#24: Somewhere out there Clay is looking cute and talking with an accent and practicing a dance.

ldyjocelyn

Thread Title Poll  

46 members have voted

1. 1. What should be the next thread title at FCA?

• Who needs caffeine when we've got Clay Aiken?!
    • Regardless of how you figure it, Clay is indeed our Million Dollar Man and I'm his cheap ho.
    • MUST.HAVE.CLACK.OF.THE.MAN.IN.BLACK!!!!!!!!
    • That is a whole lot of pretty. Physically and vocally.
    • It never does wane because Mr. Clay Aiken continues to fascinate, delight, transform and bring it. He is one beautiful man.
    • The man can make me laugh and sah-woon at the same time.
    • He was "chatty and witty" until you get all up in his kool-aid...
    • Heeeee - I love it! A massive brain and big balls.
    • Clay Aiken goes for the Full Monty
    • Whatever this man sings, he offers something beautiful if you're willing to hear it.
    • TONIGHT'S THE KNIGHT! Knock 'em not-quite dead!

jamar

I don't find Effie sympathetic at all.

My take: I found her sympathetic because she was promised a solo career...and was persuaded to put her own dreams aside "for the good of the group"...only to have "the group" toss her out later. She's this big girl with a big voice who fell in love in a big way with a small man...and she didn't see the rejection and disloyalty coming.

clay is very relaxed and was tying angelas sons tie while I was on the phone with her.

Aw, "Uncle" Clay! :)

from Christinaaikenduh at the CB

riversend22 just called me during intermission . its clay,mary,angela, angelas son, jamie, and sean. clay is very relaxed and was tying angelas sons tie while I was on the phone with her.

Hee! That's just too dang cute a picture in my mind! :wub:

jax5230 at the Clayboard is reporting that Clay is in the audience for Dream Girls tonight with Mary and Sean!

COOL!!! I'm so glad he is able to be there. And it's wonderful that he's there with friends, and they're supporting Quiana. She deserves it.

Thanks for posting the link for Quiana's performance, play. I haven't seen 'Dreamgirls,' but I certainly found Quiana's performance of this song moving!

I'm glad Clay got to go see Quiana. Wonder why the run is so short.

Couchie, I would guess that as a local theater production they would not do a very long run, They probably run it for as long as they feel they can fill the seats.

The style of singing in the song is not my favorite, but in the context of the story it fits, and I think Jennifer Hudson did a wonderful job in the movie. I can't judge Quianna's acting in the video, but doing it live she doesn't get the advantage of do over's and if this was opening night, I think she nailed it.

great timing...they were showing Dreamgirls in the movie Channel and just caught Jennifers I'm not going...I definitely love the tone of Quiana's voice better than Jennifer's...I think what moved me with jennifer's performance is the emotion she showed with every bit of her body and face. The fact that she had close ups may give her a slight advantage. This being Quiana's first stage performance...its is amazing that she can hold up to comparison with an Oscar caliber performance.

jamar

...and she didn't see the rejection and disloyalty coming.

Very few of us do. So grow up, grow a spine and above all .... don't beg. *gag*

Oh couchie...where's my issue list? Hee.

---

I'm really glad Clay and the gang are there. How fun for them all.

jamar

...and she didn't see the rejection and disloyalty coming.

Very few of us do. So grow up, grow a spine and above all .... don't beg. *gag*

Oh couchie...where's my issue list? Hee.

bwah..I'm working on it!!

Coincidentally, I bought the Dream Girls DVD this afternoon at Target for $10 bucks and watched it for the first time. Loved, loved, loved Jennifer's acting, and whoever commented about her facial expressions and body language selling the part was dead on. I didn't see Effie as spineless at all....in those first moments after learning she was pregnant and being dumped she was vulnerable and desperate. But she went on with her life and never even laid claim to the baby's father. I don't consider that needy or spineless.

I don't care for Jennifer's voice as much as I do Quiana's. Quiana has a warmth and depth that I don't hear in Jennifer, and I liked her version of YGLM better. That being said, it's not my favorite song in the movie. I like 'Listen'.

I'm so happy that Clay and the gang were able to be at Quiana's opening night. I hope someone snuck in a video camera, as I'd like to see more Quack. I imagine they'll all be there if they can for Clay's debut in Spamalot. I love that they remain close even when not on tour, the mark of true friendship is supporting each other and spending time together when they don't have to.

Ok, now I'm confused, was the video of Quianna from the dress rehersal? Tonight is opening night? Yeah, it doesn't take much to confuse me.

I believe last night was technical dress, with schools and teachers allowed in...tonight should be opening night

*sits on top of page and sings improv version of Free Falling by Tom Petty*

Just went to YouTube and watched a video of first Jennifer Holliday then Jennifer Hudson....then watched Quiana's version. Yeah, I know---It's not.a.competition! :cryingwlaughter: But it IS interesting to see the interpretations. It looks like the NC Theater's trying to recreate the original, Holliday interpretation---both in terms of costume and set.

I still like Q's vocal version. J. Holliday's is too screeching for my taste and J. Hudson's vibrato sometimes bugs me. I just like Q's voice, I guess.

Acting? Well, it's tough because I've only seen J. Hudson's full acting performance. I'd LOVE to see Quiana more and I can see some aspects of this performance that shows her amateur status (we see too much of her BACK, for one, bless her heart :)...and some of her arm movements are stiff...).but dang! Her first big role? And I betcha she'll just improve each night....

Anyhoo......so the Patriots advance to AFC Championship for the fifth time...

whoop.

I was confused about when the Quiana video was taken, too. In the movie, Jennifer is wearing a nice outfit for that number, but in the stage version Quiana is wearing some ill-fitting pants and unflattering top. I honestly thought it was taken during a rehearsal, not a dress rehearsal. I didn't think about the stage version and the film version being that much different (duh!), but of course they frequently are.

I was confused about when the Quiana video was taken, too. In the movie, Jennifer is wearing a nice outfit for that number, but in the stage version Quiana is wearing some ill-fitting pants and unflattering top. I honestly thought it was taken during a rehearsal, not a dress rehearsal. I didn't think about the stage version and the film version being that much different (duh!), but of course they frequently are.

I have heard they are different. I'm sure J. Hudson had some major help and she really did a great job. Hers was a major Hollywood movie production. I was thrilled that she won an Oscar and I thought her acting was wonderful but I do prefer Quiana's interpretation of the song.

I thought her outfit was very similar to the YouTube I saw of the Holliday stage version.

From the Clayboard

I'm just back from seeing Quiana in Dreamgirls. She was FABULOUS!!! AMAZING!!!

And Clay was looking VERY nice tonight too. He is VERY blond!!! It took me a few seconds before I even realized it was him walking to his seat. I recognized Mary before I did him...LOL!

Anyway, just wanted to clear up his outfit --

He was wearing a PURPLE dress shirt, multi-colored striped tie (didn't get a very good look at it) with a gray cardigan (not green). His pants were tan dockers -- but with cargo-type pockets in the back -- with buttons on them. But they weren't full-out cargo pants. And dress shoes -- don't remember the color -- possibly gray?

Did I already say that he looked VERY NICE!!!!!!????? OMG!

Oh yeah -- and Quiana was FABULOUS!

I was at Dreamgirls tonight. Did not see Clay, but I didn't spend much time looking for him. I totally enjoyed the show. Quiana's voice was amazing and she really held her own with the experienced Broadway actors in the other leads. The sets were very clever, very effective. Some of the costumes were godawful, others gorgeous, and they did some very clever quick changes. A fun experience. I feel lucky that I got to go.

Nostalgia and irony, given the theme of Dream Girls....I saw so many of the great acts of that era in that very theatre growing up--the Four Tops, Smokey Robinson and the Miracles, the Platters. We'uns definitely did not prefer the sanitized, Pat Boone-style versions.

Eh, by the end of the weekend, I expect the big story will be something like Britney, aided and abetted by Paris Hilton, being pulled over for running down Lindsay Lohan on Hollywood Boulevard while fleeing from Cedars Sinai after making an attempt to kidnap Nicole Ritchie's new baby - as filmed by the TMZ camera man permanently placed in the back seat of the car, with Dr. Phil hanging off the luggage rack. Hillary will get slightly schmoopy, Obama will say it's time for a change, and Rudy will remind us he was the mayor during 9/11.

I know this is wa-a-a-a-ay late, but I just had to BWAH! this! Marvy!

DH's bday is Monday - the big 6-0! But he's working Mon. so DS came over and we watched the Pats Game (YaaaaaaaaY!!!) and did the bday cake, etc. today. I cooked wings and meatballs, etc., you know - game food! hee

So I've missed reading tonight altogether. But I did want to bring shineinnc's report from Dream Girls. She was with Karma4Clay. I talked to shine as they were getting back to their hotel room.

Clay . . .

Charcoal Gray tweedyish sweater, diagonal large-striped tie (concert tie), shirt-light mauve,

GFI singing hair, Beautiful, no glasses

nobody bothered him

he looked really pretty :hubbahubba:

Quiana’s non-singing parts - - - acting was very good - delivery was spot on, singing kicked a$$.

Karma4Clay's review=

Clay pretty

Quiana sing good

Shine's review - he was - in toni7babe's words: f*&%&^%$@#$%^& gorgeous!

Q’s I’m Telling you - last song of Act 1 - brought the house down

:)

Can't wait to see her next weekend.

Two standing O's. At end of Telling and end of show.

Unusual Curtain Call from the sounds of it.

Complete cast onstage. Individuals take bows, go off stage - until Q is left onstage alone for her bow.

Then they all return for full cast call.

Different.

Wonder if that's tradition at NCT?

ETA:

I just saw your post, bottle. My group couldn't make it this week. We have tickets for next Saturday. I'm really looking forward to it!

Cotton Calling Cotton - She probably knows the web site that Quiana reads, maybe leave messages at her myspace..

She does go to her myspace. But she hasn't answered my email since the Christmas tour. Methinks she's been a tad busy. :cryingwlaughter:

Is there a reason you were asking? I'm not caught up at all.

DH's b'day, and all that.

:)

Some pics from Brightstar at CV . . .

post-1474-1200206285_thumb.jpg

post-1474-1200206350_thumb.jpg

post-1474-1200206413.jpg

Thanks for the pictures. Yay for Quiana.

Remember like a month ago when I asked for volunteers to help out with FCA, the main website and the media site? Well I had some volunteers and now I've gone back to my email to try to find you all :cryingwlaughter: And I'm pretty sure one person didn't email but just said they would help out in the thread--Liney? Anyway, if you're not named LdyJocelyn, Ansa, Lucky, Cindilu, FromClaygary, Merrieeee, or Cha Cha and you'd like to help please PM me again. Even if you just want to know more. We need help with everything from posting Clay new items, to listening and classifying audio clack, to just helping us brainstorm and come up with new ideas. And it's not time consuming..let's see I've worked on it exactly 0 hours this week so even if you have only 1, it would be helpful. :cryingwlaughter:

Liz Smith in the NY Post is playing nice.

'SPAMALOT' HAS FEAT OF CLAY

January 13, 2008 -- 'STUDENT: 'Did Hamlet actually have an affair with Ophelia?' MANAGER: 'In our company, always!' "

GET READY! "American Idol" superstar Clay Aiken joins the Tony Award-winning musical "Monty Python's Spamalot," making a line at the stage door of the Shubert Theatre on West 44th Street beginning Friday. And he'll stick with this hilarious show through May 4.

Director Mike Nichols: "Clay is amazing, beyond that glorious voice. Turns out he is an excellent comic actor and a master of character. People are going to be surprised by his wide-ranging talent, since the first impression is of great country charm and a singer to remember. This guy is not only a star; he is a lot more. We're lucky to get him for 'Spamalot'!"

THINKING ON Mr. Nichols, let's men tion his own personal triumph ongo ing - "Charlie Wilson's War," one of the best movies of the year.

So what does a super-famous director send for Christmas to an old friend who happens to write gossip? Well, I have an iron doorstop from Mr. Nichols and his bride, Diane Sawyer. It consists of the legs of the Wicked Witch of the East, resting under the door and wearing the magic ruby red slippers.

Any minute I expect Dorothy to come along, don the slippers and then we'll dance off down the yellow brick road singing, "Ding! Dong! The Witch Is Dead." A fine beginning for 2008.

Good Morning Everyone,

5 Days until Clay is on Broadway!

9 Days until Clay is on The View!

Everyone have a great day!

Kim