you. thanks to Couch Tomato, dmclovesomc, ldyjocelyn, FearofH20,

playbiller, zanyforclay, Ansamcw, strummer6, ClaytonAikenFan86,

Claygasm, and 1 guest.

Look forward to next week. I hope that you all have a wonderful

Weekend!

Best in ClayLove~!

SilverAngel

xoxoxooxox

Claygasm, don't let that glimmer die. I thought it had died in me...and then it was alive. It happens.

I find it very interesting about people that are lyrics people vs. those who are music people. I think in my case it was simply training -- I've had music lessons since I was 6, and been an amateur musician all my life. Iw as trained to listen for a good melody, one that had a hook. Also, my listening to the radio added to that. What makes people lyrics people?

*sigh* This song is wonderful. The matching of the cello and his voice...perfection.

Well, technically...tonight, we're done! I'm probably going to bed here soon...long day ahead tomorrow.

Thanks SilverAngel, and thanks to all her came and commented. It truly was fun!

Earlier, on another board, I wrote this post about LAA (modified for more lyrics):

I find LAA not so much sad as reflective, contemplative. He's said so often in interviews that he's never been in love and then he goes and writes a song that says this --

'Maybe I've convinced myself I've really been in love

But I've been wrong, all along'

Gah.

Yeah, only a fan would tie in the two. But even on it's own and without that knowledge, the song is still so intimate. Add in those quotes ringing inside my head and it takes the meaning of the lyrics to a whole other level for me.

The way he delivers this performance -- the vocal nuances and his tone - it feels like we are hearing his inner voice. I cannot begin to express how much that touches me.

Though I guess saying I get all goopy might come close.

Basically, IMO:

Without You = Performance.

Lover All Alone = Honest Emotion.

The communciation of honest emotion may be the ultimate achievement for a singer. Delivering a glory note or two, not so much. That's just me though.

Damn. I think I might cry again.

Did I mention on my playlist I follow this with 'Alone' from the JBT? Do you guys think I'm a glutton for punishment? (Rhetorical.)

It has been awesome to share in listening to these songs with all of

you. thanks to Couch Tomato, dmclovesomc, ldyjocelyn, FearofH20,

playbiller, zanyforclay, Ansamcw, strummer6, ClaytonAikenFan86,

Claygasm, and 1 guest.

Look forward to next week. I hope that you all have a wonderful

Weekend!

Best in ClayLove~!

SilverAngel

xoxoxooxox

Back at ya SilverAngel.................(waves bye) :)

silver angel...you're a sweetie!

even though you left me out of hte list--just kidding1 normally i'm a big mouth here from my own computer...i can understand how i'm overshadowed by couchie here at her house.... :unsure:

know what else kills me aobut this song/

he moves so effortlessly from one tone to another---the deep, resonating low note ---looooovvvve...and then the highest note in falsetto...

his voice is truly a gift...and i often think how lucky i am to be alive now when i can hear and see him LIVE

i'll have to remember to take lots of tissues with me when i go to this concert, folks....

Cos Clay wrote the lyrics....

maybe i've convinced myself i've really been in love

and i've been wrong all along

for all i know the feeling and the picture that i've tried

so hard to find isn't mine

I find this verse so very powerful and self aware. Its hard to really tell youself that after all the relationships you have had...your really never been in love.

and the last two lines...heart breaking...i sure hope he is wrong there

could be its all just a waiting game

wanna share my everything

this is so sad...he wants to be in love and have that family...but he won't let himself settle for less than true love I think

and on my own

its hard to tell my heart it will be alright

this love it holds will one day find a home

as hard as love can be

its harder still it seems

to be a lover all alone without love

This always makes me cry...he must have so much love to give...and yet he hasn't really found the right one.

picking up the pieces makes me wonder if

i only build it all to watch it fall

the faster it can go away it means the less of me

is gone to stay and i'm ok

again very perceptive...and insightful...so many people do this. They start a relationship ...then they sabotage it cos they are just afraid they will lose themselve to the other. But if y they feel real love it won;t be losing yourself its being more with the person you love.

but lonesome(?) tomorrow comes anyway

i'm alone for another day, another day

GAH saddest part of the song and soooo brave.

I always suspected that what keeps Clay from writing his songs...is that he feels really deeply...and his music, his words can get truly personal. I think he was so afraid to share his inner saelf with people...

what totally floored me with this song...is how vulnerable he is...once he shared and opened up...he went all the way to the most difficult part in his life. IMO...

that is courage...and this is a great gift...

thank you Clay...

strummer, interesting analysis. One that I'm not sure I totally agree with.

LAA is honest, almost painfully so. I'll agree to that. But WY is an emotional tour de force for me as well...it's just a different set of feelings. I see it more as raw anguish (with glory notes *g*), while LAA is a simple heartfelt cry. For me, it's hard to separate the emotions out like that.

And I think in concert, both songs will slay me dead.

Aww you guys are free to hang around and continue discussing the songs...

I hope those that joined us for the first time this evening will check out the other parts of the baord...we like to have fun mostly...

thank you ldyjocelyn and whoever you stole this idea from..it was a lot of fun and i look forward to next week...maybe i'll go to muski's house...heee

yeah! and maybe i'll get my wireless connection reconfigured so that we can both be on the computer at the same time!

since i forgot my freakin password and now can't get on wireless with my new computer!

senior moment....many times over...

thank you, everybody...this has been so much fun...and such a respite from the angst that seems to be all over Clayland these days....

thank you1...going home now to my hubby-----the keeper.

Waldo is in my lap, which makes it rather hard to type....

But....

I think I am a lyrics person because to me the lyrics tell the story. I was an actress - sort of - back in the day. I majored in theater in college. I wrote poetry. I kept journals. Words have always been my way of saying things I couldn't say, if you know what I mean.

So when I listen to a song, I hear the lyrics first. If they speak to me, I tend to like the song because I hear the person who wrote it. They have a voice.

But that's just me.

LAA is addictive to me. Once I start listening to it, I find it hard to stop. It just means so much to me........

This may be the one song that gets me to cry......

Cos Clay wrote the lyrics....

maybe i've convinced myself i've really been in love

and i've been wrong all along

for all i know the feeling and the picture that i've tried

so hard to find isn't mine

I find this verse so very powerful and self aware. Its hard to really tell youself that after all the relationships you have had...your really never been in love.

and the last two lines...heart breaking...i sure hope he is wrong there

could be its all just a waiting game

wanna share my everything

this is so sad...he wants to be in love and have that family...but he won't let himself settle for less than true love I think

and on my own

its hard to tell my heart it will be alright

this love it holds will one day find a home

as hard as love can be

its harder still it seems

to be a lover all alone without love

This always makes me cry...he must have so much love to give...and yet he hasn't really found the right one.

again very perceptive...and insightful...so many people do this. They start a relationship ...then they sabotage it cos they are just afraid they will lose themselve to the other. But if y they feel real love it won;t be losing yourself its being more with the person you love.

but lonesome(?) tomorrow comes anyway

i'm alone for another day, another day

GAH saddest part of the song and soooo brave.

I always suspected that what keeps Clay from writing his songs...is that he feels really deeply...and his music, his words can get truly personal. I think he was so afraid to share his inner saelf with people...

what totally floored me with this song...is how vulnerable he is...once he shared and opened up...he went all the way to the most difficult part in his life. IMO...

that is courage...and this is a great gift...

thank you Clay...

Word to eveything. And God, no wonder this song gets to me. It IS me!

Especially this part....

**sigh**

AWWW strummer love your analysis

I guess since Clay never fell in love...then songs like Without You will have to be a performance...he is acting out cos he hasn;t felt that emotion he cannot use it to bring it out. Same with Sorry. I do think he does a good job at using his voice to convey the emotions...but it is the emotions as he imagines the composer to feel.

Here...this is his own thoughts...his feelings. How much more connected can one be...and when one shares their deepest vulnerabilities...there is no way he cannot be feeling it deep down inside and conveying that to us.

It was nice reading everyone's thoughts on the songs. I don't know much about music so it was interesting and educational learning from those who do. I just know I either like it or I don't. Where Clay is concerned, I will always love anything he chooses to sing to us!! Lyrics are very important to me. Tonight was fun and I look forward to next Friday.

ldyjocelyn -

I find it very interesting about people that are lyrics people vs. those who are music people. I think in my case it was simply training -- I've had music lessons since I was 6, and been an amateur musician all my life. Iw as trained to listen for a good melody, one that had a hook. Also, my listening to the radio added to that. What makes people lyrics people?

I think I'm both. I love a good hook, a a good melody or a wonderful lilt. Every so often you get both, where the music fuses perfectly with the lyric and they almost can't be separated. The guitar or the piano is almost whispering the words in tandem. And I think this combination makes heart songs.

Usually I feel that the best lyrics are the most plain. The most simple. Fancy metaphors and clever can be good (To play Double Dutch with the real Double Duchess somes to mind ...) But straight and true makes for the best, IMO.

One of my old favorites:

I get the urge for going

But I never seem to go.

- Joni Mitchell

Foster wrote a beautiful melody and Clay found its heart. Or gave it his.

Amen. And Amen again.

Thanks for the lyrics answers guys. ITA with strummer that the fusion of lyrics and melody seem to play a great deal...and when LYRICS get me in the gut, I'm right there. That's LAA. Not many songs do that for me anymore, but Clay and Foster managed it.

Good night sweet prince.

*choke* *sputter*

I think I am a lyrics person because to me the lyrics tell the story. I was an actress - sort of - back in the day. I majored in theater in college. I wrote poetry. I kept journals. Words have always been my way of saying things I couldn't say, if you know what I mean.

<snip>

ah no wonder you were so focused on the emotions that Clay conveys. I guess when that is your backgorund you cannot help but notice that the most. In a way I do agree with you. I think that is why I find this CD concept a bit frustrating cos Clay hasn't really been in love...so it probably was very hard for him to be authentic and in the moment in a lot fo the songs. Yes WY and Sorry...two of the most emotional songs...when compared to LAA does fall short on the emotional impact.

Thanks for a fun evening, everyone!

I'll try and be more positive next week. I mean, I HAVE to be. There are 2 songs I LOVE on that half of the album, and a couple I don't mind......

This was a great idea. This fandom can be so much fun if WE let it.

Thanks for letting us have fun!

Claygasm -

I was an actress - sort of - back in the day. I majored in theater in college. I wrote poetry. I kept journals.

Hey! You're me! I doubled in English and theater. I still have my journals. The poems too. (Mine were sooooo bad.)

But, still, very cool.

And I'd be more peppy about it if Ansa hadn't made me cry some more ... Ansa, that was beautiful.

I should stop listening now, shouldn't I? God, I love this song.

Night all. What a wonderful idea this was.

ldyjocelyn -

I think I'm both. I love a good hook, a a good melody or a wonderful lilt. Every so often you get both, where the music fuses perfectly with the lyric and they almost can't be separated. The guitar or the piano is almost whispering the words in tandem. And I think this combination makes heart songs.

Usually I feel that the best lyrics are the most plain. The most simple. Fancy metaphors and clever can be good (To play Double Dutch with the real Double Duchess somes to mind ...) But straight and true makes for the best, IMO.

One of my old favorites:

I get the urge for going

But I never seem to go.

- Joni Mitchell

WORD to all of this. I do love a good melody and I also get into the beat and the instrumentation...that at times the lyrics is the last that makes an impact on me. I also agree that at times the most simple and honest lyrics are the most effective.

I think LAA is one of those rare moments where everything just comes together beautifully.

Melody...what a wonderful melody for DF to give to Clay. That is faith, and I want the person that will be in charge of Clay's music to have this kind of faith in him.

Production...Eman, certainly did the best work on this CD. He is creative and seem to really get Clay;s unique vocal quality since he knows how to make the instrumentation weave with it and support it beautifully without being isntrusive.

Lyrics...I do believe that these lyrics and the abiltiy for Clay to share this with us came out of the maturity he gained from his experinces in the past year and a half. I find it interesting that he must've written this after he has started working on the others songs in this CD. I suspect working with love songs gave him some insights to his own feelings.

Voice...stunning. Clay didn;t care about technique...he didn't care aboutperfections...he simply sang...from the heart...and the result is unforgettable.

Timing... I just had a thought...if Clive accepted the CD of originals Clay did last decemebr...would we have LAA? Sometimes fate works in mysterious ways.

That was so much fun!!!

Thank you Ldyjocelyn for suggesting it...and thanks for being our hostess...

so happy to see new posters here tonight, and hopefully more will join us next week.

Good night...