All about Macca!

luckiest1

I got my download of Memory Almost Full yesterday from iTunes, and I wondered if anyone was interested in sharing opinions on it, for starters. I'd also love a place to keep up to date with Paul and what he's up to, so I don't miss anything!

I'll be back to post my thoughts about the new album soon.

ETA for anyone thinking of d/l it from iTunes - it comes with the video and 4 bonus tracks. One of the bonuses is a 26 minute interview. Paul comments about each song, what it means to him, why he likes it, just a bunch of random stuff. It's very cool. Makes you go back and listen again with new ears. He also makes reference on one song to how much that one will be fun to play live. This gives me great hope that he'll embark on another tour. YAY!

Ok first impressions - my absolute favourite song has to be Only Mama Knows. Great, rocking song in the tradition of Wings.

Edited by luckiest1

Dammit! I read this too late. *sulks*

I talked to a lady in my office who is a HUGE Macca fan this morning. She hasn't got her album yet because she ordered the deluxe edition from Amazon and it hasnt' arrived. But she said she heard a rumour that he is planning to go back out on tour next year. No idea how valid that is, but it is encouraging, nonetheless. :clap:

Edited by luckiest1

I woke up today with "Only Mama Knows" going round and round in my head. I also got a look at the deluxe version of the CD - the lady brought it into work. I may have to go out and get it (or order if from Amazon, more likely) because the packaging is gorgeous.

So he apparently played a secret gig in London last night, and will play on in New York next week too. Sounds to me like he's gearing up for a tour of this album. Sounds good to me!

ETA, went out at lunch and stopped in at a Starbucks to get an iced chai (because it's damned hot here today!) Macca was everywhere, including on those little reloadable Starbucks cards you can get. So I scored some free McClack!

ldyjocelyn, still waiting for your impressions. ;) So far, I like most of the songs on the CD. There are a few that kind of grate on me, like Mr. Bellamy and Gratitude, though. Just a little bit too "out there" for my liking.

Edited by luckiest1

Bringing this over from the main thread.

Who was looking for a Paul McCartney review? I just listened to Memory Almost Full for the first time today. First, I love Paul McCartney, and his concerts are spectacular, but his recorded music hasn't done much for me lately. This album started that way for me too ... sounded like standard issue Macca at first, but I was distracted and wasn't giving it my undivided attention. Until Mr. Bellamy came along and gave me a head snap. I sat down and listened. And it unfolded like a rose petal. That Was Me was a kick! House of Wax -- I had to repeat that one three times, a dead giveaway that I've got a huge favorite on my hands. So by the end I know it's totally brilliant. And I hadn't even given the first few songs a true listen yet! Now I have and my verdict is: I think this is the masterpiece McCartney has been waiting 40 years to write ... and wouldn't you just know he'd do it when he's 64. It's so Paul. Yep, I'm nodding my head. I'm glad it's No. 1.

Thanks for bringing that over! I didn't realize this thread was here. I have had a "relationship" with Paul for most of my life. Yeah, yeah, yeah.

So many stories, but one that is timely to the 40th anniversary of Sgt. Pepper comes to mind. When I was 18 I eloped. I left home on the morning of June 1, 1967 and was married on June 3rd. I surreptitiously packed my suitcase, and rode off with the man I would marry in the wee hours of the morning. As we stopped nearby for gas, with the radio on, the talk was about Sgt. Pepper being released that day .. and then they played the first song I was to hear from the new album and it was ... She's Leaving Home. And more than that, the words overlaid so perfectly with my life that I felt a divine approval of what I was doing. John was pumping gas and I sat in the car alone listening to that song, that was about me at that exact moment in time and about the circumstances that had led me there. After that, I couldn't listen to She's Leaving Home for a long, long time.

Oh the 60's -- it was the best and worst of times -- and it's becoming clearer to me that the latest iteration is at hand.

Wow, keepingfaith, that is an amazing story. Thanks for sharing.

This album keeps growing on me. I wake up humming it. I don't remember the last time a non-Clay album affected me this way. I'm thrilled for Paul. I can't wait for the tour.

Right now I'm stuck on That Was Me. Catchy and great lyrics for Beatles fans especially. I discovered the Beatles when I was 16 or 17 (way past the time they'd broken up already). A friend of a friend put Abbey Road on the turntable and I was a goner. Hook, line and sinker. I spent the next year or so buying every album (and then the next 15 years after that rebuying them in original form and giving away those purple Capitol reissues). Of course, in the past 10 years or so, I've replaced them all with CDs. But I'm excited that they may put a lot of the Beatles/Macca catalogue on iTunes. It seems to me that the newer CDs sound better than the older CDs - is that because they are digitally remastered? I don't know much about that stuff - just know what I like.

ETA this link to a great site for everything Macca:

http://www.maccareport.com/

I don't click on it often enough, which is why I am always behind in the news. It's almost overwhelming, the amount of info there. And they usually have links to cool media, too!

Edited by luckiest1

When I think about why the Beatles broke up, I can think of lots of reasons, other than the obvious animosity among the boys at the time, but symbolic ones such as the 60's were over, etc. But what ever could have topped Abbey Road? Where was there to go after that ... and the final words recorded as "The Beatles" were Paul McCartney singing "And in the end, the love you take is equal to the love you make." That's walking out at the top of the game. I loved them all, but in my 15 year old Beatlemania days ... I was the biggest Paul freak in my school. I'm a music lover and have tons of albums and CDs and yet the only three guys I've ever gone totally ape-shit over on a personal basis have been Paul McCartney, Justin Hayward and now ... you know who!

I have to admit as much as I love beatles songs...I never really read too much about them. Paul was also my favorite and I tend to like the McCartney songs more than the lennon ones.

Yup this is a CD that has to be listened to more than once...I think I'm on the 4th repeat.

ldyjocelyn, still waiting for your impressions. ;) So far, I like most of the songs on the CD. There are a few that kind of grate on me, like Mr. Bellamy and Gratitude, though. Just a little bit too "out there" for my liking.

Hey!

I listened to most of the album during my 30 minutes on the treadmill this afternoon -- surprised me at how short this album is, because I got all the way to track 10!

luckiest1, Only Mama Knows is one of my favorites on the album as well. But it's very interesting, because like keepingfaith, I think the album really kicks into gear with Mr. Bellamy and Gratitude. From that point on, I really like every song. Vintage Clothes is another strong song for me.

But, don't forget...I'm one of these people that likes strong melodies and harmonies, and -- lyrics? What are those? So for me, it's the tunes that have me hooked.

And yes, I get a STRONG Wings vibe from several songs, most notably Only Mama Knows and Nod Your Head.

Fantastic album. Now I just need to get my husband to hear it -- he's really the Beatles fanatic in the family, although I've bought almost every album Macca has put out in the past 15 years. I loved his experimentation with Run Devil Run (a cover album, heh) and my favorite song by him is Calico Skies from Flaming Pie.

I think it's really interesting that this album is produced by the same guy that produced Driving Rain. I loved that album, too. Chaos and Creation took me a bit of time to get into, but eventually, I did.

Mr. Bellamy is growing on me. :RedGuy:

ansa, what's funny is that I usually prefer the Lennon songs to the McCartney songs (in the Beatles catalogue). But, I was a Wings fans a few years before I even discovered the Beatles. Hee, talk about doing things backwards....

Paul McCartney plays small NYC club

It wasn’t the Cavern Club, or some Reeperbahn dive. And the year was definitely not 1962. But after Paul McCartney finished off his semi-secret Manhattan club show Wednesday night with a blazing, garage-y take on “I Saw Her Standing There,” it was possible to imagine – just for a moment – that you finally had an idea what it was like to see him and his old bandmates play rock n’ roll in a packed, tiny venue. “Well, here we are in a small club,” he said earlier in the evening, sounding as surprised as anybody.

Included in the Rolling Stone article is the set list. Sounds like it would have been a fantastic show.

Cool, thanks for the set list! Most surprising, for me, is that he sang C Moon (one of my all time favourites), Calico Skies, and Here Today. I loved it when he sang Here Today for John in one of his concerts, and then when he sang one of George's songs on ukelele as a tribute to George. I love that he stills pays tribute to them.

I can't even imagine seeing Paul in such an intimate setting. I've managed to see him live 4 times in the past 20 years, always in huge arenas. I hope I get to see him again soon. Last time I paid over $300 for my ticket on Ebay (face value was $250) but I was able to pick exactly where I wanted to sit. 15 rows up, side stage. He was *right there*. It was very cool. This time my son wants to come with me. I think that will be more exciting for me than it is for him. ;) He is turning 16 next month, which is about the same age I was when I became a Beatlemaniac.

ETA: Happy Birthday to Paul! Officially a senior citizen. :cryingwlaughter:

Edited by luckiest1

Did anyone else watch the Larry King interview last night (with Paul, Ringo, Yoko and Olivia)? I don't want to clutter up main with my thoughts on it.....but I'd love to discuss it. I thought it was awesome seeing them all together like that. So cool that they've put their differences behind them and can put on a united front. Made me really, really, really want to go see Love in Vegas if I go in November.

I loved everything about the Larry King show with Paul, Ringo, Olivia, Yoko and Guy ... everything except some of Larry King's insipid questions. And some of his comments that weren't put so well ... like when going to a commercial he said ... "we'll continue with Yoko Ono and Olivia Harrison, who loved and lost." All I could think of at that point was .. what an ass.

Paul was Beatle Paul all the way. Still silly and mugging all the way. And, Ringo continues to be one of the coolest people on the planet.

I loved all the segment's bumper music and film. THAT was fabulous.

Olivia seems to be such a quietly beautiful person -- totally down to earth and very bright.

And Yoko is Yoko. I've always had a thumps-up for Yoko --- as long as she doesn't sing.

Hee, as long as she doesn't attempt to sing. BWAH.

I loved the banter between Paul and Ringo. It was priceless. I loved all the old footage they showed. I agree that Larry got on my nerves at time - especially asking Olivia what she though of the song Something. Come on, Larry, do your homework. That was awkward. But I thought Olivia and Yoko both handled the interview very well....skirting awkwardly worded questions and turning them around to make them positive. But it was hilarious when Larry called Ringo "George". I thought it was funny that Ringo had to tell Paul to cut it out a couple of times and answer the questions. And good for Paul for just saying "I don't talk about it" when Larry tried to bring up the Heather stuff. Oh, and I loved the little bit of song Paul sang with the Mandolin. It was very cool to hear Larry say how well the album was doing. Good for Paul. I think I am going to go home and watch it again tonight.

I would have killed to be in the audience at Love that night.