#1 - Ready for your constant state of celebration

Great analysis of the backups KAndre and thanks for the acronyms...unfortunately, I think some videographers are making mistakes left and right in their labeling of the songs. Last night Attic244 and I were trying to figure out what some videos were and we came accross an acronym that we couldn't figure out. One of them was NGTMLA...We had the set list out and yet it didn't fit anything. Finally she dl's it and it was Too Much Heaven...they used the first line of the song for the acronym...so if you come across something that totally does not fit its probably mislabled.

Let me join the Grease debate...I usually agree with Couchie but this time...I cannot...I loved Grease. I actually didn't think he was that self-concious when he was doing it. I felt that he got the swagger perfectly and I knew he was just having fun at Paula when he did the hip shake. I loved him for it because it showed he had so much sense of humor and totally does not take himself seriously. I think this is the time I really started falling in love with the man instead of the entertainer. And ldyjocelyn is so right...the vocals is to die for...it is one of the best ever and totally blows the original out fo the water.

The Backups...I love all three of them because they support Clay's voice beautifully. Specially Jacob's. In BFM his harmonies with Clay gives that song such an interesting melodic line...It truly makes it special. Same with EOTR. I think in vocal ability he and Clay are just about equal, he has a very wide range too...Clays voice is just so much more richer...its like the difference between hershey's and a rich swiss chocolate. And Clay is just so much more expressive in his delivery. But I think Jacob enhances Clay's performances so much without trying to get attention.

As a soloist I agree with KAndre, he is a risk taker he likes to go to the very edge that's why he has a tendency to get off. Same with Angela she really does crazy things with Think...I don't like it too much because I don't enjoy that type of singing, that is why I can only take Aretha and Patti at small doses...but I recognize that she is very good at it and lots of people do enjoy that type of R&B. Between Angela and Quianna, I think Quianna has a richer quality to her voice but as KAndre said she likes staying in her comfort zone but to me, Angela has more IT than Quiana...more star power. Quiana is cute but its almost like she is trying to much to please people...with Angela she is very confident that she is good so she doesn't have to over act...she just is. Very regal and stunningly beautiful. I do hope that these three continue to work together with Clay for years and that they evolve into a really tight musical family.

I really hated that soprano sax during the NAT. I just realized that I haven't even noticed the sax during the JBT and now I understand why. It no longer stands out on its own. I've gone back and specifically listened for it and I found that it really blends in as part of the band. I do love all the harmonizing we are getting on this tour. I do feel that Quiana stands out because of the physical reaction I get when she sings. It may be because she seems to have purer tones than Angela does for me. I'm happy that Jacob is not trying to kill any cats this time around. What he did at the end of Fire & Rain should be illegal.

I really think the thing I'm enjoying the most is Clay's interactions with all three of them. I was blown away with the video of WDC from last night when he went over and started singing to Maureen the new keyboardist. Wow, that was hot!

I also think Quiana is better than Angela and Jacob. But I give Angela a few more for her stage presence. But what floors me is how hard they all work from start to finish of that concert. They are working it! I'm so happy they are back with Clay. It won't be forever because I think they'll all move on to eventual careers... but for now..loving it.

Quiana is really having a blast. I can see it in the videos!!

Jacob, Angela, & Quiana really are working just as hard as Clay on this tour. It would not be the same without them. All four of the singers + the whole band work as a cohesive unit.

I also think Angela has great stage presence & I love her confidence in the way she happily flirts with Clay. I've always felt she loves teasing the audience with playing the whole "You just wish you were me" vibe.

Fear not, minions are allowed differing opinions until I pull out the sharks with laser beams attached to their heads...that involuntary physical reaction? A rarified few singers get that from me - I'm talking about Aretha, Billie Holiday, Etta James, Dusty, Whitney, Patti LaBelle, George Michael, Aaron Neville, Michael Jackson, Nat King Cole, Pavarotti, BJ Thomas, Hall & Oates, Roy Orbison, the Righteous Brothers, Anita Baker, Mahalia Jackson, Don Henley, Annie Lennox, Prince, Clay Aiken; and for some of them, it's only on a couple of songs. There are great singers who don't get that from me: Gladys Knight, Karen Carpenter, Mariah Carey, Celine Dion, Luther, Rick Astley, James Taylor, Paul McCartney...I will listen to the second group all day for years and have. But let me hear someone in the first group, just once, in general I gotta stop what I'm doing to listen.

I hear y'all - it's just for me, Quiana's singing, while excellent, doesn't give me that physical reaction, or make me seek it out to listen to over and over again...but for me, there really are very few artists that get that kind of reaction from me. And I really don't like her IWALY, because it sounds just way overdone to me. Whitney's version really wasn't that OTT, it was just dramatically different then her contemporaries and really well done - but you talk about overexposed...but you know, when it comes on the radio, me and my sisters will still stop to listen to it. I do the same thing with Dolly. Now, I would love to hear Quiana on something like, "And I Am Telling You" (because I never thought Frenchy's snippet was all that unusually spectacular either) because I think she could be dramatic without falling into camp.

Angela reminds me of a Diana Ross who actually eats and doesn't have the diva (now that was a DIVA with a capital DEE!) attitude - has a reasonable amount of vocal talent and a LOT of faith in it and some serious self-confidence...she has a total awareness of the audience and it is amazing to me how she and Clay established that flirt rapport from the get go - and keeps what seems to be the perfect amount of interaction going.

Jacob? Jacob really has a pretty high tenor that complements Clay's deeper one gorgeously (SSD, especially from Minnesota, was PERFECT to me) - what do they call it, Jacob showcased an excellent counterpoint? to Clay, and vice versa.

One of things that really impresses me, that since they have to sing with Clay - they get a lot more voice time but probably a lot less electronic modulation. I bet in a recording studio, with a little tweaking, it would be scary how good they would sound.

EEEEEEEEEE...the FCA pin page makes the papers! (Scroll to the bottom to see what I mean...)

Stuck on Clay

Claymania has spawned another phenomenon — pin trading. Clubs throughout the country and abroad design and have pins made with their main man's image: a maple-leaf pin from Canada, a palm-tree pin from Florida and a "Claydelphia" pin, to name a few.

EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE FCA has its own press. Very cool.

All this analysis of the backup singers has been very interesting. I instinctively prefer Quiana - I would buy her CD, but not the other two.

Ohhh, K'Andre, I like your lists, but I usually do like your lists, but honestly there are few artists that I can listen to over and over. I think that is one thing that has surprised me with Clay. I never tire of his voice. I do agree that these three back ups work very well with Clay, and that they are all working very hard on this concert. I haven't seen this concert yet. My only one will be Kettering. Over the years though, I have seen some pretty big acts and I am continually blown away with how, at least in my mind, Clay's and team stacks up against them. Most of my past concert experiences did not leave lasting impressions on me, or have me wanting to see them more than once. One of my best concert experiences, was the Elton John/Billy Joel of mumble12mumbleyears ago, why was it great? Because between the two of them they had a bazillion songs to sing, and they had been performing for years, but, to me, even they, don't hold a candle to Clay in personality, stage presence, and overall performance. (Maybe it's hard to do sitting behind a piano most of the night)

Oh, and Couchtomato and others, I do agree about Angela's stage presence.

EEEEEEEEEE...the FCA pin page makes the papers!  (Scroll to the bottom to see what I mean...)

Stuck on Clay

Claymania has spawned another phenomenon — pin trading. Clubs throughout the country and abroad design and have pins made with their main man's image: a maple-leaf pin from Canada, a palm-tree pin from Florida and a "Claydelphia" pin, to name a few.

EEEEEE I am happy to see that there. Actually I Thought we would be mentioned in the article in the OC register since she asked me for some info about that. But hey..its okay. I heard that they were doing this article on the Raleigh claymate and they asked my permission to mention the site...it is a thrill to see it listed. I wonder if this will increase the orders since lots of non internet fans would proabably be interested in a few of them.

From the CH...summery of Clays interveiw on Sunny 95's (Columbus)

By his all time biggest fan – Dino! (snark) Recorded a couple of weeks ago. I'll try to give you a brief resume. Can't remember it all. Please don't take all this as gospel.

D: How did the tour come about?

C: Last year we did the Ohio State Fair. This year they contacted us and we thought, what are we going to do this time? We can't do the same show.

D: Was it inspired by Idol doing different genres?

C: It intrigued me that on Idol the show attracted so many different ages and types of fans. Talked about Sedaka attracting viewers.

We started out with 150 songs, had a hard time paring it down because songs were so great. The songs bring memories back for people.

D: How old are you now?

C: 26

D: Is there one particular decade that you enjoy singing vocally?

C: Songs that I like from the 80s, the hair bands.

Ironically the songs that turned out to be the biggest joke and the funniest was the 90s. I almost had to apologise to people for listening to this stuff. Milli Vanilli. Motown most fun.

D: In addition to the decades you’re covering, you’re going to sing songs from your next album right?

C: We’re gonna do a few songs from the last album. (Can't remember whether he mentioned new songs.)

D: This season’s AI. Do you think it’s more competetive?

C: What are you trying to say? Don’t you think I could’ve done well?(snarky)

Dino said something about coming 2nd being a pretty good thing anyway.

D: What would you have been doing if you hadn’t been on AI?

C: I’d probably have the summer off. Because I was a teacher and I’d be having my vacation.

D: If AI had not shown up would you have pursued a singing career?

C: I don’t know that I would have. (Can’t remember all of this but he seemed to have a lot of respect for people who knock on doors and persist at a music career - very interesting though).

D: So all this is pretty much fate?

C: (think he agreed here)

D: Were you a good teacher?

C: Yeahhhh! (sort of defensive voice)

D: (Something like – out of all these questions that was one of the least confident answers).

Then they talked about coming back to Ohio.

C: Ohio is one of our favourite states. I think we’re coming to Ohio 3 times during this tour.

D: Are you coming back for the Christmas tour?

C: We’re not sure at the moment but I think you can pretty much guarantee that we’ll be in Ohio at some stage.

Questions that don’t matter.

PeanutButter:

Chunky or Smooth

A - chunky

Oreos:

Eat whole or filling first

A – I’m allergic but I’ll say the filling

Some question about toothpaste:

I think he said Aquafresh and he likes the silver tube

Day at lake

Day at beach

A – Day at beach

Beer belly

Or big butt

He didn’t really want to answer that. Think he said big belly in the end.

Dino ended by saying he was looking forward to him coming to the State Fair. Stacy said wow you were a little rough on Clay Aiken.

Somebody just won tickets to the concert but not sure she's a huge fan.

Clay's Executive Producer just posted on the official boards that Clay will be premering a new song tonight: "1000 Days"

Rumors have it that it has a higher glory note than BOTW!

Oh. Oh. Oh. Clay is strong in jojoct's Cary WDC. Very strong. Stroooong. Strong wiry arms bending Angela over and....eeep. I seem to be listing to one side and can't get up. Where is ansa? Our readers need this! If you gotta clear out your MS Office suite to make room - give it up. You GOTTA have this. Just GOTTA. I'm willing to pass a law allowing Clay as much polygamy as he can handle. Dang.

Okay don't panic we can have it up in FCA..the first vide we will host...so should it be Jojoct or spots...ah what the heck lets do both...

eta:oops...its taking really long to upload and I ended up doing spots first...anyway...you guys will end up getting both today, but probably will be up at ATCA too...

So I've listened to the mp3 of "1000 Days" several times, and I can't say I'm really digging it. To me, there's nothing particularly distinctive about it, and it sounds kinda 90's boyband to me.

I did put a comment in the feedback thread to JFL, although I suspect it may get about as much attention as the responses to Clay's blog. What I would really like to hear on the next CD is something that showcases Clay's beautiful lower register. I was disappointed not to hear the lower range on MOAM. I love the Elvis medley for that reason (Well, the hip movements and microphone humping add a little something to my enjoyment of that segment of the show! ;) )

Ansa, thanks for the Cary videos. I am anxious to check out the new moves in WDC! Unfortunately, screaming "FASTER, FASTER!" at Get Right doesn't seem to have much impact on the speed of the download process.

eta: Okay, after a rather rude interruption from a candidate for the local mayor's race (Dude, Dovus Interruptus is not going to win you any votes from members of the Clay Nation), I have watched the Cary WDC videos. Clay is certainly bendy, isn't he? If he's going to keep including Maureen in the song, I would love to see some actual contact, instead of Clay just crouching and singing at her. Just touching her face or hair would be extremely hot.

Edited by bottlecap

I find I am liking the new song more and more. I am really not a lyric person. Most of the time, give me a song with a good melody I will forgive anything. The melody of this one has captured my attention.

I am not totally in love with it that I will be bummed if it does not make the cut, but I will be quite pleased if it is. I don;t think every cut needs to be single material and I can see this playing in the background of a movie or WB tv show. I do hope they ditch the angel line..heee.

I am happy we are getting previews of songs...I do hope that Clay and JFL will still decide on the songs according to their vision of the cd and not according to what the fans want, because we can never agree on anything. If they love this song...then by all means work on it...and get it in.

Ahem...famewhoring to note in Ansa's little game - I got nine, yes, NINE of the songs - I'm especially proud to note Sugar, Sugar and Daydream Believer which were on nobody else's list! BWAH HA HA HA!

Ahem...

As the discussion about the horribleness of the lyrics to 1000 Days is still raging on the OFC -I was thinking....

My surprise love of this concert tour is End of the Road -

(spoken)

Girl

You know we belong together

I don't have no time for you to be playing with my heart like this

You’ll be mine forever baby, you just wait and see

(verse)

Jacob:

We belong together

And you that I’m right

Why do you play with my heart,

Why do you play with my mind?

Said we’d be forever

Said it’d never die

How could you love me and leave me

And never say good-bye?

Clay:

Still I can’t sleep at night without holding you tight

Girl, each time I try I just break down and cry

Pain in my head oh I’d rather be dead

Spinnin’ around and around

Chorus:

Although we’ve come to the end of the road

Still I can’t let you go

It’s unnatural, you belong to me, I belong to you

Come to the end of the road

Still I can’t let go

It’s unnatural, you belong to me, I belong to you

Clay & Company have changed the original lyrics a little.

So, are these great lyrics? Now I have loved this song from the first time I heard it (and lord, the movie was stupid) - they don't seem any worse than the ones for 1000 Days and EotR was a HUGE frickin' hit. Can someone who is really into lyrics if one is really worse than the other, if so, what actually makes it worse? Yeah, I know I'm asking someone to hammer into my head something generations of English Lit instructors couldn't accomplish, but I'm willing to sacrifice someone's free time for Clay.

So, are these great lyrics?  Now I have loved this song from the first time I heard it (and lord, the movie was stupid) - they don't seem any worse than the ones for 1000 Days and EotR was a HUGE frickin' hit.  Can someone who is really into lyrics if one is really worse than the other, if so, what actually makes it worse?  Yeah, I know I'm asking someone to hammer into my head something generations of English Lit instructors couldn't accomplish, but I'm willing to sacrifice someone's free time for Clay.

I'm right there with you KAndre, so I would love an answer to this also. Some one broke down the lyrics last night that made me love the song even more. She compared the story of the lyrics to "Love Story." Oh God, that did it for me. I will now ALWAYS love 1000 Days.

Some of my absolute favorites in this tour have 'inane' lyrics. It's how the artist sells the song for me.

I am inappropriately in love with the 60's Medley. It's just so much fun. I also really love the teasing that goes on between Clay, Angela, & Quiana. It's cute, sweet, & oh so hot.

Though I still thing the pinacle of all things hot was when Clay spontaneously sang to Maureen during WDC at Greenville. Actually it's not the singing part, it's when they are both moving up and down to the beat. Woah, I think I need to go watch that one again. ;)