#3 - Here He Comes Again

Ansamcw

I stopped taping clay stuff about a year ago..it took me that long to realize, clack would always be available. It's not always as fast as it used to be but it always appears.

Yeah, me, too. The great thing about this fandom is that someone always seems to catch it, often before it even airs on the West Coast.

But frankly, none of this seems all that important to me. It isn't life or death. it's a pretty pop star that still has a fine future. so what if there are a few bumps. i've never seen any one, especially in the entertainment field, have just an upward trajectory.
So true. Life is short. Tomorrow, you could find a lump in your breast. Or a loved one could get hit by a car. Or a terrorist attack could change the way we live. I'd hate to look back at this time and think, "And I made myself miserable worrying about a rich, young pop star's career?" I love Clay. I think about him way more than I should. But I can't help but think that, in the grand scheme of things, his sales and promotion are not worth the angst, especially when many artists would kill for what he has.

Maybe it's because I've experienced some of this before as the fan of an actor. OK. It was Matt Damon. In 1997, I was smitten and saw Good Will Hunting in the theatre five times. I got involved in an online community that was equally obsessed, and we'd spend our days discussing film promotion and box office numbers. We'd rage over negative reviews and speculate about future projects, scowling when choice projects went to perceived rivals such as Leonardo Dicaprio, Jude Law, or Colin Farrell. There was angst over gay rumors and jealousy over Ben Affleck, who at one time, seemed to be regarded as the "Movie Star" (He got the title, "Sexiest Man Alive"--yuck!) despite what we felt to be a smarmy personality and far inferior acting skills. We pored over every random and obscure media reference to Matt, and ranted against anything remotely negative. Then Rounders and All the Pretty Horses (ATPH) tanked, and Jude Law got the Oscar nomination and attention for The Talented Mr. Ripley (TTMR--we had our acronyms, too), and Matt didn't work for over a year. Very disheartening. Very depressing. We were at wit's end. Then, we heard he got a role that Brad Pitt had turned down, an action movie that was very different from the artier films he'd been doing. We followed the on-set rumors and heard stories about re-shoots and production difficulties. We were all expecting the worst, but when The Bourne Identity opened to huge numbers, it suddenly vaulted him to the top. When Clay came around, I started following Matt more casually. However, so much of what I've seen in the Clay fandom (even though it's considerably larger than the Matt fandom), feels familiar. Because of that, I have to look at Clay's trajectory with some sense of perspective. It really isn't as dire as many believe.

I didn't care for A Clay Aiken Christmas... and I didn't need to post that 3 times a page for six months. This might be my 3rd post about it period. I still bought it though and it's sitting on my shelf unopened. I'll always support Clay's projects. And if he sings a song I don't like, or write a play that I don't like, I'll just wait for the next thing. Hell even denzel had his Viruosity. But there is always such anger at his choices. We want him to grow but a lot of the risks he has taken has only been stomped on.

I hate to say it, but I haven't opened ACAC either. But like you, I support him in everything he does because I do believe he is worth it. I think the potential is there is we give him the room to take risks.

I have to admit, I occasionally look at the "OMG! Why isn't he getting the freakin' SUPERSTAR treatment that he deserves?" and say, clearly I am not looking at the same career as others.

Absolutely. And look at all the other multi-platinum well-established artists (Janet Jackson, Elton John) who have recently complained about promotion. This notion that because Clay so obviously deserves the highest level of promotion, anything less is proof of conspiracy, seems unrealistic to me.

Edited by JennaZ

I didn't care for A Clay Aiken Christmas... and I didn't need to post that 3 times a page for six months. This might be my 3rd post about it period. I still bought it though and it's sitting on my shelf unopened. I'll always support Clay's projects. And if he sings a song I don't like, or write a play that I don't like, I'll just wait for the next thing. Hell even denzel had his Viruosity. But there is always such anger at his choices. We want him to grow but a lot of the risks he has taken has only been stomped on.

I hate to say it, but I haven't opened ACAC either. But like you, I support him in everything he does because I do believe he is worth it. I think the potential is there is we give him the room to take risks.

Make that one more unopened copy of "A Clay Aiken Christmas"! :lol:

*sob*

*pets pretty OPENED copy of ACAC*

*makes note to self that Christmas season is approaching and it's a good time to watch it again*

*makes another note to self that I shouldn't invite couchie, Jenna or claygasm*

*pouts in corner*

One opened and one unopened ACAC for the archives. I prefer to watch and listen to the real-time Christmas Clack that we've been lucky enough to get for the last two Christmas seasons, rather than revisit the Christmas special.

JennaZ, I loved getting your perspective from another fandom. Never having ben involved in the online thing before Clay, it's good to know that the Clay Nation isn't the only bunch of kooks (and I mean that in the nicest possible way :P ) out there.

*sob*

*makes note to self that Christmas season is approaching and it's a good time to watch it again*

*pouts in corner*

KAndre holds up her patented "Fruit/Veggie Shield"...

Y'all actually bought it?

I saw it once on TV...that was enough. I think this is my second mention of it.

*sob*

*pouts in corner*

I really am your minion, KAndre! I DIDN'T buy it. It was given to me as a Christmas gift by a Clay friend. I had NO intention of buying it. I was kind of embarrassed even watching it!

So I accepted it as a gift with a thank you and a smile, then put it away with the rest of my Clay stuff.

bottlecap, that's true, I actually I have TWO copies, one opened and one unopened.

And man, now I feel really alone...I still love the "Santa Claus is Coming to Town" duet from that special. Thought that was great!

*back to my corner, eating Cheetos*

What is set on your television DVR?

Whaaaa!! I don't have a DVR and I want one!!! **throws another tantrum**

Confession: I am a TV addict. So IF I had a DVR it would definitely be set to..... Prison Break, "24", when it comes back on, Studio 60 on the Sunset Strip; Standoff (which I am sure will be cancelled soon because I don't knw anyone who watches it!), House, Friday Night Lights; Bones, Lost, The 9; The O.C. (my guilty TV pleasure...), ER (I have a connection with Clay!!!!).

Hey, you are not alone. I watch Standoff and Bones, too.

I didn't care for A Clay Aiken Christmas... and I didn't need to post that 3 times a page for six months. This might be my 3rd post about it period. I still bought it though and it's sitting on my shelf unopened.

I hate to say it, but I haven't opened ACAC either.

Make that one more unopened copy of "A Clay Aiken Christmas"! laugh.gif

*sob*

I really am your minion, KAndre! I DIDN'T buy it. It was given to me as a Christmas gift by a Clay friend. I had NO intention of buying it. I was kind of embarrassed even watching it!

I love this board!

:lol:

Edited by JennaZ

Heh, my total support of Clay Aiken is such that I actually sat and watched the whole thing through.

All my minions like, totally rock.

gives ldyjocelyn some Cheez Doodles too...KAndre loves Cheez Doodles...

*gratefully accepts Cheez Doodles from KAndre and adjusts minion sash*

*gets dehydrated orange "cheese stuff" all over sash*

*throws hands in air, thinks "I'm hopeless," and sobs uncontrollably*

:P

bottlecap looks around at all the ACAC hatahs and torched puppies and screams the worst insults she can think of: "Y'all are BAD FANS!!!! CONAN-LOVERS!!!! Every last one of you!!!"

Grabs ldyjocelyn's hand, regrets it immediately because of the cheese-like crumbs, and stomps out of FCA in a snit....

Edited by bottlecap

I opened the ACAC that I bought and watched it and then gave it away to someone who loves it and watches it at Christmas, I can see it at her house. - so does that mean you guys did not see the backstage footage? Hmm, I don't think that is in any vault. Anyway, I bouoght a second copy to keep pristine - yes, I always have a pristine sealed copy of everything.

I gave away my open Kmart copy to the woman who gave me electricity for a week at the beach, when I was sitting around my trailer waiting for the electricion, only to find there was a third breaker box located on someone else's property that was clicked off. Hey, the wires are buried, and the trailer park guy said there was only 2 breaker boxes and tested and said I had power in my trailer, so the problem was mine. I should make him pay the 100 dollar visit bill, not to mention a refridgerator full of rotten food that still smelled when I sealed it for the winter.

I need someone to stop me. I wrote a two page tome on the difference between fact and opinon and the different ways people post and how harmful rumor to fact is - using an article posted in the den as a source. If I post this, I think I will become the most hated poster because I use specific examples of people and the way they twist words, while claiming not to say anything. I am not a good writer, so something will be offensive.

I will answer the questions later - looks like fun, my gulity pleasure has nothing to do with Clay and the book I was just reading may become fireplace fodder because it infuriated me saying everything I believe in is wrong and stating that there are proper ways of doing things, and everything I am doing is wrong, despite that fact that is seems to work jsut fine. The problem is this is a quite revered expert, and I have a crazed semi trained dog. DIfference - he claims any dog can be saved and triedto get custody of the two dogs in the new york apartment that attacked and killed and partially ate that woman - to retrain them. The city denied him and put the dogs to death. For me, once a dog has eaten someone, it's over, biting is bad, killing is very bad, but eating is going too far. Then he suggest sleep ing with your dog - to me a dogf is a dog and does not belong in your bed - that is just dirty and icky - and I am one who gives my dog a lot of affection and priviledge - but it also has to know that I am number 1 and it has to wait for my permission to do things like eat or run free (does not always do that, but sometimes). But I digress - Today is Friday and I need to find some oops video.

Geez in the itme I composed this post, every one went crazy

looks for butter fly net

Edited by playbiller

When my puppy was alive he ALWAYS slept in my bed - until he had back problems and wasn't allowed to jump up on the bed anymore. He was always able to sleep on the bed, the sofa, basically wherever he wanted to. I was raised and still believe that dogs are better than most people and should be treated accordingly! :)

I now let my cat sleep on my bed - although he tends to like sleeping on my chest! Of course, just try stopping a cat from sleeping wherever they want! :blink:

My animals have always been the #1 priority in my home. I have no children (never wanted them - always would rather have dogs - and now cats), but I cannot imagine treating any child I may have had better than I treat my pets.

I bet Clay lets Raleigh and/or Durham sleep in his bed!

KAndre scribbles furiously, taking extensive notes for her new hit soap, As The Clayfan Turns...
That sounds like an Emmy winner to me! Heaven knows there would never be a shortage of drama! :lol:

*joins ldyjocelyn in the corner, brings along some spicy Doritos for company*

I loved ACAC. I particularly love the duets with Barry. I tend to put them put them in the middle of random mixed CDs I make for the car, just to scare people. *eg*

I love surveys too, when I'm bored and don't feel like working. Which is pretty much how I feel today, since I've done nothing but email and surf the pod-people boards.

What's your name?

luckiest1, because once upon a time I was considered a lucky person. Long long time.

What's in your iPod (or CD player)?

Everything Clay has ever recorded or sang live. Seriously. Plus a bunch of other stuff like Beatles, solo Beatles, Elton John, Billy Klippert, Amanda Marshall, Fleetwood Mac.....1000 songs in total.

What is "your song" at karaoke?

OMG never.

What's your favorite time of day?

Early, early morning, especially when I'm walking on a beach in Cuba, sipping Chai tea.

What book are you reading right now?

Can't remember the name, but it's a British murder/mystery, and it's one of a series. I read the rest in Cuba.

What's your favorite website?

www.cubaweather.org. Are you sensing a theme yet? :P

What's your favorite old movie (DVD)?

I have a few - Fried Green Tomatos, Boys on the Side, Bridge Over Madison County, A Fish Called Wanda

What's your favorite current movie?

Anything I go to see at the theatre with cindilu2, cuz we have fun no matter how bad it is! And The Lake House, cuz I missed it with cindilu2 but I saw it on the plane home from Cuba.

What is set on your television DVR?

I'll join the "Waaaaaaaaa I want one!!!!!" club. I'd have to say anything that Clay is scheduled to be on (except ETalk which I am boycotting for the rest of my life), and the OC. I don't watch much TV.

If you weren't in show business, what other career would you consider?

Heh, I'd love to be a travel planner.....to Cuba!

What is the strangest job you've ever held?

School bus driver.

What was the exact moment you became an adult?

So glad someone else fessed up to being an adult too. *sniff* The day I realized that being a parent wasn't all fun and kicks, it was a lot of hard work. I was 22, my first child was 2 months old, full of colic, and screaming her head off, while my soon-to-be-ex-husband was nowhere to be found.

If you could trade places with one person for just ten minutes, who would it be?

Clay Aiken. I'd love to know what goes through his mind when he thinks about his fans.

What was your last purchase?

Food? Starbuck's Chai Tea. Non-food? A large, purple pimp's hat. For my son. For Halloween.

What's in your carry-on bag?

Fitting question, since I still haven't unpacked it! People magazine with Clay's centrefold. Lots of sunscreen. Brochures and sand from Cuba.

What's under your bed? :

Slippers and my clack keeper.

What's your guilty pleasure?

Ryan from the OC, since I have no guilt over my Clay obsession. And Cuba!

What's your guilty pleasure?

Ryan from the OC, since I have no guilt over my Clay obsession. And Cuba!

Oh goody! Another O.C. watcher! I'm a Seth and/or Sandy woman myself! :lol:

ETA: And JeannaZ - YAY! There are at least two of us who watch Standoff!! Maybe now it stands a chance of survival!

Edited by Claygasm

I loved ACAC. I particularly love the duets with Barry. I tend to put them put them in the middle of random mixed CDs I make for the car, just to scare people. *eg*

Snorts, hugs luckiest1, and regifts her with a shuttle model from last Christmas.

If you could trade places with one person for just ten minutes, who would it be?

Clay Aiken. I'd love to know what goes through his mind when he thinks about his fans.

Could you spare a moment to, umm, look down and take some measurements and whatnot while you're in there?

Well, I thought for a minute there that I'd scared bottlecap away with my cheez doodle hands, but I see that luckiest1 (aka "Cuba Queen") is more than willing to get her hands dirty with me. YAY!

playbiller, love ya babe.

Could you spare a moment to, umm, look down and take some measurements and whatnot while you're in there?

Now, what kind of "whatnot" are you talking about missie? :P

My husband was away on a business trip last night...and it was the coldest night of the year so far this season. Fortunately, my cats kept me warm and toasty. Also prevented me from turning over at any time during the evening. I think cats swallow weights before going to sleep at night so that you're trapped in the bedcovers and in a particular position.

God, I love this place. Even when disagreements appear, senses of humor and respect stay pretty much in tact.

WOOHOO for sellouts!

Just remembered this -- on Simply Clay, they are reporting that the Year 2 OFC packs are arriving!!! YAY!

Post-hoing because I can....

100 Greatest Modern Male Pop Vocalists

Clay is number 26 on the list. YAY!

BTW, Ruben's on there too, at number 73. It's a very interesting list, to be sure...don't think I agree with their rankings. Heh. Clay -- number 1 baybee!

Oh the drama -- I am so torn about ACAC. I liked it because it was completely without guile and they passed on silly comedy skits. I thought the set was pretty, and I liked Clay's, Yolanda's and Megan's solo songs.

The group sings not so much. Now I never argue with anyone, or try to change their mind, when I hear them say that Clay gets on their nerves or they don't like his music. It's just a reaction and it happens sometimes. I'm like that with Manilow. I know he has a gazillion fans and they love him, but I don't get him. (I'm sorry, luckiest1!)

So I don't know whether to eat Cheetos in the corner or stand in the middle of the room feeling awkward.

Yeah, I bought a copy. Checked out the behind the scenes extras and it was all Barry. I don't know where it is now.

On the bright side, my Mom loved it. Adored every minute and she has it on tape.

That's not a bad list. But I have no idea who Adam Lopez is and he's all the way up there at #3.

Hey, we're getting close to 80 pages on this thread, and it only took us about two months, instead of the year the first one lasted. Ansa and Couchie, are we looking at a new thread soon, with a daily banner change perhaps? [Yeah, I finally got around to voting, and it was hard, dudes. There are some rilly, rilly good choices over there in the banner contest thread.]

So I don't know whether to eat Cheetos in the corner or stand in the middle of the room feeling awkward.

I'm doing neither - just wandering around in the kitchen snorfing down the leftover Halloween candy. ^_^

That's not a bad list. But I have no idea who Adam Lopez is and he's all the way up there at #3.

You don't know who Adam Lopez is? How can you not know who Adam Lopez is?

If course, I have no idea who Adam Lopez is either, but here is his Wikipedia page and here is his official site.

I'm still in disbelief that Tom Jones is #1!