Shaping up - Diet and exercise

Couch Tomato

lucky, tummy problems, me too. Never had a tummy until my knees gave up and I think it became more of a postural problem because of the way I had to walk before they were fixed. My trainer said the tummy fat is the last place on your body where you will lose weight. Isn't that a heartening fact?

ldyj, your story is a lot like mine. I'm going for the next 15lbs but haven't stepped on scales this week because RL has been too busy and my gym work has taken a back seat. Today it starts again. I'm not a night eater, never have been but I just like love to eat, also love the food network and love to cook. Once I went on the WW diet my food choices changed and the really gooey fat stuff doesn't look good anymore.

One of my favorite exercises was a dance aerobics class I took a few years ago. The weight came off in all the right places and my mind and body felt so much better. I would still be doing that type of exercise except my knees are now titanium and they don't like to dance.

Just read that if we eat everything available at a Thanksgiving dinner we would be consuming 5000 calories. Yikes! :cry4:

lucky, hives from the cold? Crap, you live in Canada!! Good luck with the gym membership.

Crap, you live in Canada!!

:cryingwlaughter: Hee, it's a bitch, ain't it? One of these days I should do something about that.....but at least, with the Clay hobby, I spend more time indoors, or outdoors in the summer, than I do in freezing cold skating arenas (like my last "hobby"). LOL.

My friend who is going to Kalamazoo with me came over this am to watch Rewind. We both agreed that we need to do something to improve our overall health. She has a hard time exercising because of a heel spur and I do not have a problem that way just need to give up some calories. After the Holidays we are going to work on this together. I know a few of you are going to Kalamazoo and would love to meet you. Just tell me were you are sitting and I will track you down. My friend has the ticket, so I can not remember the exact sit we are in. I will find out and let you know.

has anybody been a member of curves. Trying to find out how much it costs is like pulling teeth..and I'm not one that goes well with a hard sell. I just want to know how much it costs per month. I had a membership at Ballys which I finally let lapse..and I'd have to pay the back months to go back..it will be worth it though as it's only 19/mo. But I found a cuves close by and was curious about them...

anybody know anything?

I was a member at Curves about 3 years ago. I can't remember the exact price, but I want to say it was $25 a month. Sign up in January, they usually waive the registration fee during then, I believe. I had them debit my checking account. I think you have to sign up for a year contract with them. You can also pay a one-time annual fee, which is less than $25 a month.

I did a year there, and I enjoyed it. The main thing for me is that it got me into the HABIT of exercising. I went three times a week. I did find, though, that after a while the machines weren't doing much for my muscles. That was one reason I left; the other two is that I got a great deal through the gym at my work place (community college), and that I wanted to workout with my husband!

couchie, I don't have any personal experience but my daughter has been an on and off member and loves it and one of my former golfing buddies was a member and lost all kinds of inches. Many testimonials to the value of Curves. Good Luck!

gbmifan, good luck to you and your friend in the quest to lose weight and shape up. I've got to ask you, what is an H bra? Is that a size or type?

I wear a 38H bra. They are hard to find and end up costing me about 40-60 dollars each. I knew I was doomed when I was in 7th grade and already war a C cup.

I have never been a member of Curves. The one we had in town closed up. I always wanted to be a member of our local club here that is affliated with the Hospital but it had a start up fee of $400 and monthly cost of $85 and I can not justify it. So I just exercise in my basement of my Gazelle, treadmill, or my bike that is on the trainer. I have great lower body strengh but my upper body is pathetic

No, normally my back does not hurt, but I do tend to slouch somewhat because I try to hide them. Because I am short, when I am not working, I try to wear shoes that have higher heels to make me look taller.

Cute story, I have three younger sisters. The middle sister also had large breast and had a reduction done. My younger sister, after threee children, was totally flat so she had inplants done. She teased the Dr. that they should of did a sibling to sibling transplant with her sister. It is a standing joke with us. My sister who had the reduction now comments that hers now stand up instead of going south.

OK, all you Thanksgiving over-eaters - show yourselves! :cryingwlaughter:

Hee, my problem hasn't been Thanksgiving, but the temptation to snack during the cellcerts that keep me up past my bedtime. Two nights in a row I found myself wolfing down a bag of Lays BBQ chips with sour cream dip. Yikes! So I finally got around to signing up at the gym the other night. Tonight I go for my fitness assessment, and then once that's overwith I can go as often as I like for the next 12 months. Woo hoo! I think between now and Christmas it will be a bit sporadic, but I'm hoping to get into some sort of a routine come January. If nothing else, I at least have a warm place to walk now.

:clap: Good for the gym membership lucky. You certainly need the exercise as a way to cope with your stress and it does that.

I've been slowing down at the gym lately since my back decided to have a temper tantrum a couple of months ago. That said, I'm off the play golf this morning and that always tests my back but I LOVE GOLF!

On the good side, I've lost a few more pounds by keeping my big mouth out of the way of food.

sitcks tongue out at thread

although ballys sent me a nice please come back offer letter...99 for the year so I'll take them up on that..andI can bring my sister in for 19/mo...

You go girl! It won't hurt for long, honest. :cry4:

No, normally my back does not hurt, but I do tend to slouch somewhat because I try to hide them. Because I am short, when I am not working, I try to wear shoes that have higher heels to make me look taller.

Cute story, I have three younger sisters. The middle sister also had large breast and had a reduction done. My younger sister, after threee children, was totally flat so she had inplants done. She teased the Dr. that they should of did a sibling to sibling transplant with her sister. It is a standing joke with us. My sister who had the reduction now comments that hers now stand up instead of going south.

LOL, that is a cute story. Both my sisters are well endowed but it skipped me. My mother started telling me when I was young teen, don't worry this summer will be when you develop. She told me that every spring for the few years. Then one spring she didn't mention it, so I asked her, is this the summer that I'm going to develop? She replied "This is the summer you're going to grow up and realize we don't always get what we want." :lol:

Those are some cute chest stories! It's a lot more fun to talk about boobs than exercise, isn't it? :cryingwlaughter: I'm not extremely well-endowed, but that can have it's advantages. Now that I'm almost 50, I'm not 'heading south.' Heee!

I finally got myself to go the gym tonight. Between all of the cellcerts, clack, and general busy-ness, I haven't been to the gym in a week. But I went tonight, and did 30 minutes on the elliptical and 30 minutes of weights. Yay! Boyfriend kept me going. I was watching CITH clack while I was on the elliptical, and listened to a variety of Clay music while I was doing weights. It sure does help the time to go faster!

OK, all you Thanksgiving over-eaters - show yourselves! :cryingwlaughter:

Hee, my problem hasn't been Thanksgiving, but the temptation to snack during the cellcerts that keep me up past my bedtime. Two nights in a row I found myself wolfing down a bag of Lays BBQ chips with sour cream dip. Yikes! So I finally got around to signing up at the gym the other night. Tonight I go for my fitness assessment, and then once that's overwith I can go as often as I like for the next 12 months. Woo hoo! I think between now and Christmas it will be a bit sporadic, but I'm hoping to get into some sort of a routine come January. If nothing else, I at least have a warm place to walk now.

lucky, have you been to the gym yet? No matter since you've been running in and out for concerts...that out to do the trick.

Hee. Yeah, I went Thursday for my assessment (eeep, body fat % is 36) and he showed me a bunch of the machines. Trouble is, they are the kind I consider, well, exercise. I hatesssssss exercise. :cryingwlaughter: I mean, leg presses, leg curls, and then these things you have to pull with your arms. Not to mention this ball he wanted me to sit on and then do stomach crunches. They damn near killed me. I mean, I woke up with pain in my abdomen later that night! :blink:

So, yesterday I meandered over after work (and by 'meandered' I mean I slugged through the freaking snow) and changed into my shorts and t-shirt, grabbed the iPod, and walked the nice, warm, indoor track for 30 minutes. Now THAT's what I'm talking about! I grabbed a gym schedule on my way out, and will peruse it tonight over my healthy dinner, to see if there are any nice, fun aquafit classes that will mesh with my schedule.

So how come I found myself at the computer last night with a bowl of chips and sour cream again? Not to mention the delectable dark chocolate bar that Scarlett forced on me gave me. I think, at this point, I am just going to aim to maintain my weight until the New Year. There is no way in hell I'm going to lose anything.

Water aerobics are great ways to exercise and build your strength and toning without hurting the body, but not so effective for weight loss. At least you have a place to walk.

Wow, guess you really, really, really like chips and sour cream. :imgtongue: I feel that way about Big Hunk candy bars but every time I get near one my reaching hand gets slapped by my other hand. :ninja:

I agree that it's a difficult time of year to lose weight. My goal is to maintain over the holidays, so that I don't have more weight to lose once January rolls around.

Good for you, lucky, for checking out a gym! I found that I started liking exercise more after I did it on a regular basis, 'cuz I realized that it made me look and feel better. Of course, having Clay vids and tunes along REALLY motivates me to keep going when I'm tired.

New Flash........It's now good to be fit and fat rather than lean and lazy! :clap:

Hey lucky, googling the elliptical for three minutes daily should count for your daily cardio workout. Don't overdue now!! :cryingwlaughter: :cryingwlaughter: I'm going to water aerobics in a few minutes, would you like me to workout for you?

I got on the elliptical last night for 5 minutes. Damn near killed me. And yet, there's my daughter, 20 minutes in, hardly working up a sweat. Then we switched to the treadmill, where I whooped her ass! 15 minutes and I could have kept going for another 15, no problem! She, however, was crying about her shin splints. So I stopped and enjoyed the hot tub instead. :wub:

I ignored the chips staring at me from the top of the fridge later, but I gave in to the dark chocolate.

Toots, how were your water aerobics? I looked at the pool. There were people in there doing stuff. That's the first step, right, looking?

Oh yeah lucky, forgot to tell you about the elliptical, the heart and all the organs required to breath on your first try. :cry4: It will kick your ass but each time it gets better and soon you can just sail along until you become bored. It's a great workout for IPod listening!

Sounds like you and your daughter are having a great time at the gym but the treadmill is hard on the legs and feet! Does your daughter have really good tennis shoes because they are essential.

I had a great time at water aerobics and yes, looking is the first step :cryingwlaughter: sticking the big toe in the water would be the next one! The hardest part is finding a swim suit that best hides our imperfections. :imgtongue: Once you do all of that you are a certified attender of water aerobics and you'll love it!!

Given your I can do this shit attitude, you will have that place mastered in another week.

Kudos's lucky and lucky girl!!! Dark chocolate is good, very good!