American Idol

ShelleyC

I don't know, I'm kinda changing my mind here. Not that my votes would ever go through, but Katharine winning might seriously piss off the annoying fanbase of a certain shorter, less pretty prior winner. That would just be a bonus....

:bier: to Couchie and her fond memories of the TBE.

I don't know, I'm kinda changing my mind here.  Not that my votes would ever go through, but Katharine winning might seriously piss off the annoying fanbase of a certain shorter, less pretty prior winner.  That would just be a bonus....

:bier: to Couchie and her fond memories of the TBE.

Hee..trying to figure out who this past winner would be since it fits Carrie and Kelly...or even Fantasia...but I don;t think they would be competeing for the same fanbase cos they have different styles. Oh the same thing with Carrie since she is country...

so could you mean the annoying fans of Kelly? has there been reactions from them? I would think she would be more a problem for them than Carrie.

WOW...that would be a good reason to vote Kat in...hee.

Dang.

I was feeling all enlightened and such, having been touched by all the don't hate Kat becoss she is pretty posts. I had already stated that I would vote for her.

But the thought of upsetting the TBE as a bonus is making me grin.

And everyone gets a record deal anyway, it looks like.

Been a looooong time since I voted; good practice for MTV this summer, I guess!!!

Ah, the wickedness that are Clay fans...

I love it.

But not enough to vote

Even to royally piss off TBE.

I know...I do like Kat more than Taylor. I don't know if she actually deserves to win more than Taylor...

but I don't think I would care enough to vote even if I live in the US...just too lazy I guess...

but have fun voting...

I have no idea how connected this Access Hollywood columnist actually is (Especially considering her factual error at the end of the paragraph about the timing of Kelly Clarkson's management change - that took place after Breakaway was released), but anyway:

Just know that being on "American Idol" can definitely change people.  Imagine you are just a regular person living your life and all of a sudden you are plucked out of obscurity and having people dressing you up, doing your hair and makeup and millions of people adoring you. That type of experience can change anyone.  I've seen it happen every single season. We interview the Top 12 idol hopefuls and by the end of the season, most of them come out completely different people. So, it doesn't surprise me to hear that the writers of the song, which both idols will perform on the finale, (the one that gets recorded as a single) quit. A source tells me that they felt that Taylor's ego had gotten out of control and he was too difficult to handle.  In his defense, Taylor is clearly a bit eccentric. So, maybe he was just misunderstood.  Or maybe he was just standing up for what he believes in. Let's consider that these singers are sometimes forced to produce a record in a style that doesn't suit them.  Was "Inside Your Heaven" really true to what Carrie Underwood is?  Listen to the difference between that song and "Jesus, Take the Wheel" and I think you will see what I mean. Don't forget that Kelly Clarkson sued to get out of her "Idol" contract so she could record a sophomore album that was more to what she wanted it to be. Two Grammys later, I'd say that was a smart bet.

BWAH! You go Taylor, you freakin' nut-job. Don't let them make you record any of that crappy "Moment/ Wings/ Night/ Believe/ Dream/ Heaven" victory song tripe. :P

Of course, huge salt lick, and all.

Yup...good for Taylor. He will really need that ego and standing up for himself to keep true to his sound. I hear some people saying Clive may want to make him the Next Micheal McDonald...and I don't see that as Taylor's sound at all.

Well...hopefully we get some better material for the finale then. I wonder if they will do it like AI2...have different finale songs for the finalists.

This recap of last week's show from Blogcritics veers all over the place, but the opening paragraphs made me snort.

I was reading the Idol message boards this week (yes, I confess I read them) and I learned the following about Katharine McPhee:

She helped plan 9/11, but she won't accept criticism about it.

She kicks puppies and makes fun of disabled people.

Her mother should have been turned into social services years ago.

She stalled on home run 713, because she's off the juice now. The steroid rage has left her arrogant, you can see it in her face.

"Somewhere Over the Rainbow" wasn't sung nearly as well as William Hung. This is according to someone who was a professional singer, has 37 gold records, and now just likes to hang out on Reality TV message boards though someone from his entourage does the actual typing hence the ISP from Henrietta, Oklahoma.

No one said that in just those words, but she must have done all those things to provoke that kind of hate.

By contrast, I learned that Elliott Yamin had not practiced between appearances on the show because he insisted on doing diabetes charity work while also helping his invalid mother. The fact that Elliott sings at all is really quite amazing because for the first fifteen years of his life he was completely deaf and the family was too poor to afford even a radio. After being exposed to the music of Al Green while riding a city bus, Elliott worked three jobs at age fourteen to buy a used CD. He started singing the week before the audition. On one Idol charity visit, Elliott met a leukemia patient and the boy went into remission minutes later. Elliott then became the first Idol contestant to be nominated for the Nobel Peace Prize and is also an object of veneration for the Falun Gong.

Equally fascinating, one finds out almost nothing personal about Taylor Hicks other than hundreds of posts about the "Soul Patrol" and how Simon must hate him. Beyond that, Taylor apparently didn't have a childhood, doesn't have a wife or girlfriend, or has no friends who want to dish about him. The only reason I knew he had ribs for breakfast one day is because Ryan told me so.

I must admit watching the entrenched fan bases duke it out on TWoP has provided some amusing moments this season. When you don't have a dog in the fight, so to speak, all the ranting and raving can make you shake your head and go "WTF? How can you be passionate about any of those losers?" It's kind of fun to be on the other side of that for a change. ;)

Actually I am having fun in the discussion too. Even if I do like Kat...I really am not invested in her winning. SO I am amused by all the board discussin and have fully participated in discussions on why Kat seem to generate such vitriol. I think if I cared more I would jsut be calling people names...hee. Nah, I wasn;t even like that during AI2.

This finale will be boring actually...they will be singing 2 songs they've sung before. I bet Kat is choosing, Black Horse and Cherry Tree and SOTR...oh no that means she will be on the floor most of the night... -_-

I predict taylor will choose something...and maybe an Elvis song...

will they sing the same finale song and how bad will it be!!!

hey what do y'all thins it the best coronation song used in AI? Hard to choose since they are all super cheesy...

Predictions, predictions, predictions -

puts on thinking cap, drags out crystal ball, shuffles and deals tarot cards and holds a small informal seance

In the year 2006:

The final 2 will be remembered for

1) people yawning from hearing the same songs over and over

2) Kat will be remembered for singing a "coronation" song that had to do with a male erection or rising something - it will be fairly atonal and sound like something Dougherty would have sung should he have made it to the finals.

3) for the second time in AI history the 2 contestants will sing different songs

4) People will finally come to the realization that, like star trek, only even number series are worth watching.

The 2 hour finale will be remembered because

1) it is only the second 2 hour finale in any series

2) It will mostly rely in non-AI contestants to provide much of the music/buzz

3) it will be known as the show that learned it could make a buck from the red carpet interviews, by allowing the stars to purchase time to do promos of their new projects.

Edited by playbiller

Well, like last year, I will be watching the season finale of Lost on Wednesday and flipping over to AI during the commercials and for the final announcement.

I will be watching Tuesday performance show closely though, to see who has to deal with the traditional technical lighting / sound / missed cue issues that the second place finisher gets saddled with. [ :ph34r: Clay - the funky lighting on his second song that made him look like he was sitting in the dark with a flashlight under his chin. :00000462: Diana - hit a dead spot in the stage and couldn't hear the music. :kotz0: Bo - had to come tearing out onto the stage for the beginning of one of his songs (possibly because he was backstage puking up his guts with what he thought was food posioning, but was probably caused by the intestinal problem that didn't get diagnosed until later.)]

If the catwalk collapses under Taylor, or Kat comes out on stage with her skirt tucked onto her underwear, that'll be the sign of who's supposed to finish second... :P

If the catwalk collapses under Taylor, or Kat comes out on stage with her skirt tucked onto her underwear, that'll be the sign of who's supposed to finish second... :P

hmm wouldn't both scenario have the same outcome? :D

A quote from Ken Warwick (a producer) in this MTV.com article about American Idol made me laugh and laugh. :lol:

"We never, ever, would try to manipulate something so it looked worse than it was."

Thanks, Ken. I needed a good giggle.

This was also amusing to me.

Contrary to Ryan Seacrest's comments about what's in the judges' Coke glasses, no alcohol is permitted in the studio where "Idol" is filmed (which remains a CBS, not a Fox, studio).

I guess that means I should find another emoticon to represent Paula. Maybe this :schwirr: instead of this :all_coholic: .

Dammitt. Rumors have started that Clay will be on the finale. Yes, for the possibility of a glimpse of Clay I will sit through the horror that will be the last three hours of Idol.

Man, Clay has me by the ovaries!

Beep, beep, beep.

That's the sound of the the semi-trailer full of salt that I currently have backing up to the Clay on AI rumor. Since the original source seems to be PH, (and we have some idea of what the column's "inside sources" are), I ain't anywhere close to believing the story in its current form. I'd be happy to be proven wrong, though. I just need to hear it from a legitimate source.

Besides, don't you want to spend every last minute you can basking in the twitching, hooting hotness that is Taylor? B)

Lucky for the west coast people...they can wait on east coast peeps to tell them if there is any truth to the rumor.

The thing is...Nigel has been saying that there will be surprise guests...so unless the OFC posts that he WILL NOT be on...then people's hope will remain alive until the telecast is over. At this time OFC knows about it and is treating this as a rumor pending confirmation so we just have to wait...

sigh...all this salt is not good for my BP!!!!

Knowing the numbers of viewers Clay's appearance might be expected to bring in, I have my doubts that TPTB at AI would keep a guest spot by him under wraps.

Also, Clay himself has to know how desperate his fans are to see him again. IMO, I think he would give us some notice in a reliable way. YMMV, of course. I've felt like I've had too many disappointments already this year relying on non-official sources (Album drops dates, calender, etc.) to get my hopes up very high for this gig.

:ph34r:

Bottlecap, why do you think the info about Clay on AI Wed. is from PH?????

I read on a couple of the boards that 2 radio shows made the announcement.

Well because ph news has been picked up by several news source on google and usually these radio stations just get news from gossip columnist. I do believe there has been an attempt to try and see if Bill and Sheri's source is independent of the PH mention. If there is a more reliable source out there, we still haven't heard about it. Hope the OFC clarifies this before Wednesday night :glare:

Well...I called it. According to Good Day LA Kat is singing SOTR and Black Horse and Cherry tree...of course not hard to guess cos those are two of her best perfromances and shows the type of music she could be doing in the future. Just hope she opts to sit on a stool for one of them or she will be on the floor most of the night.

Yeap, I was basing my opinion on this morning's google results, since you can see the Clay mentions without having to actually open any articles. Another highly gnatty source quoted PH on the AI rumor. I don't go to the PH site myself, and I don't follow the goings-on much elsewhere in any detailed way, so I should have clarified my comments. My speculation is only based on reading between the lines, and the radio stations may actually have another source. So, feel free to salt me too! :POP:

Loved Kat's Black Horse and the Cherry Tree performance, so that's good. I think I may have mentioned my dislike of Rainbow once or twice, so I may employee the mute button there. Any Taylor song leaks?

I don;t know if this is a true leak or just wishful thinking from the Taylor fans but the one song that is being bandied about is Georgia on my Mind. Well if they are supposed to reprise two songs...then I doubt this...but maybe its like AI3 where Fantaisia had one old and one new song and the coronation song...while Diana had two retreads.

Well, ET Online is now reporting Clay will be on Wednesday:

May 22, 2006

The moment of truth is almost at hand. On Tuesday night, KATHARINE McPHEE and TAYLOR HICKS will compete -- each singing three songs -- in the last round of performances to determine who will be the next "American Idol" -- and CLAY AIKEN and CARRIE UNDERWOOD will be on hand for the crowning moment!

If this turns out to be true, I offer my most humble apologies for doubting....

Well, ET Online is now reporting Clay will be on Wednesday:

May 22, 2006

The moment of truth is almost at hand. On Tuesday night, KATHARINE McPHEE and TAYLOR HICKS will compete -- each singing three songs -- in the last round of performances to determine who will be the next "American Idol" -- and CLAY AIKEN and CARRIE UNDERWOOD will be on hand for the crowning moment!

If this turns out to be true, I offer my most humble apologies for doubting....

OK I doubt ET will need to use PH as a source. This is starting to look like its true...

I will still try to keep from gettng too excited...

Per various sources, from Reality Blurred

On tomorrow night’s American Idol 5 final performance episode, Katharine McPhee will perform first and Taylor will follow. He “won the coin toss and elected to go second. Kat and Taylor will each perform three songs at the Kodak Theater on Tuesday,” according to phillyBurbs.com.

Their new songs are rumored to be “Make it Happen” and “Through it All,” MJ’s Big Blog reports, although it’s not clear who is singing what. Producer Nigel Lythgoe confirmed on the TV Guide Channel, however, that they will each perform different songs, a change from past years where both finalists were forced to sing the same crappy song.

On Wednesday, each finalist will perform a duet: Katharine with Meat Loaf (really), according to Us Weekly, while Taylor’s duet partner is not yet known. The third- and fourth-place performers will also perform duets, perhaps as part of one big production number; Elliott Yamin is paired with Mary J. Blige, while Chris Daughtry will perform with Live.

Clearly, those aren’t enough guest appearances to pad two hours on Wednesday night, so Daniel Powter will also appear. He’ll officially ruin his formerly hip song by performing it live, the eight millionth time it will have been played this season. American Idol 4 winner Carrie Underwood will also show up to perform her new single.

And MJ rounds up other rumors, including the possibility that both Clay Aiken and Bo Bice will appear to perform.