American Idol 7

Ansamcw

I don't have a lot of feelings about ringers per se ... only if I really don't care for them. And right now ... I'm not in the Carly car. Her black tongue doesn't do a thing for me .... and neither does her voice. And the nurse chick with the two-tone hair ... Just No for me.

I think Michael is terrific. And Little David. And Ramiele -- I really like her voice a lot. I've been spotty with watching and haven't see everyone yet so I'm going to go back up in this thread and watch some videos and maybe change my opinion.

I was really glad, BTW, that Josiah didn't make it. He seemed too fragile for this competition. But Kyle had started to win me over, although at first I was HELL NO about him. He had a sweetness and goodness about him that I couldn't help but like. How crazy that it was KYLE Simon wanted and didn't get and that had him pissed off? That was unexpected.

Overall, or at least at this point, I'm liking Idol better than I have in several years. Keep the celebs off, I say. No more Buble and Diana Ross -- and Lulu (for God's sake what were they thinking!).

David Hernandez...I thought he was great...except for that one note that got away from him

Chikizie...OH GAH...that is soooo cheesy...just no and the vocals...lots of flat note...

David cooke...oh I love what he did with this...very very European sounding...very cool. His vocals though was a bit thin...but I love the rearrangement.

Awww David is a sweety..he seems so real and down to earth. He performed that really well but I had a disconnect with the song and the way he looked. he looked soooo young and cutsie...but the song was more earthy and mature. But despite that...he did do a good job.

See this is whats frustrating...THEY were the ones that chose colton ...who is a good singer but nothing memorable...who will probably be an amusement park or cruise ship singer...over Josiah who is very current...who has a lot of passion and is very memorable.

Boring tonight overall. My question - why is this one guy allowed to have a guitar? Makes him look more "current". Seems a bit unfair.

Luke was terrible - but really good looking.

So far I haven't quite seen that this is the best group ever.

Boring tonight overall. My question - why is this one guy allowed to have a guitar? Makes him look more "current". Seems a bit unfair.

Luke was terrible - but really good looking.

So far I haven't quite seen that this is the best group ever.

They are allowed to use instruments this year. Its up to the performer.

I do think this is a good group cos even their canon fodders were ok...there is no really bad performer here like sanjaya...or chicken little...or charles grigsby....

Is there anyone with star power...so far I really liked Jason the best. I have to see what Micheal has but I ever found anything extraordinary about him.

I haven't been following the spoilers, so maybe this has already been covered. I just came across an entry in a music blog that has a screencap of the girls sitting in the Dawg Pound. Guess whose missing? The Irish Ringer - Carly Smithson. Wonder if something's up?

Micheal was good...but not as good as they want people to think. I don;t even think he has as much star power as Daughtry.

My favorite of the night is Jason castro...I also saw a you tube clip of him and he is very good on stage...

I enjoyed David A. and hope some of the eye candy can stay.

my prediction...Jason Y and chickizie...gone...

I haven't been following the spoilers, so maybe this has already been covered. I just came across an entry in a music blog that has a screencap of the girls sitting in the Dawg Pound. Guess whose missing? The Irish Ringer - Carly Smithson. Wonder if something's up?

Very interesting. I actually feel bad for her. I thought there was truly an air of desperation...like this is her last chance...and Ithink AI keeping her past quiet and instead of making a sad story about her failed career attempt...back fired on her.

Jason...he's my man. He's an original. I like what he did with that song tonight...looking forward to seeing what else he does.

The first guy----David---has a good voice, but not unique.

I don't need to hear any of the others---not that they're all bad, just that I...

don't NEED to hear them again, you know? :lilredani:

Honestly, Jason's the only one that I'm interested in hearing more of.

DId you guys see that Today Show had a story on the non-amateur nature of this year's AI? They talked about Carly and Michael Johns and the young guy---the teenager who won Star Search years ago...and they also mentioned another girl that I didn't know about---one of the buxom blondes who evidently has a history with a record label...Both Meredith and Matt on Today Show showed 'displeasure' at the idea that the show isn't at all an 'amateur' platform...

interesting....

I know MSNBC also did a whole story on them. I think AI made a huge mistake this year by putting in all these ringers but not telling the public their story. Then they take out really interesting amateurs like Josiah and Kyle....pretty stupid.

I really have no problem if people who had a chance before auditioning if they really came off the streets without prior connection to anyone from AI. Specially Carly's story is kinda sad cos her career went nowhere that could be a sad story in itself specially if they showed how desperate she's become. Like Robbie...they did say that he was part of a boy band before...so why not be upfront with Micheal and Carly. Now it looks like they were hiding something

Actually Micheal does not do it for me. he has a cocky confidence that I find irritating. I don't even find his voice that great. He is good and looks good...but nothing really memorable. If you placed him in the middle sans the tongue bath...people will forget him. I actually find David Cook a bit more memorable and more current in his punk rock persona.

I hope Luke can have another chance...gah he is gorgeous...I also like the real amateur feel to Garrett. He really seem like a kid on vacation.

David A...not loving him. he is cute, but his voice is not extraordinary.

I have to admit...this is a very good field...and if Kyle and Josiah made it in, I bet they will be the buzz just because they were so interesting and really adorable. I can see why the producers didn't let them in if they wanted some other people to win. But I think it would've made this season soooo much better.

Danny N...they better watch out...he is Sanjaya with a voice and performing skills I think.

To me, the music business is so much about just pure LUCK, I guess after thinking about it, I don't care about the backstories all that much. Now, if Annie Lennox showed up after she lost her contract (yes, I know she didn't really lose it!), then that would be bad.

But they really are all about ratings and ad revenue, and I think it is sorta embarassing for them that the last couple of idols did not do so well. Considering the number of votes. So I think they just really want good TV and then more passable sales.

I would think that any sort of reporting would be considered good by the producers, just as long as people still tune in, they are too busy counting money to be thin-skinned about it, IMO.

I was flipping back and forth between AI and the new BBCA restaurant show, so only saw bits and pieces. But the few voices I heard started out thin and reedy and off-key, some got better, but I was not exactly transfixed by anyone so much that I did not switch back to BBCA after 20 seconds or so of a song. I thought the guitar was distracting, this is a singing show, I don't much care about the "purist" notion that playing an instrument makes the singing better. Perhaps they could all spin plates on poles one week.

The judges' remarks could actually be taped earlier and applied randomly.

I do believe that for Jason's number the guitar was necessary or enhanced the perfromance because it was such a simple arrangement that if he was just standing there and the guitar was in the background...it could have been stark and seem boring. The the arrangement was so troubador style that the guitar fit right in.

DId you guys see that Today Show had a story on the non-amateur nature of this year's AI? They talked about Carly and Michael Johns and the young guy---the teenager who won Star Search years ago...and they also mentioned another girl that I didn't know about---one of the buxom blondes who evidently has a history with a record label...Both Meredith and Matt on Today Show showed 'displeasure' at the idea that the show isn't at all an 'amateur' platform...

interesting....

GMA did a bit on this this morning, but as was pointed out, these were not successful recording artists. These were people signed to a label who never really amounted to anything and were dumped . That to me gives them no more of an advantage than anyone else. In a way, it is almost a disadvantage. They had a chance and apparently weren't good enough. Once you fail, that label tends to stick to you. And all this publicity is a disadvantage too. I think a lot of viewers won't vote for them because of this and that isn't fair either.

I guess I'm not sure how this is different from past "professionals". We have had back-up singers, cruise ship singers, people who have performed professionally in places like Branson since they were kids (like Kimberly Caldwell, for example). These were all professionals. I am not sure how being signed to a label, even cutting a CD, is any different. This is such a competitive business. Many are signed to labels. Many CDs are released and no one buys them, or even hears abut them. Many are then dropped from their labels.

From what I understand, the rules has always been you just cannot currently be signed to a recording deal (is that right?). If that is true, these "ringers" are well within the rules.

I know nothing about the music or radio industries. Simon keeps saying "relevant" and "recording artist", but if you look at the Billboard and radio play charts aren't most of the top names still rappers or hip hop or at least groups? Are there any solo vocalists that top the charts? If not, then Simon's argument doesn't make sense and the whole premise of the show is out of sync.

I guess that would be asking too much.