American Idol 6

Ansamcw

I was just goign to say that was the perfect song choice for her and Randy had to say it...

I really enjoyed her performance....the only problem I had was she was losing power at some parts...but I really liked her.

I only wish she didn;t more around so much...but I think she should stay one more week with that.

I agree Ansa. I liked Hayley's performance tonight. I was just waiting for her to trip down the stairs though!

I say this every week. There is something about her I like. I thought Lulu had a good point. Everyone talks about the big voices, but there is a place for her style too.

Chris R. - He is always a bit pitchy to my ear and tonight is no exception. I like this song but this is dragging for me. He seems to have a very limited range. He just does nothing for me.

Snoozefest for me.

Randy thought it was great? He thought every note was in tune? And Paula liked it? And Simon liked it?

What is wrong with my ears???

Edited by Claygasm

I agree playbiller...

okay Chris R...I just hate the nasally quality of his voice...but he is doing a good job of at least staying on tune. I also think he totally understood the song and did a good job on it...just hate that type of voice but if others like it...then he is staying. That is how to make an old song current...beautiful arrangement.

yup...I agree with the judges...shoot Simon was saying what I was typing...

Oh its so good that he decided to sing it straight...good thing he listened to Noone...

Now eitther Haley does not havemuch of a voice or Chris had the band quiet down because, unfortunately, I heard every word - he was at his best, but that is not saying much. I just don't like his voice, it seems very week, or maybe I should not be typing, having just woken from a nap I should not have taken -you know, you are a lot moreirratable first thing in the morning or after a nap.

I agree Ansa. I liked Hayley's performance tonight. I was just waiting for her to trip down the stairs though!

I say this every week. There is something about her I like. I thought Lulu had a good point. Everyone talks about the big voices, but there is a place for her style too.

Chris R. - He is always a bit pitchy to my ear and tonight is no exception. I like this song but this is dragging for me. He seems to have a very limited range. He just does nothing for me.

Snoozefest for me.

Randy thought it was great? He thought every note was in tune? And Paula liked it? And Simon liked it?

What is wrong with my ears???

I don;t know but I think because of the nasally quality in his voice...it can seem like he is going sharp...but he really did stay mostly in tune.

I don't mind these types of arrangements cos the melody was beautiful and he respected that...I too don;t know that song but I want to find a download for it...It would be beutiful to hear a good singer sing that...like Clay.

OMG...I loved this song as a kid...I used to sing it really loud with the radio...hee memories...

she is not starting this out good...she seems to get dragged by it...she is pitchy for the first time...

Why is she having a hard time with song??? just not good at all.

oops randy agreed

Chris R was acceptable -

Now Stephanie - she is no shirley Bassie - there should have been more power - unless she is trying for her own version - she just didn't have enough umph - Chris R had no umph and Haley was barely audable - now since I have heard Clay sing through my TV, it is not my TV!

I don't mind these types of arrangements cos the melody was beautiful and he respected that...I too don;t know that song but I want to find a download for it...It would be beautiful to hear a good singer sing that...like Clay.

How old am I? I remember every song so far. Even know the words - or most of them. Now, I was still in elementary school or junior high for most of these, but still.

I am older than dirt!

This is my favorite era in music - the 60's. Maybe its because I was just growing up and getting into music. Maybe because I fell in love with George Harrison. Maybe because it was just a great era. Songs like these, the Beatles, Motown was born, even the Stones and the folk music and the protest songs, the psychedelic music like Jefferson Airplane. It was such a diverse era in music. You just don't get that anymore it seems.

But back to today.....

Stephanie - wasn't impressed with her tonight. Its a great song and it just seemed kind of lifeless to me.

Chris R was acceptable -

Now Stephanie - she is no shirley Bassie - there should have been more power - unless she is trying for her own version - she just didn't have enough umph - Chris R had no umph and Haley was barely audable - now since I have heard Clay sing through my TV, it is not my TV!

see I think thats the problem...I didn;t know who sang it when I was a kid but now you mentioned shirley bassie I do remember a really powerful voice that lifted that song and made it ring out...thats what I miss from her version.

Oh I love the sixties too...this is the time I was first aware of music...

I remember Herman;s Hermit and those movies with the British cute boys...

oh Gosh...Blakes voice is not up to that...yuck

Oh this is another one I remember...

yikes his upper register is very bad...this is very boring...

his low register is not strong enough...

the beat boxing is not really intrusive...but the vocals are really weak...

Who knew that song had range? His voice was ok on the low notes - but he couldn't hit the high notes.. The beat box was limited to itty bits at the beginning and end - but no way was that a strong performance and I am starting to see a parallel with him and Taylor - those moves are the same each weeek no matter what he sings - too much posing - well he is a bit of a poser.

Stephanie's song was originally done by Dusty Springfield.

http://www.songfacts.com/detail.php?id=2578

Blake - this sounds so much like the original but not as strong as voice. Is he leering into the camera? Rather creepy.

See I thought it was ok, but not quite as wonderful as they seem to think it was!

Not sure how he made it current. To me it sounded almost EXACTLY like the original.

But it must be me again, because I thought it sounded so much like the original I can't imagine how it was so contemporary.

Again, better than last week - but that wasn't saying much!

Stephanie's song was originally done by Dusty Springfield.

http://www.songfacts.com/detail.php?id=2578

Blake - this sounds so much like the original but not as strong as voice. Is he leering into the camera? Rather creepy.

See I thought it was ok, but not quite as wonderful as they seem to think it was!

Not sure how he made it current. To me it sounded almost EXACTLY like the original.

But it must be me again, because I thought it sounded so much like the original I can't imagine how it was so contemporary.

Again, better than last week - but that wasn't saying much!

I think he did add some beatboxing...But really a lot of sixties songs could be very current cos I remember a very cool arrangements..

See I just remember these songs but don't know who sang them...

I do think the judges want Blake to do well in the competition so they are more apt to be positive.

Sorry, Dusty Springfield - I think my mind was poisoned by reading the predicted song list.

Geez - Lakisha is doing a kareoke version - she is even taking the accent -it is a complete take off of the original song!

PS, CLaygasm - I will match your older than dirt and raise you a layer of Clay, hee

Edited by playbiller

I think she is doing a great job on this song...

she certainly is doing Shirley Bassie justice...my problem is her performance seem lacking in fire...like she was not convinced that this is the song for her...

I wonder how the judges will react...

I agree with Randy...she was lacking in fire.

LaKisha - Ok, this song reminds me of going to a drive-in with my parents when we lived in Kalamazoo, Michigan to see this movie. I was in my jammies and fell asleep.

Now to her singing - She's just mad talented but its not the best song. I think the other song might have been better. But even not as wonderful as she has been, she's amazing.

But I wasn't in love with the song choice.

Hee that was good answer by Lakisha...

yeah good answer Randy...she did do such a karaoke version and yeah it would be good to see how she can play with it.

ok not familiar with this song...