#57: Oh yeah, he really is just. that. good.

ldyjocelyn

Thread Title  

40 members have voted

1. 1. What should be the next thread title at FCA?

• My, my, my...my boyfriend is making me feel all cougarish and slinky and growly
    • I'd better hold on to my fedora cos I ain't seen nothing yet!
    • He exhilarates me!
    • Unremitting Fangirl reporting for duty. I'm easy and I'm proud of it!
    • The man is made of awesome.
    • Clay Aiken can still curl my toes.
    • Clay Aiken = happy sigh
    • I'm a satisfied Clay fan.

While I felt a little saddened reading the college review, I also reminded myself that this was written by a college student, presumably young, and let's face it..young Berkeley students are not Clay's target audience.

These songs, beautifully arranged and sung though they are, nevertheless are songs that probably her grandparent's listened to. I don't know about you but when I was in college I was listening to Bob Dylan, the Beatles and the Rolling Stones. Johny Mathis? Perry Como? the various Rat Packers nooo but Roy Orbison yes.

Clay says he has made the album he has always wanted to make. I'm glad that he has and hope that the PBS specials will ignite interest in the CD which will result in good sales.

In college I listened to Janis Joplin and Chicago, James Taylor and Steppenwolf, Motown and the Beatles, etc. And there was a Johnny Mathis album in the lounge in my dorm that I loved so much I stole it. :cryingwlaughter:

I fell asleep and came back in to see all the activity. After a fast check of the first 15 comment pages following the blog, I had to quit. As a fan, I am embarrassed by the number of "well-meaning" fans, whose names I recall from past unpleasantness, and who abide and perpetuate, somehow, to inform Clay about promotion and distribution.

I was hoping people would, by this time, be disabused of the notion that it's a good thing to sell CD's at your concerts. It's just not done. Maybe if you play the American Legion Hall or the Community Center and you press the CDs yourself it's the thing to do, but if it's between a professional venue and a record label product, it won't happen. Merchandise is sold, but not CD's.

And the many comments that Clay needs to get Decca to load up shipments of Tried & True to the diminishing record aisle(s) at Walmart is bizarre, as if the stores themselves have nothing to do with ordering the merchandise they sell. Free-standing record stores are all but extinct. If you want hard copies the options are among the severely limited sections dedicated to CDs in book stores, electronics stores, and discount general merchandise stores, period. And they are diminishing for a very good reason - people don't buy hard copies of records anymore; they download. The CD aisle now exists for the ever-dwindling numbers who are not online, and it's best-sellers only.

I've bought quite a few copies of T&T this week. I had several delivered directly to family and friends from Amazon and, fortunately, everything I ordered was delivered successfully this week. I've downloaded from two sites, and gifted from iTunes. The majority of sales these days are online downloads. While there are people who aren't online, the record business is not catering to them anymore. They are looking to the future, and that is people online. I can download directly from iTunes on my iPod. Everything Tried & True has to offer, including all bonus material, can be downloaded from iTunes or delivered from Amazon. There were no "store" exclusives this time, so I haven't even been into a Walmart or Target looking for T&T. I didn't need them for this CD. And, when I have been in those stores recently, I don't see shoppers in the CD section.

The people who don't understand the lack of promotion obviously haven't paid attention to David Novik. He's made no secret of Decca's marketing strategy. Decca markets to adults, and the strategy in a nutshell is, TOUR, TOUR, TOUR, in that order. I guess that's why Clay is going on the road with Ruben this summer, before planning the solo T&T tour to follow. And the PBS Special is not, in my opinion, a vehicle exclusively to sell CDs. It's a hook to put people in the seats for tours. Watching a live concert on PBS entices people to buy tickets to that show when it comes to their area. The Celtic Women and Thunder, etc., are selling out arenas now, and all because of PBS specials. It's the modern synergy, and radio isn't even in this picture. Things have changed and continue to evolve, but the fanagers are still clinging to obsolete paradigms. The lecturing of Clay as to how he should promote this CD is just sad, and embarrassing.

Or you could say that I'm on the right boards cause I'm happy to be missing the fuss, wherever it is. cryingwlaughter.gif But seriously, it is possible to be an intense fan and yet miss all that stuff. That's why I originally came to FCA, and over time I have encountered less and less of the negative and gnatty stuff because I just don't go to the boards and blogs where you find it. And over time my attitude has changed too. The disses I do hear just go out the other ear. Everybody has haters, everybody. It really isn't as prevalent out there as it might seem. I wouldn't even know where to find it anymore and I don't want to know.

preachit.jpg I haven't read anything nasty and don't plan to go seek it out. Life's too short, I know they are out there, that's enough for me. I've given up hoping they'll leave for greener pastures....they obviously enjoy being negative.

The people who don't understand the lack of promotion obviously haven't paid attention to David Novik. He's made no secret of Decca's marketing strategy. Decca markets to adults, and the strategy in a nutshell is, TOUR, TOUR, TOUR, in that order.

I like that strategy! Wheeeeee!

:GM_FCA:

Can't wait to see Clay this morning!

7 Days until The PBS Special Airs in Chicago!:yahoo:

16 Days until Clay is Bringing Broadway Home to NC!:yahoo:

33 Days until Clay addresses The Key Club Convention!:yahoo:

48 Days until The Timeless Tour Begins!:09:

Happy Birthday to all celebrating!

Everyone have a great day!

Kim

Very short version, so he messed up the lyrics...but at 7:00 a.m. Eastern, I'll give him a pass. Heck, I'm not awake yet. He looked great -- dark jacket, shirt, tie, jeans, and tennis shoes!

cbsnews.com

Clay Aiken: New Album is Like a Homecoming

NEW YORK, June 5, 2010

Clay Aiken: New Album Is Like a Homecoming

"Idol" Season 2 Favorite Releases Fifth Studio Album, "Tried and True," a Collection of Covers from '50s and '60s

(CBS) By Melissa Castellanos

When "American Idol" season two favorite Clay Aiken belted out his touching 2003 rendition of Simon & Garfunkel's "Bridge Over Troubled Waters," he won over the hearts of millions.

Now, seven years later, he's built his own bridge of success as a platinum-selling artist, Broadway actor, author and, more recently, a dad.

The down-to-earth, Raleigh, N.C. native just released his fifth studio album, "Tried and True," featuring classics from the '50s and '60s.

"It seems like a little bit of a departure from the last four albums I've made to some extent, but in truth, it's really more of a homecoming in a way, because it's really what I have always wanted to do," Aiken told CBSNews.com.

Aiken points out that the classics had more emphasis on the melody, lyrics and orchestration when compared to contemporary songs heard on the radio today.

"They are standards because they did set the standard for what's really excellent," he added.

Aiken stopped by "The Early Show on Saturday Morning"'s "Second Cup Cafe" to perform his version of "Can't Take My Eyes Off of You" and "Mack the Knife."

Despite "Idol" 's positive influence on his career, Aiken admits he hasn't watched the show since 2005, because it stresses him to see others endure the grueling pressure.

So what does Aiken think about "Idol" judge Simon Cowell leaving the show?

"Simon was always the catalyst for the show's success," he said. "He's an integral part of the show, so I guess it remains to be seen (how the show will change.) Simon was a nice training ground in some ways -- knowing what critics might say."

In June, Aiken will co-headline the "Timeless" tour with good friend and fellow "Idol" alum Ruben Studdard. (It was Studdard who beat out Aiken in seson two).

"It will be Ruben and Clay -- like Sonny and Cher, like Donny and Marie, but a substantially different version than that!" Aiken joked. "He's one of the most infectious performers that I have ever seen. Every time he comes on stage, you can't help but smile. He is one of my favorite people in the world."

In 2008, Aiken reached some major milestones -- his "dear friend," music producer Jaymes Foster, gave birth to his son, Parker and, at the same time, he decided to come out as being gay. Although it wasn't easy to do and he wasn't thrilled with the idea, he's glad to be moving forward with his life.

Aiken, who refers to fatherhood as "amazing" gushed, "Sometimes I still have to pinch myself. ... It has been surprising and fulfilling from minute one."

He has sold more than six million copies worldwide of his four albums: the double-platinum "Measure of A Man" (featuring the hits "Invisible" and "This is the Night"), 2004's platinum holiday CD, "Merry Christmas With Love," 2006's gold-certified "A Thousand Different Ways," and 2008's "On My Way Here," all of which debuted in the Top 5 on the Billboard chart.

Aiken has launched nine live tours, made the New York Times best-seller list by co-authoring the inspirational memoir, "Learning to Sing: Hearing the Music In Your Life," executive produced and starred in his first TV special, "A Clay Aiken Christmas," and won several American Music and Billboard Music Awards.

In January 2008, Aiken made his Broadway debut in the role of Sir Robin in the Tony Award-winning musical, Monty Python's "Spamalot." <br style="clear: both; ">

By Melissa Castellanos

©MMX, CBS Interactive Inc.. All Rights Reserved.

I am so confused.....I was doing some computer maintenance this morning so wasn't even thinking about streaming the backstage stuff....now Clay just said he is heading upstairs to sing again so we should watch on the show. Does that mean TV? LOL I hope that whatever I missed was capped.

That was fun! I missed the beginning (and the song) but caught the end. Do we know if they make these backstage videos available anywhere after the fact?

ETA: Clay Aiken coming up in just a few minutes... (on the broadcast)

When I was researching Backstage Live on CBS last night, they had a link for previous shows, so I think what he did online will be there.

It was a cute little interview. I had to LOL at him not being a "twit" (when they asked him if he uses Twitter)!

When I was researching Backstage Live on CBS last night, they had a link for previous shows, so I think what he did online will be there.

It was a cute little interview. I had to LOL at him not being a "twit" (when they asked him if he uses Twitter)!

Excellent! Here's hoping.

Hee, even the offstage guy laughed at the 'twit' thing. :cryingwlaughter:

OK, what is it with Clay appearing on the same show as zoo animals?

But the white tiger is kind of cute...

Huh?? they must have different segments on different broadcasts. No zoo animals on this station.

I think the morning show dictionary is similar to the Clay dictionary... 'next' really means 'soon'.

He's on right now. Intro'ing him... and Unchained Melody!!!

Heheh, ooops - he bobbled the line (must suck to have to shorten these songs so much)

Mmmm, good job, Clay. He's really rockin' the stubble. Rawr!

Okay -they are going outside with the animals now - I guess things are just edited weirdly for the west coast feed. I'm watching on a time-shift station - KIRO (I think is Washington state)

Damn...missed the backstage live...but it is supposed to be on the website later...I didn't realize it was online only.

He looked gorgeous singing UM...loving the hair and stubble.

Kim

Via notacanuck at the CH:

Clay will be interviewed on Sirius/XM OutQ radio (Ch. 109) this weekend. Larry Flick blogged about his radio show.

Hour 2

(I never thought I'd ever get to interview Clay. And if I ever did, I expected that it would be tense and combative. Well, Msr. Aiken was delicious! Funny, charming, revealing. Cherry on top is a Steve Anderson exclusive in the form of Christophe Willem's "State of Grace." Lush!)

Unchained Melody - Clay Aiken

A conversation with Clay Aiken

What Kind Of Fool Am I? - Clay Aiken

Can't Take My Eyes Off You - Clay Aiken

State Of Grace - Christophe Willem

The Flood - Katie Melua

Feel the Spin airs Sunday 2pm-6pm ET.

My new car has Satellite radio. I'm going to have to go for a long drive that day...hee.

I still do read around a few places, and yes, I do find some...distaste for all that Clay's done lately. But I'm to the point, as jmh suggested, that I just let it go in one ear and out the other. (OK, so I do email a few people and vent first...LOL)

kf, good point about the money being in the touring. I'm glad I'll be able to help Clay in that regard.

The vaults have the CBS morning clips up. However, the CTMEOOY is incomplete; my local TV station had the full version. I hope someone was able to cap that!

Did anyone catch that little "smirk" after he flubbed that line in UM this morning. I was thinking at the time "yea, that look was for the fans who really know his performances." It must be hard to perform, moving from show to show, when they keep changing the length of the performance.I don't even want to think about how "I" would handle those change-ups. :cryingwlaughter:

I do love that scruffy Aiken look and those eyes.....hmmmm! :Iluvclaysbutt:

I would love for all the fans who are complaining and nit-picking this morning's performance to get up at the crack of dawn and see if they could sing half as well, probably not...I know I couldn't.

Kim

KAndre looks around, sees the comments about the fanagers, shrugs, and goes...

Happy, happy! Joy, joy!

and adds the Kitty Cat dance for good measure

All I have to say to any fanagers and bitter bitches enraged over Clay's direction...well, Mr. Clay Aiken has more of a music career than they ever could, even if you spotted them Ray Charles, Elvis Presley, Aretha Franklin, Garth Brooks and Beethoven.

Confession time: The end of Clay's arrangement to UM (the "airplane" stuff) doesn't do it for me. I love the hell out of it up until that point - but the Righteous Brothers and AI Clay is just better for me. But ya know what? This album is a cohesive whole to me, and in general, I like it simply because Clay Aiken and his voice is one of my favorite artists ever. And I have never been one to listen to entire albums in order. It's like a movie soundtrack for me.

And I have never been one to listen to entire albums in order. It's like a movie soundtrack for me.

I always do listen to albums in order, at least initially. That's probably ingrained from the 60's and 70's when some of my favorites albums had no gaps between tracks and they transitioned into one another, with frequent intentional overlaps. I have downloaded many tracks from older albums that began with the end of the last song. The band/artist did this so that the album would be listened to in whole and in order, but then those were the days of the theme albums.

I just read something that made me chuckle -- a story about Hey Jude and how producer George Martin told the group they couldn't release it as a single because at over 8 minutes long it would never get played on the radio. John Lennon said, "It will if it's us." It was released as a single, and become the biggest selling single in the history of the Beatles. Sometimes you have to break the mold and create a new one. Conventional wisdom doesn't last forever.