#13 The Aiken Experience. There's nothing else like it.

ldyjocelyn

Thread Title Poll  

46 members have voted

1. 1. What should be the next thread title on the FCA board?

• He's my happy.
    • Doesn't want to leave RCA.
    • Lullabied...All.night.long Slooooowwwww
    • We do a lot of slow songs because that's what we're good at
    • Krispy Kreme, macaroni and cheese, and sloooooow songs.
    • God, I love his whole damn being!
    • The most adorable, lovable, huggable almost devilish creature that melts my heart .
    • It's never enough with Clay Aiken.
    • Doing the backstroke in a fondue ocean breathing through a cheese straw.
    • Well, it's really no wonder that next thing he knew she was all up on him screaming "Yeah! Yeah!"

yeah, checking the flights to Chicago around Xmas..it ain't looking good. All the cheap flights are gone. Anybody going to minneapolis - at least that's two shows. And while I'm at it I guess I'll look into New Jersey. I guess I need to make a decision in the next two weeks..dang..this wasn't even on my mind until today. Play do I fly into and out of Newark?

Not surprisingly, Clay's take off on "Sexy Back" has finally hit the mainstream media.

Insider

No one can say CLAY AIKEN takes himself too seriously.

"We all must embrace our inner dork," the singer recently told Southern Florida's Sun Sentinel.

"I'm actually going to do -- God help me for saying this -- with [the orchestra], a little bit of 'SexyBack.' We're going to do a little medley of songs that people wouldn't expect to hear with an orchestra. I know that it's not going to be cool," he adds. "I have no problem making fun of myself."

"I could never pull songs like that off without knowing where my place is, and it's not as JUSTIN TIMBERLAKE."

Clay will perform on Saturday at the Kravis Center in West Palm Beach.

As a preview, check out this YouTube.com clip of Clay performing JT's "SexyBack"!

And yes, it's fan video.

New Jersey - flying into Newark is good. We pretty much all go to that airport. New Brunswick is about 1/2 hour south, Morristown about 30 minutes west, Red Bank 1 hour south. We don't do 4 hour drives between concerts. That would leave 1 day between concerts to visit New York City for Christmas, check the stores, catch the Rockettes, etc. if you come for the Red Bank, Morristown concerts

New Brunswick is way earlier to be considered part of a triad, unless you are doing PA, and then you would fly into Philly.

And yes, it's fan video.

And yes, JennaZ, I cringed watching it, imagining the reactions and comments of many who will see it.

Go ahead and blast me, all ye who love the campiness of SexyBack! I can take it. You will NOT convince me, though, that a casual NJU person seeing just that clip won't have mucho ammunition to reinforce whatever FU tabloid-fed BS they choose/have chosen to believe....

Too bad....in context with the "I'm not cool" banter and the whole concept of the "Classics", it's a great schtick....I just don't see this as being a positive peek into Clay's concert or Clay for the 'average, everyday' citizen....YVMV...

I'm glad CLay doesn't give a shit about all that, though. I will try to follow his example.

While I'm working on that, however, I will continue to follow HIM! :hubbahubba:

muski, I can understand, and maybe even sympathize a bit. But, my question for you is this: why do you care what the NJU fans think? And I'm asking that as a serious question. I just feel like I need a little more insight on why. Again, I don't mean this as a denegration.

Hey, wait a minute....we need a new 'tour' emoticon that says "Clay Holiday Tour" or "Let Clay Climb Down Your Chimney" or something. :whistling-1:

Oh, I think we definitely need the chimney emoticon.

:cryingwlaughter:

I'm seriously considering DC...and if I do that one, it surely will be my ONLY one at those ticket prices. But I think I'd be able to do the trip itself cheaply---my company would end up paying for my airfare and I'd get a hotel room free for a couple of nights from the site visits...and since it's on a weekend night and all....

:scream:

But I am NOT going to go into :Tour4: about it. Nope. Not gunna do it. I promised myself after this summer tour ticket fiasco....I'll take my chances...and if it doesn't happen, well...I'll still be there to do my work stuff.

Yep...that's what I'm gunna do.

:lilredani:

Is it not a tad unusual for the Insider to embed a fan youtube video? Not that I'm complaining. I love me some campy Clay!

I cringed watching it, imagining the reactions and comments of many who will see it.

Go ahead and blast me, all ye who love the campiness of SexyBack! I can take it. You will NOT convince me, though, that a casual NJU person seeing just that clip won't have mucho ammunition to reinforce whatever FU tabloid-fed BS they choose/have chosen to believe....

Hey, if they don't get the humour in it, it's their loss, as far as I'm concerned. I think the write up clearly conveys the message that Clay is making fun of himself, and doesn't take it seriously. I'm not blasting you, but I also don't worry about what NJU people will think, necessarily, either.

Christmas tour venues and prices.....I don't see that the prices are much different from the summer tour. There is quite a wide variety of prices at different venues.......for instance I paid $100 face value for Syracuse and only $38 face value for Chautauaqua. And while the DC venue has the highest Christmas seats at $127, I think I only paid about $65 for Kalamazoo.

I hope that the OFC posts the whole schedule soon, so those of us who are trying to figure out the best options can make our plans. Unless they announce something in Detroit, Kalamazoo is by far the closest venue for me at around 4.5 hours. I'm doing Merrillville because I'm sentimental that way, and last year's concert was so special. Plus, it looks to me like it might be the last one. It's about a 6 or 7 hour drive, depending on road conditions.

My concern is that the person who posted that video may not have gotten permission from the videographer - a very bad practice that some people have. I have never posted anything by a clacker without permission and that is not alwauys easy to find since some of them have left the fandom.

I do admit to posting news clips however.

Edited by playbiller

muski, I can understand, and maybe even sympathize a bit. But, my question for you is this: why do you care what the NJU fans think? And I'm asking that as a serious question. I just feel like I need a little more insight on why. Again, I don't mean this as a denegration.

Hey, if they don't get the humour in it, it's their loss, as far as I'm concerned. I think the write up clearly conveys the message that Clay is making fun of himself, and doesn't take it seriously. I'm not blasting you, but I also don't worry about what NJU people will think, necessarily, either.

Don't want to deadhorse2.gif but I just want to address questions here. ldyjocelyn, you asked why I care what NJU fans think...I tried to explain that I know I SHOULD follow Clay's example and NOT care, but I haven't been able to do that yet.

When I watched that clip and when I see Clay doing the hands and facial expressions to this part of the medley, all I see is effeminate gestures and stereotyped affectations of---excuse the terminology---the "flaming homosexual" characteristics that for some sad reason people with undue media reach to the masses love to attribute to him. I and all of us who know and love and follow his career and life know that he is rendering his "Oh, look at me pretending to be sexy" schtick and laughing at the whole mess of what's cool on radio, etc. But from the first time he changed his approach to this segment from being faux sexy to being absurdly Keith-like and over-the-top...I actually don't know WHAT he's going for, to tell you the truth!...but I haven't enjoyed it as much and I LOVE the guy!

Most likely, no two people seeing that clip, whether in person or via the internet, are going to agree on its effect or its effectiveness. I'm just saying that if I did NOT 'know' Clay Aiken other than from the typical type of headlines the print rags and television rags seem to enjoy highlighting..if I did not already know who and what he is, does, believe, etc.....and I saw that clip, even after reading the article, I would not come away from watching with the 'message' that I think Clay is trying to deliver. I think of some of the people in my office watching this clip and seeing it only as confirmation of 'what they knew all along'.

Yes, that's absurd and some people are just not going to like Clay, however he presents himself. I know that. I'm just saying that for me, this way of snarking on the cool guys just doesn't work.

Doesn't change the fact that :DoClay: in all kinds of ways... :hubbahubba:

And that's all.

Edited by muskifest

muski, not piling on you here, but honestly? I can see what could be seen as 'effeminate gestures and stereotypical affectations' throughout the entire concert. The SexyBack thing I honestly can't see as being any worse than the times he throws himself wholeheartedly into MOAM - scrunchy faces, flailing arms and all. Though if you can't separate your personal enjoyment (or lack thereof) of the schtick from the way you're afraid others may see, that's understandable. In a way, I think it goes to the way I will learn to like some songs that I initially hate if I hear it over and over again - I'm being influenced by outside sources.

And yes, it's fan video.

And yes, JennaZ, I cringed watching it, imagining the reactions and comments of many who will see it.

Too bad....in context with the "I'm not cool" banter and the whole concept of the "Classics", it's a great schtick....I just don't see this as being a positive peek into Clay's concert or Clay for the 'average, everyday' citizen....YVMV...

I'm glad CLay doesn't give a shit about all that, though. I will try to follow his example.

While I'm working on that, however, I will continue to follow HIM! :hubbahubba:

I didn't cringe watching it, but it sure gave me pause to think what the NJU would think, that is assuming they would stumble on it. I'm with you on this, muskifest. Sorry ldyjocelyn and lickiest1 .

I do worry about what the NJU might think. Last couple of years when he toured he always said it was the same 5,000 people following him from tour to tour. This year he has said it is the same 3,000 people following him from tour to tour. I worry because I want him to attract new fans. Next tour I would like to hear him say the same 15-20 thousand people are following him. Not the same 500-1000 fans following him. You know? Of course if Clay isn't worried and doesn't care then I don't either, but I think he does worry and has already said how ticket sales for this tour are down. He said in the M&G that putting his videos on YouTube is not effective advertising and promotion for him. Especially when some fans put up some of the most unflattering stuff of him. I have actually seen a lot worse than this one. I'll not loose any sleep over worrying but I still want the best for him.

I think when a not just us person hears the name Clay Aiken, they remember a young kid with a great voice. This video, viewed out of context without reading the aforementioned article, doesn't show that IMHO. It shows him acting silly and singing like a 12 year old girl. Making unflattering faces. If we are being honest. If I wasn't an already invested fan I would more than likely not become one watching that or similiar type clack. But I am that invested so I will love him irregardless and leave the worrying to him. That's where it belongs, anyway.

I'm sure glad to see everyone back from their trips and thanks for all the recaps. I think I will pass on the Christmas concerts. That is unless he comes to the midwest like he said this tour would. :cryingwlaughter: So far all I see is Indiana, everything else in East. You know, where he said it wouldn't be this year. HaHa This was supposed to be a Christmas in the Heartland tour. LOL Well maybe there are going to be another dozen venues booked.

{{{hugs}}} Thanks for missing me Couchie . I am afraid my posting may have to be few and far between, since I am back to work. Plus the tour is wrapping up and I think I just need a breather in general. Real life is calling me.

My thoughts: Clay is who he is. He has effeminate qualities IMO. Some people never see them and that's fine. A lot of people take those qualities and say well then he must be gay. Well that's really on them and how the world turns and there's nothing we can do about it. Clay knows how he is perceived by some. And what I love about him is that he hasn't stopped giggling, stopped being silly, stopped being him. I actually don't see flaming, I see silly. I know people think he should just sing the songs straight -- well I think it would be a long time, if ever, before Clay Aiken stood there and did a straight rendition of a song called sexyback. Of course he has the voice. But hip hop and rock n roll is more than a voice - it is an attitude... and he may be able to mimic Usher/Justin T but he is not them. It's why while I enjoy the classic medleys, I prefer the ATDW songs. Out of his own mouth he is not even enamored with that type of music. So he has fun with it. And he has seen clack and these are choices he makes.

On his new album I don't expect or want all ballads. They will find a way to give him mid and uptempo stuff without turning in to JT or Usher. He said as much in an interview. And I look forward to it.

I don't think You Tube is pr because people have to actually go click on a link.I could be wrong but don't think he is saying that because he is ashamed of his performances as he simply wouldn't do them. He knows everything he does will be in the public sphere. I also think anybody who knows he can sing won't suddenly think he can't if they see that clip. Maybe they'll laugh with him. Maybe they will laugh at him. Maybe they will go in seach of more. But it will never be the only thing they see about Clay Aiken.

I'm so excited about Christmas tour now. Saw Fear's tickets over in the ticket exchange. But then I thought to ask when was our company xmas party and it's on the 14th. Sigh. I could still do it but would be traveling home on the 14th. Last year if I had taken the trip I almost took I would have been stuck in Denver for two days. I have a feeling I'm going to end up in Minneapolis. sigh. I'll wait for the full schedule.

Yep..Christmas in the Heartland is becoming funnier and funnier... I know I won't be calling this tour that LOL.

Clay is who he is.

Amen and AMEN!

As are we all.

I respect that Clay hasn't tried to be something he's not just to fit in. I just can't get worked up about people's shallow judgements about him. Clay is pretty clear in LTS about what he thinks of sterotypes, calling them "simplistic and reductive" (pg 240)

If being himself costs him a bigger career then that is clearly his choice.

I respect that Clay hasn't tried to be something he's not just to fit in. I just can't get worked up about people's shallow judgements about him. Clay is pretty clear in LTS about what he thinks of sterotypes, calling them "simplistic and reductive" (pg 240)

I love a woman who can quote LTS by page number. Heh.

I'm totally with couchie and jamar on this. The first time I saw the classics medley in Houston (my first real experience with it), I said to myself "the man has no fear." He seems to be a person who is not afraid of who he is -- and what people think of him is of no real consequence to him either. And if that means that he goes OTT (and I do agree with you muski that the performance has teetered over the edge a bit for my tastes as well), well, so be it. If he loses fans because of that...he'll deal. And so will I.

I am one who loves the entire show he's doing now, but for different reasons. I love the ATDW songs and MOAM, because he simply sings the shiznit out of them. That voice cannot be denied. The medleys, though, are a totally different animal. I love them because they show me what I see as his goofy personality...and I honestly think that many people see that as well. And there are going to be some people that don't like a goofy personality. Their loss, IMO.

I think much of the problem with this Insider piece is that it does what the media frequently loves to do -- take something out of context. And also unfortunately, our society today takes only the visual media part of this type of piece, and ignores the story that went with it. It's sad, but it's true....and I'm not sure what can be done about that.

I like to reread sections of LTS from time to time...and am almost always amazed at how much of that book is still relevant to his life today. While I do think that he's probably changed a few opinions since the publication of the book, it truly was a part of him, and in many ways, still seems to be. JMO.

Some nice pictures via Mandler at getclayaiken.com (or actually, her mom!):

The entire album is here.

A few of my favorites:

IMG_2584.jpg

IMG_2706.jpg

IMG_2720.jpg

IMG_2782.jpg

IMG_2789.jpg

IMG_2817.jpg

ETA:

The Cary News

Image No Problem for Aiken

Image no problem for Aiken

By Wendy Lemus, staff writer

The Claymates - and their idol - have always had a bit of an image problem.

They're just not that cool.

I mean, have you ever been to a Clay Aiken concert? With three generations in one family often showing up, you're as likely to see someone helping Grandma out of the car as you are housewives from the last tour stop.

Thing is, Aiken gets that. And on Friday night at his concert with the Raleigh Symphony Orchestra at Cary's Booth Amphitheatre, he took full responsibility for the uncool reputation that has followed him since appearing on "American Idol."

He even had some fun with it.

"This is a Clay Aiken show; we don't do cool things," he bantered between a series of love songs.

Try convincing his audience, some of whom have seen him dozens of times, literally following his tours around the country. Friday's show brought a group of women all the way from Japan.

This was not Aiken's best concert ever. The song selection from the Jukebox tour two years ago, with its Elvis medley among other things, was better. But his voice was in usual fine form on a steamy night with record-setting temperatures, and big enough to match a live orchestra.

Aiken has learned what the crowd wants, and the ballads - "I Want to Know What Love Is," "When I See You Smile," and probably his best of the night, "I Can't Live (If Living is Without You)" - showcased what everyone came for - that Broadway voice, which, at 28, seems to be maturing. Several songs were from his 2006 CD of '70s and '80s love ballads, "A Thousand Different Ways."

No, singing a medley of TV theme songs isn't all that cool. But it was fun to listen to - and no doubt brought back memories for his fans, many of whom are old enough to have watched "All in the Family" and "Laverne & Shirley" in prime time.

That set brought up an interesting question, which Aiken himself posed: "Does singing cool songs make you cool?"

He and his equally powerful backup singers proceeded with an entertaining medley that included Madonna, Michael Jackson, Justin Timberlake and Usher. (Doing the "Vogue" dance to "Like a Virgin" was intended, right?)

What makes Usher cool? What made Jackson cool? And can any of it rub off on Clay? Ask Barry Manilow.

Really, Aiken could care less. And that's the point. He knows who he is, who his fans are, and most importantly, he can have a little laugh and not take himself too seriously.

And that's pretty cool, don't you think?

Besides, Madonna fans have never been spoofed off-Broadway.

I personally LOVE this review. *eyes my location once again*

Well since Clay has already put on a football uniform and thrown a football on tv with Kimmel, I have to agree with him that people will think what they will think. It's their problem, not mine. I don't think a person's sexuality, perceived or real, has ever made me decide that someone has a good voice or is funny or that I shouldn't like them. If people don't care to raise their children to be tolerant, it is a sad, sad world.

Personally, I thought that the insider article was cute, including the video. I laugh my head off whenever I see this part of the show. I will cherish this clack for a long time. It's not that I see this as a sexual dance or a campy song but plain old slapstick comedy, which is over the top. It's reminiscent of Milton Berle dressing as a woman or walking on the sides of his shoes; Red Skelton being what was at that time called a bum; Jack Benny playing the violin badly, the Three Stooges. It's just Clay bringing back physical comedy. I think that this act probably appeals more to men who have more often appreciated physical comedy.

Clay is a good looking man, so I can see where fans might like him to be more serious, but he has to do what he is most comfortable doing. I never studied psychology, well except for one course, so I can't say why he isn't more serious about himself. But whatever caused this goofy streak in him, I'm really enjoying it.

I think he is just fascinating and can't wait until he writes his next book.

Sorry for the epic.

OK I see LadyJ beat me to it...

Image no problem for Aiken

What makes Usher cool? What made Jackson cool? And can any of it rub off on Clay? Ask Barry Manilow.

Really, Aiken could care less. And that's the point. He knows who he is, who his fans are, and most importantly, he can have a little laugh and not take himself too seriously.

And that's pretty cool, don't you think?

Besides, Madonna fans have never been spoofed off-Broadway.

love the bolded part

I have to agree with muski on this. I HATE the way he does the SexyBack schtick now the same way as I HATED the Frisco "Like a Virgin".

I wish I could say I don't care what the NJU's think, but I do and one reason is for a prolonged career he has to win a lot of the NJUs over. Now, not EVERY NJU believes the tabloid crap, or even thinks he's gay, but a lot do.

On the other hand, in this particular instance, if someone were reading the blurb on the Insider page, they would know he was camping it up. But if someone just stumbled across that video, well, I shiver to think at what someone might think.

I know I shouldn't give a damn, but I do.

However, those are some beautious pictures ldyj posted!! :hubbahubba: I love the last one. I do love me some smiling Clay!

INteresting....

Though if you can't separate your personal enjoyment (or lack thereof) of the schtick from the way you're afraid others may see, that's understandable.
Never said this. What I said was

But from the first time he changed his approach to this segment from being faux sexy to being absurdly Keith-like and over-the-top...I actually don't know WHAT he's going for, to tell you the truth!...but I haven't enjoyed it as much and I LOVE the guy!

I found this interesting, too...

The SexyBack thing I honestly can't see as being any worse than the times he throws himself wholeheartedly into MOAM - scrunchy faces, flailing arms and all.
Yah...I don't likey those faces, either. But they're completely different (for me) from the SexyBack OTT stuff. I'd actually never have considered these two things as anything to compare!

What I'm trying to discriminate between---(but from what some of the posts since my last diatribe seem to say, has become confused)----is

1: the goofy CLay, doing his funny stuff and banter and silly bathroom jokes and laughing in the middle of songs and weird faces at somebody in the audience and...stuff and

2:the OTT affectations SPECIFIC to the SexyBack part.

The first? I LOVE it! That IS Clay! He's a hoot and a half and I love it! It's FUNNY!

I do not find his decision as to how to snark on SexyBack (#2)"funny"...Now I laughed in Houston when he did a pretend 'i'masexyman' during SexyBack---I GOT it...I understood what he was doing. He had me laughing and snarking with him that he ain't no Justin Timberlake and in fact, thinks the song is dumb. FOR ME, that approach to satire was much more enjoyable than the current one. And one of the reasons this interpretation is not enjoyable to me is related to the unfortunate crappola that has surrounded the man in the media.

That's all I was saying. I wasn't denigrating Clay's funny self or real self or choice to do slooooooowwww songs or power ballads or drown in cheese. I know that's him. I love him.

I just don't like the way he does SexyBack and I don't think it does him any favors.

Like I said earlier...

Most likely, no two people seeing that clip, whether in person or via the internet, are going to agree on its effect or its effectiveness.

So I'm very happy to agree to disagree and move on. :RedGuy:

Oh, and btw...I really like that last review. That writer expressed things much better than the previous writer, IMO.

Edited by muskifest

What a great post, FearOfH20. You should post more often! And it was great meeting you in NC, BTW. :F_05BL17blowkiss:

Love the Cary review. That person gets it.

I just finished watching 070812_Knoxville_Classics_jtgranny_large.wmv. :Thud: I am not sure how she survived it, if she was really as close as the clack makes her look to be. Those jeans.......wow. Beautiful, clear video, very few heads in the way. I'll have to see if it's already in the recommendation thread, or add it myself.

I have to agree with muski on this. I HATE the way he does the SexyBack schtick now the same way as I HATED the Frisco "Like a Virgin".

I wish I could say I don't care what the NJU's think, but I do and one reason is for a prolonged career he has to win a lot of the NJUs over. Now, not EVERY NJU believes the tabloid crap, or even thinks he's gay, but a lot do.

On the other hand, in this particular instance, if someone were reading the blurb on the Insider page, they would know he was camping it up. But if someone just stumbled across that video, well, I shiver to think at what someone might think.

You shudder because they might think that he really is gay? Or just effeminate? Oh, the horror! :cryingwlaughter: Seriously, there's nothing wrong with being gay or effeminate. If someone doesn't like him because they perceive him as gay, I say it's no great loss. I know there are many people in this day and age who still have prejudice like that, but they aren't friends of mine.

I think Clay knows that many, many people assume he is gay, because they buy into stereotypes. I think he's quite comfortable being who he is, and has gotten to the point where he doesn't care what people think anymore, because there's nothing he can do about it anyways. So he camps it up to make fun of it.

Or, what FearOfH20 said so much more eloquently than I ever could.

I respect all feelings on this issue. And while of course there is nothing wrong with being gay -- that is not IMO the answer for those who don't share my feelings.I'm very sure they know that already. I so understand where they are coming from because Clay is never painted as somebody with a cute boyfriend and happily in love. No, he is a freak of nature, a pervert that trolls the internet and that nobody wants. I can understand why anyone who cares about Clay is sick and tired of that characterization.

Thanks for the pics..they're great!

I agree Fear...you crack me up. That was not an epic. Just words of wisdom.

Ah Muski, I get what you are saying..I just haven't seen much of the early clsssics clack to differentiate what he's doing different now. I'm not a huge clack watcher and that part of the show isn't my favorite.