Job Highs and Woes

Couch Tomato

I'm personally thinking that no one in their right mind is going to want a job where they would be a manager but without manager's pay and benefits (and as far as that goes, authority).

That sounds familiar. I hope they're able to find someone and that you don't wind up getting piled on.

Hi ya'll..

well with me, I have given notice and my last day is Sep 5th. I have no new job to go to but I'm happy about this decision and I have plenty of time to find something new. I'm also deliriously happy that one of my co-workers will take over my job and I have 3 months to train her. On top of that, I was able to get my Tuesday and THursday hours adjusted so I will go in at 1PM to 5 PM. One of my problems is there was no flexibility to spend daylight hours with my mom. So all in all... I'm happy and looking forward to trying new things.

Annabear I say go for it!!

Good luck Lucky and LdyJ...

I have an opportunity at work to apply for an opening in another area, one in which I would REALLY like to work. Openings don't come up all that often, so it's pretty competitive when they do. I wouldn't be crushed if I applied and didn't get it, but my worry lies in how applying might affect my current position. I would think my boss would understand that I'm not just looking to be looking (although...) and that this other position and area matches my career goals MUCH better than what I'm stuck in right now. Decisions, decisions....

Could you talk to your boss and explain that's why you want to apply??

I'd go for it, unless there's a serious concern that it might cause you to lose your current job.

{{ldyjocelyn}} , worse and worse. Oh no.

Couchie, good for you! I'm not having much luck with finding work that accommodates my caretaking schedule, not that I've even requested any special hours--but people immediately assume that it'll affect my work and almost every job I've applied for is a traditional M-F 8 hour day. Haven't seen many that aren't. Funny, if I were 25 and might be getting pregnant in the future, some people would be more understanding. Mostly because they have to be I guess. It's tempting not to mention it, but if I don't, it's hard to explain why I've been out of work so long, why I'm looking outside my field (unable to relocate), and so on.

Hugs to all experiencing job woes!

Right now everyone in my department is just keeping their head down and doing as much work every day as we can. The new boss has decided we can no longer 'bank' hours, thereby making our workday a whole lot less flexible than it was. That was one of the things that made this job, while not the greatest paying, attractive to me (and others). Since we all have families, we took advantage of being able to cut one day short and make up the hours another day. The new boss seems to come from a place where everyone is single and has no family responsibilities whatsoever. She is terribly unflexible on many things. I guess there are worse things but on top of all the uninformed decisions she has made, this is just the icing on the cake.

She has been in town this week (she is based off site, in Moncton NB) and yesterday she came by my desk and patted me on the shoulder. Gave me the willies. I can't stand her.

yesterday she came by my desk and patted me on the shoulder. Gave me the willies. I can't stand her.

To me, that's rather condescending on her part, so I can understand the willies. Geesh!

Sorry the flexible hours are no longer an option, too. That's one of the things I do actually like about my job. It varies from manager to manager of course, but for the most part the whole company is very good about flex-time. In fact, from June thru August, we have the option to work "summer hours", where can work 4 - 10 hr. days and take one off, or 4 - 9 hr. days and take 1/2 half. In my old position, working 10-12 hour days was the norm, so I loved this perk. Now that I'm working with a team lead who doesn't want to delegate anything and I'm struggling to find enough sh...stuff to fill 8 hrs., I'd lose my mind if I had to be here for 10!

Good luck, jmh. It's tough out there under normal circumstances, let alone when you've got special considerations such as caregiving. A friend I met up with in NYC in April went through a terrible time just a year or so ago, having to give up a job she loved and had been at 15 years. Her mom has Alzheimers and was requiring more and more care.

I am going to apply for the other job and I've worked out how I'm going to talk to my mgr. about it. I think he'll be OK. I'll just have to hope for the best when it comes to the rest of the project team.

Glad you're feeling at peace with your decision, Couchie, and that it gives you time to look at other options.

:hugs-1: for all dealing with job stress!

Sorry the flexible hours are no longer an option, too. That's one of the things I do actually like about my job. It varies from manager to manager of course, but for the most part the whole company is very good about flex-time. In fact, from June thru August, we have the option to work "summer hours", where can work 4 - 10 hr. days and take one off, or 4 - 9 hr. days and take 1/2 half. In my old position, working 10-12 hour days was the norm, so I loved this perk. Now that I'm working with a team lead who doesn't want to delegate anything and I'm struggling to find enough sh...stuff to fill 8 hrs., I'd lose my mind if I had to be here for 10!

luckiest1, I understand your problems with the flex time thing -- once you get used to it, being taken away sucks. (Oh, and before I forget -- glad you hear your son is OK after his baseball incident...) We've gone through a similar situation here at my college -- because they installed a freakin' time clock! Professional staff and faculty (including myself) do not have to punch in and out, but ALL part-time professionals and full time clerical staff have to. Before the clock came, the library staff made sure there was adequate coverage for their area, and then they would bank hours, as you say, to take a week off later in the semester. No more. It's a very rigid schedule, and I'm always having to talk to my regular part-time people to say "please don't go over 29 hours!" Even if they are, you know, helping a student with their assignment. It's crap.

annabear -- my college used to actually close in the summer time, and everyone had to take 4 ten-hour days a week. They've now since made that voluntary. Thank God, as I don't think I could deal with working 10 hour days -- it's bad enough with 8 hour days! However -- my alarm went off last Friday, and the news came on the radio, and they were talking about my college "going green." How? By strongly encouraging staff to work 4 ten hour days during the summer! *eye roll*

Good luck annabear -- it sounds like if you give your boss a heads up, he should be fine. Also, {{{{{jmh}}}} -- I hope things work out the best for you. Finally, I'm glad couchie's situation has worked out for her.

BTW -- one of the management team is wanting to "talk " this afternoon. In her words, "a door has opened up." So, I'm assuming that the management team is beginning to fall apart. This is insanity that they even want this kind of thing. It's a library, damn it -- hire a library director!

To me, that's rather condescending on her part, so I can understand the willies. Geesh!

That's exactly what it felt like! Glad it's not just me.....

So, tomorrow I get to learn to be a computer operator. Just a slight step down from a programmer....heh heh. But it's been determined that I am the one to fill the other lady's shoes when she goes on holidays or is ill. Fun, fun, fun.

ldyj, I'd love to work 4 days a week, but not 10 hours a day. *g*

I'm not having much luck with finding work that accommodates my caretaking schedule, not that I've even requested any special hours--but people immediately assume that it'll affect my work and almost every job I've applied for is a traditional M-F 8 hour day. Haven't seen many that aren't. Funny, if I were 25 and might be getting pregnant in the future, some people would be more understanding. Mostly because they have to be I guess. It's tempting not to mention it, but if I don't, it's hard to explain why I've been out of work so long, why I'm looking outside my field (unable to relocate), and so on.

I can understand why you think it would be important to mention it (and you are right, why is there such a difference in the way caregivers are treated as opposed to parents?). I was very lucky last year, when my mom was ill, that my immediate boss was v.v. understanding. Now, her mom is ill and requires 24 hour supervision, and she is making the necessary renovations to her bathroom to move her mom in with her asap. And the new boss (who is her immediate boss) doesn't understand why she needs to take some personal time right now. She is running herself ragged, and I am quite worried about her. She's been so great to me, I hate to see her in this state. I wish there was something more I could do for her than lend an understanding ear.

OK. I did it! I took the leap, updated my resume and hit the submit button on the 'Internal Transfer Request Form'. :00000441:

Break-a-leg annabear!!!! I know someone who used to apply for jobs (even though she wasn't unhappy with the one she was in) just to sharpen her skills at job interviews in case something came up that she was interested in!!

Way to go Paula, Way to go..heee .um..I mean Anna.

Looking back I have to wonder about myself..why did i see that movie like 10 times in the theater. heee.

Anyway, I hope it all works out for you. It sounds like this one is what you really want and is more up your alley.

OK, this is nice. Today I had to train to learn the other lady's job. Not something I was looking forward to, especially the part about having to synch my vacation schedule with hers so that I could fill in for her when she is away. And she has a reputation as a bitch and also she has seniority over everyone here (including the VP's and the President himself, LOL). So imagine my surprise when she told me that she understood that, since I was on the "Clay concert trail" I might not know too far in advance when I needed days off. And since she does nothing more than meet a friend for lunch on her days off, she wouldn't mind switching a day or two if I needed to.

Wheeeeeeeeeeeeeee! :) Now I just need Clay to announce some concerts.......

Eeeeeee! I've got an interview Thurs. now tomorrow - Tuesday! - afternoon for the new job! :)

Thanks guys!

Hallelujah, finally almost finished up this stupid auto assignment on my sit on my ass at home part time job... it was so boring it was hard to bring myself to work on it every night. Go ahead, test me. Tell me your car and I'm sure I can rip off the top of my head the engine specs including hp and torque, transmission, mpg, interior and exterior colors and whether it's a suv, sedan, coupe, hatchback, pickup, etc etc. Ya'll falling asleep just reading this aren't you. Now, onward to something interesting!

ok this site seems to be a good place to start for job search.....

Job Hunt

Right now I'm just interested in resume and cover letter tips and how to best utilize the internet for job hunting. I've just been using Craigslist cuz the monster and those type of sites have too many recruiters.

What do ya'll think of using recruiters or agencies... I've always steered clear but maybe that's not the best idea. I think I want to start applying directly at the company websites as well. I just need to figure out what I want.