#5 (plus #6 & #7) - "Well....the weather outside is frightful...but the man is so delightful..."

Ansamcw

I don't know...I guess I see these pictures of him last night as a sexy businessman who would debacle me, his secretary, on his huge oak desk. :P

I don't know - why can't he be the eager young intern, with the big oak desk in the corner office belonging to the high-powered female business executive?

What.

I suppose it would depend on who you want to be dominant in these fantasies.

Double what.

I'm willing to alternate.

Whatedy what what?

I gotta admit, I think that's a freaky picture too. Still willing to alternate.

While we're listing preferences...

I'm not a fan of the glasses, but I generally assume that when he wears them, it's for a reason (dryness, allergies, a sty, a corneal abrasion, etc.). Because of that, I can't criticize him for wearing them.

The hair has been better for me. I thought it looked great when it was a little wavier. However, hairstyles are so transient that it's hard for me to understand the importance some people seem to place on his.

Stubble... Sorry, Claygasm. Never been fond of the stubble. I've always preferred clean-shaven men, and I like being able to see his face.

That said, I didn't become a fan and stay a fan because of variable little details such as these. For me, it's the voice, the personality, and the heart.

While we're listing preferences...

I'm not a fan of the glasses, but I generally assume that when he wears them, it's for a reason (dryness, allergies, a sty, a corneal abrasion, etc.). Because of that, I can't criticize him for wearing them.

The hair has been better for me. I thought it looked great when it was a little wavier. However, hairstyles are so transient that it's hard for me to understand the importance some people seem to place on his.

Stubble... Sorry, Claygasm. Never been fond of the stubble. I've always preferred clean-shaven men, and I like being able to see his face.

That said, I didn't become a fan and stay a fan because of variable little details such as these. For me, it's the voice, the personality, and the heart.

Very well said JennaZ...I dont; always love Clay;s looks and there are pictures where I see more of the geek than the rock star. But then there are pictures and looks that just make me gasp. I thoguht my favorite look was the Martha look. But now I know my favorite is the Tyra and the Unicef lighting. His current look...I am liking more and more...like Jenna I like it a bit wavier but I think its getting there...

But yeah...basically I do not mind the looks and the outfits...I just like him.

I like him too! I really, really do. A lot. :)

I just freely admit to a terribly shallow side that notices his looks. B)

But I am not so shallow as to think that is all there is to him!

I think part of the thing to me is in the 3 years that Clay has been in our lives, he has had at least 3000 different looks! Each look seems to make news. To me, changing his looks as often as he does makes me notice them more, if that makes any sense.

But I have always hated glasses on him - and I don't wear glasses.

And I do love stubble. Yum!

But even without stubble and with glasses I would gladly partake in any or all of those fantasy sequences bottle and ldyjocelyn were discussing!

Edited by Claygasm

claygasm, totally understand your reasonings. And I do have to admit that, for me, it takes me quite a bit of time to "adjust" to each of his looks. The AI5 look took me about 30 minutes before I decided it was really cool. :P

The other thing with that, though...is that I compare the pictures from last night to that guy from AI5 and just shake my head. What a difference in a few short months. Compare today to the guy auditioned for AI2, and the changes are simply astounding.

Thank you Jenna. When all is said and done, this really is the heart of the matter.

Speaking of heart...

Awwwwww....

Clay Aiken reads students’ book, treats young authors like American Idols

Like they did before a school assembly in May, the 19 Lower Nazareth Elementary student authors sat excitedly waiting for the program to start.

Some of the 5th graders knew what they were there for, of course, the VIP seating in Nazareth Area High School's auditorium and blown-up drawings of book pages giving away that the gathering was related to their special project.

Yes, they were going to be honored for "Our Friend Mikayla," the story they wrote and illustrated about their classmate who has brain damage and cerebral palsy.

The authors were right, but what they and the rest of the elementary school learned at just after 9 o'clock this morning is that the honoring would be done by American Idol finalist Clay Aiken.

Busloads of children -- the entire elementary school in fact -- filled the auditorium, and they listened attentively as Aiken read the book that tells the story of Mikayla Resh, a girl who loves lollipops and cheerleading and American Idol.

Aiken is founder of the Bubel/Aiken Foundation, a nonprofit he started with the goal of having children with disabilities fully included in everyday activities and events. His foundation paid for the cost of printing the books.

"This is a prime example of what we want to do … spreading the word of inclusion" said Aiken.

The fifth graders, he said, were perfect messengers.

After the assembly, Aiken hosted a private question-and-answer session with the authors that concluded with yet another treat: The singer had arranged for the children to return to the elementary school in limousines.

Someone just sent this to me by email....a new Clay article.

The morning call

Clay Aiken reads students' book, treats young authors like American

Idols

Like they did before a school assembly in May, the 19 Lower Nazareth

Elementary student authors sat excitedly waiting for the program to

start.

Some of the 5th graders knew what they were there for, of course, the

VIP seating in Nazareth Area High School's auditorium and blown-up

drawings of book pages giving away that the gathering was related to

their special project.

Yes, they were going to be honored for "Our Friend Mikayla," the story

they wrote and illustrated about their classmate who has brain damage

and cerebral palsy.

The authors were right, but what they and the rest of the elementary

school learned at just after 9 o'clock this morning is that the

honoring would be done by American Idol finalist Clay Aiken.

Busloads of children -- the entire elementary school in fact -- filled

the auditorium, and they listened attentively as Aiken read the book

that tells the story of Mikayla Resh, a girl who loves lollipops and

cheerleading and American Idol.

Aiken is founder of the Bubel/Aiken Foundation, a nonprofit he started

with the goal of having children with disabilities fully included in

everyday activities and events. His foundation paid for the cost of

printing the books.

"This is a prime example of what we want to do ... spreading the word

of inclusion" said Aiken.

The fifth graders, he said, were perfect messengers.

After the assembly, Aiken hosted a private question-and-answer session

with the authors that concluded with yet another treat: The singer had

arranged for the children to return to the elementary school in

limousines.

He is jsut tooo...sweet!!!

ETA: AWWW...I checked ...no one had it yet..but ldyjocelyn still beat me...hee

Well, hell.

I got all schmoopie and teary-eyed reading that article. Dang him! :( God, I love that man. I mean really, really LOVE.

Which I need you all to be certain you understand because I'm going to say that the last picture posted has me shuddering for all the wrong reasons. Whoa...just whoa.... :unsure::blink:

Now. On to my most recent Clayversion story...the Convention and Visitors Bureau woman---Elena--and I have spent the day together. Somehow...ahem...in our various car trips from this place to that one, Clay came up (AHEM!)...and....well, I just HAPPENED to have ATDW and my combo MCWL/AIW cds in my purse..

It didn't take much, though. When I told her I was going to NYC partly to see a Clay concert, she just jumped in with how much she always liked him, ever since "..he came out there and sang that Elton John song like he did...made me forget all about Elton John" (heh...her words, I swear!)...so one thing led to another and by the time we'd said goodbye, she'd heard "AIW, DSIAFCD, MGUCL, OHN, MDYK, OCOCE, and LAA, IYDKMBN and HYCA.!!!!!!

She was driving during these songs and sometimes she'd turn up the volume and other times she'd just look at the CD player in awe! It was so cute. She'd say appropriate things like, "OMG! Listen at how low he goes down..." (I was SOOO proud of myself for only nodding at such a juicy line...) or "His voice is so...soothing, it just..."

I said, "Makes you feel good?"

She replied, "YEAH! YEAH! Exactly!"

Long story shorter....she wrote down the names of the cds 'coss she's gonna go out and buy them

AND

She's going to try to get tickets to his Florida concert on the 19th or 20th or whenever it is! :o

I told her about the JBT and how versatile he was and fun and so she made me promise (Damned near twisted my arm to get me to agree, too! :lol: ) that I'd send her a DVD of the JBT!

My work here in Ft. Lauderdale is done. ;)

Yep, Ansa, and the great thing is that in my work, I get to travel to a number of places and spend time with hotel and CV&B reps all over the country. Believe, me...there's a trail of Clay Believers wherever I've prosyletized (ooh, that sounds dirty, don't it? B) )...I've sent CDs and DVDs and paperback LTS's here and there in my wake, too! ;)

Now...did you hear that they had to disable the comments feature on that wonderful article about Clay at the school because the asshats and gnats were writing horrible things? I don't know exactly WHAT those things were, but evidently, they were inappropriate enough for the website to remove the entire comments option.

I just don't understand. :(

Yep, Ansa, and the great thing is that in my work, I get to travel to a number of places and spend time with hotel and CV&B reps all over the country. Believe, me...there's a trail of Clay Believers wherever I've prosyletized (ooh, that sounds dirty, don't it? B) )...I've sent CDs and DVDs and paperback LTS's here and there in my wake, too! ;)

Now...did you hear that they had to disable the comments feature on that wonderful article about Clay at the school because the asshats and gnats were writing horrible things? I don't know exactly WHAT those things were, but evidently, they were inappropriate enough for the website to remove the entire comments option.

I just don't understand. :(

Just know that there is real ugliness in the world...too bad they are attracted by the light.

another article...love the last line

NewsOverCoffee.com

Clay Aiken at NASD

Thanks to reader JD Malone who posted this as a comment (under Shafer Choral Concert) that I'm reposting here for everyone to see. I also received confirmation from NASD Superintendent Lesky of the appearance. Aiken performs tonight at the State Theatre in Easton (read the article on his performance here):

"American Idol" star helps Nazareth students celebrate book's publication

Clay Aiken made a surprise appearance this morning at Nazareth Area High School for an assembly celebrating the book "Our Friend Mikayla" published earlier this year by the Bubel-Aiken Foundation.

Aiken read the book to the entire Lower Nazareth Elementary School gathered in the high school's auditorium. He also gave signed copies to the 19 authors/illustrators, now in fifth grade. The students wrote the book in third grade about their classmate Mikayla Resh. Mikayla was born brain damaged and has severely impaired vision and hearing. Profound cerebral palsy confines her to a wheelchair, her mother, Kimberly Resh, said earlier this year.

In the book, the kids write about their experiences with Mikayla and things they learned from her.

After posing for pictures and speaking to the authors, Aiken then arranged for limousines to pick up the students and transport them in style back to the school in time for lunch. The buses they came in that morning had already left with the rest of the students aboard.

One of the authors, Michael Allen, just about burst when he heard the news.

"Oh my God! Thank you! Is this a dream?" Allen said. "A limo is the best. It is like the first time I'll be in a limo. It is so awesome."

"Limos are for classy people," Aiken said. "You are classy people."

Okay, this is an occasion where the UNCC Alumni Gala thingie sweater 'n jeans are appropriate. :P I'm thinking Durham chewed up the black boots, since they seem to have been replaced by the big honking brown boots.

Seriously, what an experience for those kids, and they are having the opportunity to be great teachers to their peers.

Re: the ugly people referred to above...Divayenta from Ch brought this Jonathan Swift quote and it's sooooo true:

"When a true genius appears in the world,

you may know him by this sign, that the dunces are all in confederacy against him."

~ Jonathan Swift

Re: the ugly people referred to above...Divayenta from Ch brought this Jonathan Swift quote and it's sooooo true:

"When a true genius appears in the world,

you may know him by this sign, that the dunces are all in confederacy against him."

~ Jonathan Swift

Oh I know...I've always thought that the road to greatness is never easy.

Okay, this is an occasion where the UNCC Alumni Gala thingie sweater 'n jeans are appropriate. :P I'm thinking Durham chewed up the black boots, since they seem to have been replaced by the big honking brown boots.

Seriously, what an experience for those kids, and they are having the opportunity to be great teachers to their peers.

Big honking boots is right!

The size of the man's, um, feet - yeah that's it - feet, never ceases to amaze me! I mean, look:

26838596.jpg

As for asshats and gnats - phftttt! There will always be bullies in the world. Evil has always and will always exist. Unfortunately it touches all of our lives in one way or another. But, I also believe that good more times than not triumphs over evil. Clay is a living, breathing example of that.

Even in glasses and no stubble. ;)

Doesn't that picture just make you want to cuddle up with him in front of a roaring fire while the snow falls outside the big bay window and you whisper into his ear:

Get a haircut, baybee.

NOOOOOO...I ain't gonna...hee

I am also posting this lengthy report in the approrpiate concert thread, but.....

Here is my Williamsport recap.

Except not really, in that I won’t bother telling you about the performance and how funny he was and how he’s getting much more comfortable with being smutty (playing with wood, indeed!), and how wonderful his voice was. I am sure you have seen all the clack by now anyway.

Instead I want to tell you about the audience. I could tell there was something different about them when they started singing along with the orchestra on their last two songs. I just assumed most were Clay fans getting into the spirit. But when Clay did his poll of how many had never seen him before, I was shocked – and Clay appeared to be shocked too – how many raised their hands! I would estimate a good two thirds of the audience had never seen him before. But every time I looked around, they were laughing and smiling and their faces when he sang were filled with appreciation. I have been to many concerts, including the very special Wiles-Barre IT concert, and I don’t think I have ever seen such an appreciative audience. Maybe I feel that way because I know most were not Clay followers. They were truly an audience where the Not.Us types outnumbered the Us types.

And they loved him.

I was sitting next to two of them. We talked before the show. They were amazed that some had seen Clay more than once. They asked if I had and were shocked that I said yes – a lot. I filled them in on a few things like the internet community and the friendships formed as a result. They had seen Clay on AI2, and liked him, but hadn’t followed him since. They lived near Williamsport and came in to see things at the theatre occasionally. When they heard Clay would be appearing with the symphony they thought it would be fun to see him in person. I warned them he looked a lot different! :lol:

When Clay came on I leaned over and said, “He doesn’t usually wear the glasses and I bet it will be all over the internet in a matter of minutes”. As you probably heard, Clay made this exact comment a few moments later and they both turned to me and said “How did you know?” When he sang TFN, I heard them both saying over and over “Beautiful”. They laughed heartily at all his jokes – especially the Kelly Ripa ones! I guess that news even hit Podunkville, Pa! And, they were laughing their heads off at playing with wood! I would estimate these women were in their late 50’s or early 60’s, but they got it!

When the audience started clapping along with Sleigh Ride, they were enthusiastically joining in. I saw one of them wipe away a tear after Emmanuel. And their jaws dropped along with the rest of us when he dropped the mic down at the end of DSIAFCD. I heard one of them say “He doesn’t even need a mic to sound beautiful!” And they jumped to their feet to join in the long standing ovation that followed.

Clay took a long time to come back out after DSIAFCD, much longer than usual it seemed. When he dropped the mic down my initial reaction was that there was something wrong with it and that is why he was taking so long to come back out. I had to tell several people there was going to be an encore song (the two in front of me left anyway. Oh well, their loss!). When he finally came back out the crowd went wild, and some annoying people started yelling “I love you Clay” – old Clay fans I’m sure. :glare: I feared for a moment it would be like the screamers we heard all too often during ICMYLM during the JBT.

But as the music started, it became so quiet you could hear a pin drop, except for Clay’s beautiful voice. It was almost as if no one breathed during that song! Right before the final note, his voice wobbled a little bit and I thought “Oh no!” but then he took a huge breath and he hit that final note and the crowd jumped to its feet and roared their approval. There was not one person I could see who wasn’t standing and cheering. The women next to me kept shaking their heads in disbelief and were clapping wildly.

This audience, most of whom had never seen Clay except maybe three years ago on AI, were showing him as much love as those of us who had seen him multiple times and spend far too much of our lives watching his every move, hair style, clothing choice, etc. I asked the women next to me what they thought and they said it was the best show they had ever seen. They said they couldn’t believe how funny he was and his voice was so beautiful. They both emphatically said if he ever came back to Williamsport they would definitely come see him again – and they hoped he would. I mentioned he had a Christmas album called MCWL that they could probably find and if they had a Walmart near by if they were lucky they might find his EP with AIW on it (I can’t believe I was drumming up business for Walmart! :o ). I also mentioned ATDW. They said they would definitely look for MCWL and AIW.

Now, I doubt most of those Not.Us types in attendance that night will be turning their lives over to Clay and start spending far too much time on the message boards etc, but I can guarantee you that many of them will look for his albums and tune in when they see he’s on TV and will most definitely come back to see him in concert if they can. He won over tons of people that night. They really, really liked him and they got him. He earned their respect and their admiration.

And you know what? I think they earned Clay’s respect and admiration too. There was something about the way he looked at that audience when he found out how many had never seen him before and how much they appreciated him. You know how during the JBT he joked about the same 5000 people coming to all his shows? Well, I think that night in a little in the middle of nowhere Pennsylvania town in the mountains he realized that wasn’t the case and he didn’t need Just.Us. to be appreciated.

One side note: I have watched the clack of just about every concert and I have never seen the orchestra as involved as this one was. The conductor was laughing and smiling the whole time. Many of the musicians, whose ages ranged from 15 to probably 60 or so, that I could see, were laughing during Clay’s stand-up act. They were really into this show and seemed to enjoy it as much as the audience did. And I would be willing to bet they left with nothing but good things to say about Clay.

Great report, Claygasm! Sounds like you had a great audience with you that night.

I haven't been streaming the cellcerts, but what I have been doing is downloading some of the full concert mp3's and listening to them during the commute to and from work. Last Friday, what struck me about the show was how much the experience of listening to his act reminded me of Garrison Keillor's NPR radio show, "The Prarie Home Companion." There's music, humor, and even a similar sense of folksiness. I once went to a Garrison Keillor Christmas show at the Disney Music Hall here in LA (breathtaking venue, btw) which included a full orchestra, and I remember imagining Clay in that place with a similar type of set up. Though Keillor is more of a humorist than a vocalist, his show and Clay's show were really not that different in style.

It made me think that a similar sort of concert/radio show could be an interesting option for Clay, one day. Most of Keillor's shows are broadcast live from his home state of Minnesota. However, he also does shows in concert halls around the country, which seem to earn him decent revenue in ticket sales. The shows include some storytelling, music sung by him and guests, a bit of audience interaction, and the occasional comedic skit. It's not a talk show, and I wouldn't want Clay to follow Keillor's format exactly, but such an opportunity might allow him to sing, to showcase his sense of humor, to talk to guests, to travel, or to work from Raleigh if he chose to do so. I could see him doing a show where every week, he'd sing a few songs, do a little interactive comedic stand-up with the audience, interview interesting locals, or maybe feature a local act. NPR may not be as high profile as television (and we'd miss the visual), but ratings pressure would be less and success could lead to bigger things. If done well, it could expand his fanbase, help promote his CD's, and bring in revenue not just from license fees, but from ticket sales. And I could see him appealing to the NPR crowd, an audience that tends to be less obsessed with what is "hip" or "cool." I don't know. Just a random idea.

Add a web-based simulcast to your your idea, JennaZ, so we could still have the visuals and I think your concept could fly.

Claygasm, I loved your audience report.

I'm thinking back to some of the naysayers who hated the idea of a Christmas Tour in the middle of what was supposed to be (HA!) the promotion time for ATDW. Think any of 'em will admit they were maybe, like, wrong? (HA! HA!)

I'll be back with more later, because I want to respond to several points, but I've got a quick drop off for y'all another article about yesterday's visit. I really like the title:

nj.com The Express Times

King of Clay Nation brings smiles to young authors

Tuesday, December 12, 2006

By JD Malone

The Express-Times

NAZARETH | Students of Lower Nazareth Elementary School gathered Monday in the district high school's auditorium to celebrate 19 of their classmates.

They had no clue that "American Idol" runner-up Clay Aiken planned to join them.

Aiken, co-founder of the Bubel/Aiken Foundation, which published the students' book, "Our Friend Mikayla," earlier this year, dropped in to thank them for writing it.

Mikayla Resh, who has cerebral palsy and uses a wheelchair, became the center of a biography written and illustrated by her third-grade classmates two years ago. Mikayla's mother, Kimberly Resh, wanted to thank everyone involved and planned the all-school assembly.

"If the whole school wasn't so wonderful to my daughter, there would be no story," Resh said. "They are just amazing children."

The student body, totaling 686 children, sat and listened as Principal Rose Allshouse and Resh thanked various people for their support.

Kristy Barnes, president of the Bubel/Aiken Foundation, announced the singer. The foundation works to have children with special needs included in the world around them.

Two girls from the school's chorus who were sitting in the front row fell out of their seats. The rest of the students sat still, eyes wide as Aiken strolled on stage.

Aiken brought presents. The authors climbed the stage one by one to receive an inscribed copy of "My Friend Mikayla."

An autographed copy will also be given to every student at the school.

"May I read the book to you?" Aiken asked.

"Yes," the students chanted.

Aiken read the book as the illustrations were projected onto a large screen. When he came to the page featuring himself on "American Idol," he stopped. "Who wrote this page?" Aiken asked. In the front row, Logan Houptley's hand shot up. "Come on up here," Aiken said, and he asked Logan to read the page.

"I didn't know I was (going to read with Aiken), so I was really nervous," Logan said.

Victor Lesky, superintendent of the Nazareth Area School District, thanked Aiken and the students.

"Mikayla has added so much to the experience of the students at Lower Nazareth Elementary that she by far meant more to us than we have to her," Lesky said.

Before leaving, Aiken talked with the 19 authors and posed for numerous photographs. He wanted everyone to know that his foundation is more than lip service.

"I think that I have always said that it would be my goal that if I wasn't able to keep on singing to continue with the foundation," Aiken said. "I would love to think that this book will be (the students') legacy in a way and hope that what we do is something that lives on far longer than my own life."

Aiken, who was to appear Monday night at Easton's State Theatre, broke a personal rule to never sing before a performance. Leaning over Mikayla as Resh held her, Aiken sang a few lines from "When I See You Smile."

According to Mike Resh, Mikayla's father, Aiken heard the students joke about wanting money for their book. Aiken didn't have money for them, but he heard one of them mention that riding in a limo would be cool.

Aiken arranged for limousines to take the students back to school. On his way out, Aiken broke the news about the limousines. The students burst with excitement.

"Oh my God! Thank you!" Michael Allen said. "Is this a dream? A limo is the best. It is like the first time I'll be in a limo. It is so awesome!"

In front of the high school, the young authors piled into their limousines. The boys in one car cracked open cans of soda from the mini bar and the girls giggled with excitement in the other. They pulled away like pop stars -- maybe inspired by Aiken -- to horns honking, camera flashes and a few parents waving.

Reporter JD Malone can be reached at 610-759-4599 or by e-mail at jdmalone@express-times.com. 1/3/à=(( 1/3/à=((

© 2006 The Express Times

© 2006 NJ.com All Rights Reserved

Add a web-based simulcast to your your idea, JennaZ, so we could still have the visuals and I think your concept could fly.

Claygasm, I loved your audience report.

I'm thinking back to some of the naysayers who hated the idea of a Christmas Tour in the middle of what was supposed to be (HA!) the promotion time for ATDW. Think any of 'em will admit they were maybe, like, wrong? (HA! HA!)

Um, NO! I am sure they will think of some reason it wasnt good....

Claygasm I loved your report as well! I am loving all the reports coming in as to the reactions to those who havent heard him b efore...

oh great TH is on the early show...my apologies to any fans...but I must hit my mute button and not look at that time..... :blink:

Love the stories about yesterday...and he sang WISUS to her....wah!!! LOL about the girls who fell out of their seats.....dont blame them!