# 71: We're Happy with Clay, and What Else Matters!

ldyjocelyn

Weekend recaps from ncwannabe at CV, posted with permission.

Meryle and I were holding each other's hand as we knew his number was coming up. He came out to a very welcoming round-of-applause as he arrived with a flourish of his arms on a top-tier of the stage. The shoes are incredible! We don't know how he walked in them! Then to our absolute horror, he had to walk down the steps in the things to the Beat of the Music. But he did it flawlessly! All the while, flourishing with his arms and being over-the-top flamboyant and singing his heart out. The audience was eating it up. It's Camp to the max. He rubbed shoulders with the shirtless guys a few times, and then at one point, actually has his back toward their chest and sort of leans back against them and moans. It was hilarious! His voice sounded wonderful, hit a glory note or two. And also had a lot of control in the softer parts. If you can call any of the campy schtick soft. LOL. He towers over the actress who plays Frenchie. The shirtless guys pick him up at the end of the number, and he hits a glory note while he's up there and the audience loved it they were hooting and hollering. Not only was the suit glittery, he had a ton of rings on his fingers that would catch the light and glitter all over the place. He's Glittering from head to toe! He does come out for for the finale, still in his role with the flamboyant arms and those shoes. It was classic, campy clay at his absolute best. He nailed it. And the audience loved it. It was a great show! 

We're (Mercedes and I) baaaaack! Our third and last show. And each one, the overall show has gotten better and better. The cast is extremely youthful and energetic, and they've really gelled now with this being the third show. Clay, however, has been excellent from the get-go. The platform shoes are a goner, since he told me they broke again. So now he has white jazz shoes - which make us feel much better when going down the stairs! People applaud him throughout the song - he really gets a great response. Tonight I realized what a great vocal range he shows throughout the song. Early on he's in that lower register a few times, but he still manages to go way up high and hit a few Glory notes in the process. His voice reverberates throughout the theater. At his Curtain Call, he gets the most Applause of anyone in the cast - even more than Danny and Sandy. After his number was over, I heard people behind me saying wow! What a voice! Then someone said something like, but he didn't even win. LOL. Mercedes' seatmate on the other side of her have that vacant Aiken glassy-eyed smile after his number was over. The show is really good and we had a great time! 

52 minutes ago, ldyjocelyn said:

Clayversity has been up and down for the past 24 hours.  There's a recap from yesterday's performance that I'm trying to get to, hopefully I can get to it soon!

Thanks!! Anxious to hear about the last show. Hate to see it end--was fun to see all of the recaps, pics and excitement. 

I especially loved learning that CLO had been trying to get him for some time. I have a feeling he is pretty choosy and has turned down other offers. Hope we see him again soon, but guessing he will want to be home in Raleigh and enjoy summer with Parker and the rest of his family, 

Clayversity is REALLY having problems.  I just saw on Facebook from dmom that the tech said they are having low memory problems, and will probably have to replace the RAM in their server.  We'll keep you all posted!

The important part of another review!

And don't think I've forgotten Clay Aiken, the big star around whom this production has been marketed. I will fully confess that I had misgivings about Aiken's casting, expecting one of far too many lifeless "ex-superstar comes out in white clothes, sings like they're at a concert and then leaves" put-ins that the role of Teen Angel has been subjected to. Gosh and shucks was I wrong. The Clay Aiken of 2019 is an improbable but winning fusion of Billy Porter's voice and Martin Short's everything else. Making an entrance dressed as Liberace, towering in sequined "Goodbye Yellow Brick Road" platform shoes, and mincing wincingly down the stairs towards Frenchie, Clay Aiken has blissfully thrown away any sense of pop-star pride and decorum, and embraced this opportunity to embody a sneering gay-camp nightmare. Towering over the diminutive Barnum thanks to the aforementioned shoes, gasping, scowling and doing double-takes over the glittered-up chorus boys, turning on a dime from patronizing to vicious, all the while singing like an angel... forget Grease, somebody book Clay Aiken a tour as Frank N. Furter in Rocky Horror! (I've done almost two decades of Rocky Horror productions, and there are Franks who sing and Franks who pose. Aiken does both.)

and another snippet!

Speaking of things being just right, Clay Aiken as Teen Angel gives a lovely rendition of "Beauty School Dropout." He receives layered applause as he struts across the stage in his pink suit for his cameo appearance. He makes the role his own and adds nuance to his comedic character's brief time on stage.

Those reviews are excellent!  Although I'm not quite sure about Clay as Frank N Furter....

As promised, the recap from hosaa used with permission.  The M&G picture is of her and siclayfan also with permission.

Clay was very sweet and his usual sarcastic self. I was annoyed that my visitor's badge used my full name instead of my familiar name, and he said he wondered why he didn't recognize it. Then he explained that's what's on my driver's license, which they scanned to make the badge. 

I asked how the Grease gig came about for him, and he said his manager knows the producer (or artistic director) here and they've been trying to get him to do something here for a few seasons. As for what's next, he said he'll take another 5-minute performance anytime!

During today's show, instead of trying the splits again, he just fell to his knees and started leaning back till his back touched the floor. He told us he didn't know what he was going to do until he did it, and if the guys didn't help him up he'd have to roll over on his stomach.

He also said he planned to drive home tonight. I totally forgot to wish him happy Father's Day. 

I forgot one more thing... Clay said he gets to keep his shoes! "Auction items!" 

post-4010-0-32452600-1560719204.jpg

And from siclayfan, with permission:

Thanks to  hosaa for posting out Meet and greet picture from yesterday, especially since I have no clue how to do it, and special thanks to her for letting me be part of her meet and greet. I had originally planned on going to 2 shows, after all Clay was on only six minutes right!! I ended up  seeing 4 shows and enjoyed each one more than the other.  The whole cast is talented and Clay was absolutely fabulous.

I managed to make a fool of myself asking silly questions at the Meet and Greet and of course Clay was his usual bratty self.  I meant to ask how Harlem was on long rides in the car, but somehow I asked him about Harlem driving and then about him riding in the car to which he responded no he runs after the car when I',m driving. I finally got it out right and he did say Harlem has always been a good traveler.  I also asked whom the cast liked better him or Harlem and of course he said the dog. There were several sightings of Harlem being walked after the show in front of the theater. 

Like Hosaa I also intended to wish him Happy Father's day, but somehow the mind shuts down every time I meet him.  . I can't get over how skinny he looks. I wasn't at the Gala but from what everyone has said and the pictures I've seen he did look quite a bit heavier such a short time ago.. 

It was a lovely venue and would love to see him there again.  Like Hosaa mentioned Clay said if anyone offers him another 5 minute role he'll be right there. He did also comment how much he liked the people that he worked with there.. He said there were no inflated egos.

Politicon is moving to Nashville this year, being held the last full weekend in October.  I'm tempted....it's only 6 hours or so away, and my husband would love to peruse the musical instruments shops again.  But, he still doesn't have a full job though -- several opportunities have arisen though, so if you can send any good thoughts/prayers our way, it would be appreciated.  Anyway, I'm hoping that Politicon has another successful year!

https://www.heraldextra.com/entertainment/music/ruben-studdard-carries-on-luther-vandross-legacy-at-orem-show/article_9d0488d3-abd0-569c-9eeb-c40c987bc901.html

HARRIS: You recently reunited with your “American Idol” competitor Clay Aiken for “Ruben and Clay’s Christmas Show,” which was your Broadway debut. What was it like for you to work together on that production?

STUDDARD: Clay’s my brother, and I say that often because the two most unlikely individuals became the closest of friends. And for me, it was really just like going to work every day with your family member. It was a lot of work, for sure. Doing eight shows a week is not something to shake your foot at. You have to really be committed to your craft. But I enjoyed every minute of it and just getting a chance to be away from Alabama and live in New York for three months was amazing, and hopefully that’s something that we can do every holiday season.

• Like 1

Clay was just on Instagram Live, doing “Somewhere Out There.”  Very lovely.

And he did “Can You Feel the Love Tonight” too.  Missed the notification on that one, but just saw it.  Also quite lovely!