# 67: Everywhere He Goes, The People Love Him!

ldyjocelyn

Larry Flick (radio guy, interview earlier this week) tweeted this:

@clayaiken Can't wait to dig into another great conversation. Congrats on the show... and all that great things you're making happen. x

Clay replied:

@LarryFlick lemme know when!

The picture fro the tweet above:

CCRSn_tWIAAf-nt_zpsk72l7zu4.jpg

Damn merrieeee, you are fast!

Lightbox Media (the Chinns' company) posted a link to this article on their FB page today:

]The Runner-Up is Another First Place Doc for Esquire

by MIKE MCCOMB • APRIL 8, 2015

NUP_166848_0004-300x180.jpg

The Runner-Up (Photo: Lightbox Entertainment / Esquire)

Remember last year when Clay Aiken, formerly of American Idol and the Celebrity Apprentice, ran for a congressional seat in North Carolina? It turns out his campaign granted access to award-winning documentary producers Simon and Jonathan Chinn (Man on Wire, American High, and 30 Days), resulting in Esquire’s new docu-series The Runner-Up, which debuted Tuesday night.

The four-hour series, which will air in one-hour installments, tracks Aiken’s progress through a hotly contested primary up through election night in November 2014. Tuesday’s episode focused on the democratic primary, which took place May 6. The series doesn’t directly examine political machinery or the policy points of the candidates in play. Instead, this series seems to be examining the weird quirks of electoral politics, popularity, marketing, name recognition–the nuts and bolts of a campaign that have no individual impact on outcomes but must work in concert to achieve success.

For example, one of the first segments we see has Clay and his campaign manager canvassing a neighborhood to drum up support. From Clay describes in the scene, he is terrified of the prospect of having doors slam in his face. Meanwhile, the producers do some person-on-the-street interviews, showing that although locals recognize the name, many have not considered him as a political entity. This question is probably the most common conundrum for outside viewers of the election last year, but The Runner-Uphighlights the issues that motivated Clay to pursue the office. This was not a ploy to keep his name in the papers or extend his 15 minutes post-Apprentice. Rather, he was deeply troubled by education “reforms” taking place in North Carolina and nationally.

The episode concluded with the bizarre turn of events capping the primary election. Aiken won the democratic primary over opponent (and experienced politician) Keith Crisco, but by a margin close enough to trigger a recount. Aiken was declared the winner the same day Crisco died in a slip and fall accident. Although the campaign continues, the episode closes with Clay considering the bizarre interactions that happen because of politics.

Although we know the outcome of the final election1, the Runner-Up is already shaping up to be another fascinating documentary series produced for Esquire.

1. spoiler: he isn’t Congressman Clay Aiken

Tweet!

Just hours after being rinsed clean by rain! #pollen

CCUkheoWAAAti5Q_zpsco5qq092.jpg

From Instagram:

Selfie_zpsfrlkdpfa.jpg

From Facebook:

Esquire Network: Catch up on documentary series The Runner-Up with episode 1 on demand: esq.tv/1OeLOLH

Follow Clay Aiken's run for Congress in North Carolina TUESDAYS 10|9c on Esquire Network.

image_zpseycp5zf8.jpg

Clay Tweet!

.@HillaryClinton, I love you. But why are you the stiffest and most scripted looking person in this video? #loosenup youtu.be/0uY7gLZDmn4
Let me be clear! I LOVE @HillaryClinton. I am so excited she is running. But the GOP has some CRAZY ... tmi.me/1f2QjO

The full tweet:

Let me be clear! I LOVE @HillaryClinton. I am so excited she is running. But the GOP has some CRAZY candidates who come across as folksy (though insane) and I want her to beat them on EVERY front. Americans vote for who they feel can relate to (B. Clinton, GW Bush, Obama) there's nothing wrong with challenging those we love.

From Twitter:

MICHAEL COOK ‏@michael_a_cook 19m19 minutes ago

Waited on @clayaiken at @CrackerBarrel..He didn't say it, but I am the best server he has ever had.

april_12_cracker_barrell_zpszy5o3ppx.jpg

Another, this one from Instagram:

clay_zpscuksykxr.jpg

The Cracker Barrel he was at is in Virginia, so Clay must be appearing in person on C-SPAN (THIS MORNING!!!!!!)

He must be waiting for his appearance, and killing time on Twitter. Wonder what brought this one up:

I am SO my own man! My mom shops at @kroger. I’m a @HarrisTeeter guy! 1f60b.3b5f165624.png