Photoshop Techniques

I shouldn't be here, just because I said I would try some things and then a) chickened out; and B) found I didn't have the time to work on this properly. But I'd like to suggest that there are many other versions of Solitaire out there. At the very least...could someone work in his AI3 appearance (where he was looking so very fine) into the banner?

Boy! I'm jealous of some of the things you guys can do with Photoshop, opposed to PSP. It's great to see people learning. I get so much pleasure out of playing with Clay. Heh! merrieeee, you don't wanna be stopped! You are doing amazing things already. Way to go!!!

Here's my Solitaire effort.

FCASolitaire.jpg

Boy! I'm jealous of some of the things you guys can do with Photoshop, opposed to PSP. It's great to see people learning. I get so much pleasure out of playing with Clay. Heh! merrieeee, you don't wanna be stopped! You are doing amazing things already. Way to go!!!

Here's my Solitaire effort.

FCASolitaire.jpg

hey I bet I can make a flash file that will go through the different banners. Trying to learn flash. Its such a cool program but so many features I am getting pretty overwhelmed.

sigh...FLash is not as easy as I thought. I probably will figure it out but not in time to create something for this weeks banner. Anyway... i tried an animated gif and it was just a bit too busy. So Couchie suggested that I split the week in two...so will put merieee's banner first then Cha cha's...and if anyone else wants to submit one before tomorrow we will split it into three.

Cindilu's is great as usual but unfortunately CB has it too as their banner. So I will just put it up in the gallery.

Thanks so much for sharing your talents.

sigh...FLash is not as easy as I thought. I probably will figure it out but not in time to create something for this weeks banner. Anyway... i tried an animated gif and it was just a bit too busy. So Couchie suggested that I split the week in two...so will put merieee's banner first then Cha cha's...and if anyone else wants to submit one before tomorrow we will split it into three.

Cindilu's is great as usual but unfortunately CB has it too as their banner. So I will just put it up in the gallery.

Thanks so much for sharing your talents.

WOOOOOOOOOO HOOOOOOOOOOOO!!! THANKS!!

MY FIRST BANNER!!

Tonight besides staring at MY banner,(eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee)I have been just clicking in PS. I didn't know how to change he colour when you did an outer glow etc. and tonight just by clicking all over the place I found out how. Some of these manuals seem to assume you know where some things are! I just wish they were more clear for us novices. Since I can't use my computer at work any more I have been reading and highlighting the Adobe manual which is somewhat of a help.

I have tried the burn and the fire techniques but I couldn't get them to work quite right ...and well I ran out of time*g*

There is so much I want to try.....so little time!

Tonight besides staring at MY banner,(eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee)I have been just clicking in PS. I didn't know how to change he colour when you did an outer glow etc. and tonight just by clicking all over the place I found out how. Some of these manuals seem to assume you know where some things are! I just wish they were more clear for us novices. Since I can't use my computer at work any more I have been reading and highlighting the Adobe manual which is somewhat of a help.

I have tried the burn and the fire techniques but I couldn't get them to work quite right ...and well I ran out of time*g*

There is so much I want to try.....so little time!

merrieee! That's the best way to learn PS is to "just click around"!

Remember to make notes and save versions of what you did with explicit names so You'll remember how you got there!

Posting on the fly, on dialup right now, tech person coming later today! :F_05BL17blowkiss:

Going to NYC tomorrow! EEEEEEEeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!

OK - you probably would like to know how I did this:

SLC-solitaire1-sm.jpg

Unfortunately it is not a simple process!! I used many layers and colors and brushes and erasers!!

Different opacities....... and a desaturation on the images.

I'll try to give you some guidelines if anyone is interested.

How about you try to figure it out first and post your results!! :clap:

YES - THIS IS A TEST!!! :cryingwlaughter:

It uses a lot of the basic skills you've learned already.

OK - GO!! :F_05BL17blowkiss:

::big huge grin and running away laughing::

I haven't been participating here mostly because I'm dang busy with work (grr), BUT, I want to say that I've read through this thread and found some cool new tricks to use, so... THANKS!!

Ya'll are learning AND teaching.

:F_05BL17blowkiss:

I haven't been participating here mostly because I'm dang busy with work (grr), BUT, I want to say that I've read through this thread and found some cool new tricks to use, so... THANKS!!

Ya'll are learning AND teaching.

Hey! Thank YOU YSRN!

I am thinking about doing another thing on Brushes soon. Life has been pretty hectic lately...

AND we are heading for SF next Thursday!! I hope we can get together! :F_05BL17blowkiss:

Some quick notes on this:

5thgr1024a.jpg

(refer to previous pages for help with some of these techniques)

• 1. open a new file and choose a size

2. pick three colors and fill three different layers with it.

3. pick three images and copy/paste and move into place with move tool

4. use eraser tool with soft round brush on the images to feather the edges of overlapping images

5. hide the colored layers and use Layers>Merge Visible on the 3 images layers

6. move the images layer below the colored layers

7. set colored layers on less opacity so the image shows thru

8. use various brushes with eraser tool on the color layers to create patterns around the images

I think next we'll learn how to make a custom brush.

For example - you can draw something like this:

flower.jpg

and make a brush out of it in just a few easy steps.

ENJOY!!! Please display some of your work!!! :F_05BL17blowkiss:

Here's what happened to me...when my brother first put me in front of a computer (just shortly before Clay happened) and commanded, "LEARN!" I picked up my mouse and started drawing. (instinct) Trouble is, that computer didn't last long and the art program I had on it was different....I can't even remember what it was called...all I know is I could draw.

When he switched computers on me I ended up with PS...which I love mind you...I could just never figure out how to 'draw' like I did in my old program.

Here is my very first work ever on a computer. I didn't even know how to size things...lol....the geraniums came a few days later. I picked up drawing in that old program quickly.

firsthorse.jpg

firsthorsecopybigger-1.jpg

lgflowerpot.jpg

Do you think you could show me the way to free draw in PS?

oh laughn those were great!!!

You probably were using the old Corel Paint program. I don't know if that is what eventually evolved to PSP cindilu2 uses so well. But I miss that old paint program too cos it was so realistic in using different mediums like water color, oil charcoal...etc. That program works in an entirely different ways than vectors or PS.

oh I googled it and its Corel painter. You should check it out cos that is a very realistic program and you are very good at it.

oh laughn those were great!!!

ah, thanks ansa. I used to do more of it. Drawing is my way to relax.

....and this is what I was afraid of...

That program works in an entirely different ways than vectors or PS.

Thank you for a name to check out though. I will go Google Corel. :F_05BL17blowkiss:

laughn - I am not sure I could draw a horse like that even without a computer!! I've never done any real drawing like that on Photoshop.

I did however find at least one site that has some tutorials for drawing techniques:

Janee's Photoshop Tutorials

There's a lot of great stuff there and not just for drawing!

Have fun!

If I disappear for a few months or something, it's because I am lost in those tutorials. Thank you cha cha

I'm still looking into Corel also. I love working with this stuff. Thank you all for the tips.

It gets a bit tricky for me to be honest because I have a bit of a reading problem and a lot of the time things take awhile to sink in. But, it's worth the :breakpc1:

ok...it's not much, but I loved this photo taken by 4omc...dang! forgot to credit her on this...anyhow, the picture was really grainy, but since I loved the tongue shot I wanted to make a banner with it.

(thumbnail)

th_clay029.jpg

I used the rectangle cut out to put the section of the photo I liked into a new banner size. I then used the magnetic lasso tool to cut out Clay's head and copied and pasted it back onto that image, so I'd have a separate layer for just Clay's head.

I then went to Filters>Artistic>palette knife to alter the original image. I never changed Clay's face from the original photo, just the skaters around him. I used the same lasso tool to cut out and paste two of the women's heads to make an arrangement I liked.

If none of this makes sense, I apologize. I'm not that good with the descriptions....but here's the result

skateFCAcopy.jpg

I like both your banners so I will try to put both of themup...keep them coming cos there are a lot weeks ahead...

Thanks ansa. I'm flattered. It's always a kick to see a banner up that you made, but truly, I play with this stuff just because I love doing it, so if you run out of time or whatever to use them I won't feel bad.

Now to show what an artistic pain in the ass I can be, I will tell you now that you loaded the wrong copy into the banner folder in the Gallery because when I first posted I used the wrong link from my photobucket. I replaced my link here, but I could not change the link you uploaded.

There were some changes I made to the lettering and I posted the wrong copy. I'm sorry for the bother. I apologize.

Hi y'all - I'm back from SF! laughn - you and merrieee have been busy little beavers!! NICE BANNERS! :F_05BL17blowkiss:

laughn - your description of your procedure made perfect sense to me and I think it was an ingenious technique!

I think I have used it in the past, but I can't recall off the top of my head what it was for! GOOD JOB! :clap:

I haven't been online since Wednesday so I have a lot to catch up with. I didn't have a laptop with me, which was OK, since we moved to 3 different hotels in 5 days!! We had a blast, I will be looking for a travel section to post some of the pix in!

Hey - I just spent the last couple hours making a new banner!! (don't ask me how I did it right now!!) :cryingwlaughter:

gallery_1027_32_54803.jpg

OK - without getting too detailed, here's the basic technique for the above banner:

• type your type, select the marquis tool.

C/P a photos layer under the type layer.

Select the type layer, hold down the ctrl key and click the type layer in the layers properties.

this will select around the typed letters.

Go to the Select menu and select Inverse.

(making sure the photo layer is selected) hit Delete.

The area surrounding the letters will be deleted leaving only the photo in the letters.

As always, have fun and please display your work and ask questions!!