American Idol 7

Ansamcw

Well, vocal gymnastics ....I don't always like them when that's the song - instead of the melody and stuff you're used to hearing on their recorded versions. I saw Whitney pre-Bobby and she was incredible and flat-out gorgeous! .....but she kept messing with the melodies and would go on for loooooooooooooong minutes doing jazzy aria type stuff. The crowd even got restless.

But - you're right - a good singer ought to be able to sing pretty much anything. Silly me - I forgot the Jukebox Tour!!!! How many times have I said

"Clay can sing anything!" Lost my head there for a minute. And you made a very good point. There aren't too many of the AI contestants that could sing just anything. In fact, after I typed JBT I remembered one of my favorite moments - when Clay was singing back up to Angela on Black Velvet. He wailed on that and gahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh it was good.

Loved Freddie Mercury. Love George Michael - have always thought he had one of the best voices in the business. Too bad he can't keep his "business" where it belongs and stay out of men's restrooms. I do hope his new CD is a hit though.

The reason I think they have these "artist theme nights" is so they can bring in more viewers. People will tune in to see Mariah Carey maybe whether they like AI or not. They could still get the comparisons with the broader themes. I think they were really setting the men up with having to sing Mariah but it turned out better for them than the women.

I will say that this is the first year I've actually watched with interest since Clay was on.

ooooh, they are doing groups again.

And Carly thinks they have been hard on her. Poor baby doesn't know hard on her they can be. Don't know if I believe the split and the placement of the bottom 3. And they played speed racer ad - a shout out to Clay!

I swear Carly has 9 lives and she is always safe because there is always someone worse in this year of the best top 12 ever

I couldn't beleive that split of jason and david C either. I knew they had a fake out planned. It makes sense cos its pretty obvious the group that ahd Jason C and David would be safe.

Poor David A...I thought I saw him saying something to Ryan and I thought it was don;t make me do this...or something. But sit on your butt was good...and I loved David c sitting with him.

I was so happy that Brooke was safe. Next week will be Andre Lloyd Webber week. I wonder if she will choose I don;t know how to love him. That is perfect for her range and style

hats off to David C for not mentioning his brother on air. Classy and tacky for Ryan to put him on the spot.

I really don;t like Carly challenging Simon like that. It seems desperate.

I think if you are a really good singer with great basic singing talent - you really can handle different genres while making them your own. I like artists throwing a curve ball every so often - and the really great artists get inspiration from a ton of sources

Sounds like a CUTE singerman I love...

Oooh...Iseeme! Are you talking about a particular concert of JBT re: Clay backing up Angela in Black Velvet, or just in general? Love Clay's background vocals!

I really thought Brooke should've gone, based on last night's performances. But really...neither she nor Kristy is the 'winner' so they'll both be gone before the finale. Let's see, who's in the finale? I say...David C and Carly. I think they'll keep Carly around, grooming her. Either that, or David C and Jason---no, that wouldn't be exciting enough---hmmm, maybe a battle of the Davids?

I think David C will win. He's certainly better than Daughtry!>!>!!>!>!...Re: David A and ballads. I think HE prefers slow ballads, too. He's so young that his voice is going to go through some maturation before we'll really know what he CAN do. And yeah, marketing him will be a challenge..and as we've seen, the music industry really doesn't like to bother with marketing challenges: they'd rather have their moneymakers already wrapped up in identifiable boxes, thank you.

Brooke--she really does seem like a nice person and genuine...I just think she's also mediocre and sorta boring and predictable. Not 'winner' material, IMO.

But I have to say that I, too, have more interest in this group than in any other group since Clay. I think overall they have more vocal chops than the collected talent in other groups. Yet there's still no one who can top Clay purely on vocal merit.

Did anyone else think that Mariah might have been a bit under the weather tonight? Her voice wasn't anything special, IMO, and it seemed she was really holding back. When it came time to belt it, they really upped and amped the background vocals and music, perhaps to mask her less-than-usual killer lung power?

Okay - excuse the hell out of me but what was Little David Archuleta doing with Clay's red leather jacket on???? Did Faye loan it to him?

I was a bit worried at first with the 3 here and 3 there but clearly it was designed to keep people on edge. Don't they do this every year? Put someone on the spot?

Muski - ANY of the JBT concerts where Clay sang backup on Black Velvet. Honestly - find a download somewhere. It gives me chills. He just lays that voice out there.....But the first and only time I saw it live was in Toronto! He just kicks on that vocal. One of my favorite Clay moments.

Well! Well! It's going to be interesting next week with Andrew Lloyd Webber. I hope no one is stupid enough to attempt The Music of The Night!

What was Jason thinking!!!

There are so many ALW that he could've chosen..I think a Joseph song could be better...or one from Jesus Christ superstar...or from Evita

That was bad...and I agree with Simon. Hope he survives it. I think his fan base should be dialing their fingers off...

Sayesha...she can be good for musical theater...but not for Broadway. Her voice on the big notes...was lacking.

Syesha ROCKED!!!!!!!!! and Simon got a little smitten, I think.

Jason was terrible, prolly because of sickness, but very very pitchy, breathy, etc.

well breathy is not something new for him...but I think it was just the wrong song for his voice. I also think for the first time he was psyched out. He usually is so comfortable and cool on stage but not this week. I do hope he survives this.

Yeah, she didn't get the big notes very well, I got the impression she was better in rehearsal for some reason.

She was really fun to watch.

I felt bad for Jason. That is a snoozer song anyway, and it is so slow it showcased every misstep.

Yikes, Brooke is nervous and keeps losing her lower register or something. Simon nailed it for me - Brooke made me uncomfortable, she seemed to strain.

WTF??? She gets to start the song over? Maybe she wants to be a film actress where you can do that.

I think Brooke lost what ever she learned from ALW

I think this is tougher than Brooke thought it would be. She has seemed ready to go home for weeks now.

I am mixed up about Brooke. I think it was so unfortunate she started over again...but I did feelthe emotions of that song. I thought her singing was right on for it. But yeah it was uncomfortable cos you know she was distressed. I do think narrowing the theme to ALW really made Broadway theme just that much harder. If you are not familiar with his work its tough to choose the song. I really think the song was perfect for her...and in the end I did feel the emotions, but she got too nervous.

sigh two of my three faves didn;t do well...hoping David C is good. He takes the pimp spot.

David A - same old same old. Everything he sings sounds the same. Will he get called on it - no.

I got into an argument with someone who claimed Clay only sang ballads on AI, and had toremind them it wasa judges myth where if they say something often enough, people believe them.

Nope, didn't call him. I find his low notes breathy and I did not like the version for the boy who is the one to beat. Accordingto Randy

I like what David did to this song...I just don't like his voice, I also think its breathy somewhat.

I didn't like the ending big note...too predictable but I liked the softer ooooo...wow I am so surprised Simon didn't like it.

Oh dear, I agreed with Simon, David A was quite forgettable. And pitchy a bit. Randy and Pauler really drank the kool-aid. I suppose Simon may just be revving up voters, tho.

I think the chorus was too high for Carly, and the backups almost drowned her out.

That being said, I loved her song, loved it. She looked great, too, beautiful dress.

OK Vocally Carly tore up JC Superstar but why is she smiling? This song is supposed to be bitter and taunting..she didn;t listen to ALW that she has to connect with the lyrics.

She was quite shouty...but thats the vocal style

Yeah, I wanted to like Carly - but I think she was yelling too.

Hmmm. Who woulda guessed? Broadway is fucking HARD, judges!

<sigh>

Push come to shove, David Cook is really NOT a great vocalist - in fact, he barely makes good.

This was a lame night.

I have listened to JC superstar a million times, it does not call for yelling, it calls for passion. Aparently some singers don't know the difference. Carly doesn't hold the notes, she can hit them, but leaves them flat. And she thinks loud is yelling.

David C did the song as it should be done and did the best he could with his voice. I do agree it was the best performance of the night, he could sing it on Broadway because he knows about melody and key but does not have a great voice, it would not a a center piece song, but a move the play along song.. I still like Syesha because she had fun,but there was one key that hurt my ears and she hit it again and again.

NAHHH...sigh...he had some good moments but the song is just too big for him...I didn;t like his soft moments...he was pitchy and his acting didn;t really carry those moments off. He looked uncomfortable...

I had some high hopes for Jason and David cos there are some ALW songs that are not that popular but would've been great for their voices but they went with the popular choices and just all wrong for them.

Brooke had a perfect choice for her voice and emotional connection to songs but her nerves got the better of her.

Archie...was just forgettable...although I did like the pop version of that song, it just became ordinary.

Sayesha probably had the overall best performance, but she just leaves me cold.

Carly...good JC superstar but in the end may be too shouty.

I think what will happen this week is that the fanbases will have to get working and the ones with most fans will be safe.

my guess is the three women will be in the bottom and either Sayesha or Brooke will go.

If David C had some real vocals, I would give it to him...but he didn't. He and Syesha came closest but I frankly will be happy never to hear any of these performances again.

yup I won;t be checking out any of the performances on you tube or itunes... what a waste.