#29: EEEEEEEEEEEE!!! It's really happening!

Couch Tomato

What should be the next thread title at FCA?  

52 members have voted

1. 1. What should be the next thread title on the FCA board?

• Ah, nothing left but the finale - and Clay's incredible career.
    • I am so obsessed. He's altered my DNA. I'm sure of it.
    • Hold on...you're going on a great and long ride!
    • I'd go with Godzilla if it meant I could see Clay even one more time in Spamalot.
    • Yes I'm babbling. What can I say? He makes me happy.
    • Clay has the vitality of the Energizer bunny...
    • Just the Clay parts first. His parts are FINE as WINE and all move..... varra varra nicely!
    • He loves us as we love him--unconditionally.
    • Today's Clay is hawt, polished, multi-faceted...
    • Faith has conquered fear...on my way here!
    • The man is a magnet. A super magnet.
    • Clay will always be Clayton, too.
    • I want it all and I want it now!
    • He is going to kill us all.
    • Can I move to ClayAikenville?
    • Whenever, wherever, I'll be there.

From k.white/CV

EEEEEEEE! I just called my local radio station again and asked if they were planning on playing OMWH today since it released on AOL. The dj said, "yeah I heard about it, and we are going to try to get ahold of it; as soon as we do, we are going to play it."

EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE! The dj is discussing OMWH now. Mentioning Spamalot. Here it is now!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Cool that someone was able to get to hear it on the radio!

Now, is Clay a Gadget or is he a Gizmo - PEOPLE WANT TO KNOW!!!

Boy, if he really wanted to start the gossipers again, now we have another controversy to rip apart the fandom.

I think Clay is a Gizmo because it sounds so much like Gonzo, surely it is just a misspelling!

No, No, he is a gadget because he loves shows like Mr Rogers, he probably loves Inspector Gadget and wanted to emulate him.

No Clay is a gadget because he is soooo smart he probably invented something, maybe to replace the internet - you know to reward all his loyal fans with faster downloads!

Well, I think he is a Gizmo because Gizmo5 allows free internet calls and encourages cellcerts!

The debate will rage for years tearing the fandom apart.

sob When we there finally be peace?

sob The Humanity! As god is my witness, I thought turkeys could fly!

WKRP

So I listened to it again right before turning out the lights for bed...and of course, the melody kept playing in my head (and yes, I wrote that specifically for the rhyming effect!)...and I kept ALMOST figuring out what other song the tune had me ALMOST singing...not ISY at all but....

Woke up and immediately found myself singing that sing-song refrain "On my way here, where I am now, da dah da dah da dah da DAH da dah da dah..." and STILL just losing the next line that would take me into another song....what the HELL is it?

Then on the bus as the same part of the song played and replayed in my mind, it hit me!

That's What Friends Are For!

Keep smilin', keep shinin'

Knowin' you can always count on me, for sure

That's what friends are for

For good times and bad times

I'll be on your side forever more

That's what friends are for

and

On my way here

Where I am now

I’ve learned to fly

I have to want to leave the ground

I’ve fallen hard

But I’ve been loved

And in the end it all works out

Faith has conquered fear

On my way here.

Not exactly, of course, but close enough that as I'm humming OMWH, I find myself sliding into TWFAF! :lol:

Okay, here goes :unsure: (remember ldyjocelyn, the scroll bar is your friend :F_05BL17blowkiss: )

I love his voice in this song---As I said earlier, it is so textured with so many layers of talent. The sheer beauty of the VOX is everywhere. Some of the ways he treats the end of words make me ache---literally---because I can feel what he's feeling. And he doesn't take the easy way out on notes that are in that middle place between head and chest voice. He plays those notes and caresses them, making them seem gently sung when actually he had to be so vocally strong to carry that sound so excellently. The VOX is there gloriously.

That said, I wish the refrain didn't sound so sing-song-y to me. And repetitive. I wonder why he chose to add even MORE of the repeat in the last part? I wonder how the average listener, one who might not be so appreciative or enamored of his vocal talent, will react to that repetition?

And I have to say that I was a bit disappointed with the orchestral production quality. I've actually had about enough of that sound for a while, but that's my problem. Obviously, Clay likes all the strings and dramatic swells (heh) and the whole symphony thing....I'd love to hear a version of this song with just the kind of music that plays in the beginning---Hey, all you music people out there! Is that opening instrument a guitar or some other stringed instrument? I like it and think Clay could KILL with an acoustic version of this song or one with just a guitar and piano or something similar in concert. He'd kill ME, for sure. :Thud:

It's one song of 12, I know, so I'm not saying I'll have the same reaction to the rest of the CD; I'm just saying that I will NOT be surprised to read reviews of this first sound of Clay Aiken's 'first original songs since 2003' saying that there's 'nothing new here'---that it's that same Clay Aiken "bland" kind of stuff, etc. I don't agree, but then I hear every little bit of difference in his voice and know so much about the man behind the words that I can appreciate the growth.

Just sayin' that the production of this first single isn't what I expected from all the talk about Kipper and whatnot...it's more along the lines of the over-produced songs on MOAM, actually, to my ears.

But I like it and like it more the more I listen. Not sure the non-Clay fans will give it so many chances to 'grab them', though, so I'm not expecting a great commercial success of this lead single. Can't wait to hear the whole thing and it's especially exciting because I know how much this musical venture means to Clay. :wub:

ETA: BWAH! So while I was writing my tome, I see that one radio station is already playing it and Clay is either a gadget or a gizmo and Playbiller's take on THAT one has me :lmaosmiley-1: I swear, being a Clay fan is just on off the hook!

Hmmm...the "sing-song-y-ness" of it is one the things that make it stick in my head. I admit, I tend to prefer musically dense to stripped down (if I never hear another average singer sittin' on a stool with nothin' but him and his gueeeetar warbling to me about not much of anything, it'll be too soon.) Complexity is what keeps me listening to the same music for years...

Since the only other song I know by Tedder is "Apologize" - the Timbaland version (which I like excessively) - it has those qualities that muski aren't all that fond of - starts out with the strings, quickly overlaid my drums, lots of piano. The original by One Republic is more stripped down - but didn't go anywhere until Timbaland added all the production. The "Tell me that you need, then you're gonna cut me down" has those same sing-songy elements. If anything, OMWH actually reminds me more of "Apologize" than anything else.

EEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!! :wub::flirtysmile3: :F_05BL17blowkiss: :clap:

That is all for now.

*happy sigh*

First listen? So happy y'all are enjoying it. It's delightful to read so many happy comments! If the small snippet we heard during that interview was an earworm, I can imagine that the "real" song would be memorable, too. Is it May 6 yet? :)

So I take it you are resisting the urges, 00lsee? I haven't heard it yet. I know, I guess I want to hear the whole album at once. I'm all about the voice and as long as it sounds like Clay, I'll be happy. :lilredani:

I might have liked it a little, itty, tiny bit, rohdy. I'll have to listen another 37 times or so before I can really tell! :tongue09:

I can't reply to my email right now for some strange reason, but want to send one of these :F_05BL17blowkiss: out to my buddy who helped me get my fix at work!

muski, I tried like crazy to scroll, but I just couldn't. I like to learn other opinions...and then share my own. *g* (BTW, :F_05BL17blowkiss: at you too!)

I'm pretty much with KAndre in that what you hear as "sing-songy," I hear as "major earworm." The feel of the melody is what sticks with me, and that, to me, is what will cause me to wake singing the song. And IMO, I think the repitition is what keeps people remembering the hook. Most popular songs emphasize the hook by repeating them over and over again.

To answer, your question -- yes, that is a guitar at the beginning, along with a solo piano. While I do love this arrangement, strings and all, I think hearing it as a stripped down version would be quite cool. Actually, I'm waiting for the AOL Sessions version any day now. (The version of MOAM from AOL is what made me finally LOVE that song....)

As for "commercial success" for the song -- man, that's a hard one to actually define. Will it sell albums? Will it get played on the radio? I know not, in either instance. But I'm at the point that it seems Clay wants this type of music, and you know simpleton me.....if it makes him happy, I'm good to go.

Honestly....I'm a bit afraid of the Kipper statement, "people will say "THAT'S Clay Aiken?"" right now, for it seems to me that people are putting their hopes and dreams on that, and not finding it with this particular song. As couchie said, this is only one track of the album, and I don't think it totally fair to try to emphasize the surprise factor on this one track. We'll just have to see.

*off to listen again*

YAY for annabear, and BWAH to playbiller. I vote "gizmo."

I guess I really don't understand what is meant by "sing-songy". Is that something undesirable?

ETA:

I'm pretty much with KAndre in that what you hear as "sing-songy," I hear as "major earworm." The feel of the melody is what sticks with me, and that, to me, is what will cause me to wake singing the song. And IMO, I think the repitition is what keeps people remembering the hook. Most popular songs emphasize the hook by repeating them over and over again.

Thank you! ITA.

From Washgirl at CV:

Clay's not going to be selling anything else but his cd on QVC. Regarding gadgets & gizmos, it appears that the Special Value of the day is something electronic, probably something to do w/music I would speculate. It will be presented separately. Clay will sing live. I didn't see Barry, but I remember when Andrea Bocelli was on. The host chats with the guest and then they perform live. I took a tour of the QVC studio a couple of years ago and Clay will probably have a blast. It's really fascinating. And I bet the staff will have a blast with him, too.

Dolby Digital will help on ac3 files, not mp3, though using any good speakers/headphones will improve the sound. (yes, I'm picky. what)

Gadgets? *perks up* Oooh, ooooh, I looove gadgets!!!

Mebbe they'll sell Clay!

I'll go in with somebody!

Whaddya mean, that's illegal?

As soon as Play tells me whether he's a gizmo or a gadget, I'm buying! And if he's a gizmo, Scarlett's out of luck!

I vote "gizmo."

Me too.

Although I've heard he has a gadget.... :whistling-1:

Mebbe they'll sell Clay!

I'm in for $250.

I vote "gizmo."

Me too.

Heard? Heck, I think any of us who've seen Clay on Spamalot, in the "guard killed dead" scene, has seen at least a HINT of his gadget!

I agree, ldyj, it's a piano and an acoustic guitar at the beginning. And although there are strings, the bass guitar is pretty prominent, too, which I really like. My mother-in-law just left, and I just turned the song up on my good speakers, and the bass kicks ass!

For those musicians who like data about songs - it's in the key of E flat, and it stays in that key the whole song except for the bridge, which modulates for a few measures. I think, after listening just a few times, that the highest note Clay sings is B flat. Most of the song is sung between the B flat below middle C an the F above middle C, which is in a really good range for Clay (as KAndre already mentioned). The earworm consists of these notes, sung on "On my way here, Where I am now, I've learned to fly . . . ":

B flat - E flat - D - E flat; repeat 3X

That's the part that Muski's calling sing-songy, and others are calling an earworm. The fact that the melody there is fairly simple and repetitive makes it easy to memorize and sing along to, which I think is a plus.

Okay, I'm gonna listen again, and figure out the exact range of the song. I think it's not a very rangy song. BRB.

ETA: The song's lowest note is the G below middle C, and the highest note (during the bridge) is the B flat above middle C. Perfect range for Clay.

Heee, this is fun. I have the chords for the chorus figured out - I've been playing the piano along with the recording.

Mebbe they'll sell Clay!

I'm in for $250.

I vote "gizmo."

Me too.

Heard? Heck, I think any of us who've seen Clay on Spamalot, in the "guard killed dead" scene, has seen at least a HINT of his gadget!

I vote "gizmo with a large gadget" :cryingwlaughter:

I'm just snickering, y'all, because in the movie "Inspector Gadget", all he had to say was "go, go, gadget-whatever" and usually the "whatever"...um...extended...or bounced...or... heh

FearofH2O, yes, I am resisting the urge...and I can't believe I'm doing it. It is very exciting and nerve-wracking to wait...

Heee, OOlsee, that's funny! And you're a brave woman to wait to listen to OMWH!

BTW, I figured out why people are comparing the chorus of ISY and OMWH. Here are the notes for the chorus of OMWH, when he sings ""On my way here, Where I am now, I've learned to fly . . . ":

B flat - E flat - D - E flat; repeat 3X

In the chorus of ISY, the notes for "I survived the crash, survived the burn. . " are exactly the same intervals, only raised 1/2 step:

B - E - D sharp - E; repeat 3x

And the rhythm for those notes is very similar, too.

Ok, QVC? I still think selling a CD on QVC is tacky, and more Barry Manilow comparisons will be inevitable, but....

Its a MOnday. Do you think he's coming to the QVC studios?

The ones that are less than 20 minutes from my house????

I would take the day off from work and he could stop by my house for dinner!

pets Gibby fondly...

I like having clever actually confirm stuff I make random guesses about!

I wonder why that half a step in ISY sounds so very different to me...

Its a MOnday. Do you think he's coming to the QVC studios?

The ones that are less than 20 minutes from my house????

I read elsewhere that the studios are somewhere in PA and that it is a live audience show. However apparently now people are being told it's sold out already.

KAndre, they probably sound different because the instrumentation, mood and vocals of ISY and OMWH are different. There are strings, piano, bass and acoustic guitar during the chorus of OMWH, whereas ISY has no strings, and the electric guitar and piano are pretty prominent during the chorus. Clay also sings them differently - in ISY he exaggerates the consonants and kind of punches the notes to convey the determined, angsty mood of the piece. In OMWH he sings in a smoother, more legato and soaring fashion to convey his joy about surviving the challenges along the way.

So Gibby...can you do that comparison note thingy for me and "That's What Friends Are For"---you know, just to prove that I have a tin ear? :lilredani:

I keep clicking "Play" here at work to listen yet again. I do like the song...just not sure it'll be the "breakout" song for Clay for the masses, you know?

And QVC? I hope that when Clay looks at the live audience there he doesn't have 'deja vu all over again' re: familiar faces...

IMO and YMMV and all that... :imgtongue:

Oh...A p.s. to my story about the woman in Charlotte whose 87-year-old grandmother is a Clay fanatic and whom I urged to take said grandma to see Spamalot. She just emailed me to say she finally DID mention it to her granny! Woot! Wouldn't that be soooo cool if they actually went to a show? :clap:

Muski, another friend mentioned similar things so you aren't alone. And you've already told yourself all the reasons not to get too worried so I won't repeat them :cryingwlaughter:

Got any friends that works for QVC Claygasm? heee Is this done live? You can go watch the car come and go heh.

How long do people give them selves to like or dislike something on its own merit without worrying about other people. I really don't care about the NJU people. I have no idea what they'll like or not like. If I can like it so can the NJU people. There's how many millions in this country... he doesn't have to reach them all - just enough to make another album.

KAndre, they probably sound different because the instrumentation, mood and vocals of ISY and OMWH are different. There are strings, piano, bass and acoustic guitar during the chorus of OMWH, whereas ISY has no strings, and the electric guitar and piano are pretty prominent during the chorus. Clay also sings them differently - in ISY he exaggerates the consonants and kind of punches the notes to convey the determined, angsty mood of the piece. In OMWH he sings in a smoother, more legato and soaring fashion to convey his joy about surviving the challenges along the way.

Gibby I love your posts on music. YOu know you'll have to do this for every song right?