# 71: We're Happy with Clay, and What Else Matters!

ldyjocelyn

Hi there!  

I survived the visit from my cousin and actually it wasn’t as bad as it could have been. I then had a pretty bad asthma attack followed by having oral surgery. So all in all it was a not the best summer!  My daughter has been back teaching for 2 weeks already. So her summer is completely gone!  To top it off my house looks like it won’t be finished building until thanksgiving!  I’m a little bored without having everything I need so yesterday I wrote all my Christmas cards. 

‘I wish there was more on the Clay front!

• Haha 1

Watched it last night. Very interesting partly because my father was a UAW local president for a GM plant for many years. If he were still alive he would give those people who voted against the union a piece of his mind. He was there when unions were first formed and remembered when companies would hire people to beat up those who belonged to a union. The way the glass company from China handled their employees sounded so familiar. They were smart in keeping the younger people who probably didn't know that much about what unions do to help their members. They needed to learn that there is strength in numbers.

I thought it was very thought provoking.  I could see both sides and neither were hundred percent right.  

My fil was in the mines in PA so was very union!  My husband worked for a company that had a union vote.  It became vicious.  The union wanted to cut his wage by half and take away two years of the apprenticeship he’d worked already so he was against it.  He ended up being beaten and lost a lot of the eyesight in his right eye.  He never went back and joined the Air Force the next day.  Which turned out for the best because I never would have met him!

Well, he was seemingly in Atlanta last weekend....

I do miss seeing his face though!

Anyone have plans for the long weekend?  I have tomorrow off, and then going to see Weird Al Yankovic (for the fifth time, I believe). This tour is with the local symphony orchestra in each city.  Should be a fun show!

My daughter is coming over. She lives in an apartment that is about 200 yards from mine and I see her less than when I lived 30 miles away! Beginning of the school year is so hard for her.  Teaching seniors come with a lot more stuff than just classroom work.  They’ve already asked her when prom is scheduled!

Since we can’t grill I’m having roast leg of lamb, mint sauce, Brussels sprouts and English roasted potatoes.  

Happy Birthday a day late merrieeee. Glad everyone in FL is safe. What a horrible mess in the Bahamas. I am concerned that some insurance companies will fail and not cover some of these storm expenses as well as the governments.Time for a lot of folks and politicians to get their heads out of the sand and do something for our earth. 

?????????

About Cassidy, the tweeter, from her website (http://www.cassidyk.com/)

Cassidy Kulhanek is an artist living and working in Chapel Hill, North Carolina. She earned her BFA from Auburn University in Studio Art with a Printmaking concentration in 2015, and is currently enrolled as an MFA student at the University of North Carolina. Considering language her primary material, Cassidy uses written and spoken words to engage with her past and explore ideas of trauma and familial relationships. She founded the Independent's Book Project in 2016, a publishing initiative that publishes small editions of works by authors in her local creative writing community.

About Virgil Abloh, from Wikipedia (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Virgil_Abloh):

Virgil Abloh (/ˈæbl/; born September 30, 1980) is an American fashion designer, entrepreneur, artist, and DJ who has been the artistic director of Louis Vuitton's men's wear collection since March 2018. Abloh is also the chief executive officer of the Milan-based label Off-White, a fashion house he founded in 2013.

Clay is part of Politicon this year -- being held in Nashville for the first time.  I debated about going to this, but I don't think I can take the time off now.  (Nashville is only a 6 hour drive for me)  Some really good guests too -- Al Franken and Randy Rainbow are my top two besides Clay!  Oh, and Jaboukie Young White (from the Daily Show).

https://politicon.com/