# 63: Clay Aiken for President!

ldyjocelyn

I think my first computer was a 10 mb something or other. And when I bought it, it came with the online sign up floppy disk to Prodigy. Is it still around? So it was usenet and prodigy. And then prodigy learned quickly to charge for their bulletin boards and so there was mass exodus to GEnie which wasn't a graphics based program. I'm so happy the internet for the most part when the way of the free. They tried to charge by the hour to freakin' chat. Then the next thing you know the dreaded AOL which by that time I was too snooty to use LOL. That was for beginners. I used to be such an expert with the computer but everything just goes along so fast now. There's something new everyday.

Have a good one everybody.

I just read some speculation elsewhere about a possible concert (not confirmed!) near Syracuse NY, at Turningstone. I hope they can firm that one up this week, before the Shippenburg PA venue goes on sale.

Today is supposed to be the hottest day of the year so far, with temps reaching 36 C before the humidex is factored in. They have closed most of the outdoor camps, etc. And here I am in my office, with the A/C blasting, and a sweater on.

Happy birthday to both Carolina Clay and Scarlett!

Gala honorees for 2012...

http://www.inclusion...vel_3.php?id=53

The National Inclusion Project is proud to announce the 2012 Champions Gala Honorees:

Bridget and Nancy Brown, Loretta Claiborne and Steven Eidelman

The awards will be presented at the annual

Champions Gala on October 20, 2012, at the National Theater in Washington, DC. Champions are selected by the National Inclusion Project for their considerable efforts to ensure no child sits on the sidelines, supporting the Project’s mission of opening doors for all children to be included together and experience all that life has to offer.

Bridget and Nancy Brown

When a child is born with a disability the family embarks on a new and unique journey. It can be a joyous trip that needs careful research and strategic planning. Nancy Brown has successfully navigated that journey. She and “the love of her life” Bridget share their story and lead others through their own journeys into full and inclusive lives.

Bridget captures the attention of everyone she meets with her vitality and confidence. Bridget was the first person with Down Syndrome to be included in her school district. She graduated in 2005 as a result of this very successful school experience. She is a national public speaker and shares tools and strategies she used to be successfully included.

Nancy has had over 30 years of experience working with individuals with disabilities.

For the past ten years she was an inclusion consultant for the Illinois State Board of Education (Project CHOICES) and currently is a private consultant with PATHFINDERS consulting services.

Loretta Claiborne

"I figured if my story could change a person's mind about another person, or especially a child's mind about another child, then it was the right thing to do."

Loretta was the middle of seven children in a poor, single-parent family. Born partially blind and intellectually challenged, she was unable to walk or talk until age 4. Eventually though, she began to run. And before she knew it, she had crossed the finish line of 25 marathons, twice placing among the top 100 women in the Boston Marathon. She's carried the torch in the International Special Olympics, has won medals in dozens of its events, and also holds the current women's record in her age group for the 5000 meters at 17 minutes.

Loretta Claiborne is truly an amazing and inspiring woman who has not only touched the lives of hundreds of thousands, but has changed the lives of all with whom she has met. Ms. Claiborne is a woman of faith who shares her personal story that carries a heart-felt message of hope and promotes the inclusion of persons with intellectual disabilities all over the world. In 2000, Walt Disney Productions created The Loretta Claiborne Story. Loretta is a world-class runner and gifted motivational speaker who happens to also be a Special Olympics Athlete and a person who has an intellectual disability.

Steven Eidelman

Steve Eidelman has led change in a variety of settings for people with intellectual and other developmental disabilities at the local, state and national levels in the US and, more recently, internationally.

As the former Executive Director of The Arc of the United States, the nation’s largest organization concerned with people with intellectual and related developmental disabilities and their families, he worked on issues ranging from supporting consumers and families through provision of information and tools to assist them in obtaining the services and support they choose.

Beginning September, 2005 Steve became a professor in the College of Education and Human Development at the University of Delaware. He has also been instrumental in developing, with a half-dozen national disability organizations, the National Leadership Consortium on Developmental Disabilities, a partnership designed to train and develop the next generation of inclusive organizational leaders in the field. One of the things he is the most excited about is being able to develop leadership training programs for people who manage in both government and not-for-profit sectors supporting people with disabilities.

Steve is a past President of the American Association on Intellectual and Developmental Disabilities (AAIDD) and is Senior Advisor to the Chairman and CEO of Special Olympics International.

:GM_FCA:

Early breakfast meeting today...overcast this morning..hoping that means we will get some rain.

Couchie We were in AOL hell for years..AOL and dial-up..not a good combination. Took us forever to get out of our contract with them..many phone calls and them assuring me the account was cancelled and then getting my visa bill and still seeing charged, I finally had to call the credit card and have them stop payment and that did the trick..it was a nightmare. We went to Comcast which was fine for a while, but their customer service sucked and then we started getting outtages all the time..so now we are with AT&T..love them!

Happy Birthday to all celebrating!

Everyone have a great day!

Kim

Yikes, no other posts today. And describing my day will surely put anyone to sleep. I spent most of the day dealing with joomla categories and article urls. :856:

Everyone went by different names there, but weren't some of you on the Hub way back when? I was so impressed with the women in the hub because they were all so technologically advanced and knowledgeable. I loved to "listen" to them in chat tossing out geeky terms so expertly. The large number of women geeks has always been an appeal for me of this fandom! Like y'all I have learned so much since 2003, and I got so into it and saw how capable others were, that I was also inspired to learn techie things beyond the Clay world. Didn't make much sense to look for a career in it though, because by the latter half of the 00s, all the tech jobs were gone anyway. Not to mention that I'm old! At an earlier age, and pre-Clay, you could not have convinced me that I had the aptitude--no way!

This reminds me of my first ever "travel for Clay" experience. On a whim, I decided to see the IT tour in Charlotte -- I flew in early Saturday morning, left early Sunday morning. If I remember correctly, I met Fear, luckiest1, and several others there. However, one of my most distinct memories was after the show, as there were a bunch of us from the CH who went back to someone's room. A router was hooked up and there were suddenly three different computers running in that one room. I was floored that someone would even do that, and I was also very impressed. (And then, I remember the group splitting up at about 1:00 a.m. for food -- my group went for Taco Hell!)

I think I was on AOL for one month. That was enough for me.

I want it to be October right now so badly. It's cooler weather, and the Gala would be here!

Oh, and later this morning, I'm buying tickets to a different Christmas show. This one is in my hometown -- the Brian Setzer Orchestra!

We had dial up from whenever it was we first got internet (99-00? yes we were late to the game on this) to mid-2010. Just a local place that a guy ran out of his house. But he was good! Did computer repairs too. lol! But where we lived at the time had no cable services in the area (and still doesn't I believe-if you want cable you HAVE to have satellite) and I recall not even being able to get DSL services. So we were stuck. Luckily some smart person invented wi-fi for dial up so we at least had that. We're with AT&T now and while it's not xfinity or any other cable service, it still does the job better than dial up. I can at least download and stream stuff now!!!

I remember both my grandpa and I looking into that Hughes Net satellite internet and they wanted a disproportionate amount of money for speeds that are worse than DSL...it's a total ripoff.

I was definitely at the IT tour in Charlotte. There was a preconcert dinner at an Italian restaurant which had a shrine to Frank Sinatra in a corner of the hall. The concert was at Carowinds, an amusement park, and was the first time I took a camera. I remember running back to the car and putting it away because of the metal detectors. Someone in front of me was able to get in with several cameras and was passing them out to people in the front row to take Clack. :lol: What a chicken I was.

I bought my first desktop computer in 1983 for my business because I had been using them in my previous accounting job. A few years later my son got me hooked up with compuserve, which at that time had bulletin boards rather than web sites. It took furever to get on line but I was able to do a little tax research once on. My son went on to college to get his degree in English Lit but ended up making his living with computers.

Fear, wasn't that the NAT? That was the first time I met couchie, if I remember correctly, 'cause I was at that show too. The IT tour was at some arena...can't remember which one...

That's right. I was at the IT in Philadelphia and Winston-Salem. I helped with the CH party in Winston-Salem . I don't believe I was at the IT in Charlotte. I have no idea why. Was there one? I did go to many NATs : Raleigh, Greenville, Greensboro, Charlotte.

Yes, it was definitely the IT in Winston-Salem. That was my break out moment, I think. I saw the IT in Detroit (a mere 2 hour drive) and on a whim, my daughter and I booked flights to Raleigh for the next day, so we could follow the tour to NC. It was a whirlwind 24 hour trip! But we managed to rent a car, use mapquest, and see all the sights. I don't think we slept much! I met my first CHers at that party.

By the time the NAT rolled around I had drunk the koolaid. I went to 7 stops, including Greensboro, and the two in Raleigh at the Dort N'Arena. ;)

I have holidays booked in October this year. I have two days booked off for the Gala and then two days booked off for Skate Canada in Windsor, ON. I am reserving a few days in December for JNT dates as well.

Tweets from today:

Yay @DowntonAbbey gets 16 Emmy noms. And 6 of them are acting nods (more than any other show!) #HOLLA
Can u sell my house? ;-) RT @wandacleo: We're talking about FLOORING on the message board! Pls ask us a question to keep us occupied

I take it this must be CV? But EEEEEEEEEEE for wanda!

Retweet from TigerCubGirl82:

@clayaiken @DowntonAbbey Excited for Downton, but frustrated that Community STILL gets shut out for comedy!!!!#sixseasonsandamovie

I was going to try to come up with something about "Community" but couldn't come up with anything. That show needs some love, and I'm glad Clay is with me on that!

Weird day today. I got a call from a woman who said our cat attacked her dog and did our cat have all his shots. The little bugger has refused to come in the house lately and even slept outside in the rain. I'm thinking it's because our other cat is in the house crying all day. She only quiets down when I pick her up, but she starts at 5:30 in the morning and I'm really getting tired. The vet said it's because she is deaf.

The other bugger only scratched her dog so nothing serious but she was concerned about the shots. I told her he is up to date on them. But what kind of cat attacks a dog? A couple of months ago 2 dogs got away from a woman walking them in front of our house and chased him up a tree. That was the time I ran after the dogs to stop them and fell twice getting some cuts and bruises. Guess I'll take him back to the vet for tranquilizers or something to calm him down. Strangely enough most of the neighbors love him as he was very friendly.

Better get to bed before my wake up calls.

Fear, you have some strange neighbors. I remember that fall you had--it was not fun I am sure.

Once I lived in a house with a cat that cried all the time. He had broken his leg, and after the surgery he never was right again. One leg was in a big cast, and he would go up on the huge loft in this house and walk back and forth on that peg leg and cry all the time, especially during the night hours. His name was Turtledove, IIRC, something that just didn't fit with the poor thing. There's a new nickname that he earned somewhere in the back of my mind. All I can think of is pirates--lol. I hope your kitty can find some relief, and the other one too.

Lydj, you and Clay make me want to watch Community, and I hardly ever watch TV anymore.

Hey, merrieeee!!!!!!!!

I was at the NAT threefer which included Charlotte. I can't remember hardly anything about the Charlotte CH afterparty except meeting couchtomato (squeeeeee) and that the table centerpieces were extremely cool and I wished I had won one. I didn't have a clack closet back then. :hysterical: I remember a lot more about the Raleigh side of the three-fer. There was a huge party at ebird's. At that time I lived in PA, and her place is close to where I live now. I remember being thrilled to be driving out this way, after being away from home so long. I have always loved this area of NC, a bit away from the urban centers but still very close.

I remember, I was with YSRN and Shadylil and her Philly Clay buddy. YSRN drove us to Charlotte and had lost her drivers' license at the airport in CA so they wouldn't let her rent a car in NC. She had to put it in her stepfather's name, and she wasn't supposed to be driving but she did. We came back the same night, and she dropped us off at my mom's in Raleigh and drove on to her mother's. By then it was almost dawn. I had a ticket for the Raleigh concert for my niece who loved Clay, her first time to see him live, and my sister, her stepmom, even came in and listened to the second half. Dortnorena was so hot, and Clay was hawt too! I just took someone from where I live now by Dortnorena the other day; she'd never seen it or heard of it. It really is a remarkable building.

I didn't get to the W-S show, but at the time, I lived in prime country for seeing Clay. Those were the days! I hope he will do a local show this year--I'm sure he would sell lots of tickets!

Boy I got wordy!

Brought my male cat in the house today and the first thing he did was start eating the cat litter out of the box. That with his grooming,all the time, I'll take him to the vet as soon as they open.

Watched Project Runway last night but got a little bored with it. I hope they start emphasizing the clothes rather than the spats between the designers. Maybe I missed it but would love to see how that designer made the different size pleats in the long gown.

The day after the IT in Winston-SalemI went to Krispie Kreme to see Clay. He was unbelievably thin and so very shy. So different from his stage persona. Several people working the event let us know what a busy day he had visiting schools for kids with disabilities, a law firm and the KK administrative offices. That is why I hate to see those fans who bash him for sitting around and doing nothing all day. We have no idea what he is doing each day.

:GM_FCA:

92 Days until the Gala!: :yahoo:

:Happy Birthday to all celebrating!

Everyone have a great day!

Kim

Fear, your cat sounds like a good candidate for Jackson Galaxy, the cat behaviorist (yes there is such a thing!) who hosts "My Cat from Hell" on Animal Planet. The cats he helps are really, really bad though. (I can't help watching that show, it's crazy but in a good way. I just bought his book too -- he's a guy whose life from drugs and alcohol was basically rescued by a cat!)

jmh, Community is really an acquired taste, IMO. I started watching it from the first episode because I work at a community college. It really didn't hit its stride until late the first season, with the infamous "paint ball" episode (which was a wicked take off on the Dirty Harry movies). This year, they did a marvelous take off on the Law and Order series (Clay tweeted about that one) and Ken Burn's The Civil War series. There was an article that came out earlier this year with a list of the 10 episodes to give to people who've never seen the show. I'll have to find it and post it later.

Since we seem to be reminiscing around here (and at other places too...) -- what would you say is the craziest thing you've done for Clay? I can think of several, and I may space mine out. One would definitely be Winston-Salem; that was a crazy but fun 24 hours.

More later. Gotta go to work.

ebird'spig picking BBQ. Good times. :)

Fear, good luck with your cat. I hope the vet can tell you what's going on.

Craziest? Probably our last minute, whirlwind drive to Fort Wayne last year. I went to work that morning, got emailing with cindlu2, ended up leaving work at noon, jumped in her car, drove 5 1/2 hours, lucked into the best seats my life, my daughter lucked into a free M&G, drove home and was back at work at 8 a.m. the next morning with very little sleep.

Either that or flying to Vegas for 5 days to see Clay sing in the Xmas skating show. We stayed at Hooters. It was a riot. We saw Elton John at Caesar's Palace. We save the Beatles' Love too. We had a great trip. Farthest I've ever flown for Clay!