Shaping up - Diet and exercise

Couch Tomato

(Sneaking in with fat butt)

I'm going to try to lose 20 pounds by Christmas. I'm not sure what diet I'll do but ANY diet would be better than eating nonstop, which is the course I'm now on. LOL.

I NEED to exercise more and I'm going to try to walk every day--for at least a little while. I'm much too sedentary as I sit at a computer writing all day long (excuses, excuses, excuses).

Yay, Wanda! It's great to see you here. You can do it, girl!

And Lucky - way to go!!! Congrats on needing smaller clothes.

:clap::clap::clap::clap::clap:

I was doing so well on my diet, but then got sick with a sinus infection. Unfortunately, that exacerbated my asthma. It's hard to exercise now, and it's probably not a great idea to be losing weight while I'm sick. Darn it!!! I'll have to get restarted when I'm better. I'm really curious to see what my personal trainer says when she calculates my body fat in a couple of weeks. My clothes are looser, but the scale has only moved a few pounds. Likely I've been losing fat but gaining muscle. At least, I sure hope so!

peeks in..says BOOO...runs out

most exercise I had all day. heee

just kidding..I'll be back..

We did biggest loser at my job for the last three month. I won the first month whoot. Second month I had gained a pound back. This month I'm 5 pounds past where I originally started. FUCK SHIT PISS

I need to get serious.

I was doing so well on my diet, but then got sick with a sinus infection. Unfortunately, that exacerbated my asthma.

Aww Gibby, I'm sorry about your asthma. Sinus infections do it for me too! Get better soon. :F_05BL17blowkiss:

peeks in..says BOOO...runs out

most exercise I had all day. heee

just kidding..I'll be back..

We did biggest loser at my job for the last three month. I won the first month whoot. Second month I had gained a pound back. This month I'm 5 pounds past where I originally started. FUCK SHIT PISS

Oh Oh...slaps couchies hands then runs away real fast. It was good to see you here come back when you can stay longer! :lilredani:

luckiest you are the bomb! Hate you, no I wanna be you....the weight loss is probably from listening to all that clack, not that it's not a pleasant job but just a busy one.

Does this mean your new clothes will be too big? Congratulations!

:F_05BL17blowkiss: :F_05BL17blowkiss: :clap::clap: :04:

Gibby I see you.. I was thinking about you this morning. Glad you are feeling better. :F_05BL17blowkiss:

OK don't hate me but I stepped on the scale this morning and it says I lost 4 more pounds! That brings me to 32 and only 6 away from the goal I set for Thanksgiving. :clap:

YAY...happy for you...

today we were supposed to take a walk but ended up going to the flea market...so I will just do a tread mill. Went for breakfast and went for high protein with omelette with smoked slamon and goat cheese...but I;m proud t say I dint eat the toast and fries....so in the end it wasn't that bad calorie wise.

today we were supposed to take a walk but ended up going to the flea market...so I will just do a tread mill. Went for breakfast and went for high protein with omelette with smoked slamon and goat cheese...but I;m proud t say I dint eat the toast and fries....so in the end it wasn't that bad calorie wise.

The omelette sounds delicious, but still high protein and not too bad in the calorie dept. Thinking about it is making me hungry!

I tried a new machine at the gym tonight - the treadclimber. Whew, that thing can get your heart rate up, and works those leg muscles! I enjoyed it. I also sometimes do the stairmill, which gives the legs a great workout, too. I find that it's good to vary my workout to build muscle tone and to help weight loss along.

Lucky Congratulations!

I weighed myself this morning and by some miracle I've lost 2 pounds in the past week. I have been TRYING to be good, so that is a good beginning.

I'm keeping a food journal and one of my friends and I are sending our journals to each other every evening.

Basically, I'm going to try to eat mostly vegetables and a little meat. No flour and no sugar but I have to have a few potatoes, but I bought the little ones so I'm eating mostly skin. I actually do best on Atkins, but I get so sick of meat and then I go berserk and eat everything in sight and gain the weight back, so I'm trying a different approach. I went to the farmer's market and bought a bunch of vegetables and came home and cooked them all and have them ready in the refrigerator. I usually just eat them cold with oil and vinegar, topped with some sliced meat. So far so good.

I frigging hate to diet, but the doctor says I HAVE to lose weight, and I must show some headway by the time I see her again in November. I was sick most of last year and couldn't exercise and had to take cortisone for a long time after surgery. PLUS, I ate because I was feeling sorry for myself (I must admit.) Pathetic. I gained a MOUNTAIN of weight.

Edited by wandacleo

ok working on this exercise thing..

hooked up with an old friend and we'll be walking the lake once a week.

Now, I need to get back in exercise touch with Muski and go to the aerobics class. I think we do that better than walking. Walking means talking which means talking about Clay which means doing more talking then walking if you know what I mean. heh.

I just had to report back that I walked for 1 mile--20 minutes!! I'm so proud. The last time I saw my endocrinologist, she asked me how much I was exercising and I said about 10 minutes a day and she burst out laughing and said, "Most people would be ashamed and would lie!"

Can you imagine?

Actually, I WAS lying. I was only exercising 5 minutes a day. Tomorrow, 2 miles.

BWAH, Wanda! At least you're honest. I hate being sick. Not only do you feel bad when you're sick, but it's too easy to gain weight. And steriods make it even worse. I've been on prednisone for my sinuses and asthma before, and wow does that give you a healthy appetite! So I know how meds and illness can contribute to weight gain.

Fortunately, I've gotten most of that weight off now, and I'm just working on the last few pounds. It's really a struggle to get them off. At this point the scale doesn't really tell me much, becase I'm gaining muscle and hopefully losing fat, so on the scale it looks like a wash. My trainer will be able to tell me in a few weeks if I'm making progress.

Couchie, I'm glad you're getting back into exericse! I hope it goes well for you.

Edited by Gibby

I just found this thread...well I was trying to ignore it*g* I started back on my diet and walking this week. I walked 10 miles this weekend and I hope to walk every night for 2 1/2 miles. I love using my iPod. It makes it so much easier to keep up a fast pace if you have good music. Now if I could just eat the right stuff! All the talk of chocolate doesn't help!!

All you who are diabetic....just read an article about a study done by the Univ of Calgary, aerobics classes and weight training are said to lower blood sugar in diabetics.

Good for all of us trying to lose weight and get fit...sometimes it's like an occupation but the results are very rewarding.

I started a weight program 2 weeks ago and the inches are coming off very nicely although the weight loss is just about the same at 15 lbs. I still do cardio and water aerobics but it seems the weights may be the trick to losing the spare tire. Hope so anyway!

Edited by Toots

All you who are diabetic....just read an article about a study done by the Univ of Calgary, aerobics classes and weight training are said to lower blood sugar in diabetics.

Good for all of us trying to lose weight and get fit...sometimes it's like an occupation but the results are very rewarding.

I started a weight program 2 weeks ago and the inches are coming off very nicely although the weight loss is just about the same at 15 lbs. I still do cardio and water aerobics but it seems the weights may be the trick to losing the spare tire. Hope so anyway!

ACK!!! You lost 15 pounds and INCHES in two weeks!!!!???

Just kill me now.

Just kill me now.

Crap I wish! No I've lost 15 lbs over the last several months but just started working on weights and the inches are going away around my midsection.

Sorry, didn't word that very clear...

Just kill me now.

Crap I wish! No I've lost 15 lbs over the last several months but just started working on weights and the inches are going away around my midsection.

Sorry, didn't word that very clear...

What kind of weight exercises are you doing that is getting rid of the inches around the middle. I DEFINITELY need those. I have some 2 and 5 pound weights. Are they enough?

wandacleo. I'm working with a trainer in a weight program. We do weight machines, free weights and balls as well as cardio. If you decide to use weights you really should hire a trainer or find someone to help you get started. If you don't use them properly you can hurt yourself or build muscle where you don't want it.

I lost the 15 lbs with weight watchers. Everyone in this thread does something different for weight loss and exercise. It's interesting to read all of the stories about the struggle against weight and age.

Good luck and keep us posted about your progress.

wandacleo. I'm working with a trainer in a weight program. We do weight machines, free weights and balls as well as cardio. If you decide to use weights you really should hire a trainer or find someone to help you get started. If you don't use them properly you can hurt yourself or build muscle where you don't want it.

I lost the 15 lbs with weight watchers. Everyone in this thread does something different for weight loss and exercise. It's interesting to read all of the stories about the struggle against weight and age.

Good luck and keep us posted about your progress.

Thank, Toots,

I've lost 4 pounds in the past week (no where near the 10 pounds I WANTED to lose!!!) and I have been walking 2 miles a day. Groan. There's nothing good to eat in my entire house, so that helps. I'm eating so healthy my system is in a state of shock.

Mark this day in your calendars. It's 7:30 on s saturday morning...and I have on my sweatsuit and I'm going to walk the lake. Did I say it was saturday morning... 7:30? Ok then.

I'm proud. :clap:

I was just sitting here thinking how wonderful it is that it's raining because I'm SURELY not expected to walk in the rain.

I read an article yesterday at the grocery store (killling time in line) that said the surefire way to lose weight is to eat 35 grams of fiber a day and then you can eat to your heart's content. I thought, THIS IS A PLAN!!

However, you have no idea how hard it is to eat 35 grams of fiber!

I finally resorted to eating some revolting high fiber cereal since everything else I'd eaten only added up to 5 grams. I got out my calorie counter book and looked up foods high in fiber and I'm eating lima beans today. All day. This better work.

I'll report back.

Edited by wandacleo

Erm - lima beans all day? You're a brave woman, Wanda!

I'm having trouble getting my last few pounds off, darn it. I'm going to have to increase the amount of cardio I'm doing in order to lose any more weight. I was reading last night that the amount and intensity of cardio needs to be increased if your weight loss has stalled. Don't know when I'm going to have time to do that. I already go to the gym 3 to 4 times a week, and with job, kids and a husband, it's sometimes a struggle to get there that many times. Sigh. I'll have to give it a try.

Wandacleo....I like lima beans but not that much. I'm just not a fan of fad diets but they work for some people. Good luck and don't turn green!

Gibby...I know you do the weights and have a personal trainer and I think ldyj also works with weights. I enrolled in a six week weight class with a personal trainer and this week we discussed our goals and how to achieve them. I do a lot of cardio every week and incorporating the weights makes for a lot of time at the gym. I don't have all the daily responsibilites that you do so it's easier for me.

We discussed how to take off weight and my trainer gave us this graphic:

Increasing your weights, not the reps will build muscle

which in turn will increase your metabolism,

which in turn will allow you to eat more calories

which in turn will help you lose weight.

You have to build muscle before you can lose weight

Your body gets stuck and will stay the same unless you change your weight program every 6 to 8 weeks...i.e change free weights to machines, change machine to cables, etc.. Do that every six to eight weeks and you will see the results.

She says you can stay on the treadmill or ellipitical for hours and not get the weight loss benefits that you see with weights used properly. She is an advocate of cardio and wants us to think about doing cardio at least 30 minutes six or seven days a week, says the guidelines have changed and you have to do more than previously thought. That's also the advice my doctor gave...

Sometimes I feel like the gym is my home but thankfully it's enjoyable even when it's wearing me out.

Couchie....good for you, hope you find it enjoyable and you can keep it up.