#18: He has always had the VOICE! But, boy has he ever learned to use his instrument!

Ansamcw

Thread title poll  

43 members have voted

1. 1. What should be the next thread title on the FCA board?

• Cheerful snark, cheerful criticism, cheerful smut, cheerful acceptance, cheerful sporking, cheerful threats, cheerful maniacal laughter....
    • There are so many different kinds of beautiful...
    • He's blossomed from a confirmed nerd to an international bon vivant.
    • You never know when that rush of emotion will hit you when it comes to Clay!
    • All it says to me is that Clay's critics are full of s***, six ways from Sunday.
    • Clay Aiken:glorious voice, excellent comic actor, master of character and man in tights!
    • This guy is not only a star, he is a lot more...

EEEEEEEEEEE Thanks KarenEh for the update...wow, so colorful. It's 11 PM in california. What time is it there. Just trying to get a feel for your schedule. This is so exciting to see what you're doing on a daily basis. And watch out KAndre....you're being replaced :cryingwlaughter: Thanks for the pretties!!

Yep, you're right - that breath is hott! But, sorry, I'm not convinced on the rest of it. But I'm willing to watch more. :cryingwlaughter: The best part for me was the next song LLVL, not so much at first, but after he gets into it. I remember how fun it was.
See? One hot breath leads to willingness. LOL! Hey, ya gotta start somewhere....

:clap:

I finally listened. Yep, 'vows' is a great syllable! One of the best. Thanks again for pointing it out. There are other types of 'Clay syllables' I like, too, with totally different sounds, but those 3 (Toledo 'stars', BSOB 'yon' and now 'vows') share a certain quality. I could go on for pages on this subject....

It's that certain quality for sure... I knew you'd like that one... it's the one that started the love of and constant search for more "stars" moments. Don't stop. I'd rather talk about the sounds emanating from Clay's throat more than just about anything.

FromClaygary -- those pictures were gorgeous. We had open studios this past weekend around here too. I didn't go this time, but I do frequently -- here and twice a year in Berkeley. I love my open studio weekends!!

Wee, KarenEh? I'm so intrigued...thanks so much for sharing your adventure! And holy crap.. how do you take these pictures of Clay? WTF? From under a napkin? :cry4: I suck. :lol:

Couchie...you'll be glad to know I'm all caught up on Pushing Daisies, DirtySexyMoney, AND Boston Legal. AND I only watched two vignette videos! Hee.

Night all. I'm getting a whole night's sleep for once. :Thud: < --- Me, tired!

Couchie, I am twelve hours ahead of you in California. It's 11:15 AM here.

What's for lunch? :F_05BL17blowkiss:

I picked out a little place from one of your pictures that looked interesting; think we could eat there?

:P Do they serve bananas?

KarenEh?, What an adventure. Thank you for sharing your pictures and experiences with us. Thank goodness for this wonderful technology, it's so great that you'll still be able to "talk" to us and share you fabulous photography. I'm looking forward to hearing about the culture and your day to day life

FromClaygary the photos from your studio tour are beautiful. I'm going to look into whether they do anything like that here, this is a pretty artsy area, if not I'll mention it to the director of our arts council to see what the chances are of starting one.

I want to share some of my favorite syllables with you ---

one is "Neeeeed" on the AI Unchained Melody and also right after that how there is almost a double note on the "to" in "to meeeeee" at the very end... also the part right before that where he sings "are you" (still mine...)

and then the first part of DSIAFCD on the album, the words "get" and "that" in the first line........

and "just" in the second line. Get me every time!

There are more but I would have to listen to more songs to hear them! I think there are parts of the AI Session MOAM that qualify! I love that version!

Karen Eh...... What an adventure!! Buy lots of silk scarves and some rugs too while you're at it!!

Saw the SYTYCD show in Baltimore tonight - it was really great! I got a few vids, but I didn't have my good camera. And I probably could have brought it in - there was an announcement at the start of the show for please no flash photography. Oh well.........

nighty-nite! :F_05BL17blowkiss:

eta: PuddinsJoy - I love your avie!! At first glance I thought it was Paul McCartney!

Karen Eh? what fun!!! Thanks for taking us along on this adventure. More pictures, pretty please? When can we go to the bazaar again? *missing and hugging ya!*

My favorite "Neeeeed" wasn't from a song but it was the first of the 3 times David and Clay repeated just that note after UM at the Vancouver Gala. If we're picking a full song, though, Gala UM would be the best ever for me!!!

Scarlett, what are colorways?

And, YES! Loving NC Clay absolutely counts!!! :F_05BL17blowkiss:

Colorways are patterns of colors used to make hand-dyed yarn -- eg. the self-striping yarn that can be used to make those socks he always wears. I've been making some based on his appearances, eg. I have a Raleigh NAT, Unicef 07, Fantasy (from AI3), SCC, AAF, etc.

I have a red bag that fits perfectly under the seat in front of me (it came from the LA Voices for a Change Gala, made by the Swiss Army knife folks). During the flight I pull it out a bit to have a perfect foot rest as well as a handy "Radio Shack/BB/CC" [tm:Angela]

BTW, sorry for forgettig to say this earlier {{{Cotton and NC Pottery}}}. That must have been awful!

LOL, I love that "dragging-Clay-off-to-bed" icon! Will keep that in mind the next time I actually go off to bed as opposed to falling asleep on the keyboard.

ETA: Waves to FromClaygary who's the only other FCAer up at this hour!

I am enjoying all the pictures of scenery - and other things - thanks FromClaygary and Karen Eh? and everyone else who is sharing. I am kicking myself that I didn't stop the car last weekend and take a few shots as I drove through the gorgeous northern Ontario countryside. The colours were breathtaking.

Did anyone else get an alert from iTunes this morning? It shows a picture of the TITN/BOTW single and says

Release Date: Oct 09, 2007

Genre: Pop

Total Songs: 2

(P) 2003 19 Recordings Limited

I guess I must have signed up for Clay Aiken alerts. It sure took me by surprise. Was it not available on iTunes before? And when I click on the link it takes me to the iTunes store, where I was even more suprised to see that AIW is available for purchase ($3.96) along with ATDW, MOAM, MCWL and Solitaire/The Way. There are two different versions of ATDW - one with LAA, and one without. Both the same price. Weird. I guess I should check out iTunes more often.....

ETA a couple of interesting tidbits from the CH:

Posted by All4Luv at CB:

12/17...Are you ready to see Clay in Cleveland?!!!

At this time I am THRILLED to "leak" the information that Clay will bring his "Christmas in the Heartland" show to the State Theatre at Playhouse Square on Dec. 17!!! It has been 3 years since Clay came to this area for the holidays...doing a book signing and concert on Dec. 21, 2004!!! After many emails and the talents of a guardian angel named Charisse, the offer was tendered and accepted last week!!! It is VERY important that people DO NOT call the venue for ticket info at this time...it is NOT available. It would be best to direct all questions to Charisse (cnikel@aol.com) or PM me. Charisse will be in charge of the group sale, with an option for a dinner/ticket package included. The public announcement will be on or around Oct. 21, so no other ticket info will be available before that date. The State Theatre is a beautifully restored venue, part of a four-theatre complex. There is an attached parking garage with a heated walkway and the restaurant is also attached to the complex. A Wyndham hotel is only 5 min away and room discounts may be available. So...dry your tears Ohioans and REJOICE!!! Let's sell out this show and give back the LOVE!! PS Fans from other states and countries are encouraged to attend!!!

Hmmm......this video has never surfaced (that I know of). Anyone have any idea how we can get it?

http://clayaikentheidealidol.com/CMSHOF.html

They then a large movie screen was lowered and we saw a video Tribute to Clay. They showed him singing Blood Will Never Lose Its Power; he was in a choir robe and moved about the stage with lots of hand movements -- he looked about 17 in this clip but of course, his voice was powerful even then. Also shown, were clips of Clay singing Still The One; being a comedian pretending to be able to play a guitar; playing a munchkin on his knees with shoes on his knees --- so funny; other short clips of his earlier songs (some we've seen on Home Connection videos) --- the video was pretty poor quality but I took some pics anyway. It was so great to see Clay performing these songs -- and some of the same hand and arm motions were present even then -- so Clay. He was adorable!

Heee....waves madly back to Scarlett...I WISH I wasnt' up at this hour but a meeting with my boss calls....

Bwah..but guess what I did. I printed out the list of all 520 shops at the Mall of America. Then I wrote down the name of all the people on my Xmas list. By the time I get to Minneapolis I'll know which shop I want to go into for which person and a general idea of what to get them. Of course you know this will take massive research cuz I'll have to click on many of the links to see exactly what some stores are all about. I am obsessed with that damn mall. I'm crossing off the list every shop I've ever heard of or I can get around the corner and around the way.

I have a feeling I messed up that quote...so apologies to whoever said it! But I'm SO in!! What a great idea!

As my family is all out West, we celebrate Christmas in early Dec when I am always there on business for about a week. I've been doing bits of shopping when I travel and can, and they'll be getting tidbits from Nova Scotia, PEI...and the studio tour LOL! Can't really wrap, as I have to pack them and take them on the plane...but I do love those wonderful little gift bags!

Or maybe I'll just get one of those inflatable pool toys that are probably on sale cheap now!!! :cryingwlaughter:

Let's see - a Dragon?

A Big Shark???

I'll have to think on that.

Hee! That I'd love to see...Cotton and the big shark on the plane to LV! :cryingwlaughter:

FromClaygary -- those pictures were gorgeous. We had open studios this past weekend around here too. I didn't go this time, but I do frequently -- here and twice a year in Berkeley. I love my open studio weekends!!

Thanks!...and me too! Berkeley would be a fab place to do that.

FromClaygary the photos from your studio tour are beautiful. I'm going to look into whether they do anything like that here, this is a pretty artsy area, if not I'll mention it to the director of our arts council to see what the chances are of starting one.

Great idea! Here is their website if it helps...Images Studio Tour. The brochure can be downloaded from there.

Colorways are patterns of colors used to make hand-dyed yarn -- eg. the self-striping yarn that can be used to make those socks he always wears. I've been making some based on his appearances, eg. I have a Raleigh NAT, Unicef 07, Fantasy (from AI3), SCC, AAF, etc.

I've been meaning to ask....have you gifted Clay with any "striped socks" from your colorways based on his pix? What a unique gift that would be!!

Kareneh, add me to the "fascinated with your adventure" crew! I think I must be part gypsy, I looooooove to travel...anywhere, anytime! Looking forward with bated breath to more of your wonderful pictures, and some description of the area and people. That is some house! Hope you get it!

Morning all! And then it's "goodbye all" for most of the day, followed by being in and out for the next few days. Hubby and I are going to Minnesota for his niece's wedding. It's a 7 1/2 hour car journey -- fortunately, new iPods help. *g*

EEEEEEEEEEEEEE for bottlecap and laughn and all Ohio people who get a concert!!!!!

I guess I've just never analyzed Clay's music down to the syllable -- I'm more of a "big picture" kind of gal. It's the entirety of the piece that gets me when he's singing. BUT -- when he's talking, totally different animal. There's lots of words I now say that I think of his inflections from previous concert banter. The best example I can think of for me right now is "owner" in the clip where he has Scarlett's camera -- "I'm gonna give you back to your ownah now." Cracks me up every single time.

Karen Eh?, thank you so much for your gorgeous pictures of Clay (Guh! Gah! All those non-distinct syllables!), as well as your adventures. It sounds amazing.

Everybody be good ya'll!

I'm glad to hear that so many of you enjoy the Open Studio tours. My local Arts Center (I'm on the Board) runs one of them. It's a lot of work to organize and put on. We didn't do it this year because I couldn't get enough volunteers to pull it off. We usually do it around the time of the grape harvest and some people enjoy going to the wineries at the same time. I hope we can do it next year.

Here's the url for the Yates County Arts Center if you are interested.

Good Morning Everyone,

15 Days until Clay is Live at Lincoln Center!

21 Days until Clay is on AYSTAFG!

26 Days until Clay Tapes The Skating Special!

46 Days until The Christmas Tour Starts!

72 Days until Christmas in Merrillville!

75 Days until The Skating Special Airs!

Everyone have a great day!

Kim

ETA: duckyvee, everyone on the road hated me this pm because I was concentrating on the syllables so much that I'd abruptly swerve or slow down or speed up speed up depending on the song. :F_05BL17blowkiss:

(is there a miata smiley?)

Hee. I'd apologize, but Clay syllables are such a worthy subject that I just can't feel too badly. I've been known to pump the gas peddle in time with a song on occasion, so I totally understand. Not a good idea for many reasons, not the least of which is the nausea it induces in passengers.

About MGUCL.... I have to admit that I was bothered by Clay's version in that initial TV performance, although it wasn't long before I came to love it. I think I was reacting to the slow, wistful quality he had been bringing to certain peformances with increasing frequency that made me wonder about his direction (silly me). I love a wistful mood, so typically I would much prefer Clay's version of MCUCL to the more typical ones out there, and I really do now, but it just seemed odd given his propensity for power singing, that he'd go in that direction with a song that lends itself to glory notes. In retrospect, I am so glad he changed it up. The poignancy he brings to it is perfect for the message, IMO.

I am having my first "full school day to myself" day in weeks!!!

I don't know if anybody even noticed...hee I have been rather quiet lately because RL has become much busier these days. I usually can catch up on the board and make short posts...but long posts to join in the discussion...oh boy...no way. I often have a post started...then something comes up and I am off the computer for a few hours and then my train of thought is gone and I have to abandon my posts....sigh.

But its been good...tiring but good. So many great discussions recently...

Karen eh!!! so glad you are able to stay in touch and give us glimpses of life in a country we often do not hear heart about. The pictures are beautiful. The new house is great...I hope it can be ready when you need it.

Speaking of traveling...I am fairly sure that my girls and I are going to the Philippines this January. We will probably spend at least three weeks there. That is one traveling nightmare...first we have to travel 5 hours to Fredericton NB to go to the airport, stay over night...the flight leaves at 6:30 am...we connect in two scary airports...Boston and Chicago...then a 14 hour flight to japan...and the last flight is 4 hours to Manila. The good thing is my two older girls are great travelers, are very responsible and have been to the Philippines before...Cait may be another story...it was pretty easy to handle her during our trip to Florida...but 14 hours??? ah well it will be an adventure for sure, I will just bring lots of DVDs for her to watch. BTW...we are all short...but we always use our luggage as a footstool...so we make sure we don't have stuff that are too delicate.

I am glad I got my laptop to bring with me and my brother will be setting up wireless high speed internet access at my mom's house when he goes in December so I can stay in touch...but it will be weird cos the time difference will be crazy....oh well. That will probably be a quiet time for the fandom...Clay will be on vacation.

So the recent topics....

Lyrics...I just realized this morning why I am not really a lyric person. Its because when I listen to a song the words get enmeshed with the melody and the rhythm that at times the words don;t have that much meaning to me unless I really concentrate hard and pay attention to them. So in a way lyrics are still important cos when there is a word that may be beautiful and profound but the melody or the rhythm of the song get interrupted to accommodate it...I get pissed off and end up feeling that the writer is being pretentious. Also, that is why I can love a song with inane lyrics as long as it goes with the melody and the beat Or if its off...that it adds syncopation to the piece. I think that is why I like Avril as a song writer more than Kelly...its not that she is more profound or deep...but she seem more clever in finding words that fit her melody... With Kelly...I feel like she compromises the melody to fit her diarrhea of the mouth rants. Case in point...her new single...it has 5 notes...so repetitive...but it seems very wordy...yet the words are pretty banal.

Funny incident, I was in my friends house and her ids were playing their hiphop music pretty loud. There was a song that came on that I really liked...I was movin and groovin to the beat and the catchy melody...my friend was looking at me amused and she said...are you listening to the words??? well that kinda made me pay closer attention and I realized the guy was singing about butts and anal sex...ahhh..OOOKAY...it sounded better when i wasn't paying attention. heh

ATD...I think its not the lyrics that I mind...although the overly dramatic visuals did make me roll my eyes a bit...but mostly I find the melody really unintersting and boring. That was my problem with JY as well...I thought BFM was a bit more catchy...I liked the hook better and the strong beat made it fun. Now TRD, LAA, LNM and EIH...I love their melodies...those are my top four original Clay songs.

Clay syllables...YUP I know what you mean. There are some moments in a song that just make me go AHHHHH...but I can't really pin point them...its my swiss cheese brain, can't retain those details anymore.

Muski...yup, I hate the Yeeewww too. But I noticed he has been trying to control that, but it came back on WY for the Florida shows. I am getting used to it now...but it can still bug me.

so belated Happy Birthday do those I failed to greet and (((((to those that need them))))...

Oh I must be sane after all because I won't be cashing in my ticket and changing the date to Cleveland. Hey FromClaygary, it's me that is obsessed with the mail. I get into Minneapolis early on the 18th so will definitely go that day..and then it hit me if I don't finish..I'll be in town for two more days and one cute little boyfriend only needs my attention in the evening. heee

I do believe all that touring Clay did really got him to experiment with different sounds. The Oprah version of I Will Carry You is the only one I listen to. I absolutely love it. I just think Clay learned to love stripped down stuff on tour and over the years has really learned to sing softer and have more command over his voice. As for Clay's direction, one of these days I'll know what that is :cryingwlaughter: But I find it's not really important to me.

Yay Ansa... I noticed and I missed on the board.

ETA: But oh wait..would Clieveland be a venue for Bottle?

Ansa you know me well enough to know I never get to work by 8 hee. It's 8:04 and at least I'm done with my shower and know what I'm going to wear. It makes you a little lazy to live 5 minutes from work. It's a curse. heee. except for that gas part. But thanks for reminding me that I neede to shut down FCA before I leave home so you don't think I'm lurking all day. heee.

Ansa you know me well enough to know I never get to work by 8 hee. It's 8:04 and at least I'm done with my shower and know what I'm going to wear. It makes you a little lazy to live 5 minutes from work. It's a curse. heee. except for that gas part. But thanks for reminding me that I neede to shut down FCA before I leave home so you don't think I'm lurking all day. heee.

hee...cmon...lurk couchie...you know you wanna!!!

:lilredani: :lilredani:

Had a Clay dream last night---first one in a long time---but alas, twas not a hot one for me.

I was with a bunch of fellow Clay fans (no one I recognized) watching a concert from somebody's house and then we realized that we'd be able to see him and his entourage leave.

So we frantically searched for the best place to perch for the 'show' of him walking out the door. We were in some sort of gymnasium by that point and somebody was all crazy over a People magazine that supposedly had pictures of a woman reported to be Clay's very serious girlfriend. I kept trying to see the pictures---I SO wanted to see what she looked like!---but every time I thought it was going to be my turn to leaf through the mag's pages, I couldn't find the damned thing!

Then one of the women around me said, "Here he comes!" and she started eeeeeeeeeeeee-ing and running down the gymnasium bleachers and I was thinking, "Oh, great. A nutso woman. She'll ruin it for all of us." And then I saw Angela and some other people I didn't know come out, casually walking toward the exit...and then....

There was Clay, in a long camel-colored coat (drool) walking next to a tall brunette--light brown hair---I couldn't see her face, but they were holding hands and just comfortably 'together'....One of the guys in the group started teasing the woman and she started shaking her head and getting closer to Clay as they walked. He looked up at us all in the stands and sorta smiled, but mostly what I got from his expression was a "Leave us alone" message. I actually leaned back a little, wanting him to know I wasn't going to bother him.

Unfortunately, the nutso lady was now on the gym floor, yapping and walking quickly after the group. I only saw "Clay's woman" from the back, but I noticed she was tall and had a solid, womanly body (sorta like Tyra :whistling-1: )---She wasn't some skinny thing, she had some meat on her. She was wearing some sort of dress that was form fitting so I could tell she had a figure, but she seemed....real, normal. I was DYING to see her face. I was SOOOO curious about her. THey were still holding hands and Clay seemed to be keeping one eye on the group of his people walking behind him and 'his woman'...and then....then...

I caught his eye just as he leaned over to her and kissed her. His lips opened just a little and he tilted his head and fit his mouth over hers. I remember thinking that I could almost FEEL how perfectly their two mouths fit together, just watching him kiss her. It wasn't a passionate kiss, but it was more than a peck---I could see his eyes close and his lashes flutter against his cheek---and that sweet kiss seemed somehow proprietary and....normal. He didn't hold her except that their hands remained clasped together. But for some reason that simple, familiar gesture of the kiss while they walked told me they were very much in love with each other.

They kept walking then and someone in the entourage was laughing and then called out, "Sage!"

and the woman turned! Her name was Sage! BWAH!

But I never saw her face! :cry4:

The End. (demmit)

Sage???? SAGE???seriously????

but I love that dream...hope its prophetic cos I want that for him...someone to give a casual peck on the mouth...to walk casually hand in hand with...

AWWWWW thanks for sharing muski...btw did writing down that scenario inspire you for some more fictional writing??? you are such a vivid story teller... :F_05BL17blowkiss:

But wait Sage means wise and it was really a nickname. So bottle you are wise ergo.......

But BWAH, merrieee! I just realized WHY her name was Sage in my dream! Yesterday, I got a new boss and she moved into her office. I went in to talk about something with her and got a huge whiff of a nostalgically familiar scent (heh :whistling-1: ). I said with a surprised grin, "Whoa! I smell marijauna!"

She laughed and said, "It's sage...I just sprayed a sage scent. It puts me in a good place."

Bwah! I think I'm gonna like my new boss! :lmaosmiley-1: