#4-Everything is mucho-good-o

Ansamcw

I will stick my hand up and say, honestly I am not that extroverted a person either - I think I've set up my personality that people tend to approach me - so if y'all see me, approach away. Unless I come out and say to you - you've pissed me off (and you won't have to guess, I'm usually quite upfront about my feelings on the board) - I'm quite happy to monopolize your attention. I've enjoyed all the CH parties - I've also enjoyed running off with a few people I like and ditching the CH parties. I'm easy in many ways. Expensive, but easy.

KAndre...this minion will make sure she reports to you first if we are ever in the same party... :D

JennaZ ...I will probably be in the fringes at first too so see you there. I was truly expecting the grouping off cos this is just a natural tendency for people to gravitate towards like minded people. What I found sad was the wariness I sensed in people. I guess since this is a interboardal event...the wariness was also understandable. I guess I was just sad that I was not ablet to expereince the early days when everyone were united in their support of Clay. Now...eveyone is still focused on Clay...but their particular image of Clay and sadly some images tend to clash...when they are simpy different aspect of the same man. I guess the different faction does compete for which image would be the dominant Clay image...as if we, the fans have any say on the matter.

BTW...As ldyjocelyn prepare our next listening party...we can set our next Gabfest for Nov. 25. I think we should focus our topic on the 3 upcoming appearances, R&K, Tyra and AMA...our favorite moments.

Kudos to Muski for her Clayversion efforts. I have to admit my few Clayversion attempts were not really successful. They liked him enough but didn't become fans. So now I am just happy to discover people that are casual fans in RL...

Admittedly, sometimes I'm embarrassed by the MEDIA'S projection of the fandom. So often when the fans are highlighted in one way or the other, the majority of the faces and bodies shown are those of more....uh...mature, gravitationally dominated women...

Totally understand this, not because I don't think we should be out there supporting a guy like Clay...but just because it reinforces the sterotypes of the media has of Clay fans when really Clay does appeal to a very diverse audience. That is why I was happy to see the two tattoo girls...fairly young attractive and aside from the tattoo thing...pretty normal girls.

Well, as a morbidly introverted person, I have actually only made one friend that I traveled to see or talk to on the phone. It is not that I don't want any more, I just am very shy. And did I make that friend over Clay? Nooooooooo-oooo. It was over answering a simple question on e-bay on the boards and that grew into PMs and e-mails and phone calls and finally a visit. Now, do we ever talk about e-bay anymore, nope, it was just the start, now we talk about families and work and politics and life - we are very different and yet a lot the same. And it all was based on a fortuitous post on a Clay board.

As to people meeting, yes there is a Clay group in my state that meets all the time and they pretty much run everything in the state, I have given them my e-mail, yet no one contacts me, I have given them my phone number, to no avail. I volunteered to work WFI with them and had to pester them with PM's and e-mails to get a reply, my reply was show up 'tomorrow' at 8 am. Well, I did even though it was short notice, the place did not open until 9 AM, so I waited in the cold for a while. Then when I got in and met them, I ws told to go home because one of their 'friends' would be there and I was no longer needed. I guess they have enough friends and they pretty much run the release parties and WFI, so I have lost any interest in this closed group of people. I have decided they are not worth my time at this point because I have no time for thoughtless and rude people. I am sure they are nice to each other. Locally, I will stick with my friends from real life.

I know I have met a lot of you, but since I have a very bad visual memory, it is hard to recognize people when I meet them again, so if I don't recognize someone, I hope you understand. I do have a good aural memory though, so speak up!

Whenever I go to these gatherings, I notice that there are typically others like me, people hanging by themselves along the edges, longing to belong, but unsure how to penetrate. Now, I'm actually a very shy, introverted person, but I've found that when I make the effort to introduce myself to the other "wallflowers," I get rewarded by a big smile and a sense of genuine gratitude.

I'm an introvert too. The first Clay "event" I ever attended was a party at the Hard Rock Cafe in Cleveland, prior to the Jingle Ball concert. While it was great fun, I never really spoke to anyone, but that was ok, because I had my daughter with me, and we were able to be fangirly and excited together. Next was another large party, again at the Hard Rock Cafe, this time in Detroit, prior to the IT. We went with some friends, and again, stuck to ourselves at our own table, but had a lot of fun. Then my daughter and I took the plunge, flew to NC and attended a private, cliquish board party. We knew no one except the hostess who I had emailed with a few times to arrange things. Some people came by to ask what our board names were, but of course they didn't recognize mine since I had hardly ever posted, and my daughter was not a member, so they moved along. We were seated at a table with some sisters from NC who also rarely posted, and knew no one. We really hit it off with them, and have remained fast friends ever since, to the point that we always stay with them on trips to NC now. I'll never be able to thank that hostess enough for forcing me to actually talk to someone I didn't know.

RE: Lost. I've actually enjoyed Lost this season, primarily because they seem to have stopped following the tailies and started focusing more on the characters I prefer. Sawyer has always been a bit "meh" for me. I find him more interesting than Jack, but I'm more drawn to Sayid and Jin on a physical level.

I have found Lost frustrating this season because the motivations of the Others is not at all clear, and their actions are illogical on the faces of things. I feel like the writers are just winging it, instead of having an overall plan. Also, I have found the almost unrelenting violence against the Losties to be upsetting. I kind of thought this part of the season would end on a more upbeat note than it did.

Jin - yummy. :D

===========================================

On another note, I'd say you guys aren't the only ones who are avoiding posting on the main page of the CH, based on the slow pace over there. Interesting how posters come back at the mention of positive stuff though, isn't it? Almost like people are dying to have something to celebrate for a change, instead of participating in kvetching about promo shortcomings and cursing at RCA and whatnot.

RE: Lost. I've actually enjoyed Lost this season, primarily because they seem to have stopped following the tailies and started focusing more on the characters I prefer. Sawyer has always been a bit "meh" for me. I find him more interesting than Jack, but I'm more drawn to Sayid and Jin on a physical level.

I have found Lost frustrating this season because the motivations of the Others is not at all clear, and their actions are illogical on the faces of things. I feel like the writers are just winging it, instead of having an overall plan. Also, I have found the almost unrelenting violence against the Losties to be upsetting. I kind of thought this part of the season would end on a more upbeat note than it did.

Jin - yummy. :D

I agree with you here Bottle...when it started I was like...cool we will know more about the others. Then...nada. Just some more questions...and they haven't shown enough of the connection to the original island mysteries. Sometimes I think they should abandon the flashbacks altogether. Just delving deeper and deeper into Jack, Sawyer and Kates psyche are no longer a draw cos what they showed this season didn't really add to how we understood them. They are just messed up...lets get on with the story already. But hopefully we get more of that in February...if they don't I may lose interest for next season.

YUP Sawyer, Jin, Sayid yumm.

On another note, I'd say you guys aren't the only ones who are avoiding posting on the main page of the CH, based on the slow pace over there. Interesting how posters come back at the mention of positive stuff though, isn't it? Almost like people are dying to have something to celebrate for a change, instead of participating in kvetching about promo shortcomings and cursing at RCA and whatnot.
Yup...and its not really about just having positive stuff...but a balance of both.

Whenever I go to these gatherings, I notice that there are typically others like me, people hanging by themselves along the edges, longing to belong, but unsure how to penetrate. Now, I'm actually a very shy, introverted person, but I've found that when I make the effort to introduce myself to the other "wallflowers," I get rewarded by a big smile and a sense of genuine gratitude. We'll chat pleasantly, and even if they don't become my best friend, they make the event pass much more enjoyably. I believe that there really are a lot of fans who crave the kind of friendships they read about on the boards, or at least, the kind of easy camraderie that is typically part of board culture. However, it's not always easy to make those connections in a party situation. It takes a little more effort, but it's worth it.

I never really thought of myself as an extrovert, but my husband tells me that in a crowd, to him "I come alive." Having attended several Clay-related parties, I'm realizing that about myself. But it really is EFFORT to do this, and some people have a hard time with that. What I don't particularly like is if people go to parties, sit in the corner without much effort, and then say "I had a terrible time, I sat in the corner and ate Cheez Doodles all night." If the effort isn't there, I'm leary.

Of course, I've never had a problem with public speaking either, and I know I'm an anomaly with that too.

I've got a board party coming up in three weeks. I think it will be incredibly interesting to see the interactions, just because of how fractured I see things at the moment. Will there be catfights? Or will people put on their game faces? Or will it simply just be a joyful time because we're going to be seeing Clay in a few hours? Stay tuned sports fans.

It's kind of odd, in a way, to meet someone you met off the internet. I realize that to an outsider, it would seem strange and maybe even dangerous.

This quote made me smile, because it reminds me of the IT show where Clay, during the cell phone bit, asked how the lady on the other end met the person holding the phone. "You met her on the computer. That could be dangerous." Hee.

But that's one of the reasons my family, except for hubby, knows very little about my Clay fandom. I think they just could NOT understand this concept of "knowing" someone only through an internet message board.

But when you've gotten to know people through their posts, it doesn't seem that bizarre. There is that initial thought, "Oh, so that's what you look like..." (not in a bad way), just in the sense that you're finally putting a face to a screen name. However, if you've had a rapport online, it's not that tough to continue it in person.

ITA. I feel that way with so many of you at the moment. I'd love for all of us to meet some time.

atinal, we're gonna have to have a date soon. (She and I have discovered that we're not all that far away from each other!)

Admittedly, sometimes I'm embarrassed by the MEDIA'S projection of the fandom. So often when the fans are highlighted in one way or the other, the majority of the faces and bodies shown are those of more....uh...mature, gravitationally dominated women...

Totally understand this, not because I don't think we should be out there supporting a guy like Clay...but just because it reinforces the sterotypes of the media has of Clay fans when really Clay does appeal to a very diverse audience. That is why I was happy to see the two tattoo girls...fairly young attractive and aside from the tattoo thing...pretty normal girls.

I'm really of two minds on this. Like muski and Ansa wrote here, I too do not like the stereotype of the Clay Aiken fan as what the media portrays. I've had experience with this before -- as a former Star Trek geek, I hated being classified with the guys who lived alone in their parent's basesments. :blink: There are lots of different types of Clay Aiken fans, and it really does a disservice to focus on one type.

OTOH, though...heck, I'm proud to be a Clay Aiken fan, and I somewhat fit the stereotype. Should I not be proud? I think not. I don't see any reason to not stand up to the media and say "yeah, I'm a woman who's almost in middle age range, who thinks Clay Aiken is pretty damn cool. What's it to ya?" Know what I mean? Just because I may fit a possible stereotype doesn't mean my opinion isn't valid. It's always bugged me a bit that the people who seemingly complained the most frequently about Clay fans being characterized as middle aged white women...were middle aged white women.

OK, I'm off my soap box now. Y'all can shoot me later.

I've not read over there for a few weeks, and have not posted in just as long. The first real time I had a twinge of wanting to go back there was the night when AIW was found. I so wanted to celebrate, but didn't have a chance. By the next day, the kvetching was back, and I was back to losing interest again.

I know keeping up a "constant state of celebration" can be somewhat difficult, tiring even. But that's why God created vacations.

Jin? Yum.my. I also find Locke hawt, actually. And I have a soft spot for Hurley.

*waves to luckiest1, whom I will be meeting for the first time very soon -- but yet someone I feel like I've known forever*

couchie I'm not sure but I think it was the JBT where I read several comments about fans sitting in the first few rows who had attended several of the concerts talking through songs and making editorial comments comparing this performance to that performance. There is a sense of entitlement that some of the hardcore fans have developed, that being one example, I think ansa's example of the fans bidding on and winning stub hubs, then complaining that Clay wasn't as personable as they wanted. Fans who say they won't go to a concert if they can't be in the first 3 rows. A fan who gets a meet and greet experience and gets to dance with Clay during WAYDNYE, but won't purchace ATDWs because she only likes 2 or 3 songs, or Clay didn't sing the songs the way she wanted. Clay's hair isn't styled the way I like it, so I won't watch any Clack of those performances. There may only be a handful of these fans, but they are vocal and tend to post a lot. I am finding FCA a refuge, because, try as I might, I'm not that good at scrolling, so it't good to come here and still see fans celebrating. I don't love every look or every performance but I sure think there are so many great looks and hundreds of wonderful performances to sustain me.

ldyjocelyn, I'm looking forward to meeting you too.

Edited by atinal

Hey! Here's a fun, harmless poll to vote for Clay in! Great question, actually...

Who's Sexier Than He Gets Credit For?

(And this is a cool poll cuz it looks like you can only vote once!)

ETA: because I have to....I just noticed that in the actual URL address, it reads thusly...

http://people.aol.com/people/package/sma20...1539441,00.html

and I almost spit out my nonfat, extra foamy latte with one Equal and some cinnamon sprinkled on top...coss I read "package/small"...

yeah. I did. Wanna make sumthin' of it? :glare: :lol:

Edited by muskifest

AP just put out an article on the Pickler that mentions Clay:

Though winning the nation's most popular TV contest has guaranteed platinum-plus sales for the champs, it's a different story for those who come in second, third or 10th. Except for Clay Aiken, each of the runners-up have had pitiful album sales. And those cast aside even earlier in the competition have faded into D-list celebrity oblivion.

snip

The lack of curiosity may have been what doomed the post-"Idol" recording careers of favorites like Tamyra Gray, LaToya London, Diane DeGarmo, Justin Guarini, Bo Bice ... we need not go on. Though Jennifer Hudson is about to make her movie debut in the hotly anticipated "Dreamgirls," and other "Idols" have had success in other genres like Broadway (DeGarmo is currently starring in "Hairspray") there have been no "Idol" contestants besides platinum-selling runner-up Aiken who have had credible success on the charts.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/15638019/

Hmmm, somebody thinks Clay is doing ok....

No dissing of the Cheez Doodles!

And I gotta agree with ldyjocelyn - it is something of an effort to make sure you have some fun (like forcing minions to agree that 7-8 "mature" women can actually fit into a Mercedes sedan - especially if you allow some body parts to stick out through the sunroof) - I guess what this fandom really has done for me is left me open to odd possibilities. They don't always work - but enough do that I enjoy the heck out of them....

Ah the first few rows at the JBT. I knew someone and went up to talk to them during intermission adn was basically told I didn't belong there because THEY wre talking. (it was a big critic right now who hated the JNT2005,but did take a part in it. When I said something about the seats, trying to be freindly,I was informed they paid big bucks to get theres seats and I really should go back to my slightly further away seat. (I was in row 7 The HORROR!!) So priviledge is certainly something that money can buy you. I just refused to buy broker tickets on a moral basis. I don't want to support them. It is nice that these small venues allow me a 2nd row seats, a 5th row center seat and 7th row aisle seat. Still not front row center, but I think the broker tickets will be harder to come for in these concerts.I am not complaining. There is a lot of money that the front seaters pay for camera equitment and I know there are some very friendly members of this cadre, but there are also the people who work hard to make you feel lessor than them. They also pontificate how Clay does everything wrong, but they still buy the best seats. And them comebak and mock the show. I liked it when one of the mockers came back and wrote a fangirly review and forgot about it,then later was talking about how they did not like the show and someone brought back the recap. This was thye same concert where Fear boaught a ticket lsat minute in the far corner (after I sold the 6th row for cost) and we decided to sneak her into our row with 3 not think people sitting on 2 thin chairs - Oh the humainty. But we had a great time.

Later at the after party,I did hear a story about how old my car was -- 10 years--it ran! and ran well! bought a new car and wish I had the old one back It ws clean and pretty, just did not have the latest stereo. So mocking one's life style seems part of the fandom as well. I will never be a spendthrift, so people will have to live with it.

Edited by playbiller

You know, all those slack jaws and glazed eyes in the front rows at concerts probably look pretty much the same from the stage. Hee. It wouldn't hurt my feelings if Clay looked out on the concert audiences and saw $$$$$ - mortgage payments, lawyer bills, diesel for the busses, Coke machine repairs... :D

Apparently, they haven't gotten the memo to disabuse them of that notion. Marketing needs to get on that right away.

Edited by bottlecap

Hey! Here's a fun, harmless poll to vote for Clay in! Great question, actually...

Who's Sexier Than He Gets Credit For?

(And this is a cool poll cuz it looks like you can only vote once!)

Man, that one was easy. I didn't know who two of the guys are. Spade can be funny, but sexy? Nope. And KFed is just slime.

ETA: because I have to....I just noticed that in the actual URL address, it reads thusly...

http://people.aol.com/people/package/sma20...1539441,00.html

and I almost spit out my nonfat, extra foamy latte with one Equal and some cinnamon sprinkled on top...coss I read "package/small"...

yeah. I did. Wanna make sumthin' of it? :glare: :lol:

I did the same thing. Great minds think alike. :P

Nice to see that. Thanks for bringing that over.

And WHAT body part was sticking out of the convertible? :blink:

You know, all those slack jaws and glazed eyes in the front rows at concerts probably look pretty much the same from the stage. Hee. It wouldn't hurt my feelings if Clay looked out on the concert audiences and saw $$$$$ - mortgage payments, lawyer bills, diesel for the busses, Coke machine repairs... :D

BWAH! And KA-CHING!

I've had seats all over the map when I've seen Clay. I've been fortunate enough to be in the front row twice (and one of these times, couchie remembers extremely well). I've spent extra money on TM for an upgrade, but never spent for brokers. I'm with play on that one, they're totally unethical, and I hate that people spend their money to scalpers. I've also had fairly bad seats for shows. But, in one instance, I got the best clack of my life by being in those lousy seats. The point is, though -- have fun with the show. Don't let the worry about good seats cause you to lose sleep.

And those people that show up time and time again in the front few rows, but yet later seem to not even like Clay all that much? I'm finding they are not worth my time of day. That's why I like it here.

Fun Busters! BWAH!

It's kind of odd, in a way, to meet someone you met off the internet. I realize that to an outsider, it would seem strange and maybe even dangerous.

This quote made me smile, because it reminds me of the IT show where Clay, during the cell phone bit, asked how the lady on the other end met the person holding the phone. "You met her on the computer. That could be dangerous." Hee.

This happened to me too. During the IT after Philly and the amazing Wilkes-Barre I was hungering for another concert. My friend and I started looking for tickets and found some good ones for San Jose. I doubted we could find a good airfare because it was during the week, but as fate would have it I found a great airfare and a great deal on a hotel. So we decided to go. I got in touch with a board friend who lived out there and we would meet up with her. When I mentioned this to my parents they both looked at me in horror. They honestly thought this would be very dangerous, meeting up with someone off the internet! I told them this was a Clay Aiken message board and they didn't really attrack axe murderers! :lol:

By the way, the person I was meeting up with was the inimitable Muski!!! :D

I haven't been to too many Clay parties. Most of the time faced with a situation where there is a room full of people I don't know I am very shy (although I do loosen up a little once I have a drink or two or three... :trink3: ) I tend to hang back and watch. We did throw a big party before Musikfest during the NAT for members of my old board and it was fun, but I was kind of involved in the planning and hosting of it, although it wasn't at my house. In the end I usually end up having fun, but it takes awhile. Despite my often big mouth, when I am first meeting people, I tend to be VERY shy.

We really do need to have an FCA gathering sometime somewhere. :)

Well, I have one free airfare ticket to anywhere USA good until Sept 2007. The bump gods were favoring me and I got bumped to the airport where I wanted to go, but could not find a reasonable ticket to get there, so I was going further away. It did involve a lot of running to make the flight though as they kept changing the gate before I could get there. Not good in the flip flops I wore so I can slip them off and on quickly in security checks.

At no point did I mean to say that all the broker buyers are all unfriendly, it is just some who seem to prefer the more incomed people as friends, plus being overweight and old does not allow my true beauty to shine through for the shallow.

I tend not to post on main as much because I don't feel like getting edited and there are things I want to say. Things, like, well, you should feel bad for calling! And When did Clay hire you to handle his career?

Although I think they are valid comments, I don't think they would stay long. Maybe I am not such a nice person, more crotchety - it would fit with a physical description.

Well, back to work -too beautiful to stay in anymore, I am outside painting.

When I mentioned this to my parents they both looked at me in horror. They honestly thought this would be very dangerous, meeting up with someone off the internet! I told them this was a Clay Aiken message board and they didn't really attract axe murderers!

By the way, the person I was meeting up with was the inimitable Muski!!!

And your dear parents have been saying "I told you so" ever since, huh? :lol:

This reminds me of my first face-to-face meeting with a board 'friend'. When we arranged it over the phone, she said that her husband was very skeptical---he and the rest of the family were going to be away when I went to visit her. He just felt uneasy. I called her one day before I went and he happened to answer the phone. I introduced myself and we chatted for quite a while.

Later, my friend said me that her hubby told her he felt better now, that I didn't SOUND like an axe murderer! :lol: Since then she and I have visited each other's homes and spent time with each other's families, even though we live about 500 miles apart...and no one's been killed yet. (except by way of some hot fanfic chapters, but that's another 'story'...heh.)

BWAH! Just got a call from my new friend at the Chicago hotel. She KEPT my hawt pic of Clay that I enlarged and put on a poster board to welcome the Pink Posse to my suite...and said she put it up in her office...that "He's looking at me right now."

She thinks it's a rather.....good...picture... B) (It's the one used for the EP)

BWAH! Just got a call from my new friend at the Chicago hotel. She KEPT my hawt pic of Clay that I enlarged and put on a poster board to welcome the Pink Posse to my suite...and said she put it up in her office...that "He's looking at me right now."

Hotel in Chicago = Centrally located venue for a North American FCA-Fest?

Sniff I wish I was so untethered...I almost always have to do it with a family vacation...

I'm in! But of course, it's easy for me, simply a 3 hour drive.

When I mentioned this to my parents they both looked at me in horror. They honestly thought this would be very dangerous, meeting up with someone off the internet! I told them this was a Clay Aiken message board and they didn't really attract axe murderers!

Oddly enough, or maybe its not so odd, they like you! Especially my father! He was most impressed when you met! :lol:

I could do that - or y'all could come to my house - I swear I'd have at least 75% of the cat hair removed!

I could do either, assuming I am employed and have the money. And I am already used to cat hair! :lol:

Oddly enough, or maybe its not so odd, they like you! Especially my father! He was most impressed when you met! :lol:

I could do that - or y'all could come to my house - I swear I'd have at least 75% of the cat hair removed!

I could do either, assuming I am employed and have the money. And I am already used to cat hair! :lol:

Hey, Chicago - Just an inexpensive train ride away.