#66: "I'm Clay Aiken, and I Approved This Message!"

merrieeee

From Facebook:

Tuesday, August 12at 7:00pm

Next Week

Join the College Democrats of North Carolina for our August State Council Call as we hear from US House Candidate, Clay Aiken, on what students can do this fall to make sure we elect Democrats up and down the ballot!

Agenda:

- Welcome/Introduction

- Guest Speaker - Clay Aiken, US House Candidate - 2nd - Congressional District

- President's Report - Louis Duke

- CDA Convention in Atlanta - Vice President Jocelyn Hunt

- Adjourn

Mary Whitmire

Clay Aiken took this selfie at a campaign fundraiser in my neighborhood. He did a good job speaking and I met some super nice peeps and collected another 20 NC anti fracking signatures. Fun evening!

clay_zps26806fae.jpg

Looks like Clay still also has his tracker...

fayobserver.com

People's Biz: #NC02 candidate Clay Aiken visits twice for military, veteran issues

People's Biz: #NC02 candidate Clay Aiken visits twice for military, veteran issues

Paul Woolverton | Posted: Friday, August 8, 2014 1:33 pm

Second Congressional District Democratic candidate Clay Aiken visited Fayetteville twice this week in his effort to unseat Republican incumbent Renee Ellmers.

On Tuesday, Aiken was one of a bevy of politicians who attended the N.C. Defense and Economic Development Trade Show at Fayetteville Technical Community College.

Although he is not an elected official, Aiken was invited on stage along with organizers, state and federal lawmakers and military members for a ribbon-cutting to ceremonially launch the event.

The vendors were impressive, Aiken said. One from Wilmington, South-Tek Systems intrigued him. It makes equipment for the Army and Marines that extracts nitrogen from the air to be injected into military rifle scopes and night vision goggles. The nitrogen keeps moisture out of the optics.

Aiken said he was surprised to learn from the vendor that the same technology is used in snack-food bags, such as packages of Doritos, to keep oxygen out. Food goes bad more quickly in the presence of oxygen.

And as he moved about the grounds, people frequently stopped the famous pop singer to pose for photos. Meanwhile, a young man with a video camera constantly followed him around. The man was a political tracker, someone hired to video record politicians in effort to capture them saying or doing something embarrassing or politically damaging.

Aiken said he is concerned about reports that the Army reduce will its forces at Fort Bragg. A force reduction would hurt the military’s ability to quickly strike anywhere in the world during a crisis, he said.

“It’s irresponsible to the nation’s readiness,” he said, and also would damage the economy in Fayetteville and the state.

Aiken said Ellmers moved too slowly in Congress in her efforts to halt plans to shut down of the 440th Airlift Wing at Fort Bragg.

In May, Ellmers, along with Democrats David Price and Mike McIntyre and Republican Richard Hudson, had an amendment in the House Armed Services Committee to save the wing. But the committee said they submitted it too late.

On Wednesday, Aiken was back in Fayetteville, this time for a roundtable discussion with a few dozen people of issues important to military communities and veterans.

He met with local elected officials, veterans and military spouses, spokeswoman Tucker Middleton said.

Based on that meeting, Aiken said on Friday, he thinks the federal government needs to provide more impact aid to Cumberland County.

Impact aid is money that Washington gives to local school districts where military family children are enrolled. This is to help pay for the costs of teaching those kids in light of the fact that their families usually pay fewer local school-supporting taxes than the civilian population.

Aiken also called for the federal government to do more to help soldiers who are leaving the military find jobs in the civilian world. And he wants it to work harder to help the homeless veterans in Cumberland County.

bluenc.com

Rectangular Round Table

Rectangular Round Table

Submitted by Nancy Miller Martin on Fri, 08/08/2014 - 8:16pm

Clay Aiken held a round table discussion Wednesday with people who are concerned about what needs to be done for the young soldiers who get out of the military with no skills and no job. Oh, they know how to play war games, but we are talking about in the real world. Many of them have injuries or mental health issues and may not be able to be retrained. Many are homeless. We owe all of them, and everybody at that table knows that. There were two retired generals, two retired colonels, two union members who work at Fort Bragg, several elected officials, business owners, etc. It was an impressive group. Some people had very good ideas on how to train them for new skills when they are discharged. They had our backs for a long time, and now we need to have their's.

This meeting was Clay Aiken's idea and he wanted to know and understand everything that was said. He didn't mind asking questions to make sure he was hearing everything right. The officers are retired, so they were able to ask and answer questions honestly. They agreed that our current Congress member Renee Ellmers, has been absent in this district and they were all aware that she helped shut down the government, but she wanted her pay check. From Clay's past and the interest he has shown since he has been running for office, he will knock himself out trying to help. That's what he does.

A lot of people don't know that Clay does this kind of thing all the time. He wants to KNOW what people need and what we can do to help. At this particular meeting, those that have been with him since near the beginning were very proud, and those that are just getting to know him were very impressed. He just has to be elected, because we need him more than he needs us.

The picture, which I find very sweet:

BukOwetIQAEMK83_zps1dca3a2d.jpg

I also discovered late last night that I missed a few pictures, catching up right now:

Della Gould Jordan

Wow. ..just met Clay Aiken here at work! He's out doing 'meet & greets' here around Fayetteville as he is running for Congress. What a down to earth guy! And he takes a great selfie too!!

clay_zpsf5571bc1.jpg

Carmen Gaddie added 7 new photos to the album CLAY AIKEN — with Mary Valentine Jones.

LOOK WHO HUNG OUT WITH ME THIS AFTERNOON....

One of the pictures is the first one posted here. The rest:

clay5_zpsbca2928a.jpg

clay3_zps714d15e0.jpg

clay2_zpsc896a40c.jpg

clay6_zpsb408192c.jpg

clay7_zps663ce5bc.jpg

clay1_zps4c795729.jpg

Hope Fellowship International added 3 photos to the album Branch of Hope.

Clay Aiken with the Kids at Boys and Girls Club Spring Lake, NC; Summer Feeding Program

clay1_zps3caabada.jpg

clay3_zps393f15b2.jpg

clay2_zps458e260a.jpg

And finally, from Instagram:

Just another Friday at the office...Oh and Clay Aiken stopped by. #clayaiken

#americanidol #runningforcongress #fridayrandom #politics #tgif

clay_zpsc1e49c5c.jpg

And on that note...I'm off to my brother's for the weekend. Family reunion time, and unfortunately, Verizon service sucks there. He does have wifi in their house, though, and I'm taking my iPad. I might be able to do some things, but not as much as if I was at home. Thank you merrieeee for helping me to keep up around here!

• Like 1

New email. This one blows my mind, in a VERY good way:

Amy,

unnamed_zpsa771a9f5.png

It goes without saying that we’re running one of the most exciting and closely watched races of 2014.

Hitting stands today (and online soon), The New Republic magazine details the “serious” and “sincere” race we’re running here in North Carolina’s Second District in the article "Wooing the RepublAiken Vote."

The article praises Clay for being a serious and knowledgable candidate focused on local issues and substantive discussion of policy. The article’s author, Jason Zengerle, writes:

“In fact, it can be hard to shut him up about education policy, a topic he seems to understand better than probably 400 of the 435 people in the House of Representatives.”

And, as the article points out, Clay’s focus on grassroots campaigning and his policy depth sharply contrast Renee Ellmers’ complete tone deafness and her absence on issues important to our district. Zengerle writes:

“[Clay’s] opponent, Renee Ellmers, is not overburdened with raw political talent. Since arriving in Congress in 2010, the former nurse has distinguished herself mostly by sticking her foot in her mouth.”

In just over 6 months, we've built an incredible campaign, and we're continuing to gain support every day on the campaign trail. But we're going to need your help to reach all the voters in our district during these final weeks.

Contribute $50 so we can continue to reach voters across our district...and continue wooing the RepublAiken vote.

Yours,

Tucker

Tucker Middleton

Communications Director

Clay Aiken for North Carolina