#5 (plus #6 & #7) - "Well....the weather outside is frightful...but the man is so delightful..."

Ansamcw

AWWWW...muski no one here is an expert...but I loved your perspective.

EEEEEEEEEEEE...don;t forget the link this time...CV is not that easy to navigate...hee

yeah I should just bookmark it... ^_^

Clay's soundscan numbers...

11 RCA 147 155 135 AIKEN*CLAY THOUSAND DIFFERENT WAYS 9922 -3 10247 425957

As for the EP - the pod people really are getting out of hand! When I read that I was so happy I could bring it over here and sanity would prevail! Phew! I suspect it was just a case of underestimating how fast it would sell. Of course, if people didn't go in and buy up their Walmart's entire stock there might be more for others. :glare: This was advertised as a limited release. In a way I think it was pretty selfish for some to go in and buy everyone the store had even if they had no one in mind to give them to when others - even some Not.Just.Us types - might not be able to get one because of it. And its very logical that Walmart/RCA would not invest the money into pressing more at this point.

I made sure, when I was going around last week and scouring every known WalMart in my area, to not take every.single.copy of the EP. I really did feel it important to leave at least a few copies for those people that DO make impulse CD purchases. But, at this point, I'm going out again tonight to look for more, because I have friends STILL who want more copies for gifts. I'm hoping to find them and purchase...but I wonder if it may be hopeless. If that many people were going around looking for them, and if they asked the management to get more for them, WalMart may have transfered copies from one store to another to cover shortages. I'll keep hoping.

...I would love to discuss this EP, Hope Muski can add her own opinions on the vox

:o

Oh, Lord, Ansa...I hope I didn't give you or anyone else the impression that I knew what I was talking about earlier re: vocal stuff. I love to sing and have a decent voice. I can look at sheet music and get an idea of what's going on, but I only took one year of piano lessons when I was a kid. (Evil stepfather made me quit for financial reasons, he said. <_< )...But I have NO expertise or qualifications to comment on his voice from any perspective than that of a totally twitterpated boob. :lol:

I would not call you that at all....I really appreciate your opinion about this subject. You know why? Because it keeps getting posted as "opinion." It never comes off as if it is "fact" here, which I think it does in other places with other people.

Actually... :unsure: When I read that I was completely weirded out because....well, you who are reading the Clyra will understand when I post the next chapter later today. I'm basically finished with it but...whoa! When I read about the bus Trivial Pursuit thing this morning....

Cue Twilight Zone music.... :ph34r:

EEEEEEEEEEEE! New chapter to read! EEEEEEEEEEE! Will it get me warm? Will it make my spine tingle? Will I be saying, "I know the answer to that one Tyra! Can I take your place?!?!?"

AWWWW...muski no one here is an expert...but I loved your perspective.

EEEEEEEEEEEE...don;t forget the link this time...CV is not that easy to navigate...hee

yeah I should just bookmark it... ^_^

Actually, I like the fact that you can track certain topics both at CV and EAYOR. They send you email when someone posts, I think you can limit it to once a day if it is a popular topic. Cool feature!

Clay's soundscan numbers...

11 RCA 147 155 135 AIKEN*CLAY THOUSAND DIFFERENT WAYS 9922 -3 10247 425957

It's gonna be a battle, but he's gonna make platinum. I know it. I'm psychic, y'all. :o

sigh.....I love this...a short but wonderful commentary on the concert last night by yamyam at CH

That ortchestra lady (Esther?), who explained the word of the day....I saw her at the end, slowly shaking her head and saying,"amazing, amazing".

Yep...that's our boyfriend, all right. I really do believe he's like the tortoise in that fable. Sure...other 'artists' are on the 'cool' track, streaking in and out of the fast lane, buffeted by fads and media pushes and kissass djs and payola and the bling being won and lost quickly...

But Clay is enduring (heh) and persistent and determined and so very gifted with both character and talent. And like that tortoise he'll eventually win the important races. All he needs is time...for more and more people to actually experience his voice and persona and inevitably, to fall under his spell.

I love him.

Another Clayversion story:

From smitten4clay's recap at the CB:

I gifted tickets to the Englewood concert to my sister and her husband,a retired music teacher(they live in Newton, N.J.) and she called me the minute they got to their car.(They both thought Clay should have won idol, thought he had a far superior voice and range than Ruben, and they know what's going on with him cuz I am always telling her, but they had not him him sing much because of lack of radio play, and she would say he wasted his voice on the "fly on the wall song")

Anyway, THEY BOTH WERE CLAYVERTED, HER HUSBAND(THE MUSIC TEACHER) SAID IT WAS THE BEST MALE VOCAL HE HAS EVER HEARD(THEY GO TO THE OPERA AND BROADWAY SHOWS ALOT AND MANY CONCERTS) THEY WENT ON AND ON ABOUT HOW AMAZING HIS VOICE WAS, SO TENDER, THEN SO POWERFUL,HIS RANGE AND HIS CONTROL,ETC AND THEN WENT ON TO SAY HOW ENTERTAINING AND FUNNY HE WAS TOO!!!

Well darn. No cellcert for me tonight! Its my mother's birthday - her 88th - and may we all be in the shape she is when we're 88 (and still going to Clay concerts!). She still cleans the house, goes grocery shopping, waits on my father hand and foot (and he's only 86!), goes out and rakes leaves and has been known to shovel a path up their very steep driveway in the winter because she is too impatient to wait for the person they pay to clean their driveway. She also does the NY Times crossword puzzle every week - and the one in our local paper. She complains because she can't do as much as she used to do!

Trust me when I tell you there are many days her energy is far greater than mine!

So I thought it might be nice if I went over there for dinner tonight instead of listening to the cellcert at home.

Although I may get home in time for AIW...... ^_^

Tell your mom "Happy Birthday" for me, CG....And tell her also to stop showing the rest of us "younguns" up with all that energy!

No cellcert for me tonight. Last night was really frustrating for me and I found myself putting off Carrie and her requests for help with her homework. Bad mom. :unsure:

So I'll just wait for the post-concert reports and downloads, selfish Clayfan that I am. Hee!

So according to someone who read this somewhere, Jessica Simpson's lousy performance at Dolly Parton's honor thingy was because her dress was falling off. Ok. Supposedly she got so distracted trying to hold on to her strapless dress that she just.couldn't.sing!

Ok....like someone at CH said, guess Clay's pants must've been really comfy last night since he sang the schiznitz out of everything! His pants were obviously too tight in Waukegan; that's why he botched the notes at the end....

Guess THAT's the night his zipper needed to be unzipped, huh? B)

Add me to the "no cellcert" tonight list. My bell choir at church is partying in a local restaurant! And yes, there will be wine. Yes, us Lutherans drink. Gotta problem with that? :P

BWAH to muski!

Happy birthday to Mama Claygasm! Your Mom is just a little older than mine...and my Mom loves the NYTimes crossword puzzles too, especially the Sunday edition. While she's been having many problems physically this year, her mind is still sharp.

Listened to the mp3 of AIW from last night. Guh. That was awesome. His lower register was in control, and his higher register was clear as a bell. Wow.

Attention Canadian fans...

From CB about AIW in Canadian Walmarts...

Update Dec 6/06

I finally connected with Holly tonight and she had this news to share with me:

The original shipment of AIW for Canada had flaws, so new CD's had to be produced. (She said it was scheduled to be released the same day as the Il Divo CD that was also only to be released in the US).

The new release date for Canada is December 19.

Holly said that she expects that there will be plenty of stock and all Walmarts will be receiving this CD. I asked her if she had the Handleman Rep # or the UPC for AIW and she said that she didn't, but that she would email her head office and see if they have that information. If she can get them, then she will call me and let me know what they are.

Once we know those numbers, we can go to our local Walmarts and ask for AIW using these numbers. Holly said that Walmarts should have this information in their computers either the Thursday or Friday before AIW is released. That would be either Dec 14 or 15. The only problem I see, is that nearly all Walmarts will be so busy by then, it may be impossible to find an employee who can do this for you - they may be too busy with other customers or they may not be the staff member who has access to their computer system.

I will update all of you when I get more information.

Happy Birthday Claygasm's mom

:00003653: :balloons: :2164: :fest09:

I hope she had a good one. I hope my mom's lives to see that age.

I have been listening to all, capturing every minute from the bleck notes to the it's just wonderful notes. Everything has been great. The banter, the singing and everybody putting in their opinions on everything.

I just want to bring out a can of whoop ass on some of my co-workers. All I have been hearing for a few days is the "note". Who gives a flying fig if he had one bad moment. It is over with and we have all moved on. Now I just wish those witches would just get off their brooms. Nevertheless, to say, I told them to listen to the Merriville and Verona concerts tonight if they get a notion to.

Okay rant over.

I hope to listen to the MP3 from tonight performance tomorrow.

((((HUGS, LOTS OF HUGS ALL AROUND))))

g

Awwww! Thanks everyone for the birthday wishes for my mom. She did have a nice birthday. Even my wayward brother showed up - and you have no idea how rare that is!

Heaven knows I have had my share of conflicts with my parents (mostly my father), but as we all get older I think I appreciate them more. My mother actually had an interesting life. She was raised on a coffee plantation in Guatemala. That's where my parents met after WW2. She had no formal schooling, but is very smart and very well read. She had never cooked a meal before they moved up to the states a year after they were married. Down there, even the servants have servants.

But at age 30 she moved to a strange country (she was fluent in English as her mother was from England and her father from Iowa), got a job and started a new life putting my father through college. Kids came late in life and she never even learned to drive until after I was born (and I am the second child). My father always travelled a lot in his jobs, so often times she was for all intents and purposes a single mother.

To this day she is stubborn, and independent and strong. She and my father will celebrate their 60th wedding anniversary next month and for putting up with my father for 60 years she deserves a medal!

Anyway, she's a cool lady and I know she would appreciate all the birthday wishes.

Clay content: She just does not get my Clay love at all! Oh well, nobody is perfect!

RCA is gonna tie a bow on his ass and offer him up.

Ahhhhh……guhhhhhh…..:::Thud:::

Let's try to apply my situation to this scenario...and immediately it doesn't work. I stopped watching AI after season 2. Sure, I'd catch an odd episode here and there, and whenever Clay appeared on the show. I love that he loves being on the show even today, but I don't need to watch the show every week just because he seems to. :D Therefore, if I was looking for a specific Clay Aiken CD in a store, and could not find it, would I buy another Idol's music, just to buy something? Um, no. I very rarely pick up music spontaneously. Yes, I would admit that there are fans of Clay who are probably bigger fans of the Idols in general. But I honestly think there are just as many, if not more, who are more fans of Clay. JMO.

Well, I’ve watched every season of AI since Clay was on. I like the process. I find it rather entertaining, especially if you are NOT invested in it in any way. But here’s the thing – and I think my way is pretty damn common – I buy the music of people I really LIKE. It has nothing whatsoever to do with Clay. I would imagine that is true for most of the population of the planet, actually. <g> I do spontaneously buy music – usually when it’s someone I’ve always liked but didn’t know they had a CD out (yes, it happens ALL the time even when it isn’t CLAY, duh). Clay does not dictate my music choices. Neither does AI. My own brain/soul does. Period. Why everything has to relate back to Clay and/or AI boggles my mind. Clay isn’t competing with just them, he’s competing with *everyone* - only not really because people generally like more than one artist. If you follow my drift. <g> Do additional sales happen because Clay is in the store and people went looking for him? Absolutely. Do additional sales happen because other Idols are in the stores? Absolutely. It works both ways and there is nothing wrong with either scenario. People are going to buy the music of people they LIKE, Idol or no – and there is nothing wrong with that either. I suppose it never occurred to *anyone* that they heavily promote one Idol that is NOT Clay in the hopes that people coming into the store pick up Clay as well?? Most of these crazy theories can be worked both ways. If you’re not invested in your conspiracy. <g>

Occam’s Razor, people, look it up.

I saw this cute story posted in the CH...

but its from CB

How some clay fans outwitted some djs...

Now THIS is what I was talking about when I said that the fandom needed to stop fighting the idiots and crying about it and start using the internet (and everything else) to their advantage. Be crafty. Don’t get mad, get even. Revenge is a dish….well, hell. Ya’ll know where I’m going. <g>

So according to someone who read this somewhere, Jessica Simpson's lousy performance at Dolly Parton's honor thingy was because her dress was falling off. Ok. Supposedly she got so distracted trying to hold on to her strapless dress that she just.couldn't.sing!

I hesitate to point and laugh at Jessica Simpson when I hate it when people do it to Clay. Just sayin’. <g> Fan karma. I'm going to try for the Clay route ('cept for when he's feeling the funny and in concert) - if you don't have anything nice to say, say nothing at all.

Well, this from Good Baby Brush on CH just wraps it up for me.

I think Clay is finally settling in to who he is as an entertainer. This is it. This is what he does like nobody else.

How many times has one of us said some variation of "once Clay defines himself as an artist," or "Clay needs to figure out who he is as an artist" and we've always been talking about music. But that was the problem. Because Clay can sing practically anything and is so very difficult to pin him to a single genre. He does them all too well. I mean seriously, put "Back For More" next to "I Know How the River Feels" next to "Signed, Sealed, Delivered" next to "Lover All Alone" next to "When Doves Cry" next to "Beautiful Star of Bethlehem" next to "If You Don't Know Me By Now" next to "All is Well" ... It's enough to give you whiplash. And it's what makes short-sighted labels *cough*RCA*cough* unsure how to market him. And radio stations unsure where to play him.

But I'm getting off track. My point is, that it hit me tonight as I was listening to yet another cellcert where he had the audience alternately splitting their sides with laughter and holding their breath at the sheer power and beauty of his voice. And I was thinking about how he's getting funnier every night and talking more, and finding ways to engage the audience and always finding a comeback and somehow still managing to sound stronger-voiced every night... he's honing his craft. This is who he is as an artist. Singing, chatting, joke-telling, audience-teasing.... he's finding himself as an entertainer. This is who he is. It has zero to do with genres or radio play. And it's what's going to propel him from big star to legend one day.

:nod:

As for Jessica, I actually haven't heard her singing this reported debacle of a performance, so I can't comment one way or the other. I wasn't really ragging on HER so much as using the story to seque into a snark on Clay. I did think it was funny that the whole wardrobe malfunction thing became a point of celebrity news again...especially after Clay's own 'malfunction' with his slipping zipper!

Admin Announcement

Well Bottlecap has agreed to be a mod as long as she didn't have to do anything. Yep, she's qualified. Thank you. I think there was a time you were our one and only member heee.

Also, since LdyJocelyn spends a lot of time doing adminy stuff we thought we'd give her the keys the kingdom. So you can now bother her as well as Ansa and I if you have any issues.

And as always, if anybody has any suggestions or ideas for the forum just let us know.

I totally agree with GBB. That's how I feel about Clay and have for a very long time. Great post.

Oh yeah, I'm more sensitive to celebrity gossip these days - especially of the mean spirited variety...and well even less serious. As much as I love Jennifer Hudson I hate how the media is trying to frame her relationship with Beyonce in a catty way. It deminishes both women.

However, there is still humour to be mined out there in celebrity land and god help me, sometimes I laugh.

Loved listening to Clay tonight..although he was in and out. I love his ability to take the absurd, even about himself, and laugh at it. Controversy King indeed.

Yup total WORD to GBB...

That is why I think he will have an unorthodox career. Right now, it seems that the only place for Clay's kind of entertainment is in Vegas or Branson...but I think he will carve his own place in the industry. He will find a way to do this on a larger scale...and I think TV is the way to go for him. How I would love to see him in a carol Burnett type of show...or that talk show he keeps talking about...But there will be singing in there somewhere. I don't think he can ever give that up.

From madison at CV:

I put my Baltimore banter videos up in Youtube so people don't have to download to peek. And it's easier to share across boards.

He was SOOOO funny last night!

Clay took ScrpKym's phone and talked to her friend Frankie:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ChKsXVVAwz8

Clay joked about ticket prices, about being fat, and he recognizes Farouche:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6hBkAOxbR6g

Clay bantering about controversies, Ripacritehand, and lovechild scandal:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XaiMdoWVrIw

EEEEE! I'll have to try to check these out on my lunch hour.

OMG ripagate/lovechild is hysterical. I couldn't tell last night if he was snarking about the new tabloid story but apparantly not. Man, I could not live in the glare of the celebrity spotlight.

Let's see - unlucky Clay is dealing with quite a list of problems lately: He's old, fat, balding, losing his voice, subject to wardrobe malfunctions, a bully to little blonde women, ambiguous about his sexuality, abused by RCA, and now he's a deadbeat dad. Poor bastard.... B)

Well Bottlecap has agreed to be a mod as long as she didn't have to do anything. Yep, she's qualified. Thank you. I think there was a time you were our one and only member heee.

Congrats bottlecap! You're a fine addition to the moderating team!

Also, since LdyJocelyn spends a lot of time doing adminy stuff we thought we'd give her the keys the kingdom. So you can now bother her as well as Ansa and I if you have any issues.

I HAVE THE POWER!!!!!! I HAVE THE POWER!!!!!! BWAHAHAHAH!!!

*ahem*

Thanks...I think.

Loved listening to Clay tonight..although he was in and out. I love his ability to take the absurd, even about himself, and laugh at it. Controversy King indeed.

The man certainly knows how to play to his strengths and weaknesses, that's for sure. But I love that about him...he realizes that even if he is a celebrity, he's also just simply a man too. He knows he has foibles.

Yup total WORD to GBB...

That is why I think he will have an unorthodox career. Right now, it seems that the only place for Clay's kind of entertainment is in Vegas or Branson...but I think he will carve his own place in the industry. He will find a way to do this on a larger scale...and I think TV is the way to go for him. How I would love to see him in a carol Burnett type of show...or that talk show he keeps talking about...But there will be singing in there somewhere. I don't think he can ever give that up.

GBB's post is spot on. The only (minor) quibble I have is about the RCA thing...because I think almost any record label out there would be pretty short-sighted regarding Clay. (And I may be wrong about that, too...we'll just have to see...) But the rest of it? Yep, yep, yep, yep, and yep. And ITA with Ansa here -- he really seems to be working toward the variety kind of performer -- talking, listening, telling jokes, poking fun at himself, and singing. Clay's future, IMO, is in TV -- he knows where the camera is, he knows timing of jokes, etc. Do I think this will mean that he never does a concert again? Heck no. He's a multitasker, almost to the extreme. Case in point: writing his book while being on tour. Two wildly different things, being done at the same time. Anyway, I believe that he'll never be able to fit in any box -- and I think he's cool with that. "Let Clay be Clay" -- said that from day one.

Congrats to bottlecap and ldyjocelyn you both add so much to this board and are among the reasons I like it here so much.

*blushes*

*adds gold star to atinal's name*

OMG ripagate/lovechild is hysterical. I couldn't tell last night if he was snarking about the new tabloid story but apparantly not. Man, I could not live in the glare of the celebrity spotlight.

He's so fun.nee. And I must say...the Clay Nation is SLIPPING!!!! How did we not know about this new tabloid scandal before he did?!?!?!? *g* But that also says to me that he's got people who keep tabs on all the rumors around him...I'm sure he knew about the crap from earlier this year way before many of us did.

Let's see - unlucky Clay is dealing with quite a list of problems lately: He's old, fat, balding, losing his voice, subject to wardrobe malfunctions, a bully to little blonde women, ambiguous about his sexuality, abused by RCA, and now he's a deadbeat dad. Poor bastard....

Wish I had his problems. :P

First and foremost, congrats to ldyjocelyn and bottlecap!!! You are both very deserving and am sure will be wonderful in your new positions.

And I promise not to do anything to make you actually, you know, have to do anything. :P

(bottlecap)

Let's see - unlucky Clay is dealing with quite a list of problems lately: He's old, fat, balding, losing his voice, subject to wardrobe malfunctions, a bully to little blonde women, ambiguous about his sexuality, abused by RCA, and now he's a deadbeat dad. Poor bastard....

BWAH!!

And before I leave for work, here's a pretty I found from last night's show.

115319740-L-0.jpg