American Idol 7

Ansamcw

So far, I haven't had a chance to watch a single episode of this series... yet I knew that Michael Johns had been eliminated because it was all over the news here in Oz.

Apparently, Aussie Mike's emergence inspired two Australian Idol judges to go to LA and London, to seek out and audition Oz talent living abroad.

I watched it. I was shocked when they said Brooke was safe. She sucked. And then David Cook? I thought if there was going to be a shocker, it would be that HE got sent home because I really didn't "Get" it AT.ALL. And Carly keeps hanging on by a thread and I thought HER performance was way under par, too.

Michael? He's not a fave of mine, but I think he's consistent. And his last performance certainly didn't deserve getting him booted off. Weird. I think David Cook has a cult following by now, actually. Brooke? Hmmm. I don't really know her appeal. Her voice is ordinary. Her style very imitative...whatever.

Carly gives me a weird vibe feeling. Have you ever noticed how she hangs on all the other contestants. I've even sensed a couple of them pulling away from her. She hugs and cries and hugs and---she just rubs me wrong for some reason. She does have a good, strong voice, but I wouldn't want to see a lot of her... :unsure:

So....my bottom three would've been Brooke, David and Carly and I could've lived with any of those getting the boot.

Muski, muski, that is a symptom of Calry's desperation. She just oozes it.

I often say that what is missing for Idol now is the hunger the desire to take a shot at the moon. Carly hasthe desire part of it down, but I don't think she knows how to do the work. Not that she is lazy, she just seems obtuse. My biggest complaint about a lot of people who go on reality shows (and this is a big reality show!) is that they don't study the previous years. it is one thing to be the first year, but after wards, you should watch past shows, they are available! Go on the boards check out what is going on before you get there.

I always believed that Clay did the work before he appeared on the show, especially between Group II and Wild Card. he had his friends on the internet, had them starting a fan site for him, ...... The new fans sort of took over and out did them so they quit, but he knew he had to build a fan base to vote for him and he knew he had to work at reaching them and his friends did. Cheating? I don't think so, but smart, very, very smart. Taylor Hicks, the least desired winner, had "an interested fan", an adult male writer, running a site for him from the beginning. Not the usual thing, but it worked and organized his fans right away. I think he did the legwork up front, he got his rousing call for the fans (something Clay missed because, well, it wasn't needed for season 1) and did a whole lot of other things to get his fans going. (I do believe the Ford ad did him in though, it was soooo annoying). Now a lot of these people had their own sites up and had to take them down, but I think they are used to having "people" handle this stuff and they seemed to lean on TPTB.

I think the way was greased for a few contestants and they just are cracking under the stress of the show now that they are on it - all this voting and stuff. Letting other people decide, having to market yourself to TV and such. What is particularly amusing to me is the Michael and Carly are the two most experienced performers, TV wise, and they seem to be the most incompetent in selling themselves to the public through TV. ell, David A has TV experience and he kind of sold himself at first but seems to be cracking right now.

I can't explain how I get this feeling clearly, but the emotional wrecks we see on TV now means there was a disconnect between what they thought they were getting into and what they did get into. I don't think they expected it to be so hard. Daughtry was the first ungracious loser I remember. Blake seems ungracious toward people he lasted longer than. But one interview I read indicated Michael felt others deserved to go before he did and that is rather ungentlemanly. I think psyching yourself into believing that you are going is the best way to face the results show.

Playbiller, that makes me curious. How did Tamyra reacted to her elimination?

I never saw Series 1 except snippets found on YouTube. I do remember seeing Tamyra's audition on YT where she absolutely oozed confidence. I think she would have passed out from shock if she had not been put through to Hollywood! Also, from the Q&A for Series 2, where the top 12 were asked who they thought was going to win Series 1, almost everyone said "Tamyra". (I think Clay said "probably Tamyra".)

Since Tamyra herself must have surely thought she would at least get to the Top 2 (apparently, much was made of her talent by the judges), I can't help wondering what her reaction was in interviews afterwards. Was she gracious? I am a little surprised she doesn't really have a career as a recording artist since everyone seemed to think she had such a great voice.

Yes indeed, there is more to Idol than just having a great voice. Where Clay is concerned, I think that his early "losses" (Charlotte and Group 2 semi) were a huge blessing in disguise. He was smart enough to use that experience to his benefit. While his "Open Arms" semi was good, VERY good, it paled in comparison to DLTSGDOM, which made everyone sit up. If I had watched Series 2 as it progressed (rather than 5 years later LOL), I would have bet ANY amount of money that Clay would make it to the Top 12 after his Wild Card performance. It became even more obvious that the audience had voted for him when the judges did not pick him as their personal choice; after all, the judges, including SIMON, were blown away by his performance.

Tamyra acceptedthe loss graciously. These great "surprises" are usually not really, just played for drama. Recently Tamyra posted taht she never really wanted to win, she had no idea what an Idol was. The thing is She had a bad performance and was called on it by the judges - the first year they were pretty straight forward, it was just a summer job to them. Nikki had two dynomite performances and was rightly praised.

It really was right that she lost, she just did not want it that much.

I watched it. I was shocked when they said Brooke was safe. She sucked. And then David Cook? I thought if there was going to be a shocker, it would be that HE got sent home because I really didn't "Get" it AT.ALL. And Carly keeps hanging on by a thread and I thought HER performance was way under par, too.

I certainly wasn't shocked that Brooke and David C were safe...they have established a fanbase right now and that is what sustains people through bad performances. There are a lot of people that love Brooke...me for instance. I really connected with her from the very start. She is really a a duck out of water in AI cos she is more a song writer. I went to her myspace and her original music sounded really good to me. Her problem is...she really is more comfortable on a small intimate stage with her guitar and piano singing her own songs...when she has all the bells and whistles, the real Brooke gets lost. I don't think and don;t want her to win. I also was very disappointed with her choice cos she went safe. I remember the song she sang during auditions...was an obscure inspirational song and she sang with such sincerity. I was hoping she would do something like that but since the zero trio seem to love her when she is being carol king redux...she is sticking to that...which I think is unfortunate. I just wish she would be more like Jason in her song choices...just go with her instinct and take chances.

I think the problem with Micheal is David C. I think the AI audience that like rock was divided between the 2, since David C has done more performances that distinguished himself and has a more contemporary sound...he has the bigger fanbase. Micheal I think went the way Constantine did. A lot of his fans probably got complacent...he did a good but not incredible job which is how most contestants that were never on the bottom goes...and David C did a very bad job...which got his fanbase voting for him.

I thought they had the right bottom 3 this week...although I would have chosen Sayesha to go cos she is just a clone of all the diva wannabe's that's in AI every year. I do think being the only African American left in the competition is getting her votes...the same with Kristy who is bringing in the country votes.

IMO AI was never a vocal competition...it is a search for a superstar. So it is not just voice and performance skills that are vital here, its the ability to connect with your audience. I think Micheal, Carly and Sayesha have good voices and the experience to give a good performance, but they are leaving the audience cold. Kristy gave her best performance this week and is a credible country singer. Brooke and Jason are both so likable, their styles are also unique to AI. Their type of folksy singers don't usually survive the auditions and they have the ability to connect with their audience, so they are still there. The Davids are the front runners right now...they won't be going anywhere. My prediction for top 4 is Brooke Jason and the Davids. I wouldn't be surprised if Jason will sneak into the finals somehow. He is gaining momentum and David C cannot afford another bad week or he might be another Daughtry. I also think these four have the best chance for a good recording career after AI. I will definitely check out Brooke and Jason's CDs. Jason has a fantastic recording voice.

My prediction for top 4 is Brooke Jason and the Davids.

That would be my Final 4 choice, for sure. I don't see myself buying David Archuletta's music, but the kid deserves to be there. David Cook's performances have been my favorite from the start (except last week which was really bad, IMO). I enjoy his creativity as well as his style. He doesn't have a stellar voice, but music really isn't about that to me for the most part. I really like Brooke and Jason and can imagine liking original music from them. I am just attracted to that sound and style. I don't think they're well suited to the AI thing, though. The themes make them seem weaker than they are, IMO. AI seems so much more suited to the big voice. I feel a change, though. And was that a CCM song for the group performance? A nod to the strength of the genre, perhaps? I was surprised.

Although I agree that reality contestants should familiarize themselves with the past seasons I disagree that Clay did that. I also disagree that he told his friends to go on the net. I do believe his friends just did that without input from Clay the only time he used his friends to send a message was after Vincent.. He said that he didn't watch season 1, only the finale. I do think he was strategic in his choices by the time he got to wildcard. But I don't think he would;ve known to use the internet to build a fanbase from watching season 1. It was only in season 2 that the power of the internet fanbase was very evident and that was with Clay's fanbase.

Ah, but Suzanne set up the first fan site for him and took it down when the others popped up and hers did not do as well), since she was at the show, he must have at least known about it. We know he watched reality shows before, he said he did not want to do survivor and wanted to do Amazing race (although he was a bit obtuse about water challenges). He watched at least one show of AI, that was saved for him by Diane B, I would be very surprised if he did not watch others because he because he did seem to know about the show in interviews. He also contacted the media before Hollywood (as directed by AI, according to Clay) and that is paying him off in spades to this day - Linda Loveland. While I don't think Clay is a webmaster, I think he was internet savvy enough to read, and react. He wasthe one who read the boards and showed Carmen only her good reviews and suggestions. I think that Kim said he pointed out the good ones for others as well. Somewhere that year, they limited the contestants to e-mailonly. I can't remember where I read it or heard this, don't think this is made up, but who knows, no source.

I have this rant every year when any reality show goes on the air. The people who go on TAR without knowing they have to spend time in airports or a smattering of languages or HOW TO DRIVE A STICK SHIFT? I think it applies to AI and I do believe sincerely Taylor was the most prepared contestant ever, he did everything right according to my check list. This is not cheating, this is intelligence.

I guess what I disagree with is the idea that he knew what to do by watching the last season. I think this is just Clay being smart and using common sense and knowing that he needs to sell himself to the audience. I also think that your point that some people are a bit complacent makes sense. Clay was always sure he was about to go home. He was never complacent...always worked hard and looked to really improve his performance.

Well, with one season, you don't know exactly what to do, it just shows you what resonated with the small summer audience. With shows like Survivor and TAR, they really need to watch the show, Big brother - eh, can't even imagine watching anymore, not to metion participating. But AI, now you can do a true study of what makes a success on this show, it never really changes, the producers don't see it though.

Tamyra acceptedthe loss graciously. These great "surprises" are usually not really, just played for drama. Recently Tamyra posted taht she never really wanted to win, she had no idea what an Idol was. The thing is She had a bad performance and was called on it by the judges - the first year they were pretty straight forward, it was just a summer job to them. Nikki had two dynomite performances and was rightly praised.

It really was right that she lost, she just did not want it that much.

What do you mean by "just played for drama"? While I realize that almost everything on TV is scripted, I thought that AI was live to air, i.e. not "live" in "real time" but taped live, and then put to air with whatever editing is necessary. Surely the reaction of an eliminated contestant isn't scripted.

I can understand Tamyra saying - after the fact...especially years later - that she didn't want to win Idol but surely AT THAT TIME, with all the buzz and momentum and being one of the favourites to win... she surely would have wanted to win, even without knowing anything about what would happen afterwards.

I personally found Tamyra a little boring, which may be totally unfair of me to say since i never watched the series, and my opinion is just from snippets I have seen of her. I DID, however, watch AI3 and also found LaToya to be boring, whereas I LOVED LOVED Fantasia as a full package. She oozed personality and had a good dose of humility and humour to balance her serious performing talent. When the 3 divas of 2004 were in the bottom 3, Fantasia found it hysterically funny whereas the other two looked stunned. I couldn't believe that she won by such a small margin over Diana DeGarmo, I had expected Fantasia to have a landslide win. She is still my favourite female Idol. (They sure breed good talent in North Carolina!)

By played for drama I mean acted out on stage by the people who knew - and the producers trying to make this the "you must vote" drama which means to vote, you must watch. i don't think it was a great shocker to many except Michael Johns that he was ousted, much like it was a surprise to Daughtry, while others who watched the show saw he just sang the same thing over and over and did not really show a real person. Johns was in the group going sooner or later and there was probably a small vote margin in that group so anyone can go. The producers tried to play him up, but he really just did not seem to have that many fans (I look at thread post count on various boards and his was low. People liked him, but they liked him mostly second, not first, so he got leftover votes. Yes, I need a life) hence, it was not a surprise to see him voted off. The media is being fed tha this is a real socker. maybe it was a shocker to TPTB, but not to a lot of people on the boards. Just like people think they have to think like Simon to be smart, the media follows what ever Nigel feeds them. he said ti would be a shock before the show ran, hence when it happened, ti was a shock to the media and has been reported as such. Is anyone here really "shocked" or just mildly surprised? <- drama

By played for drama I mean acted out on stage by the people who knew - and the producers trying to make this the "you must vote" drama which means to vote, you must watch. i don't think it was a great shocker to many except Michael Johns that he was ousted, much like it was a surprise to Daughtry, while others who watched the show saw he just sang the same thing over and over and did not really show a real person. Johns was in the group going sooner or later and there was probably a small vote margin in that group so anyone can go. The producers tried to play him up, but he really just did not seem to have that many fans (I look at thread post count on various boards and his was low. People liked him, but they liked him mostly second, not first, so he got leftover votes. Yes, I need a life) hence, it was not a surprise to see him voted off. The media is being fed tha this is a real socker. maybe it was a shocker to TPTB, but not to a lot of people on the boards. Just like people think they have to think like Simon to be smart, the media follows what ever Nigel feeds them. he said ti would be a shock before the show ran, hence when it happened, ti was a shock to the media and has been reported as such. Is anyone here really "shocked" or just mildly surprised? <- drama

I don't like Nigel. I find him tacky and unprofessional, regardless of how successful he is in this cut-throat business. I thought his comments about Clay's appearance were ridiculous, especially the way in which he expressed them. I also saw him as a judge on another show and felt he was better placed BEHIND the scenes and especially behind the camera - Clay's totally eye-candy compared to him. (Yeah, I am being a B**** ... er..rhymes with witch.... LOL)

And with the Vincent performance, fancy making a contestant CHANGE the song just an hour or so before his performance. Sounds like a conspiracy to me, especially with the judges then all running with it and making a big deal in case no one noticed!! Ah well, that's all water under the bridge now I guess but it couldn't have been fun for Clay or his supporters at that time.

I like Nigel. Nigel is just selling his show... and I guess I've never heard him say anything bad about Clay. Guess I missed something. Or maybe I've softened because I think he does a great job with SYTYCD.

Yup I gotta a agree. Nigel has always been very positive about Clay. He does tell it like it is at times. I don;t know what incident you mean claytonic when Nigel said something bad about Clay's appearance but I always got the impression that Nigel liked Clay and I suspect that Clay got some of the special lighting on Solitiaire or special treatment when he visits AI because Nigel likes him. Clay is one alumni that has visited AI a lot of times and every visit was treated like an event. Even the one time he visited and was only in the audience Ryan made a big deal of it talking to him and he was all over the media the next day. In comparison, there were times Ruben was in the audience and only got his name on the screen. I think at one time he didn't even get that. Thats why I am happy that he is now singing the sing out song cos its about time AI did something for him. The one alum and winner that is really treated badly is Taylor IMO. He is barely seen in the opening credits...if at all, barely mentioned by Ryan or the zero trio. I don't blame them...I don't think TBTP wanted him as the winner, but that is one season that truly got away from them.

Huh. David A doing "When You Believe". I just realized, one of my problems with him is that he SQUINTS ALL THE GODDAMNED TIME! Open up your freakin' eyes dude! It is SO VERY NOT sexy. And he should never wear leather pants. The boy can sing - I just can't stand him.

Guess it's just me tonight!

Carly does Mariah's "Without Love". Oh man. I thought she would let it all hang out, but she didn't. It was oddly....dull. Henry Nilsson, Mariah and Clay all kicked her butt. She didn't connect for me at all. And she had the mic way too close to her mouth - I could hear every sucked in breath and gasp and it was distracting. And she still has negative charisma.

Syesha did a Mariah number I never heard off - Paula says that was good because they wouldn't compare her to Mariah - well, it might have worked if she hadn't done it Mariah-style, and came up way short. It's been a couple of minutes and I've already forgotten it.

I;m here...

WORD to you on David. I actually think he looks a bit too nervous. Its not cute anymore. I really don;t find his voice that extraordinary. He can sing but I just don;t get enthralled by him.

Yup Carly...not the time to get restrained. I wonder if she is having problems with her voice...but yeah even Kelly kicked her butt on that song.

Sayesha...another one that bores me. She just does not bring anything new to the table.

ok now how will Brooke and Jason adjust to this week. I am worried for Brooke.

Yeah, I thought Brooke was bad from top to bottom and even I could see the nerves. And I have to dislike her because even Paula knew the tempo was off. the first word of each line was just bad. Really bad.

Kristi is a better performer but lord she have even fewer vocal chops. And this song exposes every weakness. Mariah has MAD talent and it's fuckin' HARD to do what she does. At this point, either she or Brooke need to go on this performance - Syesha is only spared because she wasn't BAD - she just wasn't good.

I am watching Last Restaurant Standing, with teensy glimpses of AI. I caught Brooke singing about 20 notes of some song I vaguely know, and it sounded like she missed all of them. Yikes!

My ten second glimpse of Carly - her voice sounded thin or something.

I just saw David A after the song, standing with Ryan, he looks like he should be on some Nickleoden show, his 12 year old-ness seems just so odd now.