# 68: The Absurdly Charming Clay Aiken

ldyjocelyn

BWAHAHA!  I love his sense of humor!  The original tweet:

BTW, the socks pick from Perma?  NOT Clay!  Democratic strategist James Carville!

This is from SueReu -- UCLA won the debate!

13508940_10154279599747363_5372044225975905415_n.jpg

From CV:

She lives in NYC 

FB
Lauryn M
45 mins · 
Pretty sure Clay Aiken is on my flight

Just because...

Someone handed clay a 2 month old baby so they could take a picture of her with him..   It was all sorts of sweet.  I got a quasi photo, but it doesn't show how sweet it was

artquest, on 27 Jun 2016 - 12:39 AM, said:

treenuts, on 26 Jun 2016 - 10:29 PM, said:

takingupspace, on 26 Jun 2016 - 6:46 PM, said:

Just saw Darrell Hammond coming out of the bathroom!

Colonel Sanders?! omg.gif

OMG, is that who he is? Gag.  I've met the Colonel. Darrell is not Harlan Sanders!  

We went to the comedy show tonight, which was very, very good, except for Mr. Hammond who was only OK. Much better were Jay Pharaoh, Al Madrigal and Greg Proops.  They had us rolling in the aisles.  And a great way to end a great weekend. It has been a long time since I had that much fun with my clothes on.

ClaySTO, hugs and wishes for a clean colonoscopy.  

UCLA totally deserved to win the debate.  The Yale crew seemed to think that shouting at us with a slightly superior sneer was the way to go.  The UCLA team was quieter, clearer, had better arguments, and didn't make me want to throttle them.

Clay's profile looks chiseled.  I don't know if he's just right or lost too much weight or what, but you could cut paper on those cheekbones. 

What else: Walked out of the Palin/Carville thing as we got bored.  Turns out we totally missed the fireworks. Tried to watch Trump the Musical, but the mikes were so loud and the acoustics in that great cavern (think a Costco) made it impossible to listen to. High point of the day was listening to former president of Mexico Vincente Fox, who was thoughtful and kind and snarky (he's not a Trump fan...) and wise. His dad was born in Cincinnati, I think he said.  Maybe we can find an Ohio birth certificate for Mr. Fox so he can run for our president now?  After Obama, who would notice. He's got my vote.

From Sue, pictures.

post-5965-0-74736000-1467003347.jpg

post-5965-0-93364300-1467003570.jpg

post-5965-0-52088700-1467003579.jpg

From Facebook:
Jim Cutler
46 mins

Last night, Clay Aiken (and his very red glasses) was sitting in Dawn's seat when we got on the plane. He politely moved to his correct seat across the isle. More in the next episode of the video vlog, in 4 days. 

From PermaSwooned at CV:

PermaSwooned, on 27 Jun 2016 - 3:24 PM, said:

artquest, on 27 Jun 2016 - 2:53 PM, said:

SueReu, on 27 Jun 2016 - 1:38 PM, said:

Home!  Wonderful weekend with fabulous friends.  I would do it again in a heart beat!

It WAS great!  And a good part of that was hanging out with SueRue and Permaswooned and Clayskater as well as getting a chance to have dinner with TakingUpSpace, who certainly isn't, as well as checking in with other fans. There was so much to think about and digest, so having a chance to chew over it along with dinner really, really helped.

Thanks to SueRue, who demystified the process, I'm going to volunteer to go door to door to help get folks to the polls in November. 

Dancermom, I uploaded a snippet of the first part of the LGBTQ video that includes Clay getting pissed off twice.  I don't think it's been posted, or even if you can read it, but I thought I'd let you know it's in my file in the Vault.

Yes, it was more than fabulous, and I so enjoyed sharing the experience with friends.  Really fascinating, interesting, mind-boggling stuff.  Loved, loved, loved.

artquest used my Grammycam that I hadn't even seen in years to shoot video on Saturday, and then had nothing but problems with it in trying to upload the video.  I brought the camera and card home and have been working on it all morning.  There's a frame rate disparity, evidently, so I ran it through Power Director.  I upped the sound and tried to even out the tone, because for some reason it got really pale about 2 minutes in.  The clip is huge...it's 38 minutes long where the battery ran out.  Meanwhile, I was shooting with my camera, but mostly stills and video when Clay was speaking, then I picked up the total video when Zelda's camera ran out.  I'll get to that later.

Meanwhile, the video has made it to Google Drive and is finishing it's final processing there. dancermom2,  I'll send you the link as soon as it finished processing.  That video is really long, obviously, but I think it's helpful to watch the whole thing, because it shows the progression of his irritation with Hal Sparks.  For me, the issue with Hal is that he is a comedian that seemed to be taking himself a bit too seriously.  He spoke more than anyone else on the panel, and I personally was the least interested in what he had to say, because he seemed most interested in demonstrating that he knew more than anyone else.  As the sole straight person on the panel, ally or not, I was much more interested in what the other members of the panel had to say, not just because they were part of the LGBTQ community, but because they were EXCELLENT.  Over the course of the video, you can see Clay's irritation growing.  He has quite the expressive face, especially if you "know him". Also, watch the transgender woman next to him snap her fingers in agreement when he goes off on Hal about Trumps limp wrists.  Oh, snap!!!!

I also want to point out when you view any video, that Clay was having a TERRIBLE time with his contact lenses on Saturday.  It was REALLY bad at the Campaign Strategies panel, but he was obviously still having problems by the afternoon's panel, so please keep that in mind.

I have to leave for the doctor shortly, but hopefully, the video will be ready by then.