#66: "I'm Clay Aiken, and I Approved This Message!"

merrieeee

Probably not a good idea to post it here. According to my sister it has already been picked up at a "site" and mocked. I never got the email or I would forward I to you. You can find it on CV maybe in the index thread or the focus thread. Even the CH moved it to the den.

Running for Congress is a whole different scenario than being a celebrity. People are lined up to find anything they can use to diminish Clay. Whenever I see you again, I'll be happy to talk about things I have left out of my recaps. I'll probably never get to a fundraiser dinner but I keep my ears open at the other things I go to.

Just taking blurry selfies with Clay Aiken, no big deal. #hiiloveyou #clayaiken

http://instagram.com/p/pKxRfjCiVW/

Image_1_zpsee5819d9.jpg

Internship perks. #ClayAiken

http://instagram.com/p/nij2BgHU-w/

Image_2_zpsf4502daf.jpg

Watching me, watching you๏ฟฝ๏ฟฝ The camera guy knows what's up! #clayfornc #clayaiken #firstfriday #sopines #southernpines #southern

Image_4_zps78439f73.jpg

Via CV:

GOOD NEWS ABOUT DEMOCRATS! JUNE 17, 2014

http://www.ncdp.org/sites/ncdems/files/GOO...6%20%281%29.pdf

image_zps9b6314b2.jpg

Second Congressional District Congressional Candidate Clay Aiken at the State Convention.

image1_zpsf1cd7a34.jpg

Second Congressional District Candidate Clay Aiken gave a heartfelt and humorous speech about why the districtโ€™s incumbent needs to be brought home. The members of the Democratic Men shouted their agreement. The entire nation is focused on Clayโ€™s dramatic campaign.

New letter from Clay:

My name,

As frustrating and disheartening as politics can be, there are moments throughout this campaign that remind me why Iโ€™m running for Congress. Sometimes those moments come during a casual conversation over hushpuppies and sweet tea.

I recently passed through one of my favorite restaurants in Siler City. I sat down to a quick, unscheduled dinner with a staffer. All the tables were full, so we ate at the counter. I struck up a conversation with the man sitting next to me. A few minutes later, I find out he's somebody I could've only dreamed of meeting during this campaign.

It was one of those chance encounters in life, and I can't stop telling people about it. Check out our latest post on clayaiken.com to get the full story. I hope you get a kick out of it the way I did.

Yours,

Clay

And here is the story on clayaiken.com:

A Chance Encounter on the Campaign Trail

Posted June 19, 2014

As frustrating and disheartening as politics can be, there are moments throughout this campaign that remind me why Iโ€™m running for Congress. Sometimes those moments come during a casual conversation over hushpuppies and sweet tea.

I was recently traveling the district when my staffer suggested we go back to one of our favorite spots โ€“ Brownie Lu Restaurant in Siler City. It was about 20 miles from where we were, but we decided their delicious broasted chicken was worth the drive and a little extra wait.

There were no open tables when we arrived, so we grabbed a couple of seats at the counter. A minute later, a man sat down next to us. He was an older man, probably in his mid 80s. The waiter behind the counter nodded to the man and told us Jack was a regular customer and dined there every day, sometimes twice a day.

Jack and I struck up a conversation. We got to talking about the restaurant and the 50 years heโ€™s been a loyal customer. And then he changed the subject and asked me why I decided to run for Congress.

I told him about my frustration with representatives in Washington not working together to get things done. He agreed things have gotten bad in DC. He told me heโ€™s followed politics all of his life and even spent a few years in the North Carolina General Assembly back when Terry Sanford was governor in the 1960s.

My ears perked up when he said Terry Sanfordโ€™s name. I told Jack that Sanford is one of my biggest role models. I recounted the story I tell so often on the campaign trail.

Back when I was in middle school, I received an assignment to interview a role model. Many students interviewed a scout leader, one of their parents โ€“ I called Terry Sanfordโ€™s U.S. Senate office and asked if I could talk to the senator. One of my fondest memories is the day I got to sit down with him for that assignment.

I asked Jack if he had any Sanford stories or got to know him well while he was in the legislature. He told me he was very fond of Terry and got to know him best when he ran Sanfordโ€™s campaign for governor back in 1960.

Well, I guess thatโ€™s a little cooler than my middle school paper.

You could call it coincidence, fate, providence. All I know is that there was a reason I ended up at that restaurant that night. The tables were full, only a few seats at the counter. It caused me to strike up conversation with a perfect stranger. But our hopes for the future of this country couldnโ€™t be more intertwined.

Washington today is nothing like it was back when Jack was working in politics. Will we ever get Washington to return to days of civility when compromise is no longer a dirty word? I donโ€™t know. And it certainly wonโ€™t be easy. But Iโ€™m not going to sit on the sidelines any longer while our members of Congress make excuses, call each other names, and point fingers.

Jack said heโ€™s retired from politics. Itโ€™s our turn to carry on the fight. Thank you for standing with me.

Yours,

Clay

Love Clay's story. Makes me happy that I just mailed another check to his campaign. Wish I could do the max but I'll give what I can.

Luckiest, maybe some of us who have too much stuff can sendit up to Canada in exchange for a donation to the NIP, if we are lucky. Would have nothing to do with Clay's campaign.

Thanks Fear, that's nice of you to offer. Let me know if you have anything extra. I just really wish I could participate in some way. I'd love to get in on the cool raffles they are offering.

I just read that story, that was a nice encounter for Clay!

I really like that encounter story too. Sometimes, the stars align...

From CV, a new picture. I don't think anyone knows where it's from though...

image_zps6cd6bd68.jpg

My nephew is getting married tomorrow, so I'll be out for the weekend. I'm back on Sunday, off on Monday during the day -- but then leave for a short vacation and then a work conference. Yes, I'm going to Las Vegas! I've never been there before, so this should be interesting. My husband and I have tickets to the Beatles "Love" Cirque du Soleil for one night, and that should be great!

Just popping in to say thank you for all the good thoughts. It helped a lot knowing people cared. He is no longer suffering or unable to live a normal life and that's what I am choosing to focus on.

I am telling everyone that the saying "Life is short eat dessert first" should be heeded by all! So many things got put off for later, because life got in the way, and unfortunately for him there was no later!

• Like 3

I know what you mean merrieeee. We haven't taken a vacation in 2 years, although I did go to Mane last summer and never regretted it. And we did move into a house that needed a lot of work. But I didn't complain too much when Mr. Fear put in an expensive Japanese garden in our small side yard. It's pretty but I wanted a vegetable garden instead. The veggies are planted in pots and hanging baskets using a tent frame in another yard.

Back from my nephew's wedding -- a lovely time was had by all, even if it rained torrentially a few times over the weekend. Now I've worked on packing for Vegas. Figured out that we're gonna have overweight luggage anyway. The joys of a regional airline -- direct flight (fortunately) but also baggage restrictions out the wazoo!

BqxRlagIIAE_W7j_zps2516cced.jpg

Many thanks to the @CCDemParty today for their hard work at the GOTV and voter registration drive! Great energy! pic.twitter.com/QmXQW3vFMT

If there's other stuff out there, I may not have a chance to find it tonight!

OK, I lied...

Frank B Maness

Follow ยท 57 mins

At Westover Recreation Center.

clay_zpsbe86f271.jpg

Frank took a ton more pictures, and they are linked here: https://www.facebook.com/frank.b.maness/photos

The best of the bunch, IMO:

10390509_4343559282414_279838459737930706_n_zpsf0f4efd6.jpg

• Like 2