#2 - Laissez Les Bons Temps Rouler!

Ansamcw

Well, I swear to you, the people I have been fans of over the years do not have web sites and if I hear of them it is only accidently -

X-seamen - These bunch of off key guys have great love for music and they song so badly, they can always get me to join in singing on the chorus because I know I can't sing any worse. I never missed any of their concerts, must have gone to fifty or so - they were pass your hat concerts, no one in their right mind would pay for tickets for these guys. I would occaisionally run across them in what to do tonight and off I would go. Well, two of them are dead now and the other two have moved on to real music. I do have 3 of their 3 albums. People use to ask, "how can y ou listen to them", but I would just relive how much I loved going to their concerts when I listened and the bad notes did not bother me because I would just sing over their voices.

Oscar Brand - old folksinger with a beau-ti-ful tenor, He is in his late 80's now, still singing, just not holding the notes as long, but he is a great study on how to preserve your voice, he can still hit some glorious notes. Doesn't seem to tour anymore, the tickets were never expensive, he usually shared the stage (that is where I first heard the x-seamen). He is a great showman and still has a weekly 1/2 hour radio show on NPR (over 50 years now) where he sometimes sings with a guest, but usually plays obscure or political music. So many concerts over my life from a teenager until now. If I heard he was playing smewhere (he generally does not leave this region) I would so be there. I have many of his albums, but I have never had the nerve to buy his "white album" where the songs are so bawdy, they can't even list them. I just bought 2 I had not heard before last fall. His latest albums are "I love Cats" and "I love Dogs". I am passing on them.

And then there are people you might have actually know about that I do not have a concert pal, like I do for the above two favorites. I do have an opera pal for the Opera in the park (Metropolitan) every summer. And I have a Jimmy Sturr concert pal (Polka music).

My tastes are not exactly ... uh ... uh ... normal.

And now there is Clay.

I guess I never was a big fan of anyone either...

The people I have multiple CDs of are Sting, Kenny Logins, Tears for fears, Depech Mode, Beatles and now coldplay, switchfoot, and Clay...but then I have dls of a lot of artists...I have about 2500 songs on my ipod...from broadway to alt rock. I also have a lot of old classics...and I don't know anything about any of the artists and bands. I don't even know the names of the guys on switchfoot. So clay is really an anomaly to me.

I explained it to my kids that the interest is still so strong because I was there when he came on the scene. I watched him grow as a performer...then got to know him as a person, not just his music. Now its like its a book or story that I am observing. I have to know what happens next. Because his voice really soothes me I also want to hear every product he will take out.

I think this will be a one time thing...I am liking some people in AI5...Chris, Katherine and Mandisa...but I haven't been interested enough to read about them. Its still all about Clay.

I want that CD !!! :(:(

Well, there you go, Ansa, It is like we were there when a star was born. I have been buying everything, some of it as an investment - and I could sell some of it for quite a profit right now - Who else has the valentine's mug? Just me? I think a bunch of them were sent out broken. But that is the mercenary side of me discussing this. I guess part of it is being there when instead of hopping on board with everyone else - Did I tell you I had a chance to get a Beatles album before they came to America? A school friend had just gotten back from England and told me - they were going to be BIG? and I did not buy one of the extra albums she had from her, Just said - "I want to hold your hand"? sounds like junior high.. bang, bang, bang <- that sound is me hitting my head on my desk.

I got in early on one emerging star, but then he went into drugs and disappeared off the face of the earth - A fantastic tenor - Hmm, a tenor pattern? I know that won't happen with Clay.

I don't buy tha tthe fans made Clay's career - they have been a hinderance as much as a help, but they did give him some nice press along with the crap. It has been nice to see it develop. My major issue is with people who want Clay to have everything right away. If any other idol gets anything, they want it for Clay. I bet there are people Claiming that Clay should have a country music award, because Carrie has one. patience is a virtue and Clay is developing his career his way. I think he wants to be a performer more than a singer, hencethe tours over the albums.

You are so right Play...

This is not a sprint...its a marathon...more so its a journey...cos in a Marathon there is jsut one winner, and I really don;t think Clay is in competition with anyone but himself now.

I really don't think this cd is a make or break thing. It is important in keepign forward momentum for him...but if its not the artistic triumph some people want it to be...then there is other chances to find that.

I really get exasperated with fans that compare Clay to artists like Paul McCartney...or Bono...or Elton John...when it comes to artistic growth. These people are being judged by the body of work they have accumulated. The public was not privy or may have forgotten their early efforts...these legends didn;t just burst into the scene with all the acclaims and success all at once. Why are we expecting that from Clay?

I am a firm believer that Clay will get the awards and will be a well respected artist...but that will take lots of years ....and along the way, you will get a lot of crap. It won't be easy. If it comes easy...it does not last long usually.

I sometimes wonder if the intensity of the online Clay fandom was driven, or at least facilitated, by the sheer volume of material that was available to it. Clay was on our TVs at least twice a week for 4 months, segued almost immediately into the AI tour, released a CD, toured some more, wrote a book, did a Christmas CD and special, blogged from time to time, made the occasional television appearance, and toured yet some more. He has provided such a quantity of content, it has been very easy to stay interested and engaged in the fandom. At least for me, the ramping down of activity to what is really a more realistic level for a singer is what is probably driving the anxiety level - it's not nothing, it's just much less than we are used to getting.

Bingo, Bottlecap!

The ease of Clack is driving the fandom and the continuing interest, but also the anxiety - except - if you go to a Ruben site, there is talk of him having to rerecord his whole album because Clive didn't like it and why is there not a single out there, when will this album impact - I swear - I would thing some of our "local gurus" are runningthings there as well, it seems like carbon copy statements, just a lot fewere of them. But then again we could probably credit it to the people who follow the Clay boards in their Ruben fandom.

Truthfully, there is probably more up to date any idol information on a Clay board than any other idol since Clay fans are so active every day.

Eep, I was curious, so I thought I would reserach the start of the "great struggle" and where it came from. What a surprise, it came from a throwaway remark by Ressamac which was quickly pciked up and spun by?? Anybody - Momo on February 11th. in the previous thread. I was just curious. Wish I looked it up earlier, it might have swayed the masses.

Just popping in for two things (going to visit my Mom today)...

1) Happy birthday diamondjake2001! May you have a great day!

2) bottlecap, you are so right on the money with your posts. I know I love you...and all of you here at FCA!

oh great we can use this...

:00003653:

Diamondjake

WORD to Bottlecap...really the amount of info that has been available to us is unprecedented IMO. I think that is why TC may not be in any hurry to provide info to fans...to keep them abreast because they never used to do that.

I know now with the internet more artist are using blogs and the internet to market their product but its not the norm yet. So we really have been very spoiled. I think we should be used to getting this level of info cos I doubt it will go back to the way it was after AI.

Even for Clack...I doubt they would be able to be as lenient as before. the material will be from the new CD...and RCA would want to protect their interest IMO.

Yeah, it all comes down the power of the internet, doesn't it? Instanteous mass communication, almost unlimited research resources, and the ability to spout off your grassy knoll theories to hundreds of avid readers, instead of just bugging your co-worker over the top of your cubicle. It's like palying a giant game of "Telephone" on an international basis. <_<

Ansa, I am still pondering your Top 6 and Top 3 AI5 finishers question. I know who I'd like to see finish at the top, based on current performances, but it's hard to know whose going to be consistently good (Chris, Mandisa, Elliot), whose going to start to falter (Ace, Katherine), and whose personality is going to start to bug (Paris, Taylor, Kellie). YMMV, of course.

I'm also interested to see which contestants are going to get the most benefit from having access to the hair and clothes help. I giggled over this comment from Dean in an MTV.com article:

Really, though, the most excited person at Thursday's party was probably Dean Banowetz, the "Idol" hairdresser.

"I can't wait to get my hands on these guys," he said. "They all have 'Dumb and Dumber' bangs. It's driving me crazy! Taylor, I want to give a cut and color, and I'm still trying to figure out what to do with Bucky."

Might I suggest a good flea dip and some scouring pads?

:00000430: HAPPY BIRTHDAY DIAMONDJAKE2001! :00000430:

Edited by bottlecap

Man, I am getting really desperate for some mainstream Clay mentions. Clay does make an cameo appearance in a slideshow attached to an article about the success of American Idol on Forbes.com, titled "Idol by the Numbers". If you click the blue text in the body of the article that says "Click here for more American Idol numbers", the slideshow will open and play. Clay's picture (from GMA this summer) is about the 8th one in, and the text reads: "Combined album sales from Idol finalists--including talents Clay Aiken's Merry Christmas with Love and Diana DeGarmo's Blue Skies--and Idol winners total 18.2 million. Another 4.1 million singles and 2.4 million cast albums have been sold as well."

It's not much, but at least it's something.

Well, it sounds like, from the article at EW, that Kathrine wants extensions and Taylor wants a good makeup job. Kevin will go with contacts and better hair and Kellie wants to play with her hair.

I think the following should happen wint AI5 contestants

Elliot - you should have gotten your own teeth fixed before this show, it is a voting contest, you know - but Elliot will shave and get his teeth fixed.

KATHARINE McPHEE - hair and make up and stying - probably a personailty transplant

TAYLOR HICKS good hair cut and styking - eventually toned down actions

KELLIE PICKLER hair, make up , stying and more featured stories

LISA TUCKER hair make up stying - hair cut

ACE YOUNG Get rid of the beanie, stying clothes - more confidence (Yes, I do think he has been acting a bit, the man has been around the block. Hair cut and less clothes (yes, he will sing with a bare chest.

PARIS BENNETT better hair and make up and hopefully better advice on music - take asdvice or go home, Paris

MANDISA more flattering clothes

BUCKY COVINGTON Hair cut and better clothes

CHRIS DAUGHTRY grow in hair, learn how to maintain a voice other wise will fade about half way.

Interesting that there will be so many guests on results shows, I guess it keeps the shows longer (Fox ratings issue) and gives a break to the contestants - this also holds the topic of guest judges at bay. So they have

Barry Maniliow coming back and Rod Stwart - Hmm, if their albums are themes, we should expect some old songs to be played. I wondeer if they will let people ouyt of their boxes, the ones the judges seem so intent on keeping them in.

Got an unexpected opportunity to have the living room tv all to myself tonight so I watched AI2's final 12 and the results show...I'd forgotten that Clay got the first standing 'O' (God knows I've lost count of the 'O's' he's caused by now... B) )...for his "I Can't Help Myself" (God knows I've lost count of the times he's made me say that by now.. B) )...and of course, I had to watch for those magic fingers during the "Girl, you call my name..." (God knows I've lost count of the ways I've imagined him using those magic fingers by now. B) )...

And I also noticed how he stifled himself from saying something to Slimon when the loser Brit told him it sounded like "Motown the Musical" ====which, of course, turned out to be Simon's first taste of crow...even though at the time he didn't know it. heh.

I also noticed how effusive his reactions were to all the "You're safe!" announcements for most of the contestants...his applause was more...er...reserved?...for Corey and Trenyce...

wonder why? :rolleyes:

and playbiller So which show do you think will be the one to have Ace wearing a shirt that shows some chest hair? You know it's coming.... <_<

For those watching AI5...I posted a little AI prediction competition here:

prediction competition

so put in your predictions of the top 12...

well Ace should show chest hair anytime he plans to use his falsettos

that boy better choose songs that won;t show how weak his voice is...or else he will be out of there early.

Remember how last year people thought COnnie was the chosen one...

BTW did you all check out the new high school video of Clay...

leesville SOT duet

I have that Leesville SOT in my hard drive - does anyone know where it came from - and don't say "procjoiner" because that is not a valid answer - I have had this since October last year.

Maybe it was secretly shared? I can't find it in the vault,

Oh and the upload 2 is an interesting site -with gallaries, etc. And searchable files.

Edited by playbiller

I was poking around the Clique store last night, and was pleased to see so much of the stuff showing as sold out. I like to think all our purchases are helping pay for some of the finishing touches on Aiken Acres, or maybe a fancy new collar for Raleigh. :P I also have a vague dream that Clique might get kicked to the curb in place of a more competent company. I'm sure that little hope will go up in smoke, though.

Well, I getting ready for another week of haunting the MTV and Billboard sites, hoping to come across a whisper of news on the CD. <_<

I was wondering how fast Clique would sell out once we could afford to buy things, heh.

NE Way - You know how you are always thinking of new projects around here - As I was looking through my Clack again (always finding odd pieces no one else seems to have) I wondered if we could have a clack directory - what people have and where sites support it. Think that is useful?

Wow, you guys are having quite a night over at the Clack House, aren't you? New "old" Clack, complete with slo-mos and smut, and some very encouraging whispers about the sound of the new CD. Just can't wait for Clay to come bustin' out all over! Awhooo Hooo and a :dancingbanana: (And you can take that a smut if you want to, although I would never intend it that way, because I'm all :13: , and :15: , and :11: )

Back from the depths of virus hell. Well almost. my computer...not me.

I got my Clique stuff.... finally bought a jukebox tshirt. It's cute..don't know why I found them all so ugly at the time. I may go back for more!

Waves to Muskifest. I'm so glad you're here... we need to go have beer! LOL.

I can't believe I'm looking forward to going to work tomorrow. got a nice shiney new remodeled office. It finally feels like mine.

Clay.... I kinda miss him. A lot. Of all things, I watched the tree lighting in Rockefeller Center today and him singing MDYK on The View. It was on an unlabeled tape. when I cleaned my room I got rid of a lot of stuff including my season 2 AI tapes. I have them on disk. Why do I need the videos too. But I like having Clay's TV appearances on tape because I like to see the whole thing in context, not just Clay's snippets. Well unless it's the Billboard awards or something -- not watching that crap again, not even for Clay! I'm rambling... I need to do something during Meredith's parts of Grey's Anatomy!

We are getting deluged with rain right now locally. I am hoping this is a precursor to the inevitable downpour of news and Clack that has to start falling sometime soon. Those clouds are looking big and heavy, with loads of pent-up content, and these drought conditions will be alleviated before we know it. Can you hear the rumble of thunder in the distance?

Edited by bottlecap

Just dropping in to say hi and catch up on the thread. Sure glad I did. I was wondering about that over 18 thing I was getting at YouTube last week. And it was for something majorly benign, so I was really confused.

Reminded me of when I saw that the Singapore MOAM had a parental advisory. I never did get that either.

I did sit and giggle last night at the CH, since I like it when the fun comes out and people start to play. One of these days maybe I'll learn how to smut too, but so far it ain't happening. Well, not at the CH anyway.

I've been watching AI the easy way -- wait for downloads and skipping the rest. Yay for no commercials! And the best of all? No friggin' theme song! I've come to hate hate hate that thing. I go into automatic recoil when I hear it. Now that there is a Top 12, I may surrender, tape it and FF through all that other mess. Mess is defined as anything being shown where someone is not actually singing. I figure I can watch an episode in about 15 minutes.

I do like Chris. I think he's the best guy they've got. But read about him? Nah, don't have that much interest. I only seem to want to do that for Clay.

This past summer I had five people I had never even laid eyes on staying at my house for the JBT (Wolf Trap.) If someone had told me a few years ago I'd be opening up my home and filling all my beds and sofas for three days with folks I'd met on the internet, I would have pronounced them insane. No, I can't imagine this type of phenomenon happening to me again.

I have nothing of merit to say...but I couldn't stand that there were no posts since Strummer's yesterday afternoon! So since I'm not in the writing mood (as in writing my story chapters) and I've had a glass...make that a cup---a mug, actually..a "THUD!" mug... :00000441: of cabernet...

I thought I'd just mosey on in and drop an important truth into your...uh...laps.

NOT.A.FOLD.

That is all. Good night. :704:

Heck, even his long tie couldn't hide that thing. :kra:

Especially when it took on a life of its own and started covering some real estate.

I love CLay. He's so.....

good to us. :)

Hey, Couchie! We gotta start planning that CD release party! :00000441: and make sure we get primo seats for the West Coast Clay Invasion!

Okay...I'll leave you all alone now. I can take a hint. <_<

(However, it does occur to me that it's somewhat 'Sybil' of you guys to have so many emoticons of angels and drinkers---)

what does that MEAN? :(:blink:

And what does it say behind these balloons?

:ballon:

Is there NO one to answer my plea?

Anybody?

Bueller? :unsure:

Edited by muskifest