#66: "I'm Clay Aiken, and I Approved This Message!"

merrieeee

witn.com

Clay Aiken Makes Appearance At ECU's College Democrats Gala

Clay Aiken Makes Appearance At ECU's College Democrats Gala

Posted: Fri 10:02 PM, Mar 28, 2014

aiken6.JPG

An American Idol runner-up turned politician is focusing on the youth vote to keep a high level of energy around his campaign.

Congress hopeful Clay Aiken was in Greenville on Friday.

Aiken told WITN, "I need to make sure people see me in a different light. It's not been that difficult, having a name that people recognize has allowed me to get in front of folks. They're curious, they want to talk to me, they want to hear what I have to say."

Aiken is running for the state's 2nd Congressional District currently held by Republican Renee Ellmers. He's running against fellow democrat Keith Crisco.

On Friday night, Aiken was at East Carolina's Heart Institute speaking to ECU students at the College Democrats Gala.

Aiken said, "These are the young people who are going to be making the decisions about the direction this state goes in. The direction this country goes in."

His journey is unique and one that ECU's College Democrats President Ebony West admires.

"Turning from American Idol and also pursuing a career in politics is really good," said West. "I feel like it'll really inspire a lot of people, especially me to want to pursue politics in the future."

Aiken said he chose to run for office when he recognized an opportunity to get people to listen to important issues like education.

The convention continues Saturday. North Carolina Attorney General Roy Cooper will speak at a luncheon at the Hilton in Greenville.

Aiken's opponent, Keith Crisco, will speak at the Greenville Museum of Art Saturday night.

Ian O'Keefe ‏@ipokeefe 44m

Y'all, I kinda love @ClayForNC. pic.twitter.com/WbF4Jomz7A

Bj6CjpbIAAAsItr_zpse3d042b4.jpg

Two cuties there!

Aubrey Monroe ‏@Itsaubreymonroe 5m

My mommy just met #clayaiken ☺️ #americanidol

Bj50G_mIMAEBt0B_zpsde095a4e.jpg

Hope Mundine ‏@imickey00 23m

#clayfornc @clayfornc NC NALC Seminar http://instagram.com/p/mIWeT4QIni/

0dd6daeeb75111e3abd41217141a8bf7_8_zps227eb5b6.jpg

NALC = North Carolina Association of Letter Carriers

From Facebook:

So dad is at a seminar for the post office and he txts me and says Clay Aiken is speaking at one of them. Then sends this picture. Random and not so random all at the same time.

10151352_10152724873799992_1050703479_n_zps6aad9c0d.jpg

And one more. This one says "Vote for Clay" next to it!

10168186_609665102458846_1147823428_n_zpsfed9a750.jpg

Well I'm into tournament mode so I might not be catching too many tweets for the next week. I forget every year what it is like to work 21 days in a row!! I came I to work at 8 this morning but after today it's 5:30am!

Take it easy merrieeee. I appreciate your bringing the tweets to us.

I'm excited that its almost April 15 and our school kids are on Spring break this week. Im trying to see if I can make it to Clay's fundraiser in Charlotte on a tax day. Keeping my fingers crossed that it'll work out.

merrieeeee -- take care and I hope you are part of a successful tournament! I will try my best to cover for you!

Three interviews this week to replace a librarian at my workplace. Hopefully we find someone quickly. In the meantime, though -- I'm STILL fighting this cold. It's been a month now, and I'm really tired of this. Been to the doctor once, and I have my annual checkup tomorrow. It will be interesting to see what he says.

ldyj said to come in and say hi so here I am. I read back a few pages and was beginning to worry that it was only ldyj and merrieee here. Glad to see some of my other friends still here. Wanted to let you know that I had taken some video on my phone at the DC event (and by the way, unfortunately that fat ass in the one pic is mine). Thanks to Nickikiwi, who righted them for me, it is in the vault at CV. Half of his speech is actually video of my lap because I was afraid to video but then I went for it. He really did look really good and pictures, as good as they are, do not do him justice. There is just such an aura about him.

I really miss the singer/entertainer Clay, and hope that one day soon he will come back to us. But I can't complain because the person I've come to love, and who enchanted me to begin with, was more than just a singer. I saw right from the beginning that he was a whole lot more, so I'm just going to enjoy whatever facet of himself that he shows me and wait to see what he comes up with next. He is an endlessly fascinating man.

• Like 1

Thanks for the video justclay12. I'm one of the political Clay lovers, so it fed my soul. We have thread for the Gala at misc events. Let us know if you'll be there. I haven't made it to any speeches yet but hope to in the near future.

Looks like some great weather headed our way. I hope you all have a terrific day.

*hugs justclay12*

I'm glad to see you here. It has been a bit lonely around here lately, but for me, this place is a labor of love -- both for Clay (as you said, he is an endlessly fascinating man, that's why I am a fan) and for the people here. Thank you so much for the video (and thank nicki for me too!). I loved watching him work the crowd. He's such a natural at this, which is a talent I think very few of us knew about many years ago (when he was surrounded by soooooooooo many people). Bonus: he looks good doing it too! I love a man in a suit. (I loved at the beginning when he was putting his hand on his hip...so nice.)

Very little on Clay's schedule so far this week -- I bet that changes as we start to get tweets from sightings!

Is it lunch time yet?

Friends,

This is a big day for Clay Aiken’s campaign. And you can help Clay make it a big success!

Today is March 31, the end of the first quarter. In a couple of weeks, Clay will report how much money he has raised. We want to show the media and the political world that he can raise significant resources from small online contributions – from people like you.

We actually have blown past our online donation goal. But every dollar and every donation will send a message.

Please chip in $10 today. Help Clay make a big statement about OUR campaign.

Yours,

Gary Pearce

Communications Consultant

Clay for North Carolina

PS - Please chip in $10 today to help show the media how many of you are standing with Clay: https://act.myngp.com/Forms/5234590141888069632

Paid for by Clay Aiken for North Carolina

Clay for North Carolina

PO Box 3809

Cary NC 27519-3809 United States

If you believe you received this message in error or wish to no longer receive email from us, please unsubscribe.