# 65: "Clay Aiken's Not Just Any Joe"

ldyjocelyn

I just can't get past how quickly some fans jump all over Clay for assumed things. :thinking:

Yesterday one of the six year olds told us his mom is in jail. The child said it was just he and his dad. We found out that his dad just got out too. We left a Christmas present for him with his teacher. I hope it makes him happy. I also made cookies for the whole class.

Cleaning today before I leave to wrap at Barnes and Noble. We are so excited that #1son and his girlfriend will be here tomorrow. :partydance:

Spoilers from artquest from the Arsenio taping:

Good news: Looks: swoonworthy sings: This Christmas Couch:Duck Dynasty/homophobia. Backstage: hysterical make out session
He said that he has been using his voice but that he would be helping/focusing more on those whose voices haven't been heard.

That last part is VERY interesting....

Just gonna put this out there right now....

No matter what Clay has planned for the future, I'm not going anywhere. I've never felt disrespected by the man, and I want to continue to follow him, whatever he chooses to do.

If that makes me a naive fool, so be it.

• Like 1

oh yes...tonight is the night. Is that all the details so far. Has it aired on east coast.

Well, I had a wonderful relaxing week long vacation. Came home and had dinner with the lovely and wonderful Perusing One. Found a new place to live YAY. I was so stressing over that. I was more concerned about finding a place than paying all the money down. The good stuff continued when my brother told me he would pay for movers to handle everything. And then today I go to work and get a $500 bonus. Yay. Goes right to the move in costs. And I get paid 3 times before move in so I'm suddenly stress free.

Looking forward to seeing Clay tonight.

• Like 1

More spoilers from artquest. It's starting right now for me!

Will have to go back and read, but in the meantime, here are more details.

Sorry-I was typing and driving. Am now in a cafe and can say a little more. First, the appearance was great. He looked gorgeous and sounded fabulous. At least the second time. The first time he sang there was a problem. They said it was a technical glitch, but I think it was the ARLG at work. Meant we had to listen to him sing twice. Oh, the horror! Heh.

On the couch, Arsenio asked about the Duck Dynasty thing. Clay was so articulate without being demeaning as he talked about the issue. I was very proud.

And then Arsenio asked about the future. He only said about two sentences: first about his career and then about helping to give a voice to those who didn't have one or weren't being heard.

You all should watch it to see if your impression is the same as mine.

But don't turn off the TV yet! There's one more backstage bit where this woman tells Clay they should make out 'coss she wants to make Arsenio jealous. Clay is totally adorable trying to avoid this. To no avail. She makes Potifar's wife look like a nun. Hysterical.

From Facebook:

1505000_10151863471323137_503170820_n_zps4e9c6cf7.jpg

Marco's

A dear old friend of Marco's, Clay Aiken stopped by this evening.

He was in town for a day and his friend asked him to recommend a restaurant. Clay recommended Marco's, as he has very fond memories of Marco's and the restaurant has a very special meaning to him. So, they stopped in for dinner tonight.

And since it's still Throw Back Thursday, here's a photo of him with Gyorgy at the time when Clay used to come in every week after they recorded American Idol.

Clay was happy to see that Gyorgy is till working here.

Thank you Clay for thinking of us on your only day in town.

I watched it live last night, turned it off after the skit where the girl jumped his bones, and went to bed to sleep on it. I haven't read anything elsewhere, I just wanted to put my thoughts down here before I did.

I was so thrilled when he came out singing and swinging! OMG how much do I love full body, belting-it-out Clay Aiken? I was jumping around my living room, I was so excited. This is the entertainer I love! OMG I've missed him! So happy. And so articulate on the couch. I was thrilled with Arsenio as well, for talking about their friendship and being honest about his own feelings. Great, great interview. Clay looked wonderful, those green eyes were piercing. And then the career question happened and that kind of took the wind out of my sails.

You know, since gala, I've felt as though Clay was saying goodbye to something. I didn't know what, and I was still very hopeful for the future, for Broadway, for something that involved "fans". These past ten years have been so much fun. I've made so many wonderful friendships. Of course I want it to continue. But I think it's clear that that chapter has come to and end (or at least I'm pretty much convinced that it has, at this point). Perhaps Joseph was meant to be a last hurrah. I kind of wish I'd known. It's like eating that box of Smarties and not realizing you've already eaten the last one, you go looking for just.one.more. I do hope that Clay blogs again, lets us know more of his future plans. Not because I think he owes us anything, but I'd like to know more details, if he is able to give them.

We all come to points in our lives where we feel the need to change paths, do what's right for us, and our families. Things change, nothing lasts forever. I'm very sad that entertainment seems to be ending for Clay. He's never shied away from the fact that his first love was working with those with disabilities, teaching, those sorts of things. So I'm not shocked or anything, that he would choose a more philanthropic path. I don't know what the future holds, I don't know that he'll never sing again, but it seems as though there won't be any more inexpensive 'concerts' or events that people who don't have disposable income will be able to attend. It's no secret that I've funded most of my Clay trips with a credit card. There's no way I can do that when the price tag is in the thousands. If I'm wrong, I'll be the first one in line.

I woke up with a John Lennon song in my head this morning. It was written after the Beatles broke up, when the fans were freaking out and crying about it ending. It starts off with a long list of things that John no longer believes in, culminating in "I don't believe in Beatles!" and ends with this:

The dream is over, what can I say?

The dream is over, yesterday

I was the dream weaver, but now I'm reborn

I was the walrus, but now I'm John

And so dear friends, you'll just have to carry on

The dream is over

Good luck, Clay, in whatever you choose to do. I'm a fan for life. I will follow your path with great interest, and I will also follow my own. Thank you for ten wonderful years, and all the friendships that they helped to form.

• Like 2

luckiest, you have just saved me a LOT of typing, because you've pretty much said my thoughts. Fantastic post. Having said that, I'm going to keep typing...

As I was reading your post luckiest, one of the first things I noticed was the signature line of my previous post, which I've had since last April. It reads:

""American Idol" put a microphone into my hand so that I could sing, but I've really always felt I could use that same microphone to talk about things that are important to me and to the world." -- Clay AIken, appearing on American Idol in 2013

It's one of the main things that I've always admired about Clay, the fact that he realizes there are many people out there who NEED a voice, and he feels a responsibility to make sure some of those people get heard. That's one of the reasons I still think that politics could be in his future someday, although I would say not in the immediate future. (Although, I have to admit that his birthday hashtag of "#nowoldenoughtobepresident" gave me another hint in that regard.) When I first read his blog, my immediate thoughts turned to GLSEN, and him being some sort of media representative for the LGBT community. As he talked about so eloquently on Arsenio's show, there's still a LONG way to go for acceptance for this community, and I can see him wanting to make that happen.

Show business is an incredibly tough career. And frankly, IMO, there are a ton of people out there with talent to spare and "special voices" that never get a break into the biz, or can sustain it. Clay's made it 10 years! That really is an incredible thing. However, I've never believed that he's liked the actual "business" part of "show business." He truly does like to sing, and entertain, I have no doubt about that. But I believe all the behind the scenes stuff is very distasteful for him, and would rather not have to deal with that portion ever again.

What he's been saying for the past few months (what little there has been, that is...*g*) to me doesn't mean he can't go back to being an entertainer, eventually. It may be a year, it may be 5, it may be 10 or 20. Never say never, you know. But what I think I see from him is using the celebrity he's gained over the past 10 years to speak for those he feels needs it. I've seen other places -- "well, if he's not singing, his celebrity will go down." I don't know about that. Even though he really hasn't had a "hit record" in many a year, he's still mentioned as a celebrity, and is still mentioned when he's a guest star on a show. He's got name recognition, and most of the time, that's a good thing.

It does make me incredibly sad that my streak every year for the past 10 will end this year. And a few years ago, I would have thought nothing about pulling money out of a savings account and bidding on that private concert; not this year. However, I have confidence, and faith, that I will see him again.

Finally, Clay owes me NOTHING. I've gained so much from him already -- especially friendships with people from this board. And to end, I'm just going to steal from luckiest, because she said it wonderfully:

Good luck, Clay, in whatever you choose to do. I'm a fan for life. I will follow your path with great interest, and I will also follow my own. Thank you for ten wonderful years, and all the friendships that they helped to form.

On a shallow note, he looked wonderful, and I loved him talking to Arsenio about their time together on Apprentice.

One more thing: I think I've always had it in my head that he could leave show business since about, oh say, 2004. At that time, I believed he would sing for a long time to come, but again, I've always known the instability of show business. Therefore, I've always kept that "he could leave at any time" thought in the back of my head, as a preparation mechanism. I wish others in this fandom could have done that as well, but I know we're all different. (Did the same kind of thing with "he could be gay" back in the day too...)

• Like 1

I think every tour since the DCAT, I've been in the "this could be the last one, so better go to as many as possible" mindset. But it's still a bitter pill to swallow. I have friends who are both sides of this equation - some who are still in the Pollyanna mindset, and some who are hurt and angry. I think we all deal with things differently.

We are supposed to be getting freezing rain off and on all weekend. So far, just rain, thank God, so I was able to get into work this morning.. I still have Christmas errands to run, and grocery shopping to do, so I really hope that the temperatures stay above freezing for a little while longer. Yesterday, I managed to find my mom a present (not an easy task - the woman has everything and wants nothing!) so I only have a few small things to pick up now. I am working next week, Monday and half of Tuesday, before taking the rest of the week off.

Hope everyone is almost ready for Christmas!

It's supposed to be rain/freezing rain here too. I'm doing some of my holiday baking this morning, and then probably going to go out and get my chiropractor appointment out of the way early, so I don't have to travel too much this evening. However, I've got a v-e-t appointment for one of my cats at 8 a.m. tomorrow, followed by a hair appointment at 10, Sigh. (Fortunately, I got my last Christmas present Wednesday evening, so that's done!)

I think every tour since the DCAT, I've been in the "this could be the last one, so better go to as many as possible" mindset. But it's still a bitter pill to swallow. I have friends who are both sides of this equation - some who are still in the Pollyanna mindset, and some who are hurt and angry. I think we all deal with things differently.

And that's one of the things I've truly learned about being in this fandom -- how differently people process things. I've been in other fandoms before, but this one truly opened my eyes to the world, and how different we all are. Now, I frequently still don't UNDERSTAND the reasons why people react one way or another (when it seems so logical to me), but I at least am now aware of this idea. I totally have Clay to thank for that.

One more thing...I want to keep this board open as long as possible. Now, couchie may have a different idea, especially if Clay goes in a philanthropic direction. But I never want to lose track of you all here, and hope that some who have abandoned us in previous months/years come back as well. I love all of you (even if I don't understand you...*g*) and feel that we'll have a bond, with or without Clay (and I feel it will be WITH him) for a long time to come.

I know, I probably shouldn't have said anything. You can smack me the next time you see me!

His song last night was wonderful. I've always enjoyed that song...

And just to show how his celebrity is still relevant:

Late Night Highlights: Clay Aiken Talks Duck Dynasty

Time magazine's website has this on their front page. Pretty darn cool.

Also saw on CV that Clay was possibly sighted in O'Hare Airport in Chicago....

Whatever Clay does I'll still be a fan but I honestly cannot see him giving up singing. It would be like giving up the air he breathes. I can see him doing Broadway or even off Broadway while he is helping those without voices. Perhaps he needs a little more grooming before he can take on a major role.

I thought Clay was fantastic last night. But I almost felt sorry for Arsenio. He just didn't have very many funny jokes or bits.

Happy Holidays everyone. I sort of stopped posting because most everyone was feeling so optimistic about Clay's staying in entertainment, and I wasn't. I didn't want want to depress anyone or bring down the board. I'll still check in from time to time to say hello. I hope the board doesn't go away.

Have a wonderful Holiday!

I know I'm one of those people who kinda disappeared from posting lately.. but I wanted to add my two cents to his comments last night... I guess I don't feel too shocked. Kind of a let down since I was one of the ones who thought he may announce a new project next month instead but I don't think it came entirely out of left field. Anyway, if charity work is his new career path and events that involve him would cost some pretty big bucks, that leaves me out. I've always been "out" to begin with but there's no way I could attend anything like that ever, unless I won the lottery (lol). I feel like I've been watching from afar this whole year so maybe that's why it doesn't sting as much. I had the thought maybe he's moving in this direction so he has a somewhat more stable job while Parker is starting school and getting a little older, or maybe he's doing it because he's been given an opportunity and he really wants to take it. I know I don't need to figure out why he's going in the direction he is but I'm the cat curiosity killed. lol

Right now the other fandoms I found myself fallen into have really ramped up so I'm actually spending most of my internet time on Tumblr where they all live...sometimes when I'm on there I find myself comparing the energy to earlier Clay days and it makes me miss them. :/

Clay was not at O'Hare last night..a fan who had a stopover there heard some people talking and mention his name and thought maybe he was there; but those in California said the time frame would not work..he would not have had time to get from Arsenio's show to the airport to O'Hare at the the time the fan was there. It would have been about 8:30 our time which means he would have just finished taping the show.

As to the show..well..I have always been called a "pollyanna" and part of the "positive police" and I have always tried to keep a good perspective on this fandom thing. I remember right after AI when it seemed things were going at warped speed and it seemed this could go on forever; I would always tell myself that it is not going to last forever and there would be a day when there would not be concert tours every 6 months and CD's and TV appearances. There would come a time when Clay would decide to move on and do something else..maybe have a family and not want to tour as much. Clay was thrown into this so quickly and while he says it wasn't his first career choice, I think that was what he told himself because it wasn't happening. I have always believed that teaching was plan B and being and entertainer was plan A but he didn't know how to make Plan A happen or didn't think he would be given a chance because of his looks and maybe his sexuality. But God had different plans and threw AI in his path.

I truly believe he loves entertaining and being on stage and that AI gave him the opportunity to fulfill both sides of himself..the entertainer and the teacher. So many fans have said that Clay never had the passion for music because he didn't write his own songs but I don't believe that. I have seen the man sing and whether he has written the lyric or not; there is passion there and emotional investment in the song he is singing. His passion has always been singing and interpreting a song and he does it better than anyone I have ever heard. I think if he could go out on stage every night and just sing what he wants without worrying about CD's and record companies and fitting into a genre and whether or not a song is a cover or what the fans think...to just stand in front of a mic or sit on stool and just do what he loves..I think he would be the happiest man alive..but that isn't how it works. I don't think he has lost his passion for singing or entertaining..I think he has lost his enjoyment of doing it as a job.

So after 10 years..he is changing his career path to something that will fulfill him..at least that is what it appears to be. We could all still be wrong and he could spring something on us in the next few months..but if he is leaving..I wish him well and hope he finds what he is looking for. And if he is not..and I still have two fingertips hanging on to "I am certainly not going anywhere" from the blog..I will celebrate that too.

This has been an interesting ride and none I ever thought I would be on. I really hope the Clay train isn't coming into the station for the final time.

Kim

Well, I had a wonderful relaxing week long vacation. Came home and had dinner with the lovely and wonderful Perusing One. Found a new place to live YAY. I was so stressing over that. I was more concerned about finding a place than paying all the money down. The good stuff continued when my brother told me he would pay for movers to handle everything. And then today I go to work and get a $500 bonus. Yay. Goes right to the move in costs. And I get paid 3 times before move in so I'm suddenly stress free.

:rainbowsmile: Yay! I have been thinking about you. So happy you found something and I hope it is something you like too.