American Idol 7

Ansamcw

Sorry, the tour book was split 10 ways.

I think Kim was sick for a longtime and she was not in some scenes because she was contageous.

At the merchandise table, Clay's stuff was most in demand, I think most of the tickets were sold because of Clay, the boards all had him disappearing forever after the tour. There was an urgency about seeing him. That is where I got to be amazed because when I tallked to spotlightlover , I found out how much traveling she was doing on her own to see Clay. She had flown to Pennsylvania, rented a car, drove to NJ and was driving down to Washington... I didn't even fly to visti my sister for the show. Then I went to the Ai party and found all kinds of people upgrading with extra tickets! I had no idea!

It was so bad, that by half way into the tour, Clay needed a separate meet and greet because of the mobs and he had a body guard pretty much of the time - Jerome has been with Clay a long, long time. Fans would come into the meet and greet room and ignore the other idols and since they were lined up in elimination order, they would leave after meeting Clay and not continue on to Ruben. But I think the unruly mobs were why they separated him.

I remember hearing Eric Clapton say once that the longer he made music, the more he appreciated simplicity. The seemingly simple Beatles songs are amazingly difficult to sing well, and the difficult, esoteric ones like "A Day in the Life" and "Back in the USSR" are impossible.

I remember way back in the 60's when my future brother-in-law (guitar player who adored the Beatles) was playing lots of Donovan stuff like Season of the Witch, and Cream riffs and the like ... I asked him to play Beatles one day, and he said that the Beatles had such inventive and difficult to learn chord changes that it was at that point beyond his capability. And those songs sounded so simple.

Interesting. Ah ha.

When Randy said "Here, There, and Everywhere" was a "safe choice" and too easy, a gazillion Clay fans leaped through their TV screens and smacked him. This is when I knew that Randy Jackson doesn't know shit.

I sat on the couch to watch AI and promptly fell asleep and woke to catch Dave Cook and wondered who's version of Buillie Jean he was singing. He definitelly out daughtry daughtry - in getting credit for other people's arrangements. Is it a singing contest or an arranging contest SImon. in the small playbacks, was David A quite as annoying as the clip sounded? Have we another winner here? Ramiele was screaming at me, I don't like being screamed at and doesn't Carly own any outfits with sleeves? Maybe watching the show throughthe summary clips is the way to go.

Now to go in and be a little less jsut wake up crabby - I hear that Cook credited the song version in the clip I slept through. Still there is no excuse for Paula wearing fingerless gloved. I have a pair of fingerless gloves, with a pull over mitten top for walking the dog in winter and being able to pick up her ship. Was Paula picking up dog poop?

David Cook was good, but when his amiable grin slips into a smirk, it puts me off. But that doesn't matter on the radio.

Read a good line yesterday - if AI was just a singing contest it would be on the radio.

Cook sounds exactly like all the other folks who sound exactly like Cook. He should fit right in successfully.

LOVED Michael. He is my favorite this year.

David A. is very pitchy, but I assume he is not meant to appeal to me, personally, because watching an 18 YO boy is just not my thing.

Love Chickezie, I hope he gets a good career out of this. He seems to really really upset the judges with his popularity, which is quite a bonus.

Carly was good, couldn't tell if that last note was on purpose, but it is funny how the singers are supposed to make it their own and then when they do, it seems to jar the judges.

Everybody else - forgettable.

Speaking of forgettable, when Brooke fecked up her song, her recovery was hailed as professional.

Ron the God of Irony is sharpening up his tridents, he is thinking of attempting a three-fer on national TV, with Tsathy popping up and disposing of the skewered "judges".

Honestly, I now watch the judges for manipulation, they have lost their objectivity somewhere in the desert, long ago.

It would actually be kinda cool if they just made the last thing on the show the voting order that should be followed.

OK, since KimL is going to sing tonight, here is a link I just got to an interview she did yesterday. Evidently she has moved to Hudson Valley (NY?) and has opened a restaurant. Lots of singers and celebrities open restaurants, that's cool and all that. But, given her penchant for showing up everywhere promoting everything, it would be AWESOME if she not only plugged her new single and CD tonight, but said "Eat at Kim's!!!!!!" and handed out coupons to everyone in the top-however-many-it-is-now.

Bear in mind that I watch The Soup just for the Ryan S. jabs.

KimL interview

It's sad, the only song worth listening to was Cook's Billie Jean, and I was giving him credit for an original arrangement and then this:

I still like Cook's rendition - actually I like it better than Connell's but I have to take back some undeserved credit because I thought he created the arrangement...

And I would have thought the "judges" would be more on the ball as well...

Hey, he found that arrangment, and the unique arrangment for Hello as well. And both were credited on the show, either by Ryan or during the interview segments. There's nothing to stop the others from doing the same, but no one else has done it.

I'm not really watching the show this season, but I did get to hear a snippet of Billie Jean last night (during a commercial break from Keith Olberman). I was impressed, if nothing else, because it took me almost the entire time to figure out what the song was. So, the arrangement got me.

Thing is....didn't AI go through this a few seasons back with DAUGHTRY!!!!!1!!1!! ? Except that they didn't credit the arrangement.... At least it sounds like they learned their lesson.

Yeah, I found out later that they did credit the arrangement properly - but hell, the only thing I actually watch and/or listen to are the songs - I have the TV on in my bedroom, wait until the music starts, give the contestants 10 whole seconds to capture my attention, and if they haven't done it by then, I'm gone. So I didn't hear the credit. Or what the judges said.

They simply aren't capturing my attention...

I'm not really watching the show this season, but I did get to hear a snippet of Billie Jean last night (during a commercial break from Keith Olberman). I was impressed, if nothing else, because it took me almost the entire time to figure out what the song was. So, the arrangement got me.

Thing is....didn't AI go through this a few seasons back with DAUGHTRY!!!!!1!!1!! ? Except that they didn't credit the arrangement.... At least it sounds like they learned their lesson.

billy jean as in Michael jackson's billie jean and is there a you tube link?

Yeah, I found out later that they did credit the arrangement properly - but hell, the only thing I actually watch and/or listen to are the songs - I have the TV on in my bedroom, wait until the music starts, give the contestants 10 whole seconds to capture my attention, and if they haven't done it by then, I'm gone. So I didn't hear the credit. Or what the judges said.

They simply aren't capturing my attention...

Hey! You watch just the way I do!! I only know they credited the arrangement cause I read it at the CH, but I'd also read in advance that it was a borrowing. :cryingwlaughter: Damn good performance though.

of Chris Cornell's, IMO... if you love you some screamin' guitar bluesy shit...and do I ever! David kicked it too. I loved it. A lot!

He's my fave on the show, then Chikezie. I tune in on purpose to see what they do. The others, sometimes I like 'em; sometimes I don't. Don't worry if I miss their performances tho.

Did anyone else catch Kim Locke on the results show last night? It was the first time I've watched this season.....so I was able to put some faces to names. I thought Kim did ok but her hair and makeup really threw me, not to mention the dress! She got a really long and detailed intro, too, which showed a clip of Clay briefly.

I never liked Christian on Project Runway, I thought he did the same 2 designs over and over. I have to assume that Kim could not fit in the extremely skinny pant and huge fluffy tops which would make her look like the stuffed sausage bottom would make her look like she was exploding fromthe top and that she vetoed the million layer dresses that would make her look like a snowman. I also assume Christian had no idea what to do with a real woman vs uber thin model, after all he told one of the models not to eat the day before the show so she did not look fat.

I saw her, but got distracted and didn't see the end, did she talk to the judges?

I loved Christian but he designs for his size and he is the size of a cracker. I was glad he won but really hope he can design his clothes to fit a real woman..you know more than size 1.

Anyway, I DVRed this for mom so will have to take a peak. People on TWoP seemed to have liked her performance and we know how unforgiving they can be. And someone posted her restaurant so I looked at the menu.. looks good...but I'm sure she won't get Claymate business who just happen to be coming to NYC in droves. LOL.

Oh man, I'm a little tired of the whining that "oh noes, what's-her-head will do Whitney's horrible screaming version of IWALY"...

Hell, if Dolly Parton likes Whitney doing it (and Dolly definitely doesn't think Whitney's version is crap) - and 50 other billion people love Whitney's version, it is neither "Screaming" nor "Yelling" nor "Bad". Say what you want about Whitney - the girl has more singing talent than 99.9% of the people in this world. And sings/sang in a way that speaks to millions. A single that managed to sell 10 million copies. Worldwide. It's a great song. Hell, Dolly hit the charts in the 70's, 80's and 90's with the damn thing. But it took Whitney's version to take it where it is. Whitney is not "screaming". Or "yelling". Melisma is another one of those words I would like to beat someone to death with. There is a place for it in music (as the technique has been around since before the Gregorian chants). It's hard to do right, much less on the level that Mariah and Whitney (and Clay) can - which is one of the reasons most fail miserably when they try. One doesn't have to like it, but I'm tired of it being treated like a red-headed step child. Clay is probably one of the few singers who could really hold his own with Mariah and Whitney and Celine through not only the melisma but the chord changes and other complexities of what they sing.

I love Dolly's version (of course, I also loved "Best Little Whorehouse" in its entirety, stupid as it was). And when Whitney is on, she is ON. She and Clay are a glory note god and goddess and I love them for it.

Though I bet Simon will make an unfunny joke about her boobs.

Ok, rant over.

say it loud!

it may not be easy to remember past the crackheadedness but Whitney can SANG..not scream, yell, shout, but sang. And I'm with you...there's a whole bunch of music I can't stand, like rock for the most part, but I don't diss it because just because I don't appreciate it, doesn't make it any less.

I still listen to my Whitney CDs.

Watching tonight 'cause I like Dolly -

Brooke - Lord help me, I gotta agree with Simon and Randy - her performance was just a hair off - and I didn't feel her connection to the song at all. I need some sort of sincerity with my country!

oh who is supposed to do IWALY...

I think the only reason why I got sick on whitneys IWALY is that it got played sooooo much in Philippine radio at its height... very much like that Titanic song...but taken for what it is...yup Whitney is a fantastic singer...when she is able that is.

I really thought Brooke did well with Jolene...Simon would never like simple country arrangement...

Wow...David ...that was fantastic...thats a Dolly Parton song??? pretty cool

he's my favorite!!!!!

Wel, I walked in while she sang. I see Cokk is singing "his own arrangement" of little Sparrow. It was nice, but I don't know any other versions, so Ihave to judge it alone. He sings it well enough. I crack up taht Randy thinks he is showing his range - I think he is showing songs that stay within his range. He can sing on key, no small feat on this show, but I just don't get the range stuff. ETA - I think it was a very folksy song, lots of folk singers sing in that style and Dolly can do folksy as well as country.

Uh oh - she is singing county-ish..... Right now it sounds like a Dolly imitation. She just does not have a big enough voice for these songs.