# 71: We're Happy with Clay, and What Else Matters!

ldyjocelyn

Reports from tonight’s show have him out of the platform shoes...they were a hazard and breaking!  Now in all white shoes. He was in fabulous voice and the audience LOVED him. Biggest audience reaction!

There's been a lot of twitter activity, and a lot of Instagram stories, over the past few days.  Hopefully I get them all!  (In the case of the Instagram stories, it may just be screenshots...)

Recaps from luckiest1 at CV, used by permission:

Sunday afternoon show:

Clayitagain and I attended the 2 pm show and sat on balcony row E.  AMAZING!!!  When Clay came down the stairs in that suit, OMG we just about peed ourselves. His voice filled every inch of that place. He was so campy and funny and we wish wed brought binoculars. When he squealed and backed up to the shirtless guys, we were dying. I really hope we get clack that shows all the facial expressions!  We are going back tonight to sit in orchestra row J ("National Inclusion Project" seats) and then we have our M&G.  We waited an hour this afternoon at stage door but he did not appear.

Sunday evening show:

Well that was the best way to cap off a fabulous day!!!!  Clay was so sweet in the M&G. He said hes out of shape and is exhausted every time he sings his number. He says he does nothing until after intermission (tonight he watched the Tonys) and everyone else works so much harder than him.

😂. He asked us about our trip from the Toronto area, how long it took, realized we had to drive around the lake etc. I told him we missed the gala this year because my daughter got married. He said we should have come anyways, then signed a program for her and her wife with a congratulatory message on it (awwwwww, what a guy).  He also took a picture of my leg (tatoo) 😜  
The show tonight was fantastic. Our "National Inclusion Project" seats were excellent, row J centre orchestra. We could see all the facial expressions and no one sat in front of us so no heads!  Clays expressions were so over the top and hilarious.  He sings the first part of his song, then gives Frenchie her diploma, and she throws into the orchestra pit. He gets a look of disgust on his face and says baby you blew it! before he reprises the song.  It just kills me, what a character he is. He got so many hoots and hollers and tons of applause, throughout the song and st the end of it.

Pittsburgh CityPaper review of Grease.  American Idol alum Clay Aiken dazzles in Pittsburgh CLO's Grease

The Clay bit:

As “Teen Angel” in the Pittsburgh CLO’s production of Grease, Clay Aiken is only on stage for about five minutes. Those five minutes, however, are fab-u-lous.

If there were any doubt that the American Idol alumnus is still popular, one only needed to listen to the thunderous applause and squeals erupting throughout the Benedum Center on opening night as Aiken sang “Beauty School Dropout” in silver platform shoes, a sparkling pink suit, and Beethoven-like wig.

Remember those years between Aiken becoming runner-up on American Idol and appearing on the cover of People magazine declaring “Yes, I’m gay” when people still wondered about his sexuality? Me either. 2019 Clay Aiken is G-A-Y. And he embraces it, like an over-sized Martin Short in drag; his theatrics on point, and his voice booming. This Clay Aiken would have won American Idol.

Another weekend recap, from From Claygary, reprinted with permission:

Saturday evening:

Oh what an afternoon! The show was absolutely great, and my non-fan (but not NON fan IYKWIMAITTYD) friend was highly entertained. Those shoes!! She kept saying... She was vastly impressed with the voice...and his sense of balance 

We were up in the Director's Circle (1st balcony) and of course I had the 8 ft teenager sitting in front of me, so I missed a lot..so happy we're going again
The whole ensemble has great voicees, and I was amazed by how much music I didn't know was in Grease! 
Those Magic Changes was not up to Clays level of course and was mildly disappointing, as I just love it. ;(
Clay was stu-pendous!! In amazing form...all the people around me were abuzz.. I could hear all the Clay Aik

en...Clay Aiken..Clay Aiken whispers as people obviously said 'Who was THAT"??! Probably season ticket holders... ;)

FUN!! GO!! 

Sunday afternoon:

Home!! We got home last night around 2 AM after seeing Sunday's matinee from the main floor (our other tickets were up in the 1st balcony aka "Director's Circle"  ). Although our seats were well off to the side of RC, it was a completely different perspective on the show, and both my NJU friend and I thought this was our best show.

Clay was really on and seemed to be refreshed after Saturday's shows. It didn't show in his performance Saturday, but he was beat...could this have ANYthing to do with the first day of 2 shows, and a cast party the night before? Hmmmmm.....  Jazz hands were back in full force, and the dance shoes were a great relief for us, if not for Clay as well! He was in amazing voice!

I was sitting beside an older couple who live just north of Cranberry, and purchase the 3-pack of tickets regularly for the summer shows, as they can't count on getting into the city in the winter (I can relate!!) They had chosen this one specifically because of Clay Atkin  and were so excited to see him again. As others have said, Clay's applause far exceeds anyone else's in the show, and I really think many people were there just for him.

We saw him at stage door Saturday night, and I thought the reaction of the crowd at the door was really interesting~we had seen several of the other performers come out, and most present clapped for those ones they recognized and said "Great show", "good job" etc, and asked to have programs signed by many of the cast, which they seemed to enjoy....but when Clay passed by the door (possibly to go grab a pen?) there was an audible gasp from those at the door (90% NJU) and there was just something in the atmosphere that changed like an electric charge had gone through....there was NO security at the door to speak of, and he was just there for a very short time, but there was much       after he went back in!

We saw Harlem several times as well, BTW...Damon Gillespie was at the door with his Mom and Dad, and he was telling them that everyone in the cast     Harlem, and how well trained and good he was. I think it was the girl who played Sandy who was walking him in his cute bow tie and matching leash.

Two pictures there (click on the little arrow on the first picture to see the second).  In the second, it looks like he did a radio interview as well.  Off to try and find it.