Politics'R'US

djs111

This is such a great day! I got up at the crack of dawn to make fresh muffins and coffee so it would be waiting when friends arrived so they could snack while I fixed breakfast. We ate our way through the inauguration- crying.

I feel so hopeful--first time in 8 years.

I've tried to avoid political discussions as I have absoutely no understanding of how it's even possible to vote for a Republican--and today, we all stood, raised our coffee cups, and CHEERED when CNN showed Bush's plane flying out of Washington.

Oh, happy day!

(Plus, I love the pictures of Reed wearing Clay's shirt!!!!)

You'll probably never see me post in here again. LOL. But I managed to stream CNN radio and listen to the swearing in and the first half of Obama's inaugeration speech today, before the boss interrupted me. Hee, imagine wanting me to do work! :P

You'll probably never see me post in here again. LOL. But I managed to stream CNN radio and listen to the swearing in and the first half of Obama's inaugeration speech today, before the boss interrupted me. Hee, imagine wanting me to do work! :P

I think it's downright un-American to make people work during the inauguration.

Oh yeah...........downright un-Canadian!!!

bwah Wandacleo.

My mom was sprung! Yay... So we're just sitting here watching the parade!

So glad to hear that your Mom didn't have to miss this. I can only imagine how exciting it must be for her.

I love watching the Obamas dancing around and looking so happy.

Such beautiful children.

Yes We Can - Barack Obama Music Video

http://au.youtube.com/watch?v=jjXyqcx-mYY

Lyrics

It was a creed written into the founding documents that declared the destiny of a nation.

Yes we can.

It was whispered by slaves and abolitionists as they blazed a trail toward freedom.

Yes we can.

It was sung by immigrants as they struck out from distant shores and pioneers who pushed westward against an unforgiving wilderness.

Yes we can.

It was the call of workers who organized; women who reached for the ballots; a President who chose the moon as our new frontier; and a King who took us to the mountaintop and pointed the way to the Promised Land.

Yes we can to justice and equality.

Yes we can to opportunity and prosperity.

Yes we can heal this nation.

Yes we can repair this world.

Yes we can.

We know the battle ahead will be long, but always remember that no matter what obstacles stand in our way, nothing can stand in the way of the power of millions of voices calling for change.

We have been told we cannot do this by a chorus of cynics...they will only grow louder and more dissonant ........... We've been asked to pause for a reality check. We've been warned against offering the people of this nation false hope.

But in the unlikely story that is America, there has never been anything false about hope.

Now the hopes of the little girl who goes to a crumbling school in Dillon are the same as the dreams of the boy who learns on the streets of LA; we will remember that there is something happening in America; that we are not as divided as our politics suggests; that we are one people; we are one nation; and together, we will begin the next great chapter in the American story with three words that will ring from coast to coast; from sea to shining sea --

Yes. We. Can.

Guest appearances (Refer to video timer)

will.i.am - 0:01

Scarlett Johansson - 0:05

Kareem Abdul-Jabbar - 0:21

Common - 0:23

John Legend - 0:32

Bryan Greenberg (guitar) - 0:37

Kate Walsh - 0:44

Tatyana Ali - 0:44

Harold Perrineau, Jr. - 0:49

Aisha Tyler - 1:01

Samuel Page - 1:03

Enrique Murciano - 1:07 "Si, podemos" - 1:17

Maya Rubin - 1:08 "כן אנו יכולים (Qen Annu Yecholim)" (Hebrew)

Esthero - 1:10

Eric Balfour - 1:23

Nicole Scherzinger - 1:30

Taryn Manning - 1:40

Amber Valletta - 1:52

Auden McCaw (in Valetta's arms) - 1:52

Kelly Hu - 1:52

Adam Rodríguez - 1:56 "Sí se puede"

Eric Christian Olsen - 2:02

Sarah Wright - 2:02

Shoshannah Stern (American Sign Language) - 2:05

Ed Kowalczyk (guitar) - 2:19

Fonzworth Bentley (violin) - 2:38

Amaury Nolasco - 3:24

Hill Harper - 3:27

Nick Cannon - 3:36

Herbie Hancock (piano) - 3:41

Johnathon Schaech - 3:45

Austin Nichols - 3:50

Tracee Ellis Ross - 4:00 << Diana Ross' second daughter.

Fred Goldring (guitar) - 4:03

Anson Mount

Alfonso Ribeiro

Cliff Collins

Vera Farmiga

Well, we had and continue to have huge coverage, the biggest EVER for a US election and inauguration, but then this is an historical world event.

I have friends who set the alarm for 2am, 3am to watch him deliver his speech. I didn't go to bed at all, I stayed up so as to not miss anything as I wanted to watch it LIVE.

That Yes We Can YouTube video was shown on television here, that is how I knew about it. I then went to look for it on YouTube so that I could send it to everyone I know.

I have emailed the TV channel (the main one that has been covering the inauguration) to give them this link

http://au.youtube.com/results?search_type=...+story&aq=f

I am hoping they will broadcast it at some stage. (An OBAMA "Love Story"). Maybe someone new will wonder who owns that glorious voice.

The fact that the new Mr President and his First Lady are so obviously in love is just icing on the cake, I just love their romance! (I nearly said "our" new Mr President...)

Wow, that's really cool to hear. After having been unbelievably embarrassed by our last pres., and hating so much of what he did in the name of the US, it's very nice to know that this one is appreciated that much in Australia. In a sense, he is "your" president too, as what the US President does has such wide ranging influence. I hope he makes others as happy as he is making me right now.

I love this about the new first family: A Portrait of Change: In First Family, a Nation’s Many Faces .

I won't quote the whole thing, but here's a little bit of it.

The president’s elderly stepgrandmother brought him an oxtail fly whisk, a mark of power at home in Kenya. Cousins journeyed from the South Carolina town where the first lady’s great-great-grandfather was born into slavery, while the rabbi in the family came from the synagogue where he had been commemorating Martin Luther King’s Birthday. The president and first lady’s siblings were there, too, of course: his Indonesian-American half-sister, who brought her Chinese-Canadian husband, and her brother, a black man with a white wife.

When President Barack Obama was sworn in on Tuesday, he was surrounded by an extended clan that would have shocked past generations of Americans and instantly redrew the image of a first family for future ones.

For well over two centuries, the United States has been vastly more diverse than its ruling families. Now the Obama family has flipped that around, with a Technicolor cast that looks almost nothing like their overwhelmingly white, overwhelmingly Protestant predecessors in the role. The family that produced Barack and Michelle Obama is black and white and Asian, Christian, Muslim and Jewish. They speak English; Indonesian; French; Cantonese; German; Hebrew; African languages including Swahili, Luo and Igbo; and even a few phrases of Gullah, the Creole dialect of the South Carolina Lowcountry. Very few are wealthy, and some — like Sarah Obama, the stepgrandmother who only recently got electricity and running water in her metal-roofed shack — are quite poor.

“Our family is new in terms of the White House, but I don’t think it’s new in terms of the country,” Maya Soetoro-Ng, the president’s younger half-sister, said last week. “I don’t think the White House has always reflected the textures and flavors of this country.”

Very cool about the coverage and excitement in Australia, claytonic! Thanks for sharing that viewpoint.

Thanks for that link and the bit you posted, jmh. That's great!

I've turned into a news junkie. Wonder how long it will last. LOL.

Media kinda sucks. They are so ridiculous..the Caroline Kennedy story is prime example.

obama's lookalike and his commercial

a different one

cracks me up that the lookalikes are indonesian and cuban.

I wish Saturday Night Live would find someone good... I want to see some good obama political humor as the years go by.

ETA: Whoa! That is a pretty awesome ad. I don't think we would have the guts to print this in the US. :hahaha:

HAHA I sent that newspaper clipping to a number of people, and many, at first, missed the fact that

Goodbye Bush

was a clever VEET advertisement!!

I saw that it was an ad, but I have no idea what Veet is.

Can't you tell me in words--I really hate YouTube, and I can't turn the volume up because my neighbors upstairs are still asleep. OK. I just googled instead. Hair removal product. I figured, given your hint.

Can't you tell me in words--I really hate YouTube, and I can't turn the volume up because my neighbors upstairs are still asleep. OK. I just googled instead. Hair removal product. I figured, given your hint.

OMG if I didn't have YouTube, I'd have to go back to watching television! Honestly, I was glued to the TV for the whole inauguration but after that, I have barely looked at the TV. I was reading in another thread about all the TV programs and even the ones that I knew about, I had never watched! I looked up all the best bits from the inauguration on YouTube and watched those clips again! One of my favorites is little Sasha Obama giving her daddy the thumbs up after his speech!

OMG if I didn't have YouTube, I'd have to go back to watching television! Honestly, I was glued to the TV for the whole inauguration but after that, I have barely looked at the TV. I was reading in another thread about all the TV programs and even the ones that I knew about, I had never watched! I looked up all the best bits from the inauguration on YouTube and watched those clips again! One of my favorites is little Sasha Obama giving her daddy the thumbs up after his speech!

I know, I'm definitely the odd person out in the YouTube craze. The picture is so small, often fuzzy, the sound often crappy. It takes time to load. I do use it when I miss something I feel I must see. TV does suck a lot, so it would be nice to have an alternative. I do sometimes go to network sites where they show episodes of shows I missed and watch those--big picture, good sound. (And I don't have a DVR either. I have a VCR, but I usually don't bother using it.)

Which is, of course, way off the topic of politics. Sorry folks.