# 63: Clay Aiken for President!

ldyjocelyn

Another crazy time for me: I went to the Indy Santa Slam in 2003. My husband and I got to the hotel night before at about 10:00 p.m. I then got up at 3:30 a.m. to stake a claim at the radio station where Clay was appearing that morning. The studio had windows so that you could see the interview going on -- and that interview started at 8:30 a.m. Did I mention that it was 10 degrees BELOW 0 Fahrenheit that morning too? Totally nuts. But it was an experience I'll never forget.

I'm sure I have more, I'll continue to post...

Fear I hope your kitty can get some help from the vet. Doesn't sound good...

Community... I watched the first episode I think and wasn't really captured by it, but I recently saw a clip from an episode this past season and it was funny! I might give it a try someday.

The craziest thing I've done for Clay is probably nothing compared to some things others have done..I've never gotten to just get up and go to an event, even though last year I was offered a free ticket and a ride from Ft. Wayne to the next night in Waukegan. My problem there was I wouldn't know how to get home! LOL Anyway, besides missing that opportunity, I think the only thing I did was get up around 4 am? Drove to the venue for the Sterling Heights concert the day of the public sale. Ended up meeting and getting to know Ficus who was in front of me, we made a deal that if she could get close tickets that she'd buy mine for me and I'd pay her for it. She ended up buying the entire 6 seats of 2nd row center. And I gotta say...that was one of the BEST concerts ever! I had a friend come up from Texas to go with me and we were in heaven the whole night. LOL

Okay and maybe this one is crazy too, maybe not, but I was in a 3-car caravan with 13 other people for a Christmas 3-fer back in 2007. We went to South Bend, Waukegan and Kalamazoo. And that was SO fun!!

Crazy?? Hmm. The whole experience is pretty crazy when you think about it!

Two things come to mind.

One.....Driving to Dallas, to a soccer stadium, to see HIM on the 4th of July , driving back to Houston, hosting a party for 100 Clay fans the next day, going to the Clay concert after and then leaving at 2 in the morning to go to Tulsa, getting stopped by State Troopers because I was being abducted by some strange people (Kandre swears it was because I was the token white person), going to the worst venue ever for a Clay show, screaming like a banshee with keepingfaith because he touched our hands and then turning around and driving back to Houston! Phew I'm tired thinking about it!

And the other time was standing in the Schubert Alley when it was 19 below with the wind chill, giving a cellcert! I couldn't pry my fingers open to put the phone away....they were slightly frozen. I'm surprised I didn't get frostbite!

Early on, for the NAT in 2004, my daughter and I decided, again on a whim, to attend both Clio shows. We found tickets online and I remember walking through some restaurant calling out "Fran?" until we found the woman who was selling them to us. We did not have a hotel booked to stay the night however, but we had found someone online who said we could share their room. Too bad they went bus chasing after the concert *cough* so we finally tried to sleep in our car. Woke up about 2 a.m. and were FREEZING so we drove to the next little town on the highway (everything in Clio was taken) and booked ourselves into this little fleabag motel for the rest of the night.

I guess taking 3 trips to NYC by plane, in the span of a few months, when I'd never been there in my life, spending *mumble mumble* dollars on tickets to 10 showings of Spamalot for me and random children, styaing with strangers, riding the subway and air train there like it was my job is pretty crazy, when I look back on it. But man was it fun!

Crazy?? Hmm. The whole experience is pretty crazy when you think about it!

I think that too, more often than not. That's why, when I tell others about my adventures and they say "that's crazy!", I usually just agree with them. And then, I point out to them the men who follow their football/baseball/NASCAR to the ends of the earth, and then they usually shut up.

But man, is it fun!

One.....Driving to Dallas, to a soccer stadium, to see HIM on the 4th of July , driving back to Houston, hosting a party for 100 Clay fans the next day, going to the Clay concert after and then leaving at 2 in the morning to go to Tulsa, getting stopped by State Troopers because I was being abducted by some strange people (Kandre swears it was because I was the token white person), going to the worst venue ever for a Clay show, screaming like a banshee with keepingfaith because he touched our hands and then turning around and driving back to Houston! Phew I'm tired thinking about it!

merrieeee, I was there for the last part of that. I sadly couldn't make the soccer stadium, but the Houston show was amazing, and that glorious venue and fantastic party were simply divine. And then...Tulsa. That was the CRAZIEST place for a concert, and terrible. But, I remember Clay getting lots of laughs out of it -- wasn't that the place where Quiana thought the venue was haunted? Anyway -- after that show -- I do remember waiting for the busline, and getting a touch from Clay. Sigh.

I guess taking 3 trips to NYC by plane, in the span of a few months, when I'd never been there in my life, spending *mumble mumble* dollars on tickets to 10 showings of Spamalot for me and random children, styaing with strangers, riding the subway and air train there like it was my job is pretty crazy, when I look back on it. But man was it fun!

Mine was similar, I saw Spam 5 times in one weekend!

I think so many of our trips have "crazy" on them, but they are so much fun, we don't care. Onward to Washington, DC!

Crazy Clay Moment...compared to you all, I am pretty sedate in my craziness..I guess the Borders Book Signing in Chicago would be considered the craziest,,we were too late to get our books signed, but my friend Nancy and I hung out with everyone anyway and kept Jamar company at the corner of "staff and only" (you had to be there) until my friend Nancy shmoozed the security guard at the stairs (the signing was on the second floor) and we snuck up to get a peek at him. That was when I fell in love with the green sweater. I was following her around and made a fool of myself getting all fangirly when I saw Nick and then we inadvertently walked into the photographer's area and were about to get kicked out when a nice gentleman covered for us and said it was okay and allowed us to take pictures. We took a few and the found a nook where we could watch the proceedings.

And we thought we were being so extravagant going to two JBT's...Merrillville and Indianapolis..Jamar was there too and some other fans and that was the first time I slept with another Clay fan in the same bed!

Now that you are all bored to tears..let's hear some more real craziness.

Kim

Craziness? Well I could say I flew halfway around the world to see Spam twice......

But truth is we were coming to the US anyway and boy was I excited when I realised that we would be in NY for Spam!!!

I did however spend something like $1000 AUD on 4 tickets to each of Spam and Wicked before we left home. Could have been a bit more but I have blacked out such wanton extravagance from my memory!

I was worried we would miss out - rookie mistake. The night before our booked tickets DH took the boys to baseball and I hit the TKTs booth for myself and strolled on in. Big deal for me strange city, subway etc by myself. I only wish I had not been too shy to strike up a conversation with others in the crowded foyer. I was eavesdropping on people all around and I am sure they were all there for Clay.

Oh well, I'll keep buying those lotto tickets.

Hey ausdon, I hope we get to meet you soon.

My three hours at the gym yesterday resulted in my not being able to move much today. Can't straighten up or bend over. What a mess!

If anyone is interested here's a cute interview with my Portland OR son on the start of his new website to help the gardeners in his town. http://www.portlandmonthlymag.com/blogs/plantwise/

:GM_FCA:

91 Days until the Gala!: :yahoo:

:Happy Birthday to all celebrating!

Everyone have a great day!

Kim

Well we managed to do alright in the Shippensburg PA ticket sale this morning, although it was a bit dicey at first. It was one of those applications that you have to pick your own seat, and every time I picked 2, it would say they were already taken. You could tell people were hitting the site fast and furious! But I ended up getting seats in row E which is pretty damned good. Now for the weather in December to cooperate!

Jumping back to the changes in storage, I'm trying to get an old laptop ready to give my sister, and that involves getting an even older laptop working because I need one computer with a floppy disk drive. So I put my jump drive in the oldest one, Win 98, to grab a file, and of course it needs a driver to work. So I find one online--now how do I get it to the computer? Putting it on the jump drive doesn't work because it won't identify the jump drive without a driver. I really don't want to bother setting up wi-fi. So I think, oh I will put it on a floppy and move it that way. So I crank up the laptop I'm giving my sister, put the file on it, and attach the removable floppy disk drive. But when I tried to move it, one single .exe file was too big for the memory on that whole 3" floppy! Lordy. So I'm going to try burning it to a CD and moving it that way.

Edited by jmh123
edited to clarify babble

A friend of mine emailed the Dallas Symphony today, so I'm hoping for good news to come back. :) She later added she should email the Houston Symphony too since they already have worked with him. I'm hoping if she does, that at least one of them books Clay!! I could probably do either city.

A friend of mine emailed the Dallas Symphony today, so I'm hoping for good news to come back. :) She later added she should email the Houston Symphony too since they already have worked with him. I'm hoping if she does, that at least one of them books Clay!! I could probably do either city.

I really hope that he comes to either Houston or Dallas. I do not have much hope for Houston because Jone's Hall, where the Houston Symphony, resides is booked most of December with the Nutcracker. But I can make it to Dallas.

90 Days until the Gala!: :yahoo:

Kim

Lucky - those are great seats. I think row 5-9 are the prefect seats. Good luck to everyone trying to get seats or hoping he comes to their town. He'll have to come near me for me to see him this tour. After the gala, I just won't be able to pick up and go across country.

Crazy things I've done for Clay. Lots. This fandom rescued me from a boring life in which the only adventure revolved around work--some of it pretty good adventurewise, but basically, pretty lonely. I moved, and moved, and moved, and moved, following jobs that lasted two years here, one year there, one final one that lasted much longer in a place I didn't much care for in a work world I just didn't fit into, and then came the Clay fandom! Rescue! Adventure! And now almost all of my closest friends I met through this fandom, and it isn't always all about Clay either. Although we still squeeeeee!!!!

One crazy thing I did that stands out for me is that I played hookey from my job to go to a Clay concert in Philadelphia--the IT. My concert buddies wanted to go early. One person at work knew what I was up to--not sure she approved, but she kind of covered for me. Totally risky and unacceptable, but I did it, and I didn't even care. Another adventure that same tour, a few days later--this time the concert was in NY, on Long Island. Couldn't play hookey twice in the same week, so I left the second I could, drove directly to the bus station, took a 2 hour bus to NY, ran to Penn Station, made my train by 5 minutes, half hour train ride, arrived in the town the arena was in, grabbed a taxi, and got there just as Clay's part of the show was about to start. If he and Kelly had switched that night I would've been screwed. Couldn't get home the same way, as the bus didn't run that late, so I had prearranged a ride through the boards with people whom I had of course never met before, in a limousine! They played Clay videos the whole way back and we had such a good time. They turned out to be good Clay buddies with whom I would go to other concerts and NYC events. Third crazy thing, same tour--Shadylil and I drove home from Wilkes-Barre in a blizzard. We had started out on the highway, but there was so much traffic and we couldn't see a thing; we felt it was just too dangerous, so we decided to go on a smaller road. On that road there was no light and whiteout conditions practically. There were no cars at all. I sat on the edge of my seat right up at the windshield and kept an eye on the shoulder to make sure she didn't go off, and we talked about the concert all the way back.

Good times, good friends! And more adventures to come this year!

If anyone is interested here's a cute interview with my Portland OR son on the start of his new website to help the gardeners in his town. http://www.portlandm...logs/plantwise/

Hope you are recovered from your exercise session by now. You know what they say, hair of the dog. How is your kitty? I took a look at your son's website--what a great idea!! My brother would be green :rolleyes: with envy that your son is car free! And his thesis about cookbooks sounds really interesting. Too bad he's so far away!

:hello: to all!

Thanks jmh. Your adventures are amazing. The most unusual thing I ever did for Clay was to travel to Las Vegas alone to meet up with playbiller, who missed her flight due to a sprained ankle. She flew in a few days later than planned.

My back is a lot better as the muscle spasms have slowed down but I still can't straighten up. I'm going to take, at least, this week off from the gym to make sure it heals.

Simba, my sometimes devil cat, is residing in the garage and appears to be quite happy about it. He has access to the house but rarely leaves the garage. He stopped eating litter, which we changed to nonclumping, but is still grooming a lot. We defleaed him again and are combing his long hair so he is looking much better also. The veterenarian recommended Advantage for cats over 9 lbs as none of the others I used seemed to help with fleas. He passed his physical and blood tests.

My son's major was English Lit so of course he works with computers now. I have a huge box of the stories, poems and papers he wrote. His thesis won an award at graduation. The students had to publish them and the school library has every thesis written from the beginning of the school. I miss not being able to see him at will. :(

Have a great day!

Looking at 101 degrees again today; who would have thought I would actually be looking forward to the Fall and cooler temps!

89 Days until the Gala!: :yahoo:

Kim

I have to object to merrieeee's "craziest" Clay trip - I would have to say it was when she was blind as a bat, didn't know me from Adam, but abandoned her flight for me, went to go spend the night in GBB's house and had me illegally drive us from Mobile to New Orleans (and I didn't even know she was blind as a bat). Except for that, I can't say I've really done anything certifiable (and none of y'all can prove it! Any witnesses were in it up to their necks!)

Hee Hee! I'd forgotten about that trip....yep I also sneaked into the front row that same time! And she wasn't kidding I really was blind as a bat! I had cataract surgery not long after and could finally see. The doctor said I shouldn't have been driving hence the switcheroo of the drivers.

God have we had fun or what? Hee I love this fandom!

Oh yeah I almost forgot the time I jumped into a strangers car, at some mall, to go to my first Clay party! It was 00lsee by the way.

88 Days until the Gala!: :yahoo:

Kim