#5 (plus #6 & #7) - "Well....the weather outside is frightful...but the man is so delightful..."

Ansamcw

Clay just posted a short blog about the Christmas Tree in his house with the fan ornaments. Pictures of the tree to be posted in the Media Section of the OFC "soon". Bwah! By Valentine's Day, maybe. Still waiting for those pictures of Chamberlin from June. :P

Dudley from CH had a very interesting post on her take on The music industry and Clay's place in it...

I pretty much agree with her post and will copy my response to her...

I do think this project...ATDW was mired too much in other issues with Clay's personal life. It truly muddied his media focus. I really think this project would be one of those that is most valuable in the lessons he takes from it. I believe once all the noise regarding his personal life settles down he can now really focus on his music.

I would point out that excellent recent interveiw where we heard a bit more of the song choice process...that was an interview that truly delved deeper into Clay's music. I think the more he is given the opportunity to talk this way the easier it will be for him to focus the message

Also...I think it will be easier to define his musical focus once he is working with original materials once again.

I know she was very frustrated about the "narrative" of this project and the way they tried to communicate Clay's musical direction to the public. I truly think this was not the year for that. I think even if they came up with a CD of original materials it would still be drowned out by the is he or isn't he question. Now that hehas satated he will not be answering that question...lets hope the media can now just treat him like the singer/entertainer that he is...and start talking about the music.

I think Clay got lots of instore promotion, lots and lots- there were not the posters - but a lot of that was determined by the store manager - the fact that supply has been spotty would get me talking about outsourcing again and the handling of this special Christmas album. BTW, I hear that Walmart is expected to have a "blue" Christmas - tsk, tsk, didn't have to happen that way.

Edited by playbiller

What a sweet blog he wrote. *sigh* I love him.

Promotion -- I agree with everyone here. The music business just doesn't know what to do anymore to get their "product" out, and they rely way too heavily on focus marketing. To me, that will never fit Clay.

As for dudley's post and Ansa's reply...I agree as well, although I do truly wonder if we'll ever get more out of Clay besides "I like to sing pretty songs." I don't know why exactly, but I feel he's one that just can't analyze to death why he likes a song in particular. He just DOES. Will we get more of his thought processes regarding the next album? Maybe...but for somer eason, I'm not holding my breath. I wish I could figure out why I feel that way -- projection?

Off soon to hubby's annual Christmas party. I hope to be home before the listening party this evening, though....

REMINDER:

TOnights AIW listening party will start at 9:30 pm EST...

The schedule will be as follows (using the EST guidelines):

• 9:30 – All Is Well

• 9:45 –Christmas Waltz

• 10:00 – O Come, O Come, Emmanuel

• 10:15 – My Grown Up Christmas List

Hope you can join us…we’ll have a grand old time celebrating with Clay! And yes, swooning to the religious songs is allowed. tongue.gif

I will certainly try to fill in the shoes of our hostess ldyjocelyn. Hope to see you all then...I ma so excited to discuss the different aspects taht I love about this EP.

ALL ABOUT CLAY GABFEST

I thought we can have the last Gabfest of the year on Dec. 30, Sat...9 to 11 pm.

the topic Clay in 2007....we can discuss our hopes and fears, speculation and predictions for the upcoming year for Clay...In the end I would like to generate a list of predictions made by the members and I would like to see how many of them would actually come true.

If this day is not suitable...we can always move it to Friday Dec 29...just pm me if you prefer taht date...If I get a lot of request I may consider it.

here is Couchie's FCA Englewood concert page

I do truly wonder if we'll ever get more out of Clay besides "I like to sing pretty songs." I don't know why exactly, but I feel he's one that just can't analyze to death why he likes a song in particular. He just DOES. Will we get more of his thought processes regarding the next album? Maybe...but for somer eason, I'm not holding my breath. I wish I could figure out why I feel that way -- projection?

I sometimes wonder if Clay is not yet at a place where he feels comfortable talking about music on a deeply personal and emotional level. I also wonder if it's why he has seemed so reluctant to write. Exposing one's soul to the universe can make one feel extremely vulnerable. At this time, it may be easier for him to deal with his music somewhat superficially. Maybe he doesn't have much to say about his musical choices because many of his reasons are primarily intellectual. "I like this song because it's a great song that fits my range." What I don't see enough of are reasons like, "I like this song because it reminds me of how I felt when X happened to me" or "I relate to this song because of Y." His narrative may seem unfocused because most of the music may not be that personal for him.

However, because he wrote the lyrics, Lover All Alone does seem like a personal song. I also think that it's the most powerful and universal, because most of us, at one point or another, have felt alone and longed to love. I just wonder if he realizes this. I think that once he feels comfortable singing deeply personal songs, the narrative will begin to focus. I don't think he has to write every song to make it personal. I just think he'd be able to relate to them on an emotional level he can articulate.

Of course, this is MY vision for him. I'll love him whatever he decides to sing. However, I can't help but believe wonder if he were willing to put a little more of himself into his music, or to admit what the music means to him emotionally, he would be easier for others to relate to. It's possible he's not quite there yet. However, if Lover All Alone is any indication, he may well be on his way.

I hear this tossed around all of the time about how Clay needs to talk more about the music, his influences and why he chose to sing this song or that song. I know some artists do this, but do they all? See, this is something that doesn't matter to me. I can find something interesting in all of his interviews. I don't have to hear. " Yeah, me and Timbaland were sittin' around, blah blah blah." I find what I need in listening to the songs, and how he interprets them. Fans don't want his record label to box him in, yet sometimes, with their expectations, they are boxing him in. It seems to me that Christina A did quite a bit of talking about her last album and while it sold well, it didn't do nearly as well as her previous efforts.

Yeah, in many ways my favorite singers are just conduits for my emotions...I don't want their stuff getting in my emotional way...I use music to intensify what I feel - what if they are thinking different stuff? What if they're thinking stuff that doesn't make sense to me? But then I think that's why I'm not artistic because it is very internalized for me...

Since Clay was gracious enough to take the day off yesterday, I took the opportunity to catch up on some of the Clack I had downloaded from the first 5 shows. I jump on videos that have "Banter" in the title. Highly recommended? xxx4clay's clips from Baltimore - she captured some side-splitting moments - the mythical baby mama story, cell phone discussion, and the tremelo demonstration. Some of these are big files, but in my opinion, well worth the download time.

Claygasm, have a swell time at Williamsport tonight!

Only for Clay do I get up early on a Saturday!

I know, its 10am. That's not early, but I have been up since 8:30. You see, I am like Clay apparently is. If I could sleep until 2 in the afternoon, I would. On the weekends I try. :P

But alas, my friends are picking me up at noon. That in itself is strange. I think this is the first concert ever we drove to that I didn't drive!

This is the first time I am also leaving my spoiled cat alone. Leaving Waldo behind to (hopefully) see another Waldo! :lol: When I have been gone before he has gone to my parents for Kitty babysitting., But for one night - and considering that my parents live a half hour away - it seemed ridiculous. So I am nervous about that. Remember, this is my first cat, who is treated mroe like a dog. But everyone tells me he'll be fine. Its only for about 24 hours. :unsure:

I am looking forward to the concert. I think I was more excited about it last week though! There are a lot of outside factors entering into the whole trip that may be putting a damper on things. Hopefully not, but still....

I have a feeling, however, that once that long, lean, hunk of a man steps out on that stage I will be in nirvana. I am dying to see what his hair looks like and if he still has his stubble beard (I hope he does!). And what he wears. Muski - maybe I'll call you after and you can make a report for me. I won't have a computer until I get home tomorrow. Not a laptop in the bunch! ^_^

Oh, and donn't forget for cellcert purposes, the concert starts at 7:30! I guess they go to bed early in Williamsport! I just hope there is a bar open! ;)

Better hop in the shower and get ready. I have a habit of being late and my concert companions are never happy about it!

It doesn't bother me that Clay doesn't talk about the music. I would rather watch him live it in concert. I almost passed on a couple of new clips because of not having the time but that SLC clip of OCOCE from Englewood is not to be missed.

Yes, it's true. I procrastinate...

What of it? <_<

Five million things to do here during my last day at home before my monstro trip. Been doing more Claying than preparing for it so there ya go.

post-98-1158235369.gif

gotta go....

Claygasm.....I'm SOOOOO excited for you! Let's see...if the concert starts at 7:30, then Clay will start at about 9? Say he's done at 10:30? That's 7:30 my time....well, uh.... :unsure: I hope I'll be home then...uh...getting ready for my trip?

post-98-1158235369.gif

GORGEOUS!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Love love love love love the hair, the stubble...the whole darn package!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yep, I love the package too.

What?

As for this “Malcolm” person – dude, you clearly don’t understand “circumstantial evidence” and what it is. Frankly, you want Clay and don’t know how to handle it. Really, people that flowery about his hair and clothes typically do want Clay. <g> I speak of what I know. <g>

Clay, IMO, is one of them. No matter how hard some of the Pod People want to think otherwise, he does not fit in easily with any radio format, not even AC. It doesn't even matter the song. If an artist is perceived as being strictly AC, for example, chances are they are not going to get played on a true Pop station. And Clay doesn't fit anything neatly, IMO. And without radio play, and with the labels - all labels not just evil RCA - promotions not being what they used to be, I think Clay got his fair share of promotion for ATDW. Would he have gotten significantly more with an album of all originals? Maybe a little, but I still maintain that it wasn't the content of the album that determined the promotion. I think it is just a sign of the times.

I think you’re right about him not being an easy fit on the radio – and that’s not about Clay, but about the state of radio. It sucks, actually. As for the promotion part, I would agree that great promotion is the exception, not the rule. I see great promotion going to people they think need it to get off the ground. Maybe I wasn’t paying attention, but we saw more of Clay on TV than we did a lot of top selling artists out there. They had radio, he has TV. :::shrug::: I think lack of promotion is crappy, but I don’t think it was specifically targeted at Clay and no one else. And I don’t necessarily think it will be different at another label – unless he negotiates for it.

the thing we have to remember...the music industry is in deep trouble...so they really need to be careful with promotions money. TBTP then looks to the tried and true formula and are more willing to invest in the sure things. When you think of it...Chris promo wasn;t really that different from clay except for the radio play. They probably spent more on his in store promo. But I don't even think he had a video before the CD came out. This tells me they were waiting for some revenue from the CD first before spending on the video. What gave Chris a heads up from other debut artist is the AI exposure...what gave Chris an advantage over other idols coming out with CDs this year is his rock style. put that together ...you get good sales.

Has Chris gotten radio play?? Where and on what kind of format? I haven’t heard him here on Top 40. Hell, I’ve heard nothing about him at all so I was shocked at his sales, but then realized that, yes, he did just come off AI. That helps tremendously.

Yeah, in many ways my favorite singers are just conduits for my emotions...I don't want their stuff getting in my emotional way...I use music to intensify what I feel - what if they are thinking different stuff? What if they're thinking stuff that doesn't make sense to me? But then I think that's why I'm not artistic because it is very internalized for me...

I’m thinking of it a bit differently. I don’t necessarily need to hear him analyze his music and how he feels about it. I just think he needs to articulate his direction, where he’s going. Kind of like what he did for ATDW, only much, much earlier and have it be *his* ideas and plans, not Clives. Does that make sense? I think it will only help him in the long run.

EEEEEEEEE for those goign to see Clay...

The anticipation is part of the whole experince. Claygasm, have fun!!!! Muski...don;t worry everythign will fall into place.

Heidi...I jsut read a post of dudley about Chris' radio play...it was pushed to mutiformat and is doing a good job but not exactly bruning up the chart either. here is an excerpt of the post.

In any case, it looks like "It's Not Over" has pretty decent bullets on Top-40, Hot AC, Active Rock and Alternative right now. I'd say "It's Not Over" is pretty much definitely headed for top-20 on Hot AC (the song is doing very well over there right now), probably headed for top-30 on top-40 (too early to say how much better it will do) and top-30 on Active Rock (with one of the format's stronger bullets). It's off to a slower start on Alternative, but has a decent bullet there, and should be top-50 next week.

I sometimes wonder if Clay is not yet at a place where he feels comfortable talking about music on a deeply personal and emotional level. I also wonder if it's why he has seemed so reluctant to write. Exposing one's soul to the universe can make one feel extremely vulnerable. At this time, it may be easier for him to deal with his music somewhat superficially. Maybe he doesn't have much to say about his musical choices because many of his reasons are primarily intellectual. "I like this song because it's a great song that fits my range." What I don't see enough of are reasons like, "I like this song because it reminds me of how I felt when X happened to me" or "I relate to this song because of Y." His narrative may seem unfocused because most of the music may not be that personal for him.

However, because he wrote the lyrics, Lover All Alone does seem like a personal song. I also think that it's the most powerful and universal, because most of us, at one point or another, have felt alone and longed to love. I just wonder if he realizes this. I think that once he feels comfortable singing deeply personal songs, the narrative will begin to focus. I don't think he has to write every song to make it personal. I just think he'd be able to relate to them on an emotional level he can articulate.

Of course, this is MY vision for him. I'll love him whatever he decides to sing. However, I can't help but believe wonder if he were willing to put a little more of himself into his music, or to admit what the music means to him emotionally, he would be easier for others to relate to. It's possible he's not quite there yet. However, if Lover All Alone is any indication, he may well be on his way.

I really loved this entire post. For all of Clay's "openess" toward us in a lot of things...he still seems pretty guarded with a bunch of other stuff to me. Music could be one of them. He can intelletualize music, but the emotional attachment may not be there, and I really think you're on to something there Jenna.

LAA is a great beginning for him, and I hope he took the fans positive reactions to it to heart. It really IS a universal song, and his idea for ths lyrics were right on the money, because he did seem to connect. Add to it the performance...and it works for me.

But I really want him to do what he wants.

I hear this tossed around all of the time about how Clay needs to talk more about the music, his influences and why he chose to sing this song or that song. I know some artists do this, but do they all? See, this is something that doesn't matter to me. I can find something interesting in all of his interviews. I don't have to hear. " Yeah, me and Timbaland were sittin' around, blah blah blah." I find what I need in listening to the songs, and how he interprets them. Fans don't want his record label to box him in, yet sometimes, with their expectations, they are boxing him in. It seems to me that Christina A did quite a bit of talking about her last album and while it sold well, it didn't do nearly as well as her previous efforts.

You've touched on something here that has ALWAYS struck me about the fandom. There's a distinct difference between "wanting" Clay to do something (in this case, talk about his music), and him "needing" to do something. Would I love it for him to talk about his music? Sure. Do I NEED him to talk about it? Not really. I get the feeling that some NEED for him to talk about his music, just so they can justify their feelings toward him.

And ITA on the box thing.

I think you’re right about him not being an easy fit on the radio – and that’s not about Clay, but about the state of radio. It sucks, actually. As for the promotion part, I would agree that great promotion is the exception, not the rule. I see great promotion going to people they think need it to get off the ground. Maybe I wasn’t paying attention, but we saw more of Clay on TV than we did a lot of top selling artists out there. They had radio, he has TV. :::shrug::: I think lack of promotion is crappy, but I don’t think it was specifically targeted at Clay and no one else. And I don’t necessarily think it will be different at another label – unless he negotiates for it.

BINGO!!! I wuv Heidi!

I’m thinking of it a bit differently. I don’t necessarily need to hear him analyze his music and how he feels about it. I just think he needs to articulate his direction, where he’s going. Kind of like what he did for ATDW, only much, much earlier and have it be *his* ideas and plans, not Clives. Does that make sense? I think it will only help him in the long run.

I think I agree with you here...but then that takes me back to the earlier part of this post. Maybe he's just not ready to articulate his direction...and he may take a LONG time to get to that point. We'll just have to see, won't we?

Claygasm, have a GREAT time tonight! And you too luckiest1 and cindilu2! (Did you ladies dig out from yesterday?)

I have a question, and the point of it isn't directed at anyone here, but I wonder, were any of these fan experts in the music biz experts before their Clay fandom, or did following Clay's every move suddenly propel them to expert level? Some of the statements I read are so cut and dried and stated like they are fact that it blows my mind, at least what's left of it.

I think the fan experts came because of the followong of Clay's career - it sparked an interest and gave people positions in the fandom. It is really one level of people who do the work and anotehr level of people who scam off what the other people post and make assumptions based on wat they think they have read.

My favorite part of pod arguing is the amount of information that is dismissed as not being important if it challenges the theory these people want to put forward - like CLay got less promotion than others - yet, he had the ins store tie ins for the fany pack at Best Buy and the Walmart sound check and special CD and the Kmart (now sears) special download and the itunes download. Now none of these comopanies handled it well could be a bit of predjudice on the line when told what was coming fromthe suits, could be the outsourcing fiasco and it could be the beneral inefficiency of a companies trying new typed os promotions. (in computer land - system testing has now gone by the wayside because the bottom line peope hjave decided too much time was spent on testing - better to let the application test for you and spend a million times more fixing it later)

So, I am having a pod discussion with people who are saying none of Clay's promotion means anything becasue he did not get radio play paid for and that is what sells records. I mentioned that it did not help Mario Valasquez much or even Ruben so much and I was told that was different and not up for consideration.

Heck even one of the pod people has openly said that RCAand AI are in cohoots and there is nothing anyone can say to dispute that, she will not listen - and these threads are considered discussion threads? Seems like the mods might want to step in there, but they won't since they have the same beliefs.

I have to go and get some equiptement, I went to fix my slightly collapsing ceilingand it all fell down and won't stay up.I can't find my staple gun, so I have to go buy a new one.

Edited by playbiller

I think if CLay talks about his music, he will lose fans - this is such a diverse group of people, everytime he sneezes, he loses fans. He needs more just fangirly fans, and skip the anlysis.

FIrst to go, I would expect, is the Rock!Star!Clay people. I say that thinking he will disavow this basing it on what he really sings.

Arlington Heights Daily Herald

This ‘Idol’ not achin’ for work

Clay Aiken takes time to talk with Beep about being a continuing success

Lauren Heist

Beep Staff Writer

Posted Saturday, December 09, 2006

It’s not bad to be second best, especially when you’re Clay Aiken.

He may not have won the grand title of winner of the second season of “American Idol,” but that’s not stopping Aiken from commanding huge audiences around the country a full three years after his reign on the show.

This former dorky-looking bean pole from North Carolina proved he can sell a lot of records by using his big voice and putting lots of emotion into his songs. His first single, “This Is the Night,” shot to No. 1 on the Billboard charts, selling more than 392,000 copies in its first week. He’s since come out with three albums: “Measure of a Man,” “Merry Christmas With Love” and his most recent, “A Thousand Different Ways,” which came out in September.

But Aiken’s voice isn’t the only thing getting him noticed these days. He became the subject of a celebrity ruckus recently when he put his hand over Kelly Ripa’s mouth when he was filling in as co-host of “Live with Regis and Kelly.” Ripa exclaimed that she didn’t “know where that hand has been,” prompting Rosie O’Donnell to label Ripa’s comments homophobic, even though Aiken has never said he is gay.

Aiken was in town last week when he performed a Christmas show at the Genesee Theater in Waukegan on Dec. 2 and at the Star Plaza Theatre in Merrillville, Ind., a day later, we had a chance to chat with the singer about the incident, his post-“Idol” success and what he wants for Christmas.

Beep: So, I wanted to ask you about the whole Kelly Ripa thing.

Aiken: Why do you have to ask it? Do people actually think that that matters?

Beep: How did it make you feel? Were you surprised by it?

Aiken: Oh gosh, yeah. I was very surprised. I had no idea I was such a big celebrity. Who knew it would, that would, cause such a controversy?

Beep: Have a lot of people been asking you about it?

Aiken: When I was flying back home from L.A. last week I had about five people stop and ask me if I would take a picture with them with my hand over their mouth.

Beep: So tell me a little bit about your latest album.

Aiken: It was really Clive Davis’ idea to do an album. He wanted to do an album that was a collection of love songs from the past 30 years or so … my favorite love songs. So he and myself … (we) worked together to select the songs that we felt were the best ones that fit me the best.

Beep: Your most recent album is covers of other people’s songs. Who would you want to cover your songs?

Aiken: Let’s see. It would have to be someone who I think is good but not so good that they’d do it better than me. That’s a tough question. I don’t know. I know a lot of people who I think are good. But you know I don’t really … know a lot of people who are true artists who can create something new, who are really artists who can really create something rather than just reinterpret … maybe someone like John Mayer or Alicia Keys.

Beep: Where do you see your career going in the future? What kind of stuff would you like to do?

Aiken: You know, I’ve always tried to be open to things. I didn’t expect to be where I am now, much less if I could guess where I would be tomorrow. It’s kind of like let go and let God. … There are a lot of things I’d like to do. I do like the TV aspect of what I do and that side of the job, so if more opportunities came my way that way (that would be good). I’ve always wanted to be a talk show host, so if that opportunity came along I’d jump and grab it. But, you know, I try to be open to different possibilities. I don’t know, maybe tomorrow somebody will ask me to do a movie. I don’t know. But who knows? If they do, I want to be open to it.

Beep: Have you ever considered going on Broadway?

Aiken: You know I’ve always enjoyed that type of thing. I always think it’s a compliment when people say I should be on Broadway because those people are singers who can just shell out a great performance eight times a week and I only do four shows a week. So I take it as a compliment because I think they’re great singers, but you know, if something comes my way, the right opportunity at the right time, I’d be up to it.

Beep: What’s the biggest change you’ve experienced since you became famous and since “American Idol”?

Aiken: I don’t think I could come up with just one thing that’s changed. I mean, literally, with the exception of — I was going to say my eyes, but I got contacts, so that’s not even the same — I can’t think of much that’s the same! I got the same feet. My feet are still big. I mean, my whole life has changed. I think obviously the biggest change is there’s no such thing as anonymity any more. I mean, I put my hand over Kelly Ripa’s mouth and it becomes a national story for three days. I mean that, to me, is the funniest thing I’ve ever heard of in my life, that anybody would care about that kind of thing.

Beep: Are there any people from your high school or your hometown that used to think you were a big dork and now want to be your best friend?

Aiken: I don’t think so. The people who used to pick on me in high school and middle school used to pick on me so much that they couldn’t show their face to me now. It wasn’t mild. I’ve only stayed in touch with two or three people from high school, that’s it. The people I’ve stayed in touch with have pretty much always been friends of mine. So it’s interesting, I’ve never really had that problem.

Beep: Are you friends with any of the people who’ve been on “American Idol,” your season or other seasons?

Aiken: It’s not really a fraternity so much. But if we have a chance to cross paths and meet each other, we all have that synergy. We all have that camaraderie because we do have similar experiences. I don’t really stay in touch with many with the exception of Kim Locke, who was my roommate for a year … and Ruben (Studdard), of course, I stay in touch with. And I do stay in touch with Kelly because we went on tour together. The other ones, you know, if you cross somebody’s path, you know, we always have something to talk about. I mean, think about it — there have been four seasons, so 12 each, there are really only not even 48 people in the world who have the same experiences that we have.

Beep: Do you watch “American Idol” now that you’re not on it?

Aiken: I catch it every once in a while.

Beep: Do you have any favorite TV shows that you watch?

Aiken: I’m a huge “Jericho” fan on CBS. That show is awesome. The finale’s coming on tonight and I’m so excited.

Beep: What do you want for Christmas? Do you have anything on your list?

Aiken: Well, my (28th) birthday’s tomorrow…

Beep: Oh, happy birthday!

Aiken: … and a lot of people have said they went shopping for me and they just were amazed that I am the hardest person to shop for. Being creative and trying to think of a fun event to do is probably the best.

I 'm loving many of these small town interviews...because besides the Christmas shows, they are emphasizing ATDW as well. And I really do think that he doesn't care about the radio promo all that much because he simply likes doing TV that much more.

playbiller, don't you want him to add "fanguys" too?!?!?! :P

Very interesting discussions

I really loved this entire post. For all of Clay's "openess" toward us in a lot of things...he still seems pretty guarded with a bunch of other stuff to me. Music could be one of them. He can intelletualize music, but the emotional attachment may not be there, and I really think you're on to something there Jenna.

LAA is a great beginning for him, and I hope he took the fans positive reactions to it to heart. It really IS a universal song, and his idea for ths lyrics were right on the money, because he did seem to connect. Add to it the performance...and it works for me.

But I really want him to do what he wants.

ITA with both of you. I do hesitate to delve deeper in Clay's psyche, but at times I think that he was always ambivalent about music. I always felt like he didn't want music to consume him. He wanted to turn away from being The Singer after high school so he does not go to music school...and then he chooses to become a teacher instead of pursuing a career in music. In the end, his talent cannot be denied. I think he finally accepted the fact that there is a plan for him and music is a big part of that. At this point I think totally giving himself to the creation of music is still a bit intimidating for him cos it gets so personal for him. But he may have no choice. That may be the only way he gets to define his musical direction.

LAA is very special cos its his first song and it was sooo personal. I do believe that song will have a bigger impact on his career. I am glad it was not on ATDW cos it would just get lost in all the cover issue. BUT I wouldn't be surprised if it will be prominently featured on his next CD...or if they try to push it for a movie or TV soundtrack. Not only is it an excellent song...it's pedigree is pretty impressive, a collaboration of David Foster and clay Aiken...that in iteslf is enough to create some buzz if they plan to push it. I do believe that song will be big someday.

You've touched on something here that has ALWAYS struck me about the fandom. There's a distinct difference between "wanting" Clay to do something (in this case, talk about his music), and him "needing" to do something. Would I love it for him to talk about his music? Sure. Do I NEED him to talk about it? Not really. I get the feeling that some NEED for him to talk about his music, just so they can justify their feelings toward him.

YUP...I think the need is brought about by their need for Clay to gain industry respect...not really for himself, but for them. Its like the parents that are constantly living through their children. They want Clay to do the things that will make him successful so that they can be part of a successful team.The fact is, Clay has talked about his music...but he talks about singing pretty songs, being an interpreter, wanting music to be like it was before...and this is not really what the cool kids are talking about. So they skim over that part. They get selective amnesia. They want him to talk about his music...but only the music they want to hear from him.

I think I agree with you here...but then that takes me back to the earlier part of this post. Maybe he's just not ready to articulate his direction...and he may take a LONG time to get to that point. We'll just have to see, won't we?

I agree with this too...If he can finally pinpoint what his music and direction will be...it will probably help in his marketing and promo.

BUT I also agree with this.

I think if CLay talks about his music, he will lose fans - this is such a diverse group of people, everytime he sneezes, he loses fans. He needs more just fangirly fans, and skip the anlysis.

FIrst to go, I would expect, is the Rock!Star!Clay people. I say that thinking he will disavow this basing it on what he really sings.

Yes...and I really don;t mind, because once he sets his musical direction...he can try to build his fan base by making that the selling point. I really think a lot of the fans that are blaming RCA for all the ill that befalls Clay is simply looking for an easy scapegoat so they wouldn't need to assess their fandom. If they didn't like ATDW and they didn't get their rock star Clay then its just because RCA didn't want that for him...they have Chris, they didn't want Clay to compete...so Clay must be miserable and wanting to get away.

If Clay does finally set his direction and it is not what some people want...then who will they blame. IF what Clay really wants is not what they envisioned could they let go?

My favorite part of pod arguing is the amount of information that is dismissed as not being important if it challenges the theory these people want to put forward -<snip>

oh yeah...and that they get to determine which statements Clay made are throwaway statements and which statements have deeper meaning and hidden messages. Yup they alone know what Clay is thinking...its really laughable. like Clay used mandate and all these posts were written about it and the pod people are a twitter...but he talks about his next CD and what the label has in store for him...and that is ignored...or is considered...throw away statements...sigh. They really can't see how short sighted they are.

Heck even one of the pod people has openly said that RCAand I arein cohoots and there is nothing anyone can say to dispute that, she will not listen - and these threads are considered discussion threads? Seems like the mods might want to step in there, but they won't since they have the same beliefs.
This is really so funny. I think what pod people can't see it that a lot of us are not saying that RCA is great or that they did a great job...I will not cry at all if Clay leaves RCA. Its just that they may be short sighted and even stupid...but they are not evil. Also this is not going to be limited to RCA alone, most of the major labels are using the same strategies and overlooking really great artists for formulas they can make quick bucks from. I don't think RCA are out to ruin Clay...he is just not seen as a priority.

I have a question, and the point of it isn't directed at anyone here, but I wonder, were any of these fan experts in the music biz experts before their Clay fandom, or did following Clay's every move suddenly propel them to expert level? Some of the statements I read are so cut and dried and stated like they are fact that it blows my mind, at least what's left of it.

The only "expert" that I really give credence to is Dudley...basically because this has been a hobby of hers even before CLay and she does observe all of the industry not just Clay. She has some contacts in teh industry but not in regards to Clay. Besides...she is very upfront with the extent of her knowledge. Most of what she posts are her opinion and never meant to be definitive. Now other so called experts, I don't necesarily listen to. I don't believe they can use their experiences in their industry and field, generalize it to the music industry, very different issues here, very different strategies involved. So those so called fan expert...who state things like they are facts...I don't really give their opinons to much weight. They are jsut like you and me...speculating.

Heh, ANsa - I did not mean to typw RCA and I = I meant RCA and AI - they are still so focusded on 19 tryingto ruin Clay. ?? Sometimes I wonder, because he is the person they always go to in the audience - the other "grads" are just identified with a title if they are lucky, some are not identified at all.