND EXISTENCE

Raleigh Theatre

The Music of Hot Summer Nights: Come enjoy an extraordinary evening of songs celebrating ten years of Hot Summer Nights! For ALL ages

A 10th Anniversary Event

August 29th & 30th

Join us for an exclusive gala event on Saturday, August 30th. We will celebrate with food and drinks, a silent auction, and a one of a kind star-studded theatrical experience!

A limited number of gala tickets are on sale and can be purchased for just $50 if obtained in conjunction with a season ticket package.

Non-gala tickets are included as one of the six shows in the regular season ticket package. [Non-gala tickets are for the CONCERT ONLY, and are available for either the Friday or Saturday evening performances.]

http://www.theatreraleigh.com/the-music-of...-summer-nights/