How the Heck are We All Gonna Get Along? With Clay, Naturally!

3 hours ago, ldyjocelyn said:

Any Wordle players here?  The Holderness Family (who now have a career making viral videos...and is also doing really well on this season of The Amazing Race) have a new parody video.  I love them.

thanks idyjocelyn for posting this cute video......

Discovered world of Wordle with Puzzle #224. ..instantly hooked. ..downside was having to wait for single  new puzzle released per day.  

A PhD student from Duke developed website enabling playing the actual original puzzles #1 through yesterdays. 

Well guess what...Wordle binge...exhausted archive in 3 days.  

https://www.newsbreak.com/news/2504388474756/want-more-wordle-this-duke-student-just-opened-up-its-archive

link to archive about middle of article

Email from Clay, not fundraising related:

Last week I told y’all about how I fell in love with teaching while working with children with special needs at my local YMCA — the same YMCA I attended as a child.

In college, I studied special education with a concentration in teaching children with severe and profound disabilities. When serving as a teacher’s assistant in a classroom for children with autism, I learned how to individually care for each student’s unique needs and celebrate each of their unique strengths.

My time as a teacher’s assistant and special educator has given me a unique perspective on our education system… and I’m chomping at the bit to get in there and make improvements when elected to Congress!

I’m chock-full of ideas on how to improve North Carolina’s schools, but… today… I want to hear from you. Take this survey and let me know your thoughts on what our community needs.

What changes would you like to see in your community?

SURVEY

I’m eager to get up to Washington and make things better for North Carolina’s kids. Let’s put our heads together so we can fight for the change we all want to see!

Clay

I think we will know very soon. The state Supreme Court seems determined not to delay the primary vote again. The conundrum for Clay is that the most recent maps, including this one and the one that this one replaced, have separated Wake County from the so-called "Price" district, which is the 4th, and the 4th district now includes more typically Republican voters. It runs all the way to Virginia. Still winnable, but closer. District 2, where there is already a well-liked Democratic incumbent, includes only the northern half of Wake County, and the other half of 2 is southern Wake combined with a bunch of counties that lean Republican. Also, lots of decent competition in the 4th. It's not looking like the cake walk he thought it was going to be.

ETA: Source for my response to the delay question is this:  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I'm more than a little confused as the tweet says all the appeals have been denied, and the tweet and the article give a time of around 10:30 pm, but the article he links to is an edited version of earlier articles and is contradictory. Even the blurb below the link to the article isn't up to date. On the other hand, the tweeter wrote the article, lol, and it contains this paragraph which I don't recall seeing in previous versions:

Both sides appealed different parts of the ruling, but all were shot down Wednesday by the N.C. Supreme Court. That means candidate filing for the 2022 election can start at 8 a.m. Thursday as scheduled.

It'll be interesting to see if, now that he's tweeted, he cleans things up a bit, changes the lede and fixes the contradictions. At any rate, it sure sounds like filing will begin tomorrow morning.

And yes, I did post earlier and delete it. I wanted to do a bit more research and work this out, but as I said before, I think this is it.

I hate to whine about my little problem but I am so sick of being in Virginia Fox's district. I had a two year reprieve when we had a Democratic representative, Kathy Manning, but looks like they want to put our Democratic area back in with the rural Republican area. Grr. Feels like I have no representative. So I'll adopt another district and hope that Clay wins.

Oh Fear, I hate Virginia Fox with a purple passion. The redistricting is doing me no favors personally either. The incumbent in my district is someone (a Republican) I never heard of (although that might be a good thing). Will have to look him up. I don't even know who is running against him.

ETA: I take that back. According to the N&O there is no incumbent in my district. Interestingly, it's closer geographically to where Clay ran before. Also interesting, the district encompassing the city of Charlotte also has no incumbent.  

Someone on CV was asking what district Clay lives in. He grew up in what is now the 2nd, but he could live in the 3rd - I don't know where he lives.

Fear, I can sympathize.  My representative is Darrin LaHood, the son of former Secretary of Transportation for President Obama Roy LaHood.  Roy was the representative for the longest time around here, and was very very good at bi-partisanship.  He was a Republican that I didn't mind voting for.  His son?  Not so much.  Kisses Trump's a** as much as anything.  (One district over from me?  Adam Kinzinger.)

Looks like there's a political fundraiser coming up soon, although I can't tell the date from this.

image.png

And Clay Lives!

post-787-0-73316100-1646064596.jpeg

In case anyone else is wondering, I found this about primaries with multiple candidates: 

A runoff (they call it a second primary) is not required if a candidate gets a "substantial" plurality–which is defined as 30% of the vote plus one. A runoff is not required in any case unless the second-highest vote-getter calls for a runoff. Runoff elections are normally held seven weeks after the primary.

Brace yourselves folks, there's a few people in that long list who will be tough competition. I think everyone on the boards already knows about Nida Allam. Another is Valerie Foushee. She's been a senator or congressperson at the state level for ten years. (And represented me in both capacities at times -- depending on what the maps looked like at any given moment). https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Valerie_Foushee. I'm not familiar with any of the other names, but that doesn't mean much. Charles Graham decided last minute to run in his home district, the 7th, which is fortunate for Clay. He's a member and elder of of the Lumbee tribe, was also a special ed teacher, has been running for close to a year already, and has a strong campaign. I'd really like to see him win his seat. 

Not that I get to vote for him, or Clay. In my district there's only one Dem candidate, someone I have not heard of before. 4 Republican candidates.

Thanks jmh for the reality check -- I have to keep reminding myself of that as well.  Nida Allam's backing by "the Squad" will probably help her somewhat, and I've heard her warchest is quite substantial.  

This isn't a walk in the park for Clay.