#1 - Ready for your constant state of celebration

Just a minute - this is your FIRST concert bottlecap?? Do you have a plan for surviving? Friends with fans and other medical materials that may be necessary??? I can't believe both you and ansa have survived this long.

Oh, and kudos to world dominatrix KAndre for being Fan-o-the-Day.

Oh bottlecap another clay concert virgin!!!!1 I thought I was the only one left...Have fun tonight...and tell us all about it...Hope the banter is funny, the voice sublime, the audience respectful.

YAY to Kandre for being fan of the day...ya think they appreciated your STFU campaign?

Listening to the cellstream tonight I realize that he is tired, they are tired. After all the discussion of Clay's hi-jinks...I really feel that this is something he truly needs in order to keep the performances fresh and consistently give us great perfromances night after night. He sounds great as usual funny and incredibely entertaining. But I really detected a lot of tiredness tonight not only from him but from Quianna too. I think I am particularly sensitive because I listen to every cellstream and report on the concert so I do take note of how Clay changes as the tour goes on.

I don't know if most fans really apprecaite how incredibly difficult this concert is for Clay. First of all...he has loaded this concert with his most difficult songs...BOTW, Solitaire, WDC, UM and now 1000 days. These songs are usually delivered with much passion and with glory ntoes that go on forever. Then there is the fact that he is constantly changing his singing styles all throughout the show. This is something most male singers can't do. I doubt Josh Groban can sing in the Elvis and googoodolls style in one night. Then you have Sailing and ICMYLM that has to be sung with such delicassy and control...very difficult to do when you are used to belting out like Clay. He sings 65 songs...in different style it is incredible that he is holding strong vocally. Now add to this mix is that fact that he has choreography, costume changes and tons of script and banter in between. This is more thatn 2 hours of entertainment. That is very tiring and he is travelling from city to city...man its exhausting.

At this point I suspect they are going on pure adrenalin at times...that means their concetration can get shot or that they get punchy and crazy at times. I do believe we need to take that into consideration when they resort to hi-jinks to keep the tour fun and the group lose. In the end we are treated to a perfromance by a group of people who seem to be enjoying themselves and each other.

I understand that everything he will do in the concert will not be appreciated by all...or some jokes won't be funny but I just hope one single bad note..or a little giggling on a song won't become more important than the rest of the show. These people are human and cannot be perfect night aftet night...

Thanks Clay and the rest of the crew...I hope you follow your instincts and continue to find joy in your performances. If you are happy you will pass it on.

Thanks for the well wishes! I posted a lengthy recap over in the Toledo concert thread about my experience, which I hope makes some sort of sense. I'm typically not up and typing novels at 2:00 in the morning, but this was a special case. I expect the post-concert crash to come eventually, so I'm hanging on to the high while it lasts.

Bottom line: I had a terrific time, and I was very satisfied with the experience. However, I am content with having seen one JBT concert live, and will happily continue living vicariously through the Clack goddesses. Viva La Clack!

Ansa, I SOOOOOO totally agree with what you have written. This show is tough, really tough. Many seasoned performers couldn't handle everything he's doing...or else they are in one location (such as Vegas), with no travel involved. Another thing to add -- he's carrying the show pretty much by himself, no opening act. If I were in his shoes, at this point I'd be pretty fried, and it would come out somehow in my performance too. What he's doing is this: trying his damndest to put on an entertaining show. IMO, he's succeeding.

I just can't focus on a few bad things happening in a few shows. The ratio of bad to good still runs about 99.9% if you ask me.

I stayed away from the cellcert last night, in prep for going to see Clay tomorrow evening. EEEEEEEEEE! So now, I'm off to read bottlecap's review!

Anyone here compulsive banter downloaders?

Ansa, I tried to pick out a quote or two from your post & I couldn't. I found I wanted to quote the whole thing. Everything you said it spot on. I can't believe how incredibly challenging this show must be. I certainly can't refuse to allow Clay & company to be giddy occasionally. Now it really isn't fair of me to say that without saying this. I think I enjoy the 'bloopers' almost as much (maybe even more) than the 'perfectly' performed pieces. I love Clay's expression when he hit the wrong key on the piano at Musikfest. I LOVE all the teasing with all of the performers (especially Angela ;) ) The fact that we can have clack of all these unique moments is more than I could have hoped for. I'm sure I will eventually make a DVD of all the 'outtakes' because I find them so endearing. It's those moments I feel we get to see a bit of the 'real' Clay.

Um, that would be a yes, me! One of my favorite clips from the AI2 show was when they were at the Academy of Television Arts & Sciences & Clay was speaking to the audience. He said he was from Raleigh & one person cheered. Almost instantly he responded with "Yes!, but if you are here who's back home." That moment could be blamed for this obses.... er hobby for me. After that clip I watched the jaded journalist clips & that's all she wrote. I love a man with a quick wit & impeccable comedic timing.

bottlecap, I'm glad you enjoyed the show.

Um, that would be a yes, me! One of my favorite clips from the AI2 show was when they were at the Academy of Television Arts & Sciences & Clay was speaking to the audience. He said he was from Raleigh & one person cheered. Almost instantly he responded with "Yes!, but if you are here who's back home." That moment could be blamed for this obses.... er hobby for me. After that clip I watched the jaded journalist clips & that's all she wrote. I love a man with a quick wit & impeccable comedic timing.

OMG, you are SOOOO me! That was my "click -- lightbulb on" moment for me too. Right then, I knew I was at least going to follow this man for a while, although I have to admit it took me longer to get REALLY hooked. By Anomaly night, I was in for the count, but that Academy moment made me surely sit up and take notice!

I had a couple more thoughts to add about my concert experience at the Toledo Zoo:

Upthread, buzztechie concurred with Ansa's decision to see her first concert camera free. I think that's right on the money. I ended up sitting next to a woman with a huge telephoto lens, who was getting some great shots. I made sure to ask where she posted her photos, and voila, I know where to get pictures that are essentially from my concert perspective. Clack gathers and sharers rule!!

At the pre-party, one of the fans groups passed out white pennants with "Clay" in red script on them. They really made a great visual in the audience, and I hope they didn't mess with the Clack too much. I thought it was a really creative idea, and I intend to use mine for my pin collection. :lol:

I thought Clay seemed to be in great voice last night. He hit a couple of bad notes, but they were few and far between. The sound mix could have been a little better, but that may have been a function of where I was sitting. The drums came across as being really loud to me.

To all the Indy concerts goers: Best wishes! You get him after a four hour bus trip and a day off. Plenty of time to come up with new jokes and hi-jinks!

Hi, everyone. Got back late yesterday from my Clay concert experience in Kettering. Ansa and others, thanks for sharing your perspective on the so called "hyjinks" at the concerts. I guess I'm willing to give Clay pretty much latitude in how he performs at his concerts. Clay goes all out on this tour and I don't know if I can think of any other performer who could pull it off as well as he does. A lot of these songs are vocally taxing, and not just obvious full songs that have been listed. I believe he has taken special care to put these songs in context to give us a "feel" of, not an impersonation of the original. I love him for giving us this tour, and feel fortunate to have been able to attend.

As far as the "Sailing" incident goes, I was sitting in section D, I could barely see Clay, Jacob was blocking him from my view, so I was more listening to the song than watching it, it wasn't until the end when Clay kissed Angela, that anyone in my immediate area really noticed anything, and then most people just said, "what did he just do?" I never heard one person comment negatively about the song. My husband asked me on the way out of the venue, if there really was anything going on between Clay and Angela, I just said, "who knows" I told him that sometimes Clay says Angela is crushing on him, and tonight he said he was crushing on her. I think some who go to many Clay concerts, almost become professional Clay watchers or critics, and maybe that takes a little of the fun out of it, I mean if you can watch that whole show and only comment about the "Sailing" incident, it seems to portray a loss of perspective. So, Clay messed around a little during one song, 5 minutes of a 150 minute concert, the rest of the time he gave us his all. He had us ooohing and ahhing, smiling, laughing, some crying, gahing, awwwing, the list goes on and on. I know mileage varies and everyones opinion is important, but a few thousand of us sat in the rain most of the evening to watch Clay Aiken sing Monday evening, and I think we got more than our money's worth.

Thanks for adding your perspecting attinal. ITA on the professional watcher/critic statement. I think for some who does this...they jsut can;t let go of the fear that if he does not make everyone fall in love with him...we will lose him. I think others that have gotten in this mode just keeps seeing him as this newbie from AI. The kid that had very little professional experience. They can't seem to get see that Clay is a seasoned performer right now...How many times has he done this in the last 2 years?They still think he needs to be guided by us...I really don't think so. He has enough professional help and he is mad talented...he has great instincts as a performer...he is now the expert not us. I say just sit back and enjoy the show... the best way to go IMO.

I love me some goofy Clay. Maybe it's because I'm a concert ho and I want to experience all of him. I don't need perfection. And hell, I've seen him a million times already and I've seen him all sorts of ways. My absolute favorite concert is Sacramento IT. Heard of it? Of course you haven't cuz there is very little clack. I don't know if this is getting built up in my head more than it was, but I'm really trying to hang on to this concert. Clay was at his snarkilicious best. The closest I've seen to it personally was evening Raleigh but that doesn't even really come close. He was just a little devil that night and he had a naughty glint in his eyes all night.

I saw him surprise Quiana with the WDC dance in San Jose IT. It was fun to see that and how she dealt with it. But that song isn't my favorite song of the concert and I don't really download that one exessively. Which in my case means, I don't run and download it first thing cuz I download everything eventually.

Greenville and Wolftrap are two of my favorite shows thus far of this tour and they couldn't be any more different. I know he had some great MI shows but I'm beginning to mix everything up in my head about what happened where.

Last night I spent time watching some clack... and I loved the clack where he said it was HIS show - an answer to the critics who think he didn't pick all the right songs. Of course he didn't because everybody would pick out a completely different list if asked to do the same thing. I don't like very single song on the set list but that is to be expected. The songs I don't like I haven't bothered watching the clack (I'm looking at you Mandy) so but Clay has the ability to make me like most things. His voice is THAT good. I like the footies under the piano. And for people who want to blame anybody but Clay for the hijinks... he starts it all. Quiana did a great job not cracking up during Sailing as he stuck his foot over in her direction.

A week and a few days to go... I wish I could have spread my concerts out but just couldn't this time. Seeing him five times in six days might be overwhelming but ..hmmmm I think I can deal!

bottlecap, when you say "telephoto lens" what do you mean? Was it a professional looking camera?

Leg 1 of the journey to Indy is done. Whoo hoo. Now I just have to try to sleep tonight.

couchtomato the one thing about that many concerts in that short a timeframe is that by the last concert you're not so sad to see it end. You're tired and want to get away from all the crazies. Last tour at my last concert (Raleigh), the tiaras, bling, t-shirts, signs, etc (sorry KAndre) were out in force. I was glad to see the concert, but not sad to walk away.

skatejoy, I think it was an Eos Rebel (per her instruction manual), with what looked like a detachable lens that was quite long. Maybe that's not really what you consider to be a telephoto lens, but that's what I considered it to be in my mind. [Keeping in mind, my photographic experience is primarily with one-time use cameras ... stop cringing!] Based on the shots she was looking at during intermission, she was getting a lot of tight shots of Clay's face from the fourth row. She was definitely focusing manually, because she made a comment to another seatmate about not getting a shot because Clay came to an unexpected part of the stage, and she was focused for the other end.

eta: Can I tell you how happy I am to see Scarlett's Toledo Clack start to get posted? I saw a couple of video cameras dead center in the first row, and I was hopeful that one of them belonged to that extraordinary goddess of Clack! I'm also glad to see the WMV versions posted here, since I know I can burn those onto DVDs, which, by the way, my sister is already asking about.

Also, can I say I don't know how you guys survive traveling to multiple concerts? I rearranged my vacation, partly to accomodate my one concert, which was at a venue 20 minutes from my house. I left that concert dehydrated, hoarse, and with a sore knee from standing funny on the slightly sloped ground. I hustled home, wrote my long-winded recap, caught up on the boards, and finally tried to go to bed at 4:00AM. Gave up trying to go to sleep at 5:00AM, signed back on and did some edits to my recap, and watched the news. Went back to bed at 6:30AM, and finally got a few hours of sleep. Spent yesterday in a fog, with a sore throat, surfing around looking for Clack. If I had to add traveling and partying into that mix, plus actually providing Clack, it would be R.I.P. bottlecap.

Edited by bottlecap

Thanks for the camera info (single use camera??? EEEEK). Sounds similar to what I have. The set up which is in multiple ziplock bags within plastic bags all wrapped in my slicker. 40% chance of thunderstorms tonight. Yikes.

As for the multiple concerts, you get in a groove. You also leave your bags packed by the door and ready to go! Halls throat soothers help too! We're pros at this now.

Bottlecap...ahhhh you little amateur LOL. I remember back before the AI2 started and everybody was anticipating the concert. All of the tickets for the concert in my home town were sold out or close to it. I didn't even consider going. Of course that all changed after OMG OMG OMG OMG. I ended up going to 3 AI2 concerts. You do get into a grove about it all. I'm trying to write up my itinerary now so that I'll have all my info in one place. I've always been a good packer since my college days and coming home for the weekend and holidays. It can be exhausting but it's also exhilarating. The worst part is trying to catch up on the boards when you get home. I think I'm finally at a point where I can miss a thread and it wouldn't kill me.

Yeah, couchie, I'm an amateur, and will probably maintain that status. At least I'm not longer a "virgin". By the way, my niece was a little taken aback when the South Carolina ladies we were chatting with before the concert squealed: "Oh, you're a virgin!" at her. I had neglected to explain that little bit of fan terminology before the concert, so she thought they were making an extremely personal comment. :P

My internet company is enabling my Clack habit. A lovely lady from SBC called me today and offered me a speed upgrade on my DSL service, at a lower price than I'm paying right now. Gee, let me ponder that offer for a millisecond!

My tickets from two other Clay fans have arrived for the Cleveland concert. I'm really excited about the concert and lucky to be able to purchase decent tickets for 4 of us even at cost. Thank goodness other fans purchase extra tickets so they can get closer to the stage. Otherwise, there would have been no tickets for me at this late date. They are on the 8th and 14th rows of the floor. I'm a little worried as I don't care for floor seats but from the pictures the graduated seating is more towards the back and I didn't want to be so far away from the stage just to be in that section.

We'll have to drive to another city to see the show. I'm going because of the clack. Clack is also what got me to IT. Since you never know what the future holds, I decided that this was one show I wanted to experience live. I hope they'll be able to use the full set at this location because that is what I want to see. But if they can't, I won't be disappointed.

My hard drives are full. I'm still downloading but can't do much more until I save off some files.

The reviews baffle me some. What other singer could tackle a show of this length and all the different styles of singing? I've seen some of the greats and frankly found their shows boring not seeing that much variation in singing style from song to song. Some of the individual songs were fantastic but in spite of the noise I typically got sleepy and kept looking at my watch which was difficult to see until the light hit it just right. Shows how little attention I paid to the stage trying to see the dials on my watch in a dimly lighted venue. For example, I was with a group of Whitney fans when I saw her perform in Dallas. Her voice was great but she just stood there. They were disappointed. Her opening act stole the show. Now that I think about it, I had a similar reaction to Kelly. Appreciated the voice but not the performance style. My husband would differ in opinion but I didn't like the Rolling Stones in concert. Frank Zappa was actually kind of fun though odd.

However after seeing Quiana and Angela in concert, I believe they could hold my attention. When they sang with Kelly, I was actually disappointed that they did not get to finish their song. I'm appreciating Jacob much more as an individual artist. I always thought he did a wonderful job as a backup singer but as a soloist over time his voice seemed to get tired and he joked around too much during the songs. As much as I want to see Clay perform live, I'm also looking forward to seeing Jacob, Angela and Quiana as well as the entire band.

Edited by ivy

Thanks for letting me know...I'll have to tape Dateline tonight.

If you want a leather bound edition of LTS, you can order it here:

Eaton Press

Great Books

Custom Bound in Genuine Leather

Accented with 22kt Gold

CLAY AIKEN: LEARNING TO SING

Personally signed by Clay Aiken.

This is the inspirational memoir by the American Idol superstar. Clay speaks from the heart about his life and his astonishing success—with a few words about Simon! Includes 24 pages of color photos.

1 volume. 2 monthly payments of just $42.00. October 2005 delivery.

6" x 8 1/2", 258pp

Item No. 1470

Buzzie beat me to it....

I finished my pics. I had a new camera with me, so I was learning as the concert went along.....

Here are some favs...

He’s so pretty

Pretty proud of himself

Beads of sweat on Solitaire

For drummer fans

Having the time of his life

I can’t make you light me

What you say?

And the...

Full album

Great pictures, guys! buzztechie, I got a little distracted by your U2 photos. One day, Clay will fill stadiums.... Skatejoy, no pictures of Clay's security detail this time around? I wonder why. [coughNoJeromecough] I thought Derek was the cutest drummer ever, but your picture of Felix is making me reconsider. I'll get a chance to compare tomorrow when I go see Kelly's concert.

So I was reading out the check-in posts yesterday, and decided I needed to do a little follow-up with carol1957bikes, who commented she had won the meeting with Clay at GMA through the Womans Day magazine contest. With her permission, I am posting her comments and some of her pictures. Let her know what you think.

carol1957bikes' e-mail to me:

I am pretty bad at using my computer so Ill give you my story of meeting the beautifull CLAY AIKEN !!! I live in Arizona(Im actualy from Britain,been here 22 years) Womans Day Magazine flew my husband and I to New York to make my dream of meeting Clay come true.I wont give you all the extras it will be in the magazine,just the important bit,Clay. I got to watch the sound check,we had press passes.then got to see the GMA concert,When he was half way through Invisible a GMA staff member took us back stage.Clay did a meet and greet with some other wonderful fans while I was held to the side.I was so nervous and excited as he finally made his way over to ME !!! He gave me a big hug (he smelled so good ) I know he was talking to me but I just cant remember what he said,I couldnt stop looking at him!!!I must have told him my name because he signed a picture I had with me and he put to Carol !!! A GMA photographer took the official picture for womans day,but I have lots of pictures that were taken with my camera by the asistant editor.I held on real tight for the pictures !! he was wonderful.really patient trying to put me at ease (not a hope) I spent about 15 mins with him,he held my hand while talking to me,I just wish I new What he was saying,I couldnt get passed the green eyes,yummy!!!!!!!! I have been on cloud nine ever since.

I put Carol's pictures in an album, which I hope works! Please don't post these photos elsewhere without Carol's permission.

Carol's GMA Photos

Edited by bottlecap