#49: I am a fan of the man...pure and simple!

Thread Title  

48 members have voted

1. 1. What should be the next thread title at FCA?

• I still don't have money I just go anyway!
    • I'm hooked .... like a fish.
    • I think there's always going to be something big coming when it comes to Clay.
    • Not only did he take his life back he took the power from them.
    • He is large and in charge and I love it!
    • He puts a happy face on my heart!

Hmmmmm! I wonder if Salt mine stocks are down.

New York Post

New ‘Rock’ stars

What do Mary J. Blige, Clay Aiken and Elvis Costello have in common? All three are the latest celebs to make cameos on “30 Rock.” According to a spy, the trio was on the show’s set Wednesday, hanging out with Tina Fey and company. “They were psyched to meet Tina,” our insider reports. “But it was Alec Baldwin who had everyone cracking up — that guy is hilarious!”

IIT :lol:.....KEWLL!! But someone needs a fact-checker once again. I don't imagine Clay was all that psyched to meet Tina Fey, because he already has....

I dont' watch 30 Rock (or much of anything else on TV) but if Clay's going to be in it, I'll start!

Which is kind of the point, I guess. :)

30 Rock, bottlecap!! :clap: finally

*waves to everyone at FCA* :)

*waves back to laughn*, I've missed you. ..... And chach, I missed you too while you were away.

I'm with djs on the "site" thing. It jumped out at me too. But the giveaway was the phrase "his career is not nearly over".... that was as good as an official ID for me, no need for salt. No professional would make a comment like that. (Off topic: I wonder who would have predicted a month ago that Chris Brown's career would now be over?) I just don't think that was "nearly" a professional comment.

FWIW and it's not worth much since I doubt the underlying story: Non-compete clauses are applicable to breaking a contract, not fulfulling one. And if RCA initiated the divorce, they wouldn't have a legal leg to stand on with a non-compete clause. However, if Clay broke the contract a non-compete could come into play.

Back to real life .... Clay is making me happy. 30 Rock rocks and I'm thrilled Clay will be on. I don't watch it regularly, but when I have seen it, it's been outrageously funny. Or, to qualify, Alec Baldwin may be the funniest man on TV right now.

Hey, if Clay's gonna be on my TV, I'll be watching. I've never seen 30 Rock, but isn't it one of the shows that some fans have been wishing he'd guest on for a while?

Yup! It's very funny, smart comedy. My daughter and I started watching a few months ago and just love it. In TO they air two episodes back to back on Thursday nights (rerun followed by a new ep), so it's easy to keep up with the show.

They've had guest stars on that you wouldn't expect to see on TV (Elaine Stritch as Alec Baldwin's mother) and it's been hilarious. I can see Tina Fey writing a terrific role for Clay.

ETA:
canfly

Ya ain't that tactful at
NNHB
, lol. Kolobok_Laie_haha.gif

NNHB?

Since CF was here and so rudely ignored you (she has no manners), I'll answer your question. NNHB is hers and Sparky's board and it stands for Nearly No Holds Barred. She has the link in her posts cuz she keeps trying to capture people and make them post over there. That's how she got me. Bunch of heathens over there so be careful. They'll corrupt you. That's what happened to me.

HAHA she PM'd me the information! DUH I should have known since I actually joined it shortly after it first opened... just didn't make the connection.

I know I am late to the party again.

I've used "cute" and heard it used. I guess it depends on the guy,I have never found the "macho" guys attractive

Well, I wasn't born in Australia, so when I got that reaction from my BF and then my Aussie friend warned me guys hate being called cute, it was programmed in my brain. I didn't necessarily go for macho guys either, I simply didn't dare risk it again. That was in Perth though, but I didn't hear it much in Sydney either. I think it might have become more acceptable because of TV shows but I personally don't often hear it being used, or perhaps I did but was "switched off".

Well yes, it seems to have been in usage with a different meaning but not by me. My mother heard me say it in my early teens, nearly fell over, explained the meaning and
forbid
me to say it again.
:blush:
I still can't bring myself to use it
:blush:
:28:

........and that was ten years ago!............. :laught31: :laught31:

I had no idea there was another meaning to 'spunk', I've heard men AND women described as "spunky".

Were you allowed to use the term "bugger"? Because it was used as a "swear word", I decided to look up the meaning and had the same reaction as your Mum. So I never used it again even though I was told it is a well-worn Aussie slang and should not be taken literally when used in the same context as "oh sh*t".

I am with you all on the hugebucketofsaltBMGinsider. One thing that struck me though was about the 6 month "gag order". Does anyone else think that this might have a grain of truth? Maybe something like this written into the initial contract? Like when people sell a business and agree to not open up in competition in the area or within a certain time frame.

Well, it sounds like an informed opinion to me, and yes the "tied up and gagged" for 6 months is entirely appropriate as a parting/separation clause.

*tries to staple laughn to the board*

*uses SuperGlue instead, 'cause it's less painful*

I'm with djs on the "site" thing. It jumped out at me too. But the giveaway was the phrase "his career is not nearly over".... that was as good as an official ID for me, no need for salt. No professional would make a comment like that. (Off topic: I wonder who would have predicted a month ago that Chris Brown's career would now be over?) I just don't think that was "nearly" a professional comment.

Yeah, me too.

Hey, if Clay's gonna be on my TV, I'll be watching. I've never seen 30 Rock, but isn't it one of the shows that some fans have been wishing he'd guest on for a while?

I think it is. I've never seen it either, but I seem to remember that there's a character that people thought Tina Fey may have modeled Clay after -- kind of geeky, rumors swirling about his sexuality, etc. But I can't remember the characters name. Anyway, I'll be looking forward to it.

Another thing I'll say one more time: as much as I love Clay's singing voice, I do think he can have a strong career in television, and could be easily successful regularly on my TV. I'm not sure if I totally want him to do a comedy show every week...but I gotta say, it would be cheap for me, no flying to concerts! LOL!

Day off today!!! Woohoo!!! Time for some breakfast, and they I think I'm going to reorganize my pantry. There's twenty gazillion other things I SHOULD do, but that's what I want to do. Neener.

ETA:

Well, it sounds like an informed opinion to me, and yes the "tied up and gagged" for 6 months is entirely appropriate as a parting/separation clause.

The problem with it is, it didn't come off as opinion, it came off as fact. When opinions start being touted as fact (and that's happened a LOT in this fandom), I usually run for the hills.

I've never seen 30 Rock, but isn't it one of the shows that some fans have been wishing he'd guest on for a while?

I think it is. I've never seen it either, but I seem to remember that there's a character that people thought Tina Fey may have modeled Clay after -- kind of geeky, rumors swirling about his sexuality, etc. But I can't remember the characters name. Anyway, I'll be looking forward to it.

That would be

played by Jack McBrayer. "Kenneth" made the news a lot recently after the media compared Bobby Jindal to Kenneth the Page, after Jindal's disastrous response to Obama's speech to Congress. Jack McBrayer even made a humorous video disassociating himself with Jindal. Myself, I never got the Kenneth/Clay comparison at all.

The problem with it is, it didn't come off as opinion, it came off as fact. When opinions start being touted as fact (and that's happened a LOT in this fandom), I usually run for the hills.

I've used 'opinion' because people tend to digest information and give it out as their opinion, their experience, their interpretation. No one, unless they were a part of that meeting with Clay and have a copy of the contract, would know ALL the facts. No one can possibly know exactly what will happen after 6 months.

ETA: I am not worried about Clay's career in any way or shape because, to me, one thing about Clay that stands out is his ability to use his head in terms of what's good and right for himself and those around him. The way he conducted himself during those months with AI and the tour and the setting up TBAF is what I am going by. I was very impressed with what has happened in the past in matters where he was in control. I am even impressed with his decision to have Parker and his timing for coming out. (The only time I was concerned was when OMWH was launched and there was no real marketing campaign and no tour to support the album. But there were reasons for why that happened that way).

Yup! It's very funny, smart comedy. My daughter and I started watching a few months ago and just love it. In TO they air two episodes back to back on Thursday nights (rerun followed by a new ep), so it's easy to keep up with the show.

They've had guest stars on that you wouldn't expect to see on TV (Elaine Stritch as Alec Baldwin's mother) and it's been hilarious. I can see Tina Fey writing a terrific role for Clay.

Oh please let this be true! I can't wait for Clay to do comedy on TV, he would be brilliant at it, I think he is way funnier than Kimmel.

Myself, I never got the Kenneth/Clay comparison at all.

I don't feel there is a big connection except for the parody that some make of Clay's accent, and the way some people believe Clay is clueless, but the way Kenneth acts like a dumb goober and then gets away with being really really snarky reminds me of Clay.

I love that show. It is on at a weird time for me, because the only other Thursday show I watch is Dragon's Den on BBCA which is on at the same time. But Dragon's Den is in reruns, so I don't even have to switch back and forth now!

Heee.....actually last night DD was replaced by a show wherein two nice older ladies toured brothels of the world.

There are so many strong personalities on 30 Rock that it sometimes struggles to be an ensemble cast, and of course IMO Alec Baldwin is brilliant.

I always love to see Rip Torn, too.

I've used 'opinion' because people tend to digest information and give it out as their opinion, their experience, their interpretation. No one, unless they were a part of that meeting with Clay and have a copy of the contract, would know ALL the facts. No one can possibly know exactly what will happen after 6 months.

The thing is, in the history of the Clay Nation, ideas that started out as "opinions" get repeated and repeated and repeated without question until they get accepted as "fact", even if they have no basis in reality. I think the reaction you're seeing here at FCA is due to many posters having lived through that kind of stuff in the past. Because of that, I'm wary of most fan-based pontificaters - maybe even to the point of being too skeptical at times.

The thing is, in the history of the Clay Nation, ideas that started out as "opinions" get repeated and repeated and repeated without question until they get accepted as "fact", even if they have no basis in reality. I think the reaction you're seeing here at FCA is due to many posters having lived through that kind of stuff in the past. Because of that, I'm wary of most fan-based pontificaters - maybe even to the point of being too skeptical at times.

I understand your point totally, but then shouldn't everyone by now know, EVEN if they THINK something sounds entirely valid, to not take it as gospel until Clay actually makes a statement? You see, with the whole gay thing, that was how I dealt with it despite people sending me YouTube clips of Clay that they considered were "gay". I told them that unless they had personal proof, it made no difference to me. And really, even after he came out, it made no difference about how I felt about him as a person and as an artist. So although I tend to believe what Mrs BMG said, it makes no difference to me because until Clay makes a statement about his plans, nothing matters at all. The only real hint is that we can expect nothing to happen for at least 6 months.

ETA: Michael Jackson for X Factor 2009? Gosh, according to this article, Simon considers Britney something special ... in XF 2008, Britney, Mariah and Beyonce were guest stars, and Britney was the only one who lip-synched on a show where everyone else sang live. I don't particularly like Beyonce but at least she delivered a great performance live. Mariah's voice wasn't quite right, but at least she sang. I don't get the Britney 'superstar' thing, her "appearance" drew the largest audience of all and Simon was thrilled to have her on the show.

EATA:

Ding, ding, ding! That's it exactly. I can see this blog comment posting as becoming fact in about 20 seconds. And it's not that I don't necessarily WANT this to be true, but it's the idea that things being repeated over and over take on a life of their own.

Thanks kf for giving me the name of the character Kenneth. Again, I've not seen the show, so I know I'm talking out of my butt here, but I always thought the Kenneth/Clay comparison was simply because they both seemed proud of who they are, even if there was all kinds of stuff floating around them. But as I said...what do I know?

BTW...April 16 is a Thursday. Just sayin'.

ETA: claytonic, I understand you...but when it comes to Clay's career, it seems all bets are off. IMO there are some that worry endlessly about Clay's career, so when they hear any little tidbit, no matter who it is from, it becomes a basis for reality. So no, not EVERYONE has gotten on the clue train. Don't think it will ever happen either.

Clay Aiken on 30 Rock? Yay! Acting! I loved the bit he did on Scrubs! Maybe someone will see his aptitude for comedy and give him his own show... I dream big!

Also CANN picked up that little article about my inkjet project--HOLY CROW! They musta researched me pretty good! CANN article I don't know how they found that stuff out about me. :o

ETA:
claytonic
, I understand you...but when it comes to Clay's career, it seems all bets are off. IMO there are some that worry endlessly about Clay's career, so when they hear any little tidbit, no matter who it is from, it becomes a basis for reality. So no, not EVERYONE has gotten on the clue train. Don't think it will ever happen either.

The way I see it is that just as Scarlett said, there will never be a moment in time EVER that no one is upset with Clay about something. And the same applies in terms of his career, there will be a minority group who considers it their job to angst about it, but it really has nothing to do with Clay, worrying about Clay's career is simply a symptom of their anxiety. It is only natural for fans of an artist to wonder and discuss his career, and the internet has created a phenomenon in terms of discussions between fans spread far and wide. I remember the first series of Australian Idol, I belonged to a discussion group that included professional singers, who didn't give their name but talked about the business and how the contestant we were supporting should approach her career, especially when the contestant made it to the Top 3 and then had to drop out due to her doctor's recommendation (nodules). Everyone expresses their passion in a different way, and there is nothing that those who take the "worry" route can do except to indulge in their concerns. They have no power to change anything one way or the other.

Clayzycoffin: You're a champ gurlllll! , I was horrified to discover that Australia is one of the few developed countries that continues to allow electronic waste to be dumped in landfill. I am trying to spread the word that computers harbor toxic chemicals that can leach out into groundwater and that there are options for electronic waste.

claytonic, I agree with everything you say there. I know it's not about Clay to these people, it's about them. I guess my point is that I don't understand WHY they worry so much about Clay. In a sense, I do understand -- IMO some are afraid that Clay is going to leave, never to sing a note or appear on the stage again. But that's why I keep saying I have faith in Clay. I can't find myself worrying about Clay, so it always flummoxes me when I see people worrying much more about Clay (who probably has more money than all of us at FCA put together, and IMO will have a career longer than many of our lifetimes) than their own lives. Heck, I don't worry about my husband all that much, and he LIVES with me.

I also understand the idea of speculating about his career. Shoot, a few years ago, I would have been right there in the thick of it. Not any more. As I said earlier, there were just too many instances where "opinions" morphed into "fact" at the drop of a hat, and I just stopped.

And for every person who is going to worry about Clay's career, there's probably someone like me, who just doesn't get it. Their viewpoint is valid; so is mine.

Ding, ding, ding! That's it exactly. I can see this blog comment posting as becoming fact in about 20 seconds. And it's not that I don't necessarily WANT this to be true, but it's the idea that things being repeated over and over take on a life of their own.

I think, for those who have not been around from the beginning (i.e. 2003), some of us will come off as overly sensitive or defensive or skeptical at times, and maybe it will seem unwarranted. I don't think there's really any way to properly explain it except to say "I guess you had to be there". That's how many of us ended up here, at FCA....it was (and is) a safe haven. We've been around the block, and we've become a bit jaded with the fandom itself. Not with Clay! Huge distinction there. So whenever someone expresses their opinion as if it were fact, it sends up a red flag for me (and others).

Aww, clazy, I'm so proud of you. You did good.

justclay... :yeahthat:Clazy... CONGRATS!!! and thanks for "doing something" when you are crazy busy!

30 Rock, bottlecap!! :clap: finally

*waves to everyone at FCA* :)

laughn.... glad laughn is superglued to the board ... woman, you're the reason I'm on this board, so hang around, will ya' :BlowKiss: I got hooked on reading your Jennifer in the Morning series under FUN, FUN, FUN/Creative Writing... hysterical!

I would watch Clay if he were on Regis and Kelly.

Now, THAT's devotion.

wando... devotion, indeed. However, tho I would watch, I'd make sure it was on TIVO so I could fast forward thru that K person. :cryingwlaughter:

muski... around the block... you???? Naw! :hahaha: