Fingers crossed for a date near me!

Good morning!  Just an FYI that I'm going to be on a business trip for the next few days.  I'll have internet at the hotel, but may not have time to check in.  

Hopefully some Clay news will break during that time!

Hey all!  I’m back!  I’ve actually been back a few days, but it took me a while to recover.  And unfortunately, Clay didn’t do anything while I was gone…

…but he did last night!  David Foster and Kat McPhee had a concert at the DPAC last night and Clay was in the audience.  He also sang a bit of Unchained Melody!

Post and photo: https://www.facebook.com/todayinthequay/posts/pfbid037Hk8fNSNQ9Psxaxe6Hh1x8ddCRAcB4QTeuBvqgHLH4VefCRijkmXhEvXyWpZVhFal

Short video of the ending of UM and he sounds fantastic! https://www.facebook.com/1438947205/videos/pcb.10233869716591437/2008571382876826

IMG_1737.jpeg

IMG_1738.jpeg

• Like 1

I finally was able to view the song and I loved it! I wonder if the kid next to him is Parker? He looks so much like Clay as a kid, but not at all what I thought He looked like. I also like how Foster plays with Clay “he’s my BIL and “sit the f**k down” 😂 

• Like 1

Debra Byrd, the vocal coach for many, many American Idols (including Clay), along with being a backup singer to Barry Manilow in the 1970's, has died.  Clay gives a great statement about her in this article.

https://deadline.com/2024/03/debra-byrd-dead-american-idol-the-voice-vocal-coach-was-72-obituary-1235848285/

“I don’t think it would be an exaggeration to say that no one was a better mentor, coach, teacher, or champion to us Idol contestants than Byrd was,” said Clay Aiken. “No one spent more time with us. I’ll never forget her drilling into us how we needed to look right into the camera and connect with the audience at home. She was a light in so many lives. I am so lucky that I got to call her a friend.”

• Like 1

Entertainment Weekly has the clues for all the contestants so far. 

https://ew.com/the-masked-singer-season-11-clues-8602031

Here's The Beets.  The guesses are crazy, but those clues scream Clay and Ruben.

Who is Beets?

Clues for Beets:

• “There’s no place like home, and wouldn't we know it. Home for us has been wherever we’re together, and for a moment, we had millions of eyes on us. Yeah, 40 million of them,” they say to start the first clue package
  • They say the world tried to pit them against each other but they’ve always had each other’s back: “Of course, we’re family”
  • Between “his big ole brain” and “his unbeatable heart” they work well together
  • “Guess all we need now is to find the nerve to turn up together on this stage. It will be like going back to our roots”
  • One of them is “feisty”
  • An old timey radio, a gift-wrapped copy of a book titled “Beeting the Odds,” a 2 of hearts card, and a box of red apples all appear in the first clue package

On stage:

• First performance: “Home” by Michael Bublé
  • Who are they inspired by in The Wizard of Oz? “I think because of our loyalty as friends, Dorothy and Toto.”
  • Wizard of Oz Night clue: Toto. Of it, they say, “Like Toto and Dorothy, we are the best of friends, and we’re pretty good costars, too.”

Judges' guesses for Beets: Will Arnett and Jason Bateman, K-Ci & JoJo, Steve Martin and Martin Short

Gold Derby recap of the episode last night.

The Clay/Ruben parts.

8:40 p.m. — The last performer in Group B is Beets. It’s a duo! They’re most inspired by Dorothy and Toto because of their loyalty as friends. In their clue package, Beets reveal, “There’s no place like home and wouldn’t we know it. Home for us has been wherever we’re together. And for a moment we had millions of eyes on us. Yea, 40 million of them. Even when it felt like the world was trying to pit us against each other, we’ve always had each other’s back. Of course, we’re family. We work so well together. I mean, his big ol’ brain and his unbeatable heart. I guess all we need now is to find the nerve to turn up together on this stage. It will be like going back to our roots. Wait a second, who’s Dorothy and who’s Toto in this relationship? Well, I am the feisty one so clearly I’m Toto. Probably time for you to click your heels three times, Dorothy, and take us to stage. Here we go!” Visual clues included an old radio, a book called “Beeting the Odds,” a 2 of Hearts playing card and a basket of apples.

8:45 p.m. — Beets are singing “Home” by Michael Buble. While these two seemed like they could be comedians by how they presented themselves, they’ve got incredible voices. It took me a few seconds to think about why I recognize these voices and then it hit me. I’m nearly positive this is Clay Aiken and Ruben Studdard from “American Idol.” The voices are undeniable. For an additional clue, Toto brings out…himself! Beets say, “Like Toto and Dorothy, we’re the best of friends and we’re pretty good co-stars too.” This leads the panelists to guess Will Arnett & Jason Bateman (Rita), K-Ci & JoJo (Ken) and Steve Martin & Martin Short (Robin).

Screen Rant article on the Beets. (Sorry about the bad formatting)

The Masked Singer season 11 features the duo Beets as one of its 16 competitors, and there are many clues to help figure out who they really are. The Masked Singer season 11 once again features longtime host Nick Cannon, along with original panelists Robin Thicke, Jenny McCarthy-Wahlberg, and Ken Jeong. Rita Ora took Nicole Scherzinger's place on the panel for season 11, while Nicole was starring in London's West End production of Sunset Boulevard.

The Masked Singer season 11 introduced Group B during The Wizard of Oz Night, which was a celebration of the 85th anniversary of the beloved film. Other season 11 theme nights will include the 40th anniversary of the classic toy Transformers, Billy Joel, Queen, Girl Group, Soundtrack of My Life, TV Theme, and Shower Anthem Nights. In addition, the panelists will once again have the option to use the Ding Dong Keep It On Bell to save contestants if they choose to. Here are all of the clues to figure out Beets' true identities.

Beets’ The Wizard Of Oz Night Performance & Clues
The Masked Singer Season 11's Beets With Host Nick Cannon

During The Masked Singer season 11 The Wizard of Oz Night, Beets sang "Home" by Michael Bublé in stunning harmony. Before the performance, Nick asked them who they were inspired by from the film. One Beet answered, "I think because of our loyalty as friends, Dorothy and Toto."

Beet #1 began the clue package by saying, "There's no place like home, and wouldn't we know it. Home for us has been wherever we're together. And for a moment, we had millions of eyes on us." Beet #2 added, "Yeah, 40 million of them." At that point, an old-fashioned radio was shown. Beet #2 continued, "And even when it felt like the world was trying to pit us against each other, we've always had each other's back." He gave Beet #1 a gift, which was a book with a picture of one of the Beets on the cover with the title, "Beeting the Odds." Beet #1 said, "Of course. We're family."

Beets then sat down to play cards. Beet # 1 said, "We work so well together. I mean, his big old brain." Beet #2 added, "And his unbeatable heart." Beet #1 then put down the two of hearts card on the table, and threw up his hands in victory. The Masked Singer season 11 contestants were then shown on a farm. Beet #2 said, "Guess all we need now is to find the nerve to turn up together on this stage. It'll be like going back to our roots." Beet #1 then shined an apple on himself.

Beet 1 said, "Wait a second. Who's Dorothy, and who's Toto in this relationship?" Beet #2 replied, "Well, I am the feisty one, so clearly I'm Toto. Probably time for you to click your heels three times, Dorothy, and take us to stage." Beet #1 declared, "Here we go!"

After their incredible performance, another clue about Beets was revealed, which was Toto from The Wizard of Oz. Beet #2 explained, "Like Toto and Dorothy, we're the best of friends." Beet #1 added, "And we're pretty good co-stars too."

The Masked Singer Goldfish costume

Beets’ Identity Predictions
The Masked Singer Season 11 cast of judges Custom image by César García

The Masked Singer season 11 panelists had some great guesses for Beets. Rita was convinced that they were comedians. She guessed that they might be Will Arnett and Jason Bateman. Ken thought that they were a legendary duo and guessed K-Ci & JoJo. However, Robin declared that it might've been one of Ken's all-time worst guesses. He thought that Beets might be either radio personalities or television personalities, and guessed Steve Martin and Martin Short.

Although The Masked Singer season 11 panelists tried their best, Beets' unmistakable vocals and clues indicate that they are a completely different duo: Ruben Studdard and Clay Aiken. The American Idol season 2 winner and runner-up have been working together for years, from their early days in the reality singing competition to their recent tour in which they celebrated their 20th anniversary of appearing on the show. In addition, in 2018, they starred on Broadway in Ruben & Clay's First Annual Christmas Carol Family Fun Pageant Spectacular Reunion Show.

The 40 million eyes on Beets referred to the American Idol audience, while the clue about pitting them against each other referred to the fact that Ruben and Clay competed in the finale. The "unbeatable heart" referenced Ruben winning American Idol. Clay came in second, which is why there was a two of hearts card.

Beets wowed everyone with their outstanding performance on The Masked Singer season 11. They will next appear with the other Group B contestants during Girl Group Night. The Beets will definitely go on in the competition.

According to Google, the show was filmed from September 6 to October 6 last year.  

October 7 was Gala day, including the bus tour.  Either Beets don't win, or Clay was running on adrenaline the day of the Gala.

On 3/12/2024 at 9:29 AM, ldyjocelyn said:

Tweet from Clay.  Interesting that he's still friends with Carrie

I saw an interview with Carrie Sheffield (last year) where when asked what she would do if she could start over. She said, do musical theatre with her best friend Clay Aiken. I thought that was surprising to hear.. but I love it! ❤️❤️

• Like 1

A clip of someone who works in audio production and could auto-correct the talking voices.  I think he also does the singing voices, but—did we need that?  LOL.  

On 3/14/2024 at 11:00 AM, ldyjocelyn said:

According to Google, the show was filmed from September 6 to October 6 last year.  

October 7 was Gala day, including the bus tour.  Either Beets don't win, or Clay was running on adrenaline the day of the Gala.

Besides Oct 7 Gala Day, there were shows in Nashville, and Cincinnati on Oct, 8 & 9th, so quite a marathon on adrenaline!

I'm keeping fingers crossed that Beets win,  or at least go deep in the competition.

We know the show is pretaped. AND likely heavily edited. 

It's not uncommon to film scenes out of chronological order (reality shows are no different), driven by location/set efficiencies, cast and staff schedules, etc etc etc.  Also pure speculation on my part, but multiple 'endings' could also be filmed ahead of time, and editing takes care of which one is used depending on outcome of voting.

Go Beets!!