#66: "I'm Clay Aiken, and I Approved This Message!"

merrieeee

Today is another bad day for me at work, plus some church things that MUST get done this evening. However, two things: I'm going to start with keeping up from today forward, plus backtracking to get the past two weeks. Also, Fear tells me that playbiller has given permission to bring her posts (specifically tweets and tweet pictures) over from the CH. That should help tremendously!

So...via CV from today, probably from a parade on Friday:

image_zps763833de.jpg

image1_zps748a3ace.jpg

Backtracking....

June 26 -- there was nothing of note!

June 27

Email from Clay’s campaign:

ldyjocelyn,

As Executive Director of the DCCC, I need your help.

I’m working day and night to help elect strong Democrats and kick the Tea Party out of Congress, and I wanted to make sure you know about Clay Aiken in North Carolina’s 2nd District.

Clay’s on our exclusive list of Emerging Races, reserved for only the top Democratic challengers nationwide.

But, last week Speaker Boehner’s campaign arm reserved a $30 million national ad campaign. His goal is to keep Democrats like Clay Aiken out of Congress.

That’s where you come in. We need your help to fight back against Speaker Boehner and his mega-million ad buy.

We’re counting on supporters like you donating $5 or $10 at a time to help us take on Boehner. Will you step up?

We need more people like Clay Aiken in Congress to cut through the gridlock and get real results for middle class families. But with Boehner on the attack, he won’t get there without a big grassroots team backing him up.

Please chip in to help Clay Aiken fight back.

Thank you for your ongoing support and dedication,

Kelly

Kelly Ward

DCCC Executive Director

June 27 also had the news that Clay was originally scheduled to appear on CNN's "State of the Union" Sunday morning, June 29. However, on June 28...he was "bumped." Sigh.

June 28

From the Wake County Democrats web page:

Rep. David Price, Clay Aiken and Brenda Cleary "Meet and Greet"

Posted by Jacqueline Lee 5pc on June 27, 2014 · Flag

Come hear our Congressional candidates, Rep. David Price (4th District), Clay Aiken (2nd District), and Brenda Cleary (13th District) and meet our other candidates running in Western Wake and County-wide. Bring something to share (appetizers, salads, snacks, desserts). Plates, utensils, cups and drinks provided.

Questions? Contact Harvey Richmond at harvey4dems@yahoo.com

When: August 24, 2014 at 2:30 pm

Where: Cary Senior Center

120 Maury Odell Pl, Cary, NC 27513

RSVP: westernwakedems@hotmail.com

June 30

From the Moore County Democrats page:

2014MCDPFundraiserFlyer_zpsdda40ff6.jpg

Don’t know where this picture came from, but it’s very cute!

clay_zps46da6cd8.jpg

Clay campaign email:

ldyjocelyn,

The FEC second quarter deadline is TODAY, and I wanted to make sure you saw this exciting news! Your generous support has fueled our progress to this point and will be a crucial element to ensure the success of the campaign through November.

Please help us reach our second quarter fundraising goal by making a $50 or $25 contribution today.

Thank you for your dedicated support.

Nick Leisey

Finance Director

Clay Aiken for North Carolina

From CV:

Wish I knew how to cap phone voicemail announcement messages. Called ClayForNC this morning to check on something and got Voicemail message in Clays voice with detailed instructions on which number to press for whatever. Has anyone capped it?

Love the way he pronounces "office". Hee

This has now been vaulted at CV!

From Twitter:

Jimmy Van Bramer ‏@JimmyVanBramer · 1m

Good luck to @ClayAiken as he runs for Congress (NC-D2). Had lunch w/him today. He can win! #redtoblue cc @ClayforNC pic.twitter.com/Yvm7q0aiV8

BrZgY73CEAAsEzD_zps499d4b0f.jpg

Jimmy Van Bramer’s Twitter profile:

Jimmy Van Bramer @JimmyVanBramer

Majority Leader and Member of the @NYCCouncil which serves the 26th District in #Queens (#Sunnyside, #Woodside, #LIC & #Astoria)

Sunnyside, Queens · http://jimmyvanbramer.com

Jacob Rudolph ‏@jacob_rudolph

@clayaiken So nice meeting you today! I know you'll get elected and do an amazing job in the US Congress #GoClayGo pic.twitter.com/sjtfEJQQzt

BrZwO3uCAAIYgGh_zps3e5c7152.jpg

Matthew McMorrow

2 hrs near New York, NY

Had a very nice lunch today with Clay Aiken, who is running for Congress in North Carolina. Let's help him win against the Tea Party incumbent. — with Daniel Dromm,Jimmy Van Bramer, Ritchie Torres and Erik Bottcher

10351892_10154298778810137_527130523321368159_n_zpsa95629b8.jpg

Howard Teich

2 hrs · Edited

Met, chatted with Clay Aiken this AM at my office. From American Idol and Apprentice fame, now to next Congressman NC -2. Great guy, strong stance on issues, interested politics since a young student, future positive star for America if elected.

10460179_545842612189198_3112797969646800999_n_zps8398efd6.jpg

OK, I'm done backtracking for the night...but this one was posted today. It's actually from July 4 (which will take me a while to go through...)

Cynthia Eason

8 hrs

Met Clay Aiken on July 4th. It was a surprise he was there.He is really nice guy.We all had a great time at the july 4th celebration.

clay_zps38531f54.jpg

From Clay's Instagram:

clayfornc

A picture from the Fourth. Loved meeting so many folks!

4th_zps1eb542e3.jpg

Posted overnight, from Instagram:

tarheelk9

22 minutes ago

Yeah that's me and American Idol runner up Clay Aiken #celebrity #brushwithgreatness #tarheelcanine #fourthofjuly #sanfordnc

4th7_zps7e69aadc.png

July 1

Email from Clay’s campaign for Gold Circle members (those who donated $52.30 to the campaign before June 30 -- and yes, I did that!)

Dear CA4NC Gold Circle Members,

Thank you so much for confirming my beliefs and showing how supportive you are – and always have been – of Clay and his run for Congress. We truly would not be in such a great position without your help.

This is the first week of the CA4NC Gold Circle weekly raffle and is just a small way for us to show how appreciative we are of your continued support. Moving forward, you will receive a weekly email on Monday announcing the current week’s raffle prize and the name of the winner from the previous week.

CA4NC Gold Circle Weekly Raffle #1

This week’s raffle prize includes:

• A 2 x 2 personalized CA4NC campaign rally sign

• A personalized copy of Clay's book, "Learning to Sing: Hearing the Music in Your Life"

The raffle winner will be announced Monday, July 7th.

Thank you again and good luck!

Eboine Pittman

Clay Aiken for NC

...and this is from July 7, just to keep the two emails together…

Hello, CA4NC Gold Members!

I hope you all had a wonderful 4th of July holiday. It is time to reveal last week's raffle winner. Everyone, please join me in congratulating BARBARA HALE of Wilson, North Carolina. Barbara, you are the recipient of an autographed copy of Clay's book, Learning to Sing: Hearing the Music in Your Life, and a personalized campaign rally sign. I hope you enjoy!

CA4NC Gold Circle Weekly Raffle #2

This week’s raffle prize includes:

• A personalized copy of Rolling Stone Magazine featuring Clay on the cover

The next raffle winner will be announced on Monday, July 14th.

Thank you again and good luck!

Ebonie Pittman

Clay Aiken For North Carolina

Ebonie Pittman is Clay’s scheduling assistant.

I'm getting to the pictures of Parker...eventually. They appeared on July 4. Please be patient.

Re: merrieee's tweet brought over -- Clay has now joined 4Square (so we now REALLY know where he's at!).

Peter Carpenter ‏@cbmaawards · 5m

Lunch with Clay Aiken pic.twitter.com/ZqSR8i5BwV

BsClD07CAAAoZlC_zps17008628.jpg

Both of these are from Facebook:

John A. Nagy

David Woronoff and I expressing our incredulity that Clay Aiken, who dropped in to say hey, did not know the headline on one of our Open Daily covers ("Achtung, baby!") was a U2 album. Need to mention that to Bono the next time he drops in.

10463044_10203271346196860_7798890084295663354_n_zps6b89e16a.jpg

Bwahaha! But that's from a guy who thought "Don't Let the Sun..." was a George Michael tune too!

The Pilot Newspaper

Democratic Congressional Candidate Clay Aiken is in town for the day doing meet-and-greets. He's also speaking today at 5:30 p.m. with the Moore County NAACP at Sandhills Community College's Little Hall, room 191. Earlier today, he made a swing through downtown Southern Pines and dropped in on The Pilot.

10487187_868841389810041_1097579720069100487_n_zpsdbbf8940.jpg

From Twitter:

AKM Band

26 mins

With Clay Aiken and Joseph Carey Rosser in Lillington, NC.

clay_zps381938bb.jpg

AKM Band

30 mins

With Amber Sauls, Clay Aiken, Mike Parler and Joseph Carey Rosser in Lillington, NC.

clay_zps23e0432d.jpg

This one is from today:

Terry Cameron Marquez

a great meeting with clay aiken today. thanks social 165 for hosting.

10417650_10154344301570603_3085905461211495326_n_zps95ef8c92.jpg

July 2

From Facebook:

Jennifer Lea Butler

12 mins

Another great day!!! Vote Clay Aiken in November! — feeling excited.

clay_zps65f3679c.jpg

Team Clay Tweet:

Clay Aiken ‏@ClayForNC 3m

Great day in #Fayetteville today! Enjoyed my visit to @CumberlandNC Sheriff's Office and local K&W!

image_zps7059ba57.jpg

Same picture, but with this caption on Instagram:

Met with #CumberlandCounty Sheriff Moose Butler today. Had a chance to visit with his hardworking staff and even got a tutorial on fingerprinting!

10444450_687654981314234_5632762456224625051_n_zps648793a3.jpg

July 3 -- NOTHING!

The beginning of July 4:

July 4

Campaign letter from Clay:

ldyjocelyn,

I’ve had the opportunity to travel the world over these past few years. I learned a lot from my experiences as a UNICEF ambassador working with women and children in poverty-stricken and war-torn countries. But the biggest lesson I came away with is how fortunate I am to call this country home.

Washington is a mess. But even when we get frustrated with failed leadership and broken promises, we still have so much to be thankful for. There are billions of people around the world who would give life and limb to celebrate alongside us today. Think about that — billions. It’s easy to take that for granted.

unnamed_zps241e66bf.jpg

I’m grateful I get to spend this Fourth of July traveling with family and friends to counties across our district. And as we visit Fort Bragg today, my thoughts will be with those who are serving our country overseas and can’t be here with their families for the cookouts and fireworks. We are forever in their debt.

I hope you have a great Fourth of July weekend. And please take a moment to remember those who continue to sacrifice so that we can celebrate our freedom and independence today… and every day.

Yours,

Clay

From Twitter:

Mark Kropp ‏@Mark_Kropp17 2m

Haha Clay Aiken's politicing in Pinehurst pic.twitter.com/WDsgIrkuz2

Matthew Fedder ‏@MatthewFedder 2m

Just chilling with @clayaiken and @hjordbreezy #secondplace pic.twitter.com/TyPslA6Jbo

july_4___3_zpseefec9f9.jpg

From Instagram:

2014-07-08_1916_zps18c734f7.png

From Facebook:

10341591_4317277587819_6968328671236741068_n_zps15f29225.jpg

image_zps6a76651f.jpg

From Instagram:

Clay Aiken was in the parade I watched earlier! He takes a good selfie and was super nice! Great start to celebrating Independence Day! #clayaiken #voteforclayaiken @clayfornc #americanidol

4th_July___2_zpsca450a28.jpg

From the ClayforNC Facebook Page:

Happy Independence Day! I’m grateful I get to spend this Fourth of July traveling with family and friends to counties across our district. And as we visit Fort Bragg today, my thoughts will be with those who are serving our country overseas and can’t be here with their families for the cookouts and fireworks. We are forever in their debt.

4th1_zpsf306dd6a.jpg

4th2_zpse995e441.jpg

From Facebook:

image_zps099750d7.jpg

Arsenio Hall tweeted:

Arsenio Hall ‏@ArsenioHall 34m

Someone broke into my room and stole my favorite shirt during the final week of my @nbc Apprentice battle. #foundit

And then he posted the picture from Clay’s email! Hee.

July 4 Continued!

From Facebook:

Laura Rowan Hash

Met Clay Aiken today!! — with Shirley Ray, Lynn Bishop Hash, Matthew Hash, Tammy Rowan-Holcomb and Lisa Parton at Shops of Main Street.

10479064_10152245586482756_7774126427496892427_n_zps65a31a9c.jpg

Village of Pinehurst

Clay Aiken joined our parade!

10420048_914618205232057_986676259057645119_n_zpsba5f8841.jpg

4th3_zps9df8a0d2.jpg

From Twitter:

Ace Boogie @Dnewkirk10 · 3m

Lol I just met Clay Aiken

clay_zpscfbc3e13.jpg

From the Clay for NC Instagram:

Had a great time in #HarnettCounty! Now to Sanford for fireworks! #July4th

2014-07-08_2001_zpsb9c87374.png

Cindy Ammons ‏@cindyammons 7m

Well look who stopped by the celebration!!! NC's own Clay Aiken!! What a great surprise!! #ClayForNC http://fb.me/326tS2TpI

10492298_10203408574682533_2300706035007995874_n_zpsb7c2dd1d.jpg

From Instagram:

Jennifer Weaver ‏@ncpurplepirate 14m

Clay Aiken using my phone to take a selfie with the girls! http://instagram.com/p/qDIIUlssek/

2014-07-08_2006_zpsf368fce4.png

Speculation is the buzz cut boy behind Clay is Parker.

July 4 Continued:

From Instagram:

Jessica Estrada ‏@LadyEstrada10 1m

She's star struck for sure! #clayaiken #july4th2014 #amosfamilyfarms http://instagram.com/p/qDLYivoDa_/

2014-07-08_2024_zpsf6485b2f.png

Jessica Estrada ‏@LadyEstrada10 3m

Clay Aiken! #july4th2014 #starstruck #fireworks #amosfamilyfarms http://instagram.com/p/qDLMvSIDam/

2014-07-08_2026_zpse360af68.png

From the Team Clay Twitter:

Teshia Sloan

@bornakeepersmom

Family photo with @clayaiken thanks Clay!! pic.twitter.com/gbkFu5fSnN

BrvToZACQAAxbbp_zps17e6ad22.jpg

Cindy Ammons @cindyammons

Well look who stopped by the celebration!!! NC's own Clay Aiken!! What a great surprise!! #ClayForNC fb.me/326tS2TpI

10368836_10203408574682533_2300706035007995874_o_zpsaa91fb2e.jpg

From Twitter:

Rachel Picard ‏@rachel_picard 4m

Just met Clay Aiken nbd pic.twitter.com/90QV6wnHjj

Brvdx_wCQAAerj2_zps8fac0a83.jpg

I don't have the source for this one, posted at CV. Again, speculation is the boy is Parker:

post_3836_1404525343_zps72aacd4a.jpg

I think that's it for July 4!

dailyhaymaker.com

NC-02: Souped-up, well-prepped Clay Aiken takes to the airwaves in Moore

NC-02: Souped-up, well-prepped Clay Aiken takes to the airwaves in Moore

by Brant Clifton

July 9, 2014

ca.jpeg

Mr. American Idol got a rather warm welcome this morning in conservative Moore County on WEEB radio’s morning show. Steve Leader’s show is a must-visit destination for any politico seeking votes from bright-red Moore County. Steve and news director Al Mangum put the Democrat nominee for the 2nd congressional district under the microscope.

“Actions taken or not taken in the line of duty are fair game for criticism,” Clay Aiken told the hosts. “I am not going to get into talking about someone’s personal life. I don’t think anyone is all that interested in that kind of thing.”

The Democrat was critical of incumbent Republican Renee Ellmers’ lack of success in blocking the move of an airwing from Fort Bragg to Arkansas.

“She was late introducing the amendment to the defense bill that would have stopped the move,” Aiken told his hosts. “Something that important to this district and its economy – I would have been right on top of that. [...] It’s beyond me how anyone could say it’s more fiscally responsible to fly those planes in from Arkansas when we need them. If you’re going to have the home of the Army Airborne, you need to have some way for them to get airborne.”

The hosts asked Aiken how he would balance the conservative nature of this district with the pressures in DC to be loyal to his party.

“I don’t work for the Democrat Party,” Aiken said. “I work for the people of North Carolina, of this district. [...] I think Renee has forgotten that. I think she has paid much more attention to her party leaders in Washington than she has to the people back home.”

The hosts suggested that Aiken might be threatened by party leaders with bad committee assignments and a seat in the very back of the chamber.

“I wish them luck with that,” Aiken said. “People who know me know that no one has had much success in making me keep my mouth shut.”

Some other highlights / insights:

• Likeability: Listening to this interview, it’s hard not to like Aiken as a person. (It’s actually pretty easy to dislike Renee Ellmers personally.) He has some good ideas about accessibility to constituents and placing the home folks ahead of party leadership. (I know. A lot of people say that while they’re running.)
  • Tempered. That is a word the Democrat used quite a bit to describe his stance on many issues. Aiken made his name as a singer, but it sounds like he will master “tap-dancing” and tightrope walking by the time the campaign is done. It’s clear he and his advisors recognize that they are trying to win in a very, very conservative district.
  • Gun Control. Aiken took middle-ground positions on issues like gun control, where he poo-pooed a lot of gun control legislation — but held out for some way to keep guns out of the hands of the mentally ill and criminal classes.
  • Social Programs and Welfare. Aiken advocated for more ways to “incentivize” people to work rather than wait for a government check. He cited the earned income tax credit — in its Reagan era form – as a great idea that needs to come back.
  • Military Intervention. The Democrat was asked about the current situations in Iraq and Syria. “We have the best prepared, best trained military in the world. I don’t like the idea of sending them around the world in harm’s way like they’re toy soldiers.”
  • ObamaCare. Aiken says he sees a lot of problems with the law that need to be “fixed,” but balked at the idea of a repeal. He cited the example of a Sanford businessman struggling to adhere to the requirements of ObamaCare: “If we had put aside all of those repeal votes, and instead focused on fixing that law, this man and people like him would probably be in a lot better shape.”
  • Amnesty. Aiken seemed to be to the right of Ellmers on this issue. He cited securing the southern border as the top priority. Aiken made a comparison to the 1986 effort at amnesty: “If we don’t take this seriously now, we’ll be dealing with this again in 20 or 30 years.” But the candidate balked at the idea of deporting ALL illegals currently in the country — citing the “expense.”

Listen to the man for yourself by clicking on the link at the top of this article. Aiken and Ellmers face the voters in November.

Radio interview embedded! Listening to it now, sounds pretty good!