All the little birdies on Aiken Street love to hear the Robin goin' tweet-tweet-tweet

jmh123

April 18

Retweets from the ClayforNC twitter:

Check out this great piece on @clayaiken being a voice for educators educationvotes.nea.org/2014/04/18/cla… #edtalk #nc02 #standwithclay
Proud to receive the endorsement of the @NCStateAFLCIO for the May 6 primary: aflcionc.org/endorsed-candi… #ncpol #nc02

April 26

Retweet from DeaganWilliams:

I voted for real representation, education, veterans & military families, I just voted early for @ClayForNC! #NCPol pic.twitter.com/yEpxtKvJDw

BmJ34q1IEAAV8md_zps58cb5f54.jpg

Met a family of supporters in Fayetteville. Had some help perfecting the photo. #ncpol #nc02 pic.twitter.com/YaV0Vjn7d1

374a309b30c489778d38b595efdf0006_zps64f0926a.jpg

April 29

Proud to receive endorsements from so many great organizations and community leaders: clayaiken.com/news/endorseme… #ncpol #nc02

April 30

The primary is less than a week away! Please contribute $5 today to help with the final push: act.myngp.com/Forms/52345901…

May 3

Retweet from Tyra Banks:

Proud of my friend @clayaiken. We need more people like him in Congress. youtu.be/ypYpLlg0JNk #ncpol #nc02

May 4

Retweet from the campaign Twitter feed:

Clay Aiken winning political respect in North Carolina reut.rs/1krFvU4 via @Reuters #ncpol #nc02

May 12

Keith was a true gentleman. His legacy will be one of great service to the people of NC. I was honored to know him. goo.gl/9p5vzv

And two retweets from the official ClayforNC account:

I am stunned and deeply saddened by Keith Crisco’s death. He was a gentleman, a good and honorable man and an extraordinary public servant.
I am suspending all campaign activities as we pray for his family and friends.

Rest in Peace, Keith Crisco.

June 19

You never know who you'll meet on the campaign trail. Read our latest post on clayaiken.com: goo.gl/Ljm4Di #ncpol

A Chance Encounter on the Campaign Trail

Posted June 19, 2014

As frustrating and disheartening as politics can be, there are moments throughout this campaign that remind me why I’m running for Congress. Sometimes those moments come during a casual conversation over hushpuppies and sweet tea.

I was recently traveling the district when my staffer suggested we go back to one of our favorite spots – Brownie Lu Restaurant in Siler City. It was about 20 miles from where we were, but we decided their delicious broasted chicken was worth the drive and a little extra wait.

There were no open tables when we arrived, so we grabbed a couple of seats at the counter. A minute later, a man sat down next to us. He was an older man, probably in his mid 80s. The waiter behind the counter nodded to the man and told us Jack was a regular customer and dined there every day, sometimes twice a day.

Jack and I struck up a conversation. We got to talking about the restaurant and the 50 years he’s been a loyal customer. And then he changed the subject and asked me why I decided to run for Congress.

I told him about my frustration with representatives in Washington not working together to get things done. He agreed things have gotten bad in DC. He told me he’s followed politics all of his life and even spent a few years in the North Carolina General Assembly back when Terry Sanford was governor in the 1960s.

My ears perked up when he said Terry Sanford’s name. I told Jack that Sanford is one of my biggest role models. I recounted the story I tell so often on the campaign trail.

Back when I was in middle school, I received an assignment to interview a role model. Many students interviewed a scout leader, one of their parents – I called Terry Sanford’s U.S. Senate office and asked if I could talk to the senator. One of my fondest memories is the day I got to sit down with him for that assignment.

I asked Jack if he had any Sanford stories or got to know him well while he was in the legislature. He told me he was very fond of Terry and got to know him best when he ran Sanford’s campaign for governor back in 1960.

Well, I guess that’s a little cooler than my middle school paper.

You could call it coincidence, fate, providence. All I know is that there was a reason I ended up at that restaurant that night. The tables were full, only a few seats at the counter. It caused me to strike up conversation with a perfect stranger. But our hopes for the future of this country couldn’t be more intertwined.

Washington today is nothing like it was back when Jack was working in politics. Will we ever get Washington to return to days of civility when compromise is no longer a dirty word? I don’t know. And it certainly won’t be easy. But I’m not going to sit on the sidelines any longer while our members of Congress make excuses, call each other names, and point fingers.

Jack said he’s retired from politics. It’s our turn to carry on the fight. Thank you for standing with me.

Yours,

Clay

July 4

Happy Independence Day! Grateful to spend today traveling with family and friends to counties across our district. pic.twitter.com/2bLp3IoHQE

unnamed_zps241e66bf.jpg

July 16

Welcome to My Personal Fundraising Page | Clay Aiken for Congress clayaiken.ngpvanhost.com/fundraising/sa…

July 23

Retweet from the ClayforNC Page:

I'm ready for an open conversation w/ @RepReneeEllmers. Please RT if you think the voters of #NC02 deserve a debate: clayaiken.com/news/petition-…

August 22

Congress could do so much more to serve our military and veterans. Read my proposals on @HuffPostPol: http://huff.to/1ohPpcj #ncpol #nc02

Retweet from paigerentz

.@ClayForNC was in town yesterday to see @FAYTECHCC VeteransCenter. Today, he talks veterans issues at @HuffPostPol. ow.ly/ACmOu

September 13

Retweet from the ClayforNC account:

Fun to join @tcmann3 and @MissiMann for the @LeeCountyHS vs Western Harnett HS football game last night #ncpol #nc02 pic.twitter.com/yhFDxz46f9

image_zpsa8789584.jpg

Retweet from LeeNCAE

Great to see @ClayForNC supporting Lee Co. Schools at LCHS football tonight

September 16

Excited for @TasiasWord and @RubenStuddard to join us in Charlotte next week. Get your ticket tinyurl.com/ClayinCharlotte pic.twitter.com/8V4nHRQvcJ

BxrLRyZIQAEc9NX_zpscbbd3f9d.jpg

September 23

Retweet from BarnesCLT

Join me tmrw night from 6-8 at Elder Art Gallery at a reception for @clayaiken for #NC. RSVP requested. #ncpol #cltcc pic.twitter.com/qHhfbU6QnN

BxrLRyZIQAEc9NX_zpscbbd3f9d.jpg

And then 10 (TEN) variations of this tweet, sent to student groups all across the district. These tweets mention a special discounted ticket price for students.

BIG NEWS: We've got a debate, folks! Mark your calendars for Oct. 6! fw.to/W57kBcm #ncpol #nc02

September 26

Enjoyed speaking to the Randolph County Tea Party last night. Important to talk to ALL the voters! #ncpol #nc02 pic.twitter.com/sgakRN77VR

ByeJj_GCEAAKvgL_zps1ed7c6cd.jpg

Retweet from The Courier Tribune:

Randolph TEA Party hosts Clay Aiken: ASHEBORO — As part of the party’s commitment to introduce candidates to l... bit.ly/1n5cC81

Retweet from ora.tv

Clay Aiken On Why He's Quitting Entertainment for Politics bit.ly/1uL0WWo via #PoliticKING pic.twitter.com/FtyD9ymNzk

BybemBJCMAAxdPT_zps068dd7ad.jpg

Retweet from NYTimes Magazine:

"Every once in a while, you have to sing a duet." @clayaiken talks to @jimrutenberg about politics & @AmericanIdol nyti.ms/1vlN5q4

Retweet from Arsenio Hall:

Keep pushing Clay [ @clayaiken ] ... Everyday! This is your destiny! And you are going to make a BIG difference in the lives of many.