#20: Clay is just so frickin' cute! Cute, cute, cute!

Couch Tomato

Thread Title Poll  

53 members have voted

1. 1. What should be the next thread title on the FCA board?

• "Surprisingly, the ice did not melt."
    • Bring it Aiken! And if it turns out to be a total cheese boat I'm ready to sail with ya'!
    • Circumstances and dynamics spun together into pure electricity
    • Buy Clay Aiken because it's a top of the line brand.

From demelza3000 at the CH:

Hi guys, I haven't posted on this board in well, years. But I was at the conference that Clay appeared at today.

I must say, seeing Clay Aiken was not on my agenda. It was a shock to us all that Clay came to talk about the Bubel Aiken Foundation. But the audience of I guess a thousand or two special educators was quite appreciative. Clay spoke about the mission of the foundation and then showed a videotape on inclusion that had us in tears. The whole thing, speech and video was about 30 minutes long.

As far as the glasses/hair/clothes report: There were no glasses that I could tell. The hair was not particularly styled, a little flat. He had on jeans, a jacket and either a shirt with tie or a colorful shirt. It was a very large room and having not known the attendees, I sat woefully in the back. That's all I remember, that and my cell phone was dead so I couldn't take a picture.

Wow, I remember demelza3000. She was the one who organized the Winston-Salem IT CH pre-party that a number of us here attended (well, me and ldyj for sure). She was intrumental in my decision to fly to NC, which, at the time, was the wildest and craziest thing I had ever done in my life. She was smart enough to seat my daughter and I at the table with these awesome sisters, who didn't know anyone either, and who have become dear, dear friends. She dropped out of the online fandom soon afterwards, and this is the first I've seen her post since. How cool that she was at the conference today?!?!

OK, now I have to reread LTS (No, I probably only read it once and listened to the book once) I don't remember him talking much about anything except his youth. I was kind of busy when it read it with my longer job commute and all.

Everlasting Love was a disco song, but Clay made it his own, much the way others did the same thing. Chains and shirt open to the waist? Ick, not for me, I avoid those guys likethe plague and there are plenty around here! My neighbor had some friends like that and I tried not to sit near them at parties, they would touch women innappropirately "by accident" and the 400 pounders thought they were lady killers. Not to mention my brothers father=-in-law who accidently reached down my shirt when I was in a car once. Not that he had a reason to reach in my car for ANYTHING! SUper ick.

Long hair on Clay - I thought his Christmas hair looked appropriate for singing with symphonies, you know a music long hair, sort of like a maestro. I don't like to criticize Clay's hair much because it is like some places weather, wait 5 minutes and it will change again. Not to mention, I am no great beauty and tend not to look in mirrors, so I can appreaciate like behavior.

Quiana personality - I find her mature and sensible. She seems driven to me, certainly was more committed to music than Clay at that point, but perhaps not as hungry on the show. This was not her one and only chance to make it. She is supporting herself on music and did that before Clay and will do it after Clay, she just gets to travel more now. I vaguely remember her sayong something about Simon asking her to lose weight and change her image and she told him no. Maybe the collective brain could remember where that originated!

Clay vs others. I usually liked Clay better than others because, even with my tin ear, I could tell that Clay rarely missed a note, others not so much and toward the end the distracting microphone hand switch slowed down and on tour pretty much stopped. Ruben was better on staying on key, but had that note wandering thing going on with the hand thing and Kim had some real bad nights (Heatwave was the worst way to start off). Then there were people like Charles (nice but almost impossible to hear when he was miked, Julia in the headlights, or with the headlights, Carmen, 'nough said, Corey the Ick. I loved the group songs though and, in the end, thought Josh always sounded better on the medley solos than his competition song. I had wandered into the vote until you die pledge for Josh and then found CB and TTC for Clay, none for the others though. It was pretty easy to see where the internet fandom broke down.

eta -another poster on this board was cp-organizer of the Winston Salem IT with Delmezza

Claygasm, the hate went both ways. You could not register on a Ruben board if you liked any other idols, even Rickey, without getting attacked. Granted there are some Clay fans who feel they are warriors (idiots is more like it) and they trolled the board, but the over reaction of a few people was detrimental to Ruben. If you were not a core poster (about 16 people), you were constantly attacked It got so bad that J records closed down Ruben's message board within a year and still has not opened one up for him. Let me add, the hate is not gone for a few. Still see it pop up from time to time, as if it ws Ruben's fault for the phone lines being busy. There are people who believe Clay is a fool and Ruben is using him. Clay is a fool? Like he doesn't know who his friends are. It is likethe Kelly haters - warriors in an imaginary war, their lives must be boring.

even though after the fanale and stuff, still a ruben fan back then, I also hate the fact that some of the people were bashing on my hometown , because they though that we were the enimy or something, there is on reason perhaps why i will never go in the archive of all the clay boards dating back in 2003 and 2004 cause of that. i just did not want end up crying.

ETA: I was'nt talking about ruben. I was talking about my hometown. Sorry.

I never saw much Ruben bashing, except on a couple of Boards. I don't think saying you don't like someone is bashing. But from what I saw over at Bolt, the bashing went both ways.

Of course there weren't any Clay Boards that had Ruben in the center of a Sniper Target..like that one Board of Ruben's did.

AI2 Clay.... I remember him at "Take". When he walked in the room I laughed and expected this to be one of the bad auditions. I was shocked at the voice and pretty much agreed with Simon and Randy - doesn't look like a pop star but has a great voice. Totally forgot about him until the top 32. I thought American got his group right. Kim and Ruben were the best that night. Then came the wildcard. DLTSGDOM wowed me! For the first time I sat up and took notice.

This is close to my experience. When I saw him, I totally thought he would be one of the bad auditions. But after he sang, I found myself hoping he'd make it through. I didn't find him attractive, but I did root for him as an underdog, someone who didn't have the image but who had a tremendous voice, someone who deserved a chance. However, DLTSGDOM converted me from a passive admirer to a fully invested fan.

As the competition progressed, I found him increasingly appealing. Maybe not sexy, but adorably cute. The sexy didn't really happen for me until he performed Invisible on the AI Tour.

Gibby, I am finding myself strangely hypnotized by your avi. Can't imagine why.

Me too! :hubbahubba:

I'm so glad you're enjoying it! It was thinking about changing my avi after Vegas because there are so many fantastic pics of Clay from that show. Since ya'll like it, though, I'll leave it alone for awhile!

:woman:

Of course if you REALLY want a new one, I'll be happy to take care of this one for you. :whistling-1:

OK, that took care of my decision! I'm definitely keeping my avi for a good, long time! :cryingwlaughter:

Nothin' against you, pkmiller, but it would just be too weird to see someone else with that avi. :F_05BL17blowkiss:

And here it is a bit larger size, just so we can all enjoy it a bit more:

av-14763thrust.gifav-14763thrust.gifav-14763thrust.gif

keepingfaith, thanks for posting those AI2 pics! He was sooooo adorable. Even with Carmen, who is a cutie.

even though after the fanale and stuff, still a ruben fan back then, I also hate the fact that some of the people were bashing on my hometown , because they though that we were the enimy or something, there is on reason perhaps why i will never go in the archive of all the clay boards dating back in 2003 and 2004 cause of that. i just did not want end up crying.

ETA: I was'nt talking about ruben. I was talking about my hometown. Sorry.

Sorry you had that kind of experience. I think this whole competition just got so contentious that there were pretty extreme reactions all around.

Perma... dang it, everytime you post I have to pick myself up off the floor from the thud. Your latest B&W is very artsy, almost like a painting! GAH!!!

Claygasm... that AMA picture is one of my all time faves of Clay. He is just so GQ in that pic and so thudworthy!!!

I didn't watch AI until finale week. When they showed the makeover, I said... NO WAY! That is not the same guy! Then I heard the voice... I was so bummed when he lost. Then I was laid off and was out of work for 8 months and scared to death. I played his video over and over and over to lift my spirits. I knew exactly how far to count to get from one Clay part to the next in FF on my VCR... LOL (I had taped over the last night when he lost. pfffft!)

By the time I found my present job, I had also found Claymaniacs and that was all she wrote. I found the downloads and his performances were all I watched until winning the whole season on DVD at Clio for JBT at the pre-party. LOVED Everlasting Love. Not just the way those pants hugged those thighs, but the way the shirt showed his pecs and the shoulders/waist combo that he showed and still shows so seldom. I thought BeeGee night suit/shirt/tie combo was to die for and the hip shakes in Grease groan-worthy. Black leather/gray t Diane Warren outfit... OMG, it that the same guy???? Thudded at Solitaire.

What got me thinking he was really sexy tho, was the Rolling Stone cover... OMG, I couldn't believe that was him. I bought that mag so fast I'm sure the 7-11 clerk thought I was nuts! LOL Once I went to my first IT concert (LV), I was even more a goner. I was flabergasted at his stage command and was on the receiving end of one of his ISY glares at the Pond IT. Still haven't recovered!

I never saw much Ruben bashing, except on a couple of Boards. I don't think saying you don't like someone is bashing. But from what I saw over at Bolt, the bashing went both ways.

Of course there weren't any Clay Boards that had Ruben in the center of a Sniper Target..like that one Board of Ruben's did.

Oh I saw plenty but really no need to drag it all up now. It's such old news and I'm sure bitterness lives on in people with no lives on both sides who can't just let go of the competition.

ACK the Clarman heee.

GIBBY... OMG! Are you trying to kill me???? I am fascinated looking at his stomach muscles making his pelvis thrust.... OMG!!!

Was that Houston? Dang it, that is lethal in biggy size!!!

Bolt was a board I could not get registration to work, I have no idea why, but there was a lot of viciousness on several boards, now it is a bit more subtle, but there just the same. Posters like to describe it as opinion, but when you accuse people of various things it is more like slander. I don't even want to list the various things Ruben has been accused of, but mostly it is taking advantage of Clay because, as we all know, Clay is blindly accepting of people as friends because he is just a little naive country boy who needs a few thousand mommies. He needs his fans to guide not only his job, but his personal relationships with relatives and friends. And some fans don't understand why he does not date openly. Hah! It is going to be hard for Clay to find someone the fandom accepts.

I guess you were not on the boards when the hint of the rolling stone cover was leaked and no one believed it. That was such a hoot - everyone saying NO WAY! and the poor kid kept saying, but my cousin prints the cover to Rolling stone, Really, he does. The kid was supposed to post an alternate more revealing shot, but I think they just went away mad. Our loss.

back to lurking then, because i always mess up and start something.

anyway, I am swooning all over clay on american idol rewind, "Superstar" and "Unchained melody" every time, has got me so fangirly. Clay is so amazing, there inho has never been a contestant like him or will ever be he is unique. Now back to lurking agian.

Tidbit: I join my first board ever,it is a little known clayboard and i still a member there, in march of 2005.

GIBBY... OMG! Are you trying to kill me???? I am fascinated looking at his stomach muscles making his pelvis thrust.... OMG!!!

Paging the Smut Queen...Paging the Smut Queen! :whistling-1:

That was Tulsa. I had an unobstructed view of that action from Row E! EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE! It was hot in there that night.

BWAH!! Well, it's a new page, and we need to see it again, don't we?? Not to kill you or anything, but here it is:

anyway, I am swooning all over clay on american idol rewind, "Superstar" and "Unchained melody" every time, has got me so fangirly. Clay is so amazing, there inho has never been a contestant like him or will ever be he is unique. Now back to lurking agian.

Tidbit: I join my first board ever,it is a little known clayboard and i still a member there, in march of 2005.

Don't lurk, soulsista! It's great to have you here. :F_05BL17blowkiss:

you didn't start a thing so hope you keep posting.

Anyway, AN TI CI PA TION. Do ya'll know that tomorrow is November 13th. And that in no time at all the concerts will be starting. And that in a month and a few days I'll be on a plane and shopping in the Mall of America and seeing Clay and hanging out with the possee and freezing my ass off. CAN NOT WAIT.

I started out a Ruben fan, never noticed Clay much. I mainly voted for Ruben and Kim first night. I remember telling someone at work that the skinny kid from Texas had a good voice and that I had thrown some votes his way. When he came back for wildcard I was blown away by DLTSGDOM. I was nervous for him the next week and my OMG OMG OMG what was that move? moment was that night when he did the burning in your heart motion at his heart. I was so confused--he was so skinny and young, I didn't understand it myself.

I wasn't on the boards then. I actually thought the night they brought a fan up out of the audience and she answered all those questions about him that it was a set-up. I had a feeling he wasn't going to win about 2 weeks before the end, it just became obvious who they were rooting for. I was sad after his loss as I thought I wouldn't see him again. The fandom drove his rise. I'm glad I found Bolt as wild as it was, it was a lifeline for me and led me to other boards. I loved the fandom back then.