#31: The Very Handsome Sir Clay of Aiken

ldyjocelyn

FCA Thread Title Poll  

38 members have voted

1. 1. What should be the next thread title at FCA?

• The man with the titanium balls - and the voice to back them up!
    • OMG, chills chills chills chills chills chills chills chills chills chills chills chills
    • They are seeing what WE see ? a brilliant, intelligent, and genuinely funny and lovely man.
    • Clay Aiken, I love your mad talented, tender-hearted, freakin' Broadway star, soul!
    • I'm totally jonesing for Clay Aiken's voice right now. God! I need to be sedated.
    • I could listen to that Raleigh son rattle on all day long. He makes me smile.
    • The whole damn thing was perfect!

Review from Newsday.Com

Glenn Gamboa | DROPS

May 6, 2008

Clay Aiken has always seemed like the most bewildered of the " American Idol" graduates - his insta-fame cut with a bit of what-just-happened? caution, his music a hit-or-miss split between what he wants and what he's supposed to want. Five years later, on his second full album of originals, "On My Way Here" (RCA/19), Aiken is starting to figure it out.

He is at his best when he wraps his big voice around big ballads, usually ones with big messages attached. He maximizes the drama on "As Long as We're Here" to poignant effect, with booming phrases that would make Celine Dion proud, followed by vulnerable questioning that emo leading men would secretly admire. He undersells "Something About Us" like it was a classic Johnny Mathis ballad and fills "The Real Me" with a quavering uncertainty that makes it work.

Aiken turns the title track, written by the omnipresent Ryan Tedder of OneRepublic, into one of those ballads that could have been written anytime in the past 30 years or, probably, in the next 30. But when he tries his hand at songs that sound timelier - the poppy "Falling," a clone of his hit "Invisible," or the Pink-ish "Ashes" - he starts to lose it.

As much as his record company would want him to be, Aiken isn't a crossover pop star. He's a male Celine Dion, a nerdier Michael Bublé, a new-millennium Barry Manilow, and there's nothing wrong with that. The sooner he embraces that, the better his albums will sound. With "On the Way Here," he's not quite there.

Isn't this the second time a review has said that he is good on the ballads but not so good - almost a poser - on the poppier/rockier stuff?

Whata wonderful night, wha a wonderful Clay.

You expect more?

Well, I hope anyone who enabled people to illegally download the album, also encourae people to listen at the AOL space - link http://music.aol.com/songs/new_releases_full_cds. It was only one day after all that they had to wait to listen. One day. hardly seems worth it.

But now that the show is over, there is the rest and memories, so many wonderful memories. I was sitting on the left side looking up at Clay and did not see a tear from him or anyone, just great joy and having of fun with the crew. What funthey had! Were they doing a show or having a great time - well, both. The crew obviously loved him, not only the girls, but the chorus as well. I think the applauuse for the crew was not for them befriending Clauy, at least not mine, but because people had come to know the crew and love/like each of them individually.

Reports of suits in attendence were greatly exagerated, unless they have a hidden booth in the ceiling.

OMG - this CD is just AWESOME!

Sometimes when I read these reviews that crack on him for the more upbeat songs I think if they could only see him delivering that song live and in concert than they'd get it! I just think they can't "picture" him singing anything upbeat so therefore it isn't working for them.

I have to listen to it a few hundred times more to pick out a favorite but I do like Something About Us....and Lover All Alone finds me imagining seeing him singing it live this past summer. It's kind of strange to me though- it almost doesn't seem like it fits with the rest of the CD.....

We don't have glory notes but boy howdy is this quintessential Clay Aiken!

I can't tell is LAA was remixed or whatever.....sounds the same to me!

I also appreciate that the backup singers and orchestration don't overshadow his voice.

Gotta go - have music to listen to.

It was worth it to meee!!!

Especially since that stream doesn't work on my computer, demmit!

Hey everyone, don't forget to stream the AOL Listening party... you can hear the whole CD!!! It's AWESOME!

http://music.aol.com/songs/new_releases_full_cds

WooT!! :dancingpickle:

/penance

Last night was a thrill-ride. And I wasn't even there. Thanks to everyone for so generously sharing your experiences with those of us who couldn't make it. You all rock!!

I LOVE THIS CD!!!

Its just perfect for ME IMO. I fits everything I really like when it comes to type of music and his singing.

EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

I am still listening and will give my reactions after...

TRULY...this CD has songs that have beautiful melody, great lyrics, great production, wonderful voice...

its amazing...

I don't care about any critics at this point because I know Clay did a great job. This is a wonderful CD and something he should be very very proud of...

Congratulations CLAY!!!!

Am I the only one being a "purist" and waiting until 12:01 a.m. tonight to listen? Heh.

But I do have it on, just with the sound turned down.

I do have to say that I'm enjoying reading all the comments, even if I haven't listened. It's exciting sharing the excitement, if you know what I mean....

CG, I was going to steal that avi, but it didn't work for me! But I feel good knowing that someone who was there got it!

CG - I DO like your avi.....

I have to drive to the Bay Area tomorrow and if I can't d/l the iTunes CD I'll stop at KMart and get one for me, a beautimous poster, and one for the quilt shop. I think KMart opens at 08:00. Then I can listen to it in the car for 2 hours straight.................

I'm thinking Kipper is a Producer God. He brought out all of Clay's vocal strengths and used them effectively. His phrasing and nuances are just beautiful. Lower register, tenor............I don't know the right musical terms....but gahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!

Sitting here at work DYING because I can't listen!!!!!!!!!!

Hey Twin, I got you your magnet! We missed you but raised a glass (or two or three...) to you!

I wish everyone could have been there for the last show. Most.Special.Time.Ever!!!!

Ldyj - I had to have that avie!! A special memory of a special night!

Why do I have to work. I am soooooooooooooooo tired and I want to play!!!!!!!!!! :cry4:

The worthiness of one day, of course, depends on the individual and what you're doing for that one day. Goes either way.

I've always believe Clay kicks all kinds of ass on melodic ballads (where you really need to have a great and unique voice) - the "timelier" stuff does tend to strike me as more generic - he sounds great, but not as distinctive - it's possible I would have liked anyone with a nice tenor singing "Falling".

Hey Twin, I got you your magnet! We missed you but raised a glass (or two or three...) to you!

I wish everyone could have been there for the last show. Most.Special.Time.Ever!!!!

Yay, thanks for thinking of me!!!

Oh, no wonder I have a bit of a hangover... I thought it was the cookies I had for dinner. :lol:

I love every single song. Seriously. There's not one I will skip. I don't even know how to put them in order because they are all so different from each other. You can't compare Ashes or the growly EIDN or the synth in Falling to SAU or Sacrifical Love or the simplicity and guitar string squeaks in Grace of God. Well, maybe you can, but I can't. Strangely, LAA in this context even got under my skin a little.

:wub:

I love it all. No monkey!

Is it safe to assume that every time you play the CD all the way through on AOL that he gets another tick mark? I may never get out of my office today - still in jammies...making quick runs to the kitchen for coffee!

"....cuz you seeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee, the reeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeal meeeeeeeeeeeeee"

:cry4:

This song is soooo beautiful.

Now I'm anxious to read the liner notes. I don't think those have leaked yet, have they?

At the bottom of the Newsday review you linked, Claygasm, MsMarm found this line:

ON MY WAY HERE. Clay Aiken starts a new, less "Idol"-ish journey. In stores today. Grade: B-.

I'll take it.

Yay, I got the streaming to work on IE.

Yay, thanks for thinking of me!!!

Oh, no wonder I have a bit of a hangover... I thought it was the cookies I had for dinner. :lol:

I love every single song. Seriously. There's not one I will skip. I don't even know how to put them in order because they are all so different from each other. You can't compare Ashes or the growly EIDN or the synth in Falling to SAU or Sacrifical Love or the simplicity and guitar string squeaks in Grace of God. Well, maybe you can, but I can't. Strangely, LAA in this context even got under my skin a little.

:wub:

I love it all. No monkey!

YUP YUP...for this eclectic music lover...all the songs are great!!! even the pop/rock songs sound great cos they have good melodies and lyrics...and production and voice is still front and center.

ok listening to it one more time...with my speakers at full blast!!!

Then I will listen again tonight with all those that waited.

EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I listening now on AOL. No one is home, and I have it turned way up on my good speakers. EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:ole0: :ole0: :ole0: :ole0:

OMG, chills chills chills chills chills chills chills chills chills chills chills chills

Thanks to YSRN, who told me to try AOL in IE. I was in Mozilla, and I was so frustrated because it wouldn't work! But it works great in IE.

BTW, the slightly out of tune upright piano is used in As Long As We're Here. I'm sure of it. Haven't listened enough yet to tell if it's used in another song, as well.

EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I listening now on AOL. No one is home, and I have it turned way up on my good speakers. EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:ole0: :ole0: :ole0: :ole0:

OMG, chills chills chills chills chills chills chills chills chills chills chills chills

YUP totally agree!!!

Now I should get off the boards and just enjoy the songs...

one last time!!!

Associated Press

Clay Aiken: "I'm Not Trying to Be Justin Timberlake"

Clay Aiken: `I'm not trying to be Justin Timberlake'

By ERIN CARLSON, Associated Press Writer 5 minutes ago

Clay Aiken is realistic about his niche in the musical landscape.

"I'm not cool, you know what I mean? I'm not gonna lie," the good-humored singer told The Associated Press in a recent interview. "I'm not trying to be Justin Timberlake. Thank God we have him, but I'm not him. ... I'm not gonna bring anybody's sexy back."

Aiken embraces his pop-lite sensibility in "On My Way Here," his first album of all-new material in more than four years.

The 29-year-old "American Idol" alum — he placed second to Ruben Studdard in the Fox show's second season — was the first non-winner to release a successful album, "Measure of a Man," which went double platinum in 2003. He followed that up with two cover albums: "Merry Christmas With Love" and "A Thousand Different Ways."

The North Carolina native has racked up more life experience since his "Idol" days, and felt a deep, personal connection to the songs on the disc.

"When I (did) the first album, I ain't been through nothin', you know? ... But now I've gone through some crap, and I've gone through some good things, and I've started thinking, `Oh, wow, I know what that song's saying, I've done that, I've experienced that, that's happened to me,'" he mused in his Southern drawl.

The ballad "The Real Me," about living in the spotlight, hits close to home: "It's amazing how I meet people all the time who think they know me. ... I just did an interview a minute ago with someone (who) said, `You used to be a nanny right? That's so great.' And I was like, nooo!'"

"So many people think I'm just a sweet, happy person all the time," he added, laughing.

Aiken made his Broadway debut as Sir Robin in "Monty Python's Spamalot" in January, and recorded "On My Way Here" in his spare time. Aiken ends his run in the Tony Award-winning musical on May 4.

"Truth is, I did not expect to enjoy it as much as I have," he said. "I really have had a great time, and I've loved the people I've worked with."

Will he return to The Great White Way?

"You know, (if) the right thing came along, absolutely, I'd love to do that again," he said. "But you know what? If the right `anything' came along, I'd be happy to try it."

More articles coming....