#5 (plus #6 & #7) - "Well....the weather outside is frightful...but the man is so delightful..."

Ansamcw

Oh dear. Did you know the whole purpose the the Walmart/RCA exclusive EP was a bait and switch masterminded by RCA to sell more of Chris' album??? :blink:

Oh Lord and Taylor. That's the most preposterous thing I've read yet.

Is there ANY known protectant out there from pod people thought? Somebody, please say yes....

Oh dear. Did you know the whole purpose the the Walmart/RCA exclusive EP was a bait and switch masterminded by RCA to sell more of Chris' album??? :blink:

Yeah, that was pretty much of a reach even for a conspiracy theory, wasn't it.

I know one thing, Wal-Mart sure ordered a shit-load of the Garth Brooks DVD and CD sets, at my local store they are selling them for half price now $10.

At least we can be pretty sure they aren't going to be stuck with a lot of extra AIW.

Edited by atinal

Is there ANY known protectant out there from pod people thought? Somebody, please say yes....

Yes. Its called FCA.

hee that was one of the most convoluted explanations ever...hee...you really need the pod people super sekret decoder ring for that one.

some people must be on crack. I'm sorry but Clay fans didn't have enough clout to get Clay to number one,,,why is he a selling point for anybody else. If you're talking about CLay's internet fans then that theory is doubly wacky and again we give ourselves way too much credit. I have my own mind and when I went into the store to find All Is Well I walked out of the store with All is Well and that is it. We really need to let go of the whole idol comparisons. LET IT GO. Frankly I'm hoping that having all the other albums in the store from you know all the other idols with fans...they they say..ooh look, let me get Clay's as well.

Many Clay fan hate to support other idols and are very vocal in not supporting them. Has Clay ever helped sell any other idol. He couldn't even get his fans to pick up Kim Locke with him giving her a shout out every night and with him on the recording. Well I'll be going to see Dreamgirls before the year is out and probably buying Fantasia's album as well. I hope I don't get my Clay fan club card revoked.

So they're saying RCA forced Clay to record a Christmas album for the sole purpose of bringing in customers to buy Daughtrey CD's? Wow! It's amazing what the deluded mind can come up with.

Yeah and they deliberately kept the numbers low so of course we wouldn't be buying the EP and we might get tempted by Chris instead. This was necessary cos Taylor and Kats CD won;t be ready to use as bait for Chris so they will use Clay instead since they are both male artist...never mind that they have entirely different styles, image and market.

so in other words...Chris is the new evil persona that RCA is protecting to the detriment of so many of their other aritsts..YEah...that really makes sense.

Some of these theories really defy any sense of logic. I guess people who want to believe Clay is getting screwed by RCA can use anything as "evidence."

There's a lot of disgruntlement in the fandom. I get it. I just don't understand why people are wasting time concocting such absurd notions when there's quite a bit to be joyful about. He's singing in tour! The Clack's pouring in. He sounds amazing, and he's going to be on TV quite a bit in December.

Why spend the season in bitterness?

pod people shmod people., I am going to write my recap now and it won't be pretty for everyone. Hurumph, I did get a bit insulted tonight.

Clay was .... Clay. I went to the busses at DJS's suggestion, she hung up while I walked through the alley to ge to my car though. Everyone else had moved their car.

See ya later,

If I can't post a coherent sentance today, you will know it's because I keep thinking about the texture and strokability of last night's brown suit. Whoa, mama! %^&^%(*^*#$#$%!!!

Off to read play's recap and check out the Clack situation. I was getting frustrated with all the buffering on the stream last night, so I signed off early. I did see that there is an mp3, so that's a relief.

ETA: Just read that SecretlyLovesClay got video Clack from last night. :nana:

Edited by bottlecap

If I can't post a coherent sentance today, you will know it's because I keep thinking about the texture and strokability of last night's brown suit. Whoa, mama! %^&^%(*^*#$#$%!!!

Off to read play's recap and check out the Clack situation. I was getting frustrated with all the buffering on the stream last night, so I signed off early. I did see that there is an mp3, so that's a relief.

ETA: Just read that SecretlyLovesClay got video Clack from last night. :nana:

The buffering was very frustrating......not worth sitting through......

but I am listening to Merrillville on CD..sigh.....that went by much much too fast!

Aww I just found this elsewhere...I already posted it in the concert thread but I think everyone will enjoy it...

From scrpkym's Englewood recap:

Well, right around 12:10, Clay and Jerome walk out to the front of the bus. We hopped out of the car and crossed the street. There were about 20 people there. Clay is standing by the drivers seat, and Jerome comes out of the bus. Jerome says "Listen up! Clay wants to play!" And he goes on to say that Clay wanted to play a game, and whoever could answer correctly, would be allowed to go on the bus.

OH........MAH............GAWD!!!!!

Here's the test -- the first person to sing the first verse of ......... CRAP! I forget the name of the song! Darnit! Anyway....no one knew it.

Jerome and Clay left for a minute. Then they came back -- new test....

First person to name the president of the US that had the most children.....

NOPE! No one knew that one either. We're all screaming out president's names -- random guesses.

Clay said " nope -- wrong -- It's Tyler"

Next question......Name the capital of the COUNTRY of Georgia. Huh? Who the frick knew that Georgia was a country somewhere? (actually, I'd heard of it, but what the......???)

Nope -- no one got that one either.

Final question -- name the fourth largestest populated country. The top three are....China, India, US. What's number 4?

People are screaming out countries names. Clay is standing there pointing his finger, searching....he heard it. But who said it? He's searching......FOUND HER! No -- not me. But, it was someone I knew. (oh -- and the answer was Indonesia)

OMG! I was so happy for her! And playing with Clay was just sooooo FUN!! He was so animated standing up there in the bus watching us and playing teacher Clay. VERY VERY CUTE!!!!!! It was TOTALLY worth waiting around for THAT!!!

She got to go on the bus for about 5 minutes. She got her pic taken with Clay and got his autograph too. She was on cloud nine when she got off that bus!!!

So...after playing with Clay, there was NO WAY we were leaving until that bus did. We went back to the car and waited and watched. Like I said, he left around 1:45. We got out of our car and waved. He waved, did the sign language "thank you" and then he said to my friends and I "Will I see you tomorrow?" OMG -- I think Clay just asked us out on a date!!!! LOL! "YES CLAY!! We'll see you in Baltimore!!!!" He gave us the thumbs up and waved goodbye....and there he went.

the guy is hilarious...

yup the stream was frustrating last night. Apparently there was a crackdown on cellphones and cameras so the CH cellcerter kept it down. the singing was still great when you can hear it.

I want an mp3 of this concert...he was just vocally on last night.

Oh about the walmart EP situation...a non pod theory...

I bet that Walmart just ordered around 250K...it is a Christmas item and this is a last minute addition to their inventory..I suspect they didn't have any real plans to promote it cos that also costs money and they needed more lead time to put together a proper campaign, even if its just in store so they decided not to bother. I think their idea was simply to market it to Clay fans. I wouldn't be surprised if this is a deal that SAM put together to give Clay some added revenue and to develop a relationship with a big retailer. The problem is...with a very short time to prepare and to promote this item, I don't think Walmart was willing to commit to a very huge order...I bet they were surprised when a huge amount was bought on line. They had to close that cos they didn;t want to sell out before they got to the store, then they would not be able to use it as bait for Clay fans to come to Walmart. So when they brought it out it was quickly bought by the fans and now only a few are left ...it is essentially sold out. Now why don't they make more? I think the cost of making more CDs go up the smaller the order. They don't want to make a big order and be stuck with inventory...so they are happy with what they made and maybe bring out a bigger order with better promo next year. Clay made his money and RCA/Walmart are satisfied. The great thing about this is that they can use the sales data on this item to try and get a better deal with other retailers in the future...Maybe a Valentine EP...who know? But if it sold out fast ...that can only mean good things for Clay.

And frankly ansa, I think you're absolutely right - of Clay, RCA/the evil Clive, and Wal-Mart, Wal-Mart is the 900-lb gorilla in the room. They will do what Wal-Mart wants. If Wal-Mart wants RCA to dedicate Clay to the retailing gods, RCA is gonna tie a bow on his ass and offer him up. But I really think this bodes well if Clay does another Xmas EP any time soon - quick profit right now will seriously catch Wal-Mart's attention as this past November was bad for them and they are not expecting much better for December. Unlike the music industry, Wal-Mart's only goal is profits. Period. Clay makes them money (and has managed to forcibly drags a few unwilling customers into their stores). They like that stuff.

Also, now that Clay is apparently conducting pop quizzes by the buses, I'm looking to form a study group. Looking at his question, we need to invest in various versions of Trivial Pursuit. Though I admit, on the question on presidential children, I would have said "Jefferson - hey, you didn't say anything about legitimate children! You can't prove me wrong! Jerome, let go of me! Aaarrrrrggggh!"

Ansa I hope you are right about the number of 250K. I wonder if it was even that many. Basically, only the on line fans really knew about it. What ever the number, surely someone would be impressed to see a little EP sell so well with no real promotion.

In thinking about how the EP came about. Remember when we heard that Clay's WalMart videos (can't remember what they were called) got the most views of any artist they had previously used. I wonder if that response was what prompted Wal-Mart to request the EP? I also wonder if they will bring it back next year?

I love the bus story.

Before I forget...the All is Well listening party is this Friday night, December 8! The format will be similar to the other listening parties, although we're starting the party on the half hour (due to me being gone until that time...). Details are in this thread.

Yes. Its called FCA.

Oh good. I'm in the right place then.

Some of these theories really defy any sense of logic. I guess people who want to believe Clay is getting screwed by RCA can use anything as "evidence."

It really is amazing, isn't it? I read that...what to call it? Theory? Rambling? Craziness? Anyway, I read it, and was steaming mad. You probably can tell from my post earlier. Now, I try my best to respect all Clay fans, but I have to admit it doesn't always work. This would be one of those cases.

Let's try to apply my situation to this scenario...and immediately it doesn't work. I stopped watching AI after season 2. Sure, I'd catch an odd episode here and there, and whenever Clay appeared on the show. I love that he loves being on the show even today, but I don't need to watch the show every week just because he seems to. :D Therefore, if I was looking for a specific Clay Aiken CD in a store, and could not find it, would I buy another Idol's music, just to buy something? Um, no. I very rarely pick up music spontaneously. Yes, I would admit that there are fans of Clay who are probably bigger fans of the Idols in general. But I honestly think there are just as many, if not more, who are more fans of Clay. JMO.

There's a lot of disgruntlement in the fandom. I get it. I just don't understand why people are wasting time concocting such absurd notions when there's quite a bit to be joyful about. He's singing in tour! The Clack's pouring in. He sounds amazing, and he's going to be on TV quite a bit in December.

Why spend the season in bitterness?

Better yet, why spend your LIFE in bitterness? It really seems to me that some people have never quite gotten over several of the perceived "slights" that have happened to Clay, the anomaly being one of the first. That was over 3 years ago, people! There is so much out there to be thankful for, and to celebrate. As you said, he's sounding better than ever, we've got the clack to prove it, he's looking so fine...and people are concocting theories about why he hasn't sold more. I shake my head, and just wonder why they can't move on.

Aww I just found this elsewhere...I already posted it in the concert thread but I think everyone will enjoy it...

He's such a goof. I would have loved to know what the song was he wanted someone to sing. My luck, I would have known it. But of course, I'm in Illinois....like I could transport to his bus or something.

yup the stream was frustrating last night. Apparently there was a crackdown on cellphones and cameras so the CH cellcerter kept it down. the singing was still great when you can hear it.

I'm finding the cellcert thing frustrating for me personally. In my case, I think it's simply the fact that I've seen the man live, giving his heart and soul, and I'd just as soon preserve that memory, rather than listen to an underwater show where nothing can really be heard. BTW, this is not the fault of the cellcerters -- I'm thankful like crazy that they do that. It's just that at this point, I may not listen to too many more of these. I know I can't for most of the week anyway, due to scheduling with my life.

Oh about the walmart EP situation...a non pod theory...

I bet that Walmart just ordered around 250K...it is a Christmas item and this is a last minute addition to their inventory..I suspect they didn't have any real plans to promote it cos that also costs money and they needed more lead time to put together a proper campaign, even if its just in store so they decided not to bother. I think their idea was simply to market it to Clay fans. I wouldn't be surprised if this is a deal that SAM put together to give Clay some added revenue and to develop a relationship with a big retailer. The problem is...with a very short time to prepare and to promote this item, I don't think Walmart was willing to commit to a very huge order...I bet they were surprised when a huge amount was bought on line. They had to close that cos they didn;t want to sell out before they got to the store, then they would not be able to use it as bait for Clay fans to come to Walmart. So when they brought it out it was quickly bought by the fans and now only a few are left ...it is essentially sold out. Now why don't they make more? I think the cost of making more CDs go up the smaller the order. They don't want to make a big order and be stuck with inventory...so they are happy with what they made and maybe bring out a bigger order with better promo next year. Clay made his money and RCA/Walmart are satisfied. The great thing about this is that they can use the sales data on this item to try and get a better deal with other retailers in the future...Maybe a Valentine EP...who know? But if it sold out fast ...that can only mean good things for Clay.

I do believe this is one instance where someone underestimated the power of the Clay Nation. With new music, and a low price, I would have thought that WalMart would get a clue about this, especially with the preorders coming in fast and furious. But...there's nothing I can do about it now. I believe that Clay comes out great with this -- he earned some money, and built a relationship with a huge retailer (even if some in the Clay Nation cannot stand this retailer, waves at play and claygasm). I tend to believe this will work in his favor in the long run.

As for Valentine's Day -- I still say that the Dual disc DVD/CD of ATDW will come out at that time. *crosses fingers*

play, loved your recap, glad you had a great time!

Also, now that Clay is apparently conducting pop quizzes by the buses, I'm looking to form a study group. Looking at his question, we need to invest in various versions of Trivial Pursuit. Though I admit, on the question on presidential children, I would have said "Jefferson - hey, you didn't say anything about legitimate children! You can't prove me wrong! Jerome, let go of me! Aaarrrrrggggh!"

BWAH! And I've got the original Trivial Pursuit at home. I'll help you study!

My take on the cellstreams right now? Love that we have them, but if I can't hear the banter (like last night), I'm going to shut it off and wait for the recaps and the Clack. [Yes, I'm a bad Clay fan - at this point I'm more interested in the schtick than the songs.... ;) ] I'll still follow the shows, just a day or two behind the live versions.

Back to checking for Clack alerts, and doing some actual, you know, work. :glare:

I'm another that the whole live thing has like totally spoiled me, I'm fairly indifferent to cellcerts - I know in general I'll get clack; I don't care one way or another about be spoilered and will happily read all descriptions. I'm becoming a schtick person too, mainly because I know I'll be listening to the songs for the next 20 years but there is a shelf life on the schtick for me.

Well after many concert series..I have to say I love cellcerts even though 80% sound like they are under water. I live for those 20% clear ones and the hope that it's clear when something spectacular happens like Clay singing to grandpa.. crystal clear...and his final shout outs to his band mates last Christmas..also crystal clear.

Clay is giving quizzes now? Do you think I can learn everything there is to know before Saturday? I am ususally pretty good at Trivial Pursuit - unless its a science type question.

I enjoy the cellcert if there is nothing I would rather watch on TV. ;) I mostly tune in to the first one because, well, its the first one, and to others to get a hair and clothing report. Then I often keep it on while I am doing other things. But after I actually see the concert, I tend not to listen again until the last one. I guess once you have seen him live its hard to listen to the underwater show. I don't think I listened to one for the JBT. I was at the first (and the last 2), so listening to a cellcert never appealled to me.

As for the EP - the pod people really are getting out of hand! When I read that I was so happy I could bring it over here and sanity would prevail! Phew! I suspect it was just a case of underestimating how fast it would sell. Of course, if people didn't go in and buy up their Walmart's entire stock there might be more for others. :glare: This was advertised as a limited release. In a way I think it was pretty selfish for some to go in and buy everyone the store had even if they had no one in mind to give them to when others - even some Not.Just.Us types - might not be able to get one because of it. And its very logical that Walmart/RCA would not invest the money into pressing more at this point.

And yes, although I HATE Walmart with a passion, they are the nation's largest retailer so its good to form a business relationship with them. Although I don't want to see too many more exclusive CDs with them......

Off to look for pictures and then maybe even do some real work! Hey. I have my priorities in order! :lol:

BWAH!!!

Ansa I hope you are right about the number of 250K. I wonder if it was even that many. Basically, only the on line fans really knew about it. What ever the number, surely someone would be impressed to see a little EP sell so well with no real promotion.

In thinking about how the EP came about. Remember when we heard that Clay's WalMart videos (can't remember what they were called) got the most views of any artist they had previously used. I wonder if that response was what prompted Wal-Mart to request the EP? I also wonder if they will bring it back next year?

I love the bus story.

Well I do think they would order enough to make it worthwhile for RCA to make it. I also think that they would base it on how much Clay would sell in opening week cos I think that is a good indication of the buying power of the core fanbase. Finally there was that info some people got that the stores were going to get 100 copies...now Its possible that this was the original plan but was not impemented cos it sold out pretty early. I think people should just remember that Walmart is a big corporation that works on the premise of go cheap sell in volumes and sell fast...they have tons of other inventory...they won't work to hard to just move one item. If its sold...that's all they are interested in.

Before I forget...the All is Well listening party is this Friday night, December 8! The format will be similar to the other listening parties, although we're starting the party on the half hour (due to me being gone until that time...). Details are in this thread.

YUP...I would love to discuss this EP, Hope Muski can add her own opinions on the vox.

Let's try to apply my situation to this scenario...and immediately it doesn't work. I stopped watching AI after season 2. Sure, I'd catch an odd episode here and there, and whenever Clay appeared on the show. I love that he loves being on the show even today, but I don't need to watch the show every week just because he seems to. :D Therefore, if I was looking for a specific Clay Aiken CD in a store, and could not find it, would I buy another Idol's music, just to buy something? Um, no. I very rarely pick up music spontaneously. Yes, I would admit that there are fans of Clay who are probably bigger fans of the Idols in general. But I honestly think there are just as many, if not more, who are more fans of Clay. JMO.

Even if ...and that's a huuuge IF...RCA and Walmart people think that Idol fans will buy other idols...why would they use Clay to bait for Chris...when Chris sold more cds and is the more current idol. I think they may use Chris to bring in people to help sell their inventory of Ruben fantasia and Clay...but not the other way around. If there is a bait and switch going on its to get people in with the EP and maybe get them to buy the other two Clay Aiken CDs instead for Christmas stocking stuffers.

OK listening to audio clack from last night...and I am getting verklempt...cos Its been awhile since I heard him sing this efforlessly and with such control and with the voice so full.

He is incredible. And its not just on the show pieces either...CW, HYAMLC, CS, MCWL...TFN...all are sounding so great. This is when I can gauge if Clay is just having an off night or has some vocal issues like a cold or is phlegmy...Last Friday he was singing with some difficulty even with these songs..now ...he is so on...great to hear that voice in top form once again. My only critique...these mics and recording devices are not good enough to really capture the beauty of his voice specially when he is powering through.

...I would love to discuss this EP, Hope Muski can add her own opinions on the vox

:o

Oh, Lord, Ansa...I hope I didn't give you or anyone else the impression that I knew what I was talking about earlier re: vocal stuff. I love to sing and have a decent voice. I can look at sheet music and get an idea of what's going on, but I only took one year of piano lessons when I was a kid. (Evil stepfather made me quit for financial reasons, he said. <_< )...But I have NO expertise or qualifications to comment on his voice from any perspective than that of a totally twitterpated boob. :lol:

And I'm in total, complete, unconditional love with the man who wanted to 'play' with the fans at the bus last night. Holy shit. Can I WANT this guy any more than I do? He is just....

Actually... :unsure: When I read that I was completely weirded out because....well, you who are reading the Clyra will understand when I post the next chapter later today. I'm basically finished with it but...whoa! When I read about the bus Trivial Pursuit thing this morning....

Cue Twilight Zone music.... :ph34r:

Now...KAndre, I'm going home tonight to dig out my Trivial Pursuit game so that I can be your STAR PUPIL! :lol:

PS. I love FCA. :wub:

Edited because I really don't know what a "START" pupil is. :blink:

Edited by muskifest