All the little birdies on Aiken Street love to hear the Robin goin' tweet-tweet-tweet

jmh123

January 5

Former Gov. Jim Hunt: Here’s how to raise NC teacher pay

BY JIM HUNT

January 4, 2014

FacebookTwitterGoogle PlusRedditE-mailPrint

As North Carolina enters 2014, I have a New Year’s resolution for our state. In the next four years, let’s raise the pay of our public school teachers to the national average. Not talk about it, or vaguely promise it, but do it

Our hard-working teachers deserve it. Today their pay ranks 46 among the 50 states. They could make as much as $10,000 a year more just by moving to South Carolina, Virginia or Tennessee to teach.

To reach this big, bold goal in four years, four things need to happen.

• North Carolina residents must see it as critical to the success of every child in our state. We the people must want to do it, we must speak up for it and we must pay for it.

• The governor and the General Assembly must believe it is necessary and must pass a law this year to do it.

• The governor and the legislature must appropriate the substantial money required each year to reach the goal.

• Over the four years of this effort, as we close in on the national average, the State Budget Office must calculate how much additional funding is required each year in light of the other states’ raising their own pay levels.

These funding commitments must be very large, so the governor must recommend money each year and the legislature must appropriate it.

This may sound daunting. It is. But North Carolina did it before, and we can do it again.

Here’s how we did it in the 1990s.

In 1996, I ran for a fourth term as governor on a platform of raising teacher pay to the national average. During the campaign, I talked with people all over the state about raising pay and improving teaching for all children. When North Carolinians elected me, they voted for that goal.

In 1997, I proposed the Excellent Schools Act to the General Assembly. The act, which raised standards for teachers and focused on greater learning by students, made a historic commitment to raise teacher pay to the national average in four years. It had powerful bipartisan support. It was co-sponsored by House Speaker Harold Brubaker, a Republican, and Senate President Pro Tem Marc Basnight, a Democrat. Democrats and Republicans supported it. The CEOs of 15 top North Carolina businesses went to the Legislative Building and strongly endorsed it. They knew it would boost economic growth and create jobs.

The bill passed overwhelmingly. We made the commitment. Then we put up the money.

Over the next two years, we raised teacher pay by 6.5 percent each year. We created a new teacher-salary schedule. The cost was $170 million each year – including bonuses for teachers who achieved National Board Certification.

And we appropriated $72 million of ABC incentive funds for teachers in schools where annual student learning increased markedly. Every teacher in those schools could earn an extra $750 or $1,500 a year, depending on whether students met or exceeded learning goals.

In the years 1999-2001, we raised teacher pay 7.5 percent each year, at a cost of $240 million per year. We also appropriated an additional $140 million for teacher incentive awards.

And in all four years, we paid teachers more for extra days worked and greater professional development.

By the year 2001, teacher pay in North Carolina had reached the national average. The average teacher’s salary went up more than a third – from $31,000 to $42,000. We rose from 43 in the national rankings to the top 20.

Student learning went up, too. Our average SAT scores rose 40 points, more than any other state. Our students made the highest gains on the National Assessment of Educational Progress of any state.

We proved we could do it, and we proved it was a wise investment. Now we need to do it again.

I talk to too many school teachers who are discouraged and demoralized. One Forsyth County teacher with 18 years’ experience worked a second job over the holidays, selling shoes in a mall. Some teachers make so little they qualify for Medicaid. Many teachers spend hundreds of dollars out of their own paychecks to buy classroom supplies.

We owe them a fair salary, and we owe it to their students. After all, the purpose of improving teaching is to help students learn more. We want to prepare each student in each school to be successful in a competitive world.

I believe North Carolinians want their teachers to be paid at the national average. They want our state’s elected leaders to commit us to this goal. They want our state to make a bipartisan, iron-clad commitment this year to raise teacher pay to the national average in four years.

Jim Hunt, a Democrat, served as North Carolina’s governor from 1977 to 1985 and from 1993 to 2001.

Read more here: http://www.newsobser...l#storylink=cpy

January 15

Retweet from President Barack Obama:

Watch President Obama at 1:05 p.m. ET announce new steps to boost manufacturing jobs: ofa.bo/je

Retweet from NC State University:

President Obama's on his way to campus to announce a $140M energy research institute led by #NCState. #NCStatePower ncsu.edu/power
#NCStatePower Two of my all-time idols, Jim Hunt and Terry Sanford, showed how successful NC can be when people work together. ...
... President @BarackObama’s announcement today with @NCState reminds me of that. #NCStatePower
"We've got 2 do more to connect universities 2 businesses 2 make America the #1 place n the world 2 open new businesses and create new jobs"
Weve been doing that n NC with RTP since 1959! Now we need work 2gether 2 bring 25th century jobs 2 NC. #NCStatePower pic.twitter.com/QTa14E8Y7X

BeCmEARCYAAzeC8_zps7338a348.jpg

America's newest high tech manufacturing hub is going to be based right here in North Carolina!" #NCStatePower

Retweet from the Energy Department:

President Obama announces @NCState will lead the next #manufacturing innovation institute. Learn more about it: go.usa.gov/ZH8z
Research + innovation is what NC is all about 2, @BarackObama. Although it requires us 2 actually work together unlike the folks in Congress

January 16

2014 Power of Play Conference for @includingkids is shaping up 2B the MOST impactful yet. Check it out inclusionproject.org/for-programs/p… & JOIN US!!
Follow my great friend @RubenStuddard and preorder his album, produced by the incomparable @officialdfoster http://smarturl.it/RSUnconditional

January 27

"There are millions of Americans outside if Washington who are tired of stale political arguments" Agreed. #SOTU
"One of the best investments we can make in a child's life is high quality early education. #SOTU
"If you cook our troops' meals or wash their dishes, you should not have to live in poverty!" #SOTU
"We all owe it to the American people to say what we're for, not just what we're against" #SOTU
Sgt 1st Class Cory Remsburg! One of the most powerful & inspiring stories I've ever seen during any #SOTU
Imagine what good could be done if Congress and @BarackObama were willing to work together! It’s time to help people! #SOTU
I know this much — The country needs leaders who are willing to work together, listen, and find middle ground. #SOTU
The GOP response suggests that they have the same hopes for America as the President. I hope they can work together to make them reality.

February 5

I’m running for Congress clayaiken.com #clayfornc
Follow my campaign account for more #clayfornc MT @ClayForNC: Like our Facebook page to find out more facebook.com/clayfornc
Watch my first campaign video to learn why youtube.com/watch?v=EpePzR… #clayfornc cc: @ClayForNC

Please consider making a contribution to launch OUR campaign secure.actblue.com/contribute/pag… cc: @ClayForNC #clayfornc

Retweet from Houston Barnes (one of his former rivals for the Democratic nomination):

This morning I am announcing my support of @clayaiken – read the press release at houstonbarnes.com/clayaiken #ncpol
I'm running for Congress clayaiken.com #ClayforNC
Watch my first campaign video to learn a lot more about me clayaiken.com #ClayforNC
Please consider making a contribution to launch OUR campaign secure.actblue.com/contribute/pag… #ClayforNC

February 5 Cont.

For most Americans, there are no golden tickets — not like those on TV. We must increase opportunity: clayaiken.com
The early support for our campaign has been amazing. Please consider making a contribution today secure.actblue.com/contribute/pag… #clayfornc
I am humbled by your support. Sign up via clayaiken.com to find out more about the journey ahead. #clayfornc

Amy John Littleton:

I'm a Claymate for life and so glad @ClayForNC has decided to run for Congress! Great candidate for NC-02! @clayaiken #clayfornc

Clay's reply:

@Amylil10 thank you!

Kevin John Rogers:

Kudos to @clayaiken for a great campaign kick off. I'm in DC w/ a bunch of NC politicos and we are all impressed. #NCPOL #clayfornc

Clay's reply:

@kevinjohnrogers thank you, Kevin
I learned about the difference that we can make beginning as a teacher. Let's make a difference in DC clayaiken.com #clayfornc
To join my campaign check out the campaign website, enter your info, and click submit clayaiken.com #clayfornc

Retweet from CNN Public Relations:

After the break: CNN's @BrookeBCNN will speak live with @clayaiken about the announcement that he is running for Congress in N. Carolina.

February 5 Cont.

Clay retweeted from his official campaign Twitter, @ClayForNC:

I’ll be on MSNBC's @TheLastWord with @Lawrence tonight discussing my campaign for Congress. Tune in at 10pm ET. #ClayForNC

Retweet from Conehead76

Tune into MSNBC's @TheLastWord with @Lawrence right now to see @clayaiken discuss his campaign for his run for Congress. @ClayForNC

February 6

In case you missed my appearance on @Lawrence last night, check it out here msnbc.com/the-last-word/… #clayfornc #ncpol
I also had a chance to speak with @BrookeBCNN cnn.com/video/data/2.0… #clayfornc #ncpol
For more on my campaign for Congress follow @ClayForNC - thank you for all of your support! #clayfornc #ncpol
Thanks for tuning in! RT @agirly: Coming up on MSNBC @clayaiken on the Daily Rundown with @chucktodd

ALovely_DAE tweeted:

Hey @clayaiken you got my vote!

Clay replied:

@ALovely_DAE thank you!

Retweet from Conehead76

Go to clayaiken.com to contribute & show your support! @clayaiken is the voice & the change that the people need. @ClayForNC
Check out my appearance on @chucktodd’s Morning Rundown msnbc.com/the-daily-rund… #clayfornc
Please consider making a contribution to keep our momentum going secure.actblue.com/contribute/pag… #clayfornc #ncpol

Retweet from @BlessThisTable:

A touching video & look into the reason @clayaiken is running for Congress in North Carolina: ow.ly/tm7kI #GoClay
A great clip! RT @clayaiken: Check out my appearance on @chucktodd’s Morning Rundown msnbc.com/the-daily-rund… #clayfornc
RT @clayaiken: Please consider making a contribution to keep our momentum going secure.actblue.com/contribute/pag… #clayfornc #ncpol

February 7

RT @ClayForNC: The @newsobserver highlights @jgaryp’s column on why he is standing with @clayaiken newsobserver.com/2014/02/06/359… #clayfornc
The attacks on my campaign this week represent Washington D.C. values fully — the values of the insiders at least. #clayfornc
I’ve lived in NC virtually my entire life and my Mother, Grandparents, students, and teachers taught me much about life. #clayfornc
If you stand with me today with a donation to our campaign then we will show that NC values are alive and well secure.actblue.com/contribute/pag…
Help my campaign raise $65,000 online in our first five days. Give today: secure.actblue.com/contribute/pag… #clayfornc #ncpol

February 8

I am in Harnett County visiting voters this morning! #ncpol #ClayforNC pic.twitter.com/YmHzwAVFhE

Bf9N63mIYAANg48_zpsa0025bb8.jpg

Retweet from rcknrllmom

Don't forget to go to clayaiken.com to contribute to a candidate determined to make a difference! @clayaiken @ClayForNC
I have enjoyed meeting voters in Harnett County this morning. #clayfornc #ncpol pic.twitter.com/BsCeDyKbML

Bf98QcHIIAE5JgK_zpsd47ab147.jpg

I also met up with educators in Fayetteville as they left for Raleigh this morning. They were fired up. #clayfornc

Retweet from @DeeganWilliams

"We are sending @kayhagan back to Washington and sending @RepReneeEllmers back to Dunn." -@ClayForNC #NCPol #NC02
My morning started with educators in Fayetteville who inspired me with their energy and enthusiasm for public education. #clayfornc
We then headed up to Harnett County for the annual "Groundhog Breakfast" where we were met by enthusiastic folks eager for change.
I am heading back to Cary now and my team tells me that we're getting close to our goal: secure.actblue.com/contribute/pag… #clayfornc #ncpol

Retweet from @dealingdiva

Want to make a differ. in Congress? Help send @clayaiken by sending a ck today to: Clay for NC, PO Box 3809, Cary NC 27519-3809 @ClayForNC

Retweet from @lavraiefarouche

Problem in DC is NOT DC -- it's those being sent there. Send @clayaiken to rep NC's 2d district. A voice for meaningful change. @ClayForNC

February 9

I am in a campaign meeting with my team today and we are excited about your support. Help us keep it going: secure.actblue.com/contribute/pag
We are humbled to nearly 1200 donors already! Please give if you are able secure.actblue.com/contribute/pag… #clayfornc #ncpol

Retweet from toni1991

Clay is a voice for the people RT @ClayForNC: Contribute to keep @clayaiken’s momentum going secure.actblue.com/contribute/pag… #clayfornc #CLAYAIKEN
RT @judyvelasco: @clayaiken I donated yesterday. EVERYONE...it's not painful..do it at clayaiken.com Let's raise the bar for him!
Our campaign team is enjoying fantastic BBQ & hush puppies at the present. We are also discussing how fantastic all of you are!

Tweet from pamm337

@clayaiken pls let us know where we can help.

Clay's reply:

@pamm337 we will. Thank you!

February 9 Continued

Conversation:

@TheModernSouth

.@ClayForNC is nearing $55k since 2/5. Don't know that he'll hit that $65k goal tomorrow but could hit close. #ncpol #clayfornc @clayaiken

@Ronsanyal

@TheModernSouth @ClayForNC @clayaiken Please don't forget other candidates #SANYALFORCONGRESSNCD13

@TheModernSouth

@Ronsanyal @ClayForNC @clayaiken We can't all have Claymates! But it is a pretty fantastic fundraising run for him.

Clay:

@TheModernSouth @Ronsanyal @ClayForNC thanks for following along

______

.@ValProcopio @CampbellGOP I welcome the support of any and all voters. Looking forward to seeing y'all again soon.

Tweet from scnbnc

Yeah, too early in the game for "no comment" RT@brianonorio: @scnbnc @clayaiken big question, clay. Are you #TeamSlaw or #TeamNoSlaw?

Clay's reply:

.@scnbnc @brianonorio I am usually a no slaw guy, but some of my best friends love the combo!

Conversation, starting with ColWaters

I donated, did you? Visit clayaiken.com and support the cause. @clayaiken

Clay's reply:

@ColWaters thank you!

Then, Alyssa_Weaver (who looks to be ColWaters roomate)

THANK YOU @clayaiken for making her entire life #tears pic.twitter.com/2lp0YXv7wZ

(Picture is of ColWaters Crying with her phone)

Clay's reply:

@alyssa_weaver thank you for the tweets. Y'all have a good night.

February 10

We are so close to our goal. Will you chip in $10 and put us over the top? secure.actblue.com/contribute/pag… #ncpol #clayfornc
@JessieMcV123 @Conehead76 @LauraMichele17 thank y'all for the support

Retweet from jgaryp

ALL teachers! @JamieKirkHahn: Governor Hunt calls for all teachers in NC to receive a pay increase. #EIF2014 cc @emergingissues

Retweet from JessieMcV123

Please visit clayaiken.com today to contribute and stand with him during his congressional run! Even $10 helps @clayaiken #ncpol

He made $65,000 -- and then upped the amount by another $10,000!

February 11

Retweets from ClayForNC

Clay Aiken @ClayForNC

The @washingtonpost comics section thinks Washington is too broken for outsides like Clay to fix washingtonpost.com/wp-srv/comicsa… #clayfornc

But along the way they make a good point about @clayaiken’s unique background and why he is ready to serve washingtonpost.com/wp-srv/comicsa… #clayfornc

____

I am tough enough to help change DC but I agree too many folks go w/ good intentions and system changes them washingtonpost.com/wp-srv/artsand…

3932eac1a6ebdaab738002b01ae8ba01_zps470b2f42.jpg

1aa3a0cec82501a19d54440373f3f9dd_zps444a93a5.jpg

February 14

Retweet from the @ClayforNC twitter account:

Consider making a contribution to @clayaiken today to support his campaign for #NC02 clayaiken.com #clayfornc
We have made a lot of progress. RT and encourage others to give to keep momentum going secure.actblue.com/contribute/pag… cc @ClayForNC

February 19

Retweet from Clay's Campaign page:

Please consider making a contribution to @clayaiken today act.myngp.com/Forms/52345901… - our office is about to open + hiring staff. #NC02
Your contribution to @clayaiken act.myngp.com/Forms/52345901… will help us keep our momentum going. #clayfornc

February 20

Retweet from ncwannabe:

See how @clayaiken wants to give back to the people of NC-2. Check out clayaiken.com & lend support! @ClayForNC
Humbled by the support of so many. Thank you for giving! act.myngp.com/Forms/52345901… #clayfornc

February 22

I had a great time speaking with the @wakedems last night. The campaign continues. Thank you for being you. #nc02 pic.twitter.com/PZtO7epHeJ

Picture is the same as the one from last night.

LauraMichele17 tweeted:

@clayaiken @wakedems congrats on a successful event!! #clayfornc #nc02

Clay replied:

.@LauraMichele17 @wakedems thank you! The Wake Dems did a great job.

Retweet from peggyw26

. @clayaiken can help end gridlock in Congress. A fresh voice for change. Consider donating at clayaiken.com #ncpol #nc02
@Huntkohler thank you!
Thank you! Good luck! RT johnburnsnc: @clayaiken, good to meet you last night. Looking forward to the campaign trail. Good luck.