American Idol

ShelleyC

Ok....My favorite of the girls Katherine, is doing a good job IMO. Not as intense as Angela and Aretha's version but I think thats ok...She is giving this a different interpretaion I think. I have seen other people try to shout this song out...but she showed great control with her voice...and the most important thing for me...she wasn't pitchy at all...thank god. Very pretty and sexy in her outfit and make up...not trying hard for sure. I agree with Simon...she certainly made that seem efortless.

LUURRVEE Mandisa! She seems to have a great and funny personality, and she can actually perform. The producers must really like her too, since she has opened or closed the show each of the last three weeks.

Oops, I see I forgot about Kelly, who is still to come.

Edited by bottlecap

Ayla started out shaky but then she got into it...I thoguth it was a pretty decent perfromance.

Mandisa...over sang it a tad but she was great...I loved her.

I think this is the type of song that you have to give your all too...it really worked for me.

My ranking...

Katherine...I just really like the tone of her voice and how effortless she sings

Mandisa....I would put her on top...I loved her perfromance but I think she just over sang a bit.

Ayla...I thought she started rather weak but she warmed up to the song in the end...I really liked it

Kellie...I liked the way she performed the song...not the greatest vocalist but she was on tune.

Melissa...i like the tone of her voice and I thought it was a good song choice but she did mess up the last part and she seemed a bit desperate on stage.

Paris...I still think she looks like she is playing dress up...I thought she was a bit breathless...she was pitchy but at least she had fun

Lisa...Boring and pitchy

Kinnick...boring and was so out of tune..

going...Kinnick and Melissa

Paris...She is my biggest disappointment this season. Vocally she hasn't shown the potential that we saw during the auditions. I don't think she has had a clean performance yet. She is always pitchy in places and there is no richness in her voice, she becimes very breathy. I am afraid she went into this competition too soon. I don't think she knows who she is yet and it shows in how she keeps changing her styles and look every week. I think she will make it in top 12...but I think she won't make it to top 6.

Lisa...I think she is just BORING. She is the tamyra/La Toya of this competition. She does have vocal talent...but she does not connect very well with the audience. I also think she has a tendency to be pitchy...and cannot really pull off a powerful glory note. Will reach top 12 not top 6

Ayla...I think she has more pep than lisa...and has been choosing songs that are more memorable. I don't think she is as good a vocalist as the other girls but she has good stage presence. Top 12 but not top 6

Kellie...I really like this girl. I do agree with Simon that she is more appealing than Carrie. Carrie is too robotic and you can't say that about Kellie. I think what I find so disarming about her is she wears her heart out on her sleeves. You know how she feels up front and that is very appealing. I don't think she is fake and I don't think she is dumb. She is just not sophisticated and worldly enough to know what calamari is...I know a lot of people who don't and would never eat it once they do know...I think she is street smart...she has enough wit to stand up to Ryan and the judges and does not take herself too seriously. Vocally...she is not as strong as Carrie...but I think she is more competent than Ace and her stage presence is improving. She shows more life than Carrie for sure. Top 12...and top 6

Mandisa...I like her personality and stage presence more than I like her voice. I think she is one of the best vocalist in the competition...BUT she has a tendency to oversing...and at times she gets pitchy. I don't think I heard a clean performance from her yet.But she sings with so much passion and life that the occasional pitchiness does not bother me at all. I also find her very beautiful. Top 12...hope she reaches top 4.

Katherine...so far she is my favorite of the women. I love the tone of her voice and the effortless way she sings. I think she has a very good stage presence. She does not try too hard. I also think she is very attractive and sultry. I think she makes it to top 12 and hopefully top 2.

Melissa...I do like her better than Paris and Lisa. I like the sultry, smokey tone of her voice...but she hasn't been consistent. She has a tendency to be pitchy and her stage presence seem really desperate, trying too hard. I feel bad for her cos I think she knew from the start that she was not one of the chosen ones for top 12 and I think that affected her perfromances. going home this week.

Kinnik...one of my least favortie people. She over sings and she is also pitchy. I find she does have a diva attitude that grates on my nerves. I think she is going home ...not going to miss her.

I was sort of asleep awake during this show. I had just come back from a big dinner with friends and this was not a thrill a miinute. I missed Paris, but saw enough at the end. I just am not feeling the girls, dawgs - When somone who is only a little bit pitchy is considered the best, it is a weak night. But then again, I am not enamored with the guys as most ofthem are wearing out thier welcome as one noters to me.

With Kellie, it would be fun to watch the Kelly and Carrie fandom explode, other than that, Why does Simon want someone who can't sing well to win?

For some reason I don't get the big deal about getting to the final 12, they feel like they are already in the show with the same people singing each week, the only difference is the guys/gals don't sing together, which I believe, makes it harder to watch, yet it still kills in the ratings - who is watching this show? Oh, right, we are.

So I guess tah Kellie and Ace will be the Ruben's of this year in pimpage, except that Ruben really could sing before he wore down. Hmm, it will be interesting to see if they stick with their plan or if they have to chose someone else as the people wear out during the show. Now that they are openily picking professionals for this show, it would be interesting to see if they keep up with the group songs and pimpomercials.

You know what really bugs me about the quality of the performers this year? AI is pretty much the only source of "live" music on prime time network TV. I want to hear good performances, and to be able to watch the show for the music.

As it is now, I am watching AI out of habit, for the opportunity to discuss the machinations of Simon and the producers, and to see what unfortunate crap Paula will be spouting in her impaired state. I resent that the producers are more interested in creating "good" televison than they are in finding undiscovered and worthy talent. The music, which should be the raison d'etre for AI, is way down on the list, and that's just sad.

AI TPTB - :bananasign: I think this an appropriate opportunity to use this emoticon.

Gedeon...he was good but...I still hate the fact that Clay couldn't sing this song on his season. I do hate his stage presence...its very affected..but the performance is very karaoke...good karaoke but its still nothing very different from the original. It kinda made me want to hear Clay sing this whole song. I thought Clay's version was more interesting.

Chris...He sang that song very well...but I gotta agree with Simon...its just not that memorable...but he still killed.

Kevin...OMG..he was so out of tune and what was Randy and Paula talking about. He had this uncontrolled vibrato...it is very high school talent show. He has to go...

Right, Ansa - Gideon was the best so far. Chris was OK but shouty and now Kevin is horrendous. how could anyone think that Clay was not good when he did this song. Ick vibrato version - no, no, this is a simple song

Bracing for negative Clay comment

Edited by playbiller

Seriously...seriously...he was sooooo TERRIBLE...what was randy and Paula thinking.

If this kid gets to top 12...Simon will just use him as a whipping boy like John...please people get him home.

BTW...that was the Josh gorban version he tried...and he cannot pull that off, he couldn;t keep on tune.

Hmmm seems like Simon wants Bucky gone. He was no great shakes, but I think he looks better with his hair pulled back and he looks cleaner - maybe it is the white shirt.

I don't even know what the judges were thinking not totally trashing Kevins version - he got in a few good notes, but most stunk.

ETA - Will - you ain't got soul, honey

Even the whoa's sound not so good.

Edited by playbiller

OK...although I do agree with Simon and Randy that that was an average...OK, Karoke rendition of the song...what I don't get is why Randy trashed that perfromance when he was so complimentary of Kevin...of the two I would say Kevin was the most amateur performance ever.

That is easy, Kevin is a good whipping boy and Will might get fans - I thought they were equally horrid, but Will was more on key and not vibrating me out of the house, just soulless.

I think Taylor is a limited taste and I have already had enough. I think this is an eyes closed performance, much better that way. I think Taylor misstood Randy - over the top is not good. :party20:

Edited by playbiller

OK...Taylor...his movements are really irritating me. He did a credible job, my problem is...he does not sound as good as the original Micheal McDonald...I just keep wanting to hear a richer fuller sound from him. Not loving him...

WOW this night is getting to be a wash for me...nobody has blown me away.

Elliott...ok last week I thought he had great vocals...but not anymore. He has too much vibratto and his voice was thin on this song....I want Clay to sing this song. He was also pitchy!!!!

So Elliot starts off key - I mean, I don't have a good ear, but a couple of these notes sound wrong for some reason. I wonder if it is the mikes? Perhaps they are gearing up to give Acethe best sound. It would be interesting if they are havingthe mikes protooled to help the ones they want.

Edited by playbiller